Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »
Mar 13, 2021 10:28 PM

Mar 2020
i understood everything yet i understood nothing but i definitely understood something...if it had been a bit less abstract or a bit self explanatory then i would have liked it even more but anyways....it was an amazing clusterfuck....definitely for elitist watchers. It could have become a great plot and character driven story but is still good.
Apr 2, 2021 12:33 AM

Jun 2020
I'm still confused as fuck lmao

But now I can start watching the video essays so hopefully I'll understand what I just watched better then
Apr 2, 2021 3:03 PM

Feb 2021
Better than the TV series ending imo.
Apr 3, 2021 12:00 PM

Jan 2021
FrontierAKhil said:
just finished watching for the second time and it still gives me the chills.

FrontierAKhil said:
Just a few hours ago finished watching it for the 3rd time and I am still shocked just like the first time. It still continues to baffle me

Biggest mood ever lol. I finished it like 2 weeks or so ago and I still can't stop thinking about it.
Apr 15, 2021 9:07 PM
Jan 2011
Great movie 8/10 i'd give it a 10/10 if Shinji killed Asuka like he was going to but sadly he didn't follow through what a let down that was.
May 13, 2021 1:13 PM

Apr 2021
phantom360 said:
Great movie 8/10 i'd give it a 10/10 if Shinji killed Asuka like he was going to but sadly he didn't follow through what a let down that was.

That's quite fucked up of you.

As for my thoughts on the movie, I'd say episodes 25 and 26 are supposed to complement it, not be replaced by it.

Overall, it was quite a moving experience.

5/5.
May 27, 2021 8:12 PM

Jan 2021
Wtf did I just watch... I don’t like Shinji... Asuka deserved better... It made me bawl my eyes out when Asuka was killed. Shinji strangulating her didn’t help my hatred him either. During the whole live action stuff, I had no idea wtf I was watching.
under”Mebius” is my salvation

Jun 1, 2021 3:07 PM

Nov 2019
Holy shit I don't think I have the vocabulary to describe my thoughts of this movie/series.

死神

What do you think are the most important things in life? Money, dreams, sympathy towards others...

Yes, they're all important things as well... But the most important thing is responsibility for your own actions.
- Yuichi
Jun 12, 2021 10:31 PM

Apr 2020
What the fuck in this fucking world did I just fucking watched

Sorry for too much cursing but plss let me vent here.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCKF CUKF CUKF CUFKC FUCKF CUCKFN NC7 AAAAAAAAÀAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHAAAAAAAT. THE FUUUUUUUUU7UU77UUUUUUUUUUUUCK KSMSNKKIWJDJD72NKEIFHDBEJDJFUDUDUFJFUUJJIN W HAT THE FUCK WTF WTFB WYF WTF WTF KAAAAAA WHTT WTFFFF DUDE WWHAT
THE
FUCK
Jun 13, 2021 7:24 AM
Mar 2021
Ok that's the most fucked up anime movie I have ever watched

10/10 obviously
Jun 27, 2021 7:01 AM
Jun 2021
Easily the best anime movie I've seen. This beat spirited away for me
Hello there, have a nice day!
Jul 4, 2021 11:06 AM
Jul 2018
I had like a wall of text to post but deleted it all because it was stupid.

But I certainly can't stop thinking about this episode. It's extremely satisfying and yet not at all. It's reassuring but also worst case scenario.

I will say that the movie was extremely enjoyable. NGE finally returned to their traditional animation from the earlier episodes, if not improving it more. It was super smooth and coherent, and they took a break from the abstraction. But the more abstract scenes also really worked well in this movie. They were a lot more understandable and entertaining.

Just like other people, though, I can't find the words to properly express the emotions I had regarding -- everything, really. But twelve hours later, I still can't stop thinking about the movie. It's been awhile since a movie's taken a toll on me like that.
removed-userJul 4, 2021 11:16 AM
Jul 7, 2021 12:09 PM

Mar 2020
Honestly the original anime ending was better...I dont remember much since i watched it a long time ago but what was the purpose of how disgusting and everyone dying on earth?And in the anime the themes of depression were good but in the movie...Honestly i lost every bit of respect i had for shinji...They were being attacked and what he did? I mean no matter how depressed you are, some things are obvious to do(I mean i have gone through it and i personally dont relate to this at all) and ngl they just stretched the idea way to much and that kiss....I dont even want to talk about it because even after that shinji just acted in a rather frustrating way(I literally wanted to slap him infact he actually needed a good dose instead of a Kiss by his guardian!!)
234MannanJul 7, 2021 12:14 PM
Jul 13, 2021 10:15 AM
Feb 2021
What the hell was that???!!
My head really hurts now.
I can only say WTF.
But I enjoyed it.
Aref-3831Jul 13, 2021 10:54 PM
Aug 5, 2021 9:17 AM
Jun 2021
*SOMEWHAT SPOILER* Something doesn't make sense to me... The masturbation scene at the very beginning with Shinji and Asuka I think shows a lot of character development with Shinji's character but when does the scene exactly take place? In the show I don't remember Asuka ever being unconscious or in the hospital till that scene and the last scene we see of her in the show is her taking a bath and before that fighting with Rei. Did the masturbation part even happen or something made up in their head because Asuka wakes up in her Eva in the water fighting in the movie around 20 minutes... If anyone can help me understand what the heck happen that would mean a lot. thanks.
Aug 9, 2021 12:54 AM
Jun 2020
Well that was interesting.
Aug 11, 2021 4:47 PM

Dec 2015
Finally finished my rewatch of the series just before the rebuild movies are avaiable on the 13th. I've watched the main series first when Netflix released them and anyone that knows me knew I didn't liked it.

For me, it had a good start with really good dialogues and surprisingly amazing characters for its time. In fact, I always said NGE characters are much to superior to nowadays characters in almost all aspects. However, the last part of the tv series was a terrible experience, mainly because of frustation of the plot keep adding questions while reaching the end, making the experience less understandable. For me, episode 25 and 26 were just the culmination of this lack of proper explanation and I was sure the author couldn't really do a satsfying conclusion.

And then I watch this movie, and while I thought the start was good, as soon as the visual fuckery started, I couldn't absorb what was on the screen. My whole experience was just: "Oh sure, this is happening" for the entire thing. In the 2nd half, all I could do is laugh, because the only thing I could think is that the author was desperatly trying to make his movie feel deep by throwing random symbolism and live action sequences, ignoring explanations for the plot while focusing only in developing its themes. I've tried to see explanations online, but most of the stuff I've already understand, and I didn't believe that the other explanation was inside the anime (it was just an hypothesis). I've gave them both an 5/10, mainly because I enjoyed the characters and the themes, but hated all the rest.

Meanwhile, I've heard how much people didn't liked them because they didn't have the "essence" of the original series. And I had hope this "essence" was exactly my problems (lack of proper explanation) and the rebuild movies were better. Knowing that the rebuild would change some key elements from the 2nd movie forward, I've decided to give another chance since the rebuild movies would be avaiable on Prime Video. And I've also said a considerable amount of times I'd be open minded about my opinion.

And after this marathon I gotta say... I've changed my mind. Although not fully. Knowing some of the explanations made a lot of scenes in the original series far more understandable them they were before. Like knowing Lilim is humanity. I could also spot precise moments when the series explained some stuff I wasn't absorbing. This made the whole characters journey flow more properly and gave me a satsfying product. However I must say, there's a difference between "show and not tell" and poorly explained. There are so many elements that the show doesn't try to take its time to properly explain an important element of the story, and that's an objective flaw. People can't argue this is a "character show" or a "visual experience" when the show actively ask questions (usually using Misato) for the viewer get curious about what is happening. Because of this, this end arc is considerably affected, and something I could legitimely consider a 10/10 is reduced to a 7/10. But since the main series for the most part was a solid set up and the characters carried the emotional aspect of it, it stays an 8/10.

Honestly I'm just happy that this time, I think I can finally understand why so many people believe it's a masterpiece. I'd consider it too, but I can't forgive its flaws, although overall, I find it a really good experience. Now, all that's left is the rebuild movies.
Aug 11, 2021 4:55 PM

Dec 2015
Soullyy said:
*SOMEWHAT SPOILER* Something doesn't make sense to me... The masturbation scene at the very beginning with Shinji and Asuka I think shows a lot of character development with Shinji's character but when does the scene exactly take place? In the show I don't remember Asuka ever being unconscious or in the hospital till that scene and the last scene we see of her in the show is her taking a bath and before that fighting with Rei. Did the masturbation part even happen or something made up in their head because Asuka wakes up in her Eva in the water fighting in the movie around 20 minutes... If anyone can help me understand what the heck happen that would mean a lot. thanks.

It's shown on episode 24 around 15:20. It was mentioned that she was there because of her mind break after the angel attacked her mind.
Aug 14, 2021 7:06 PM

Jan 2021
What an ending I really don’t what else to say

Aug 16, 2021 7:23 PM

Aug 2020
a very complex mind blowing movie, i love how this ending went than the NGE series very extraordinary :D

Now I feel very empty after watching this, time to watch the rebuild ones

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Aug 22, 2021 1:19 AM
Jun 2021
Well i like the first half but the second half is just mindefuck
Aug 30, 2021 3:56 AM
Sep 2020
The movie got me madly messed up after watching..I still don't know what did I honestly just watch
Sep 20, 2021 12:08 AM
Dec 2014
SUPER_CANNES said:
FrontierAKhil said:
just finished watching for the second time and it still gives me the chills.

FrontierAKhil said:
Just a few hours ago finished watching it for the 3rd time and I am still shocked just like the first time. It still continues to baffle me

Biggest mood ever lol. I finished it like 2 weeks or so ago and I still can't stop thinking about it.

just a few minutes ago finished it for the 4th time and I still cant imagine the horror it has... I still get the goosebumps...
masterpiece and also kind of evil
FrontierAKSep 21, 2021 12:18 AM
Sep 29, 2021 2:20 PM
Nov 2020
My diss appointment is immeasurable, it was an excellent show but to be honest I don’t understand any of the ending, the last two episodes of the show I kinda get but the last 40 mins of that movie is so confusing. What the fuck even happened I don’t get anything, extremely unsatisfying ending.
Oct 10, 2021 2:51 AM
Aug 2020
WTF Shinji doing at the first beginning part? It's just EWWWW :(

Anyone knows why is Shinji choking Asuka at the end?
Oct 23, 2021 1:01 PM

Sep 2016
a reminder that this is one of the best things i have ever seen
Nov 4, 2021 11:29 AM

Jul 2019
Just my thoughts on the series:
To be honest I didnt get the whole adam lillith angels stuff nor do I know what actually happened to Yui it was too subtle but this anime was enjoyable nonetheless. I feel like understanding and feeling for the characters are the far more important thing.
Nov 16, 2021 10:12 PM
Dec 2020
Neon Genesis Evangelion broke me.
End of Evangelion threw my pieces into a blender, turned me into a smoothie, spilled me onto the floor, sopped me up with a paper towel, and accidentally used that paper towel to cover some microwaveable bacon.

Best, most depressing drug trip I've ever been on. Only real issue is how much tiddy there was. 10/10.
Nov 20, 2021 9:18 AM

Aug 2020
Bruh, did Shinji just wank off to his comatose friend? Damn.

So yeah, that ending just happened. Confusing, yes; however, I do understand the bare minimum of what this movie is trying to convey. Regardless, I still need to search for an explanation.

This movie replaces either/or adds to the series of episodes 25 and 26. Even though I enjoyed the movie more, I liked the ending of the original series, despite it being such a bore-fest.

My overall rating can differ from it being a 3-8 out of 10. This factors in enjoyment and it being an experimental show (it not made for everyone).

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Nov 25, 2021 8:49 AM

Dec 2020
Only thing I like about this series is it did something out of the box. But one just can't have 220,000 concepts thrown in and doesn't even explain half of 'em.

Some things that annoyed me:-
- Music (are we suppose to laugh while asuka's struggling)
- Those flashing images. Do not watch this in a dark environment. SAVE YOUR EYES.
- Instead of making something angle like, they put giant girl with boobs (ofc)
- That head (reminds me of "hanging balloons" by Junji ito).
- Late realisation (of MC), just to make things more complicated.

I've seen much worse, so wouldn't call it a mindf@#k, just a mess.

I should stop now, though I could go on. Also, watch rebuilds as well.
Nov 27, 2021 9:39 AM
Nov 2020
Remember when this show was about penguins and beer? Good times, man. Good times.
Dec 18, 2021 8:51 AM

May 2019
I thought this was brilliant. I won't write an essay on all my thoughts as the ending was well panned out. Also, most people have probably written a lot about this film and series.
My only last questions after episode 24 of the show were 'What are Seele's motives?' 'What are Gendou's motives?' And it was mainly the latter. This movie explained that for me.
What a cerebral, mind-blowing work of art. I never thought I'd get into a mecha, though it's so much more than that. I can see why some people either hate or love this.
Dec 18, 2021 12:52 PM

Dec 2021
Nagisa_89 said:
WTF Shinji doing at the first beginning part? It's just EWWWW :(

Anyone knows why is Shinji choking Asuka at the end?

I think a good interpretation is that, after rejecting instrumentality, he felt the need to experiment opposition and otherness again, that's why once Asuka caressed him he bursted in a cry, since he finally was able to experience otherness through affection instead of opposition
Dec 28, 2021 8:18 AM

Apr 2020
When a 14 year old is actually a 14 year old in anime

Just mind blown at what I just witnessed

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
KuniiDec 29, 2021 12:40 AM
water
Dec 30, 2021 11:53 PM

Feb 2021
Ah yes, the most perfect ending to a series ever made
CrackJan 3, 2022 10:53 PM
Jan 1, 2022 1:46 AM
Dec 2014
watched it for the fifth time.
I am still shocked by the ending.
perfect execution and lore.
Jan 4, 2022 7:11 AM

Jul 2021
Compared to the end of the anime, this one was much better, but even so it wasn't very good, because even though it was still possible to understand a good part of the main points, it was still very confusing.
In the end, why didn't Asuka end up in the same way as other people and why did Shinji try to kill her?
asdasdsadad
Jan 7, 2022 6:58 AM

Dec 2013
Lewahoy said:
Compared to the end of the anime, this one was much better, but even so it wasn't very good, because even though it was still possible to understand a good part of the main points, it was still very confusing.
In the end, why didn't Asuka end up in the same way as other people and why did Shinji try to kill her?

Asuka rejected Instrumentality, just like anyone can. Asuka was one of the first ones out, even before Shinji. She even says it during the Instrumentality "I'd rather die than do it with you"
Why Shinji tried to strangle Asuka is up to interpretation, and it's great that way. The film is pure unbridled emotion in anime form, you can feel Anno's heart.
Jan 7, 2022 7:40 AM

Jul 2021
Whayle said:
Lewahoy said:

Asuka rejected Instrumentality, just like anyone can. Asuka was one of the first ones out, even before Shinji. She even says it during the Instrumentality "I'd rather die than do it with you"
Why Shinji tried to strangle Asuka is up to interpretation, and it's great that way. The film is pure unbridled emotion in anime form, you can feel Anno's heart.

Thanks for explaining!
LelewoskiJan 7, 2022 7:47 AM
asdasdsadad
Jan 15, 2022 6:38 PM

Mar 2018
Sooooooo much better than the last two EP's from the series, I would have outright skipped the last two if I knew it would be night and day like this.

The visuals and feeling this one brought was amazing.

If this had been included in the series instead of the original 25/26, it could have been a 8/10 for me.

7/10 original series

8/10 EoE
Celest__Feb 10, 2022 9:53 PM
Jan 28, 2022 1:29 AM
Aug 2021
This is probably the best thing i've laid my eyes upon
Feb 11, 2022 8:49 PM

Jan 2021
I came 8 times. It was worth it.
8/10
Feb 14, 2022 11:46 PM

Dec 2020
The first part of the movie,I enjoyed the most but the end of second part again interrupt me to give the series and this movie a 10 but really enjoyed watching evangelion and ya one of the confusing series also I have seen.I really underestimate evangelion,I thought that I will understand everything but yk very well.

9/10

For your Information:

Feb 26, 2022 1:27 PM

Feb 2020
The original ending was perfect. Nothing of value was added here. Why tf do people like this?
Mar 22, 2022 6:49 PM

Feb 2021
mazuchi said:
The original ending was perfect. Nothing of value was added here. Why tf do people like this?
your right. I just rewatched this movie for the third time since six months ago and realized the series was already perfect as it is. All this was was nice action and great animation
Mar 26, 2022 1:43 PM
Jul 2020
Awokawok si Shinji malah sange terus onani jirr. Gass!

Apr 9, 2022 5:53 AM

Dec 2021
good but i thought og eva ending was way better since

1) ends off better thematically and has better character conclusions and message
2) i feel it misses the point of eva

that being said, the first 30-40 minutes of this movie are the best. asuka kicking ass is probably my favorite bit. the entire third impact didn't really age well for me. only really liked that scene cuz of komm susser todd (still think its a great song)
cosmicoisrealApr 9, 2022 6:43 AM
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Apr 9, 2022 8:11 PM
Jul 2018
I have utterly no idea what the fuck I just watched. I’m gonna need to find some YouTube videos to explain this shit to me
Apr 10, 2022 8:55 PM

Aug 2019
I don't think i could properly express the emotions i felt watching this movie, all i can say is what an absolute masterpiece of a mind fuck. This feel like Anno Hideaki thought "how many different ways can we fuck up humanity and make these 3 characters snap?" and fuck me he did it incredibly well.

To cut things down, what my small brain could comprehend from watching, which is likely to be wrong and obviously a subjective pov was:
This is a redo of ep 25-26 however Shinji, Asuka, Rei are pushed to the absolute edge, and the entirety of humanity is also put on now on the gambling board as everyone suffers. The NERV employees sacrificing themselves to hold SEELE invasion off, Misato going all out to give Shinji(humanity) the last hope they got. Gendou in the end lost, his plan backfiring and his executioner was ironically Shinji himself with SEELE getting what they want. Ritsuko's plan from what i believe was doomed to fail anyway.

Asukua (i think) pushed to her limit merged with Unit02 and filled(?) the space in her heart that was the supposed AT-Field, Shinji after similarly being pushed to his absolute limit did the same. Shinji is the key to the third impact happening or not, so his experience in life ultimately dictate his choice. We see all the negativity, his view of others, then his reaction when everyone merges and he sees the other side of them, again breaking him and causing the third impact. Rei was a bit complicated for me, i think she rejects Gendou and being a tool, doing what she wants which i think lined with SEELE's aims but ultimately her goal (or Yui's goal) was Shinji.

To sum up my interpretation of the ending, in this version, Shinji is at the absolute lowest point he was, thinking he had nothing and wanted to be nothing, finally to a degree after consultation from Rei(Yui?) and Kaworu decides to give life another shot and live regardless of the punches.
So how this reflects on humans is, it brought the AT-Fields that separates us back and turned a losing situation for everyone to a kinda winning one.

Animation for a show that came out in 1997 had some amazing, fluent action. Some of the best iconic scenes i've ever seen an anime produce, not just the "one or two rememberable to you" scenes. but the "show anyone this single freeze frame and 9/10 times they know where its from" scenes.

Voice acting was fucking wildly amazing. I do not think i've actually ever heard voice acting this well done ever.

All in all, this watch was a 10/10. Maybe i'm to confused on what i watched therefore giving a 10/10 on something i don't understand seemed appropriate, but what i can say is what ever i watched i fucking loved it and i genuinely thought it was a work of art. Off to youtube now to actually find out wtf i watched.
May 4, 2022 9:47 PM

Feb 2021
I'm gonna restrain myself from talking about the Shinji fap scene

Woah did Misato really have a french kiss with a 14 y/o kid? Also, why did they kill off mommy Misato :(

Poor Asuka really had it hard. She literally got her Eva speared to death. I never hated Shinji before but now I can't stand him. He was bitching when Asuka needed his help and then when he sees her Eva mutilated, he was so shocked and horrified. What the fuck was he expecting?

Damn, Rei really became a god-like being and changed everyone to their primordial form, LCL.

Loved this movie. Much, much better than ep 25 and 26. They were way too confusing.

I believe a lot of the first part of the movie was shown in the 2nd part of the Death and Rebirth movie. SEELE's siege over NERV was shown in it.

The ending was a bit confusing for me. I think I'll have to look up a YT video explaining it.

◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐
"Everything I've witnessed... This whole system you have built has always rejected me. Now I'm ready to reject it. That's why I destroy. That's why I took this power for myself. Simple enough, yeah? I don't care if you don't understand... That's what makes us... Heroes and Villains."
◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »

More topics from this board

» A(No-Other) Psychanalytic Take on Evangelion's Angelology

rawruwu - Sep 19

5 by Lone_Wayfarer »»
Sep 22, 5:46 PM

» A(No-Other) Psychanalytic Take on Evangelion's Cosmology

rawruwu - Aug 7

6 by rawruwu »»
Sep 19, 4:34 PM

» A(No-Other) Psychoanalytic Take on "One More Final: I Need You"

rawruwu - Aug 2

9 by rawruwu »»
Aug 7, 11:47 AM

» Does the hospital scene count as a shock video?

JustSomeone15 - Jul 2

17 by TRVE_Levitoathan »»
Aug 2, 2:18 AM

» Is Evangelion really a work of art in what it rendered?

Thecrot - Jun 5

31 by Thecrot »»
Jul 3, 12:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.