Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 16, 2023 7:51 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to Adnash
@Leon888 You say I think wrong, but from my perspective, what I said was rather accurate. Hell's Paradise's animation wasn't a sakugafest comparable with titans like aforementioned earlier in this thread JJK Season 1, but it really looked better than average seasonal anime. You say it doesn't take much to achieve this, but yet, we can easily notice the difference between quality of "regular seasonal anime" and shows than present higher quality than them.
@Adnash It really didn't. At all. Jigokuraku had plenty of cases of stiff animation, constantly off-model characters and blatant coloring/editing errors.
Sep 16, 2023 1:57 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Oongbuh
@Adnash It really didn't. At all. Jigokuraku had plenty of cases of stiff animation, constantly off-model characters and blatant coloring/editing errors.
@Oongbuh It had few underwhelmingly done elements here or there, I don't deny it. But still, in my opinion, its animation was better than average seasonal anime's.

Also, remember we are talking about animation, not art style or visuals in general. Half of things you've mentioned in your post had more to do with art inconsistencies than with animation itself.
Sep 17, 2023 1:41 PM
Dec 2017
Reply to Adnash
@Leon888 You say I think wrong, but from my perspective, what I said was rather accurate. Hell's Paradise's animation wasn't a sakugafest comparable with titans like aforementioned earlier in this thread JJK Season 1, but it really looked better than average seasonal anime. You say it doesn't take much to achieve this, but yet, we can easily notice the difference between quality of "regular seasonal anime" and shows than present higher quality than them.
@Adnash I don't agree, just look at Sakugaboru too, there are only a few really well animated cuts in hell's paradise, the rest was just saving money and that's it. Mappa has disappointed expectations once again, this anime should have been animated by A1 pictures or Ufotable
Oct 1, 2023 11:00 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to Leon888
@Adnash I don't agree, just look at Sakugaboru too, there are only a few really well animated cuts in hell's paradise, the rest was just saving money and that's it. Mappa has disappointed expectations once again, this anime should have been animated by A1 pictures or Ufotable
@Leon888 Well, I think otherwise, so we can agree to disagree here.

What I can agree with is the part about some cuts looking maybe not tragic, but clearly standing out from the rest. Tight schedule usually is the reason why such things happen. Again, I don't think they looked half bad, but they stood out and it wasn't hard to notice, which - in result - affected negatively the animation consistency of scenes with that kind of cuts.

About alternative studios, dunno. I think MAPPA was the best choice, but it's just a matter of preference, I guess.

As for expectations, hmm... It's always good to not be hyped too much or upset before the show starts airing. That way you can just enjoy the series and look at it from rather neutral point of view.

What's more, don't forget about one small, yet important thing. Back when the first episode of the anime was released, it was long after the manga's final chapter had been released. No manga to keep up the hype and have the anime adaptation to boost its sales significantly also could be (I ain't saying it was; I'm just wondering) the factors of why Jigokuraku wasn't as high on the list of priorities than, dunno, JJK.

Jigokuraku manga's sales were even better than decent, but not spectacular enough to nullify lesser interest in the series after the final chapter's premiere. Especially among Japanese anime and manga enjoyers.

(apologies for a late response)
AdnashOct 1, 2023 11:05 AM
Oct 1, 2023 11:33 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Adnash
@Oongbuh It had few underwhelmingly done elements here or there, I don't deny it. But still, in my opinion, its animation was better than average seasonal anime's.

Also, remember we are talking about animation, not art style or visuals in general. Half of things you've mentioned in your post had more to do with art inconsistencies than with animation itself.
@Adnash here is an example https://twitter.com/Nakayasee/status/1708159642264604791 and that is common through out the show
Oct 1, 2023 11:50 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to deg
@Adnash here is an example https://twitter.com/Nakayasee/status/1708159642264604791 and that is common through out the show
@deg Yup, more than art inconsistency than actual animation. Plus that kind of scenes appearing from time to time is not something that'd justify calling any animated series as "shit" (I'm referring to the comment from the link you've posted). Underwhelming? Yeah. Wacky? Sure, that's not a bad way to word it. But "shit"? Some people must be spoiled with seeing only really well animated series to freely go with such harsh words. I saw quite a lot of animations in my life and trust me, Jigokuraku's animation is nowhere close to the worst examples of anime I happened to watch. ;D
Oct 1, 2023 11:53 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Adnash
@deg Yup, more than art inconsistency than actual animation. Plus that kind of scenes appearing from time to time is not something that'd justify calling any animated series as "shit" (I'm referring to the comment from the link you've posted). Underwhelming? Yeah. Wacky? Sure, that's not a bad way to word it. But "shit"? Some people must be spoiled with seeing only really well animated series to freely go with such harsh words. I saw quite a lot of animations in my life and trust me, Jigokuraku's animation is nowhere close to the worst examples of anime I happened to watch. ;D
@Adnash the animation is so limited or has stiff animation and anime is already limited animation in general
Oct 6, 2023 3:53 AM
Oct 2019
I'm just saying that the guy who criticized CSM's animation by talking about CGI is the biggest clown in MAL.
Already in terms of animation there is nothing to say about CSM you are actors and then the "CGI" half the time is not even LMAO.
The animators actually put their animation boards on Twitter and showed that it was in 2D but that they made the movements heavy and slow to match the fact that Denji is carrying chainsaws, which can give the impression of be in CGI.
In short, don't argue with this madman.
Oct 29, 2023 5:59 PM
Jan 2021
Mappa Deserve Hell for What they did to Hell's Paradise
Moppa RUINED Hell's Paradise
It's why I quit the Anime for the Greater Manga
Dec 18, 2023 5:38 AM
Sep 2021
The animation was not bad to say but there were some moments which really irked me like the way Gabimaru's neck is drawn in this scene.
Dec 19, 2023 10:49 PM
Feb 2021
This guy is right, this show looks atrocious
Jan 5, 5:26 PM

May 2021
Reply to DexterDrubo
ktg said:
Lol, even with its mistakes, it has better quality than CSM or JJK S2 has. JJK S1 is better, but that's better than all 3 of these.
And they are weak, because they produced them after taking over SnK. After that there was a pretty obvious drop in quality.
The only show that was produced after that and has good quality all in all is Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi.

Fuck off lmao. You don't even have a inch bit of knowledge about animation. JJK S2 and CSM has the bets animation among all MAPPA Animes. JJK S1 is not even close to JJK 2.

Also Hell's Paradise had bad schedule and also it wasn't as big as JJK.
@DexterDrubo
You were definitely on drugs when you said "JJK S1 is not even close to JJK 2". You were either high, or you have some eye problem. CSM's animation I don't really carem its pretty good. JJK S2 has really good animations (for the most part), however that comes at the sacrifice of weaker artstyle. JJK S1 had both good animation AND good artstyle. You can think JJK S2 is good, but don't shit on JJK S1 like that. You are the one who needs to fuck off.
Jan 5, 5:30 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to unwatched_anime
The animation was not bad to say but there were some moments which really irked me like the way Gabimaru's neck is drawn in this scene.
@unwatched_anime His neck was so long it reminded me of those memes about Tokyo Revengers' characters having unnaturally long necks, lol.
Jan 5, 5:32 PM

May 2021
The first time I watched this it didn't seem that bad to me. But after rewatching some clips, yeah, the animation isn't the best out there. It's not that bad, but really just average
Jan 12, 1:08 AM

Jun 2009
Reply to Bubax
its animation is very good u just watch to much demon Slayer shit.
@Bubax Rich coming from someone who watched *everything* Kimetsu no Yaiba related
Meanwhile I haven't even finished the first season

but I'm sure you know what you're talking about, seeing how you watched all that Demon Slayer shit you've mentioned
Jan 12, 1:13 AM

Jun 2009
Reply to TheRealRouges
Mitsuru-Senpaii said:
Without throwing shade or anything, but I'm genuine interested why the animations of Jigokuraku feel so bad. I thought the show is from MAPPA, but this looks nothing like the quality Jujutsu Kaisen or Chainsaw Man provided. Does anyone know what the reasons might be? 

Maybe try to get a new pair of eyes… the community is worse and worse every day
@TheRealRouges nah my eyes are good enough and I got in this thread enough explanations why the budget was lower, ergo confirming that it got a different treatment than jjk or csm. that's enough for me lol
Jan 12, 1:14 AM

Jun 2009
Reply to CreepHazard
Short answer: Because MAPPA's producing too many shows

Long answer: (I really recommend you watch the video linked at the end)
So MAPPA has 3 major productions pipelines
The Seshimo team under Animation producer Seshimo Keisuke, who basically runs an insanely talented team of animators. They're currently handling JJK and Chainsaw Man on a b2b basis
The Attack on Titan pipeline under Wataru Kawagoe who are basically sweating their balls off producing Attack on Titan with a terrible schedule, although it's sort of under control now
The low priority pipeline under Animation producer Takahiro Ogawa which handles stuff like Tondemo skill and Dance Dance Danseur, although they do look good.

Here comes Jigokuraku. MAPPA literally didn't have any real animation teams to work on the show, no main action animator or anyone solid that could lift the show up from its grave. And hence it became a lifeless adaptation riddled with production meltdowns and yet somehow didn't get delayed at all.
So the extended answer is MAPPA literally had all their production pipelines filled and couldn't find any new animators to work on the show, add to that a very bad schedule and we get an extremely inconsistent animation.
But although that was the case with ANIMATION, the actual animation directors and show directors were very talented people, including the main director (I forgot her name)
So yeah basically no more fuel to run

watch this video for an in depth dive into the animation production of MAPPA over 2020-2023:
https://youtu.be/E4jtUEQIA6I?si=Rp_MKXshtDuaKcHR
@CreepHazard that's actually really interesting to know, thanks for all of that
Jan 12, 1:21 AM

Jun 2009
Reply to mo_lave
It's "bad" by MAPPA standards, but it's average or above average in my overall assessment. You can say they didn't prioritize this show among their vast ongoing portfolio i.e. it's done dirty.
@mo_lave would say the same. it certainly doesn't look bad compared to anime by other studios, but compared to other Mappa's it lacks, which is sad

here's to hope the second season will get a better look
Jan 19, 3:26 AM

Apr 2013
The animation didn't blow me away, but it is decent enough to not make me bothered by it at all.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Huge Problem

Leon888 - Aug 8

1 by J-Flo »»
Aug 11, 11:08 PM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2023

330 by Stefan221 »»
Aug 4, 9:47 AM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2023

359 by OnigirisBasket »»
Aug 3, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2023

312 by xx_moonglade_xx »»
Jul 30, 9:05 AM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2023

555 by xx_moonglade_xx »»
Jul 30, 9:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.