Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 14, 2023 10:49 AM
Dec 2018
Thank you very much for the list. @23feanor
Aug 14, 2023 12:09 PM

Apr 2019
filifjonkan said:
Thank you very much for the list. @23feanor
Yeah, thanks for managing the next pick. I've updated the list to consider recently completed shows, please let's use the usual place for voting and discussion -> here.

Aug 14, 2023 2:47 PM
Dec 2018
@inim of course!
Aug 15, 2023 1:30 AM

Jun 2019
Episode 13. Futaba gets a cold and appears like Hitoha, Hitoha then catches the cold and becomes hot, so all the guys in class want her to be their friend suddenly.

The girls adopt a cat, Futaba played as a cat and then Hitoha gets new gachi rangers doll, which the cat breaks.

Yabe-chi comes to the girls house for a home visit, we never had these in the UK, would be weird if your teacher came round to your house. The tv show was clearly the girls ripping the piss out of Yabe-chi, quite funny. Didn't like the whole scenario that came next, making a misunderstanding of Yabe-chi being at home alone with Hitoha and ending up in her bed looking dishevelled.

The final sketch about the amusement park was pretty damn sweet, with Mitsuba giving up her place so her sisters could go.

Not the best episode.

Overall I gave this season a high 6/10 (6.9). Some sketches were pretty damn funny, mostly those involving the girls, Satou and the class. However I wasn't so fond of the jokes where Yabe-chi ends up with his trousers down around the girls, or ends up in bed with Hitoha, just too damn weird. The direction, sound design and shot composition for some of the sketches really went above and beyond.

Onto season 2!
Aug 15, 2023 2:05 AM
Dec 2018
Ep 13, where the same disease, a common cold, has very different impact on people. @23feanor we didn't have home visits from our teacher, either. It was more like one of the parents came to the school to talk with the teacher.

The scene where Mitsuba gave upp her place in the amusement park was really nice to watch.
Aug 15, 2023 4:50 AM
Aug 2011
Episode 13 - Futuba is really sick but demands to get to school so as not to miss gym. She exudes an aura making the classmates confuse her for Hitoha. Then her sickness transfers to Hitoha, and oddly makes her really cute.

The girls have discovered a stray cat and talk the dad into letting them keep it, they get cat stuff but find the cat's missing. Hitohi goes catatonic, and then Futuba roleplays a cat to cheer her up, but gets WAY too into it. The dad finally reveals he got the cat for them but got arrested 3 times in the process. Hitoha then gets a gachi ranger toy, but the head flies off and the cat bats it under the fridge.

The teacher then heads for a home interview but the dad isn't home, he wants to play with the cat, but the dad overhears and thinks he's abusing Hitoha. The teacher confuses dad for a burglar, and the dad ends up beating him within an inch of his life. We then get a short Yabbechi's room final "episode" in which Yabbechi remonstrates Hitohi for not explaining things to her dad.

finally, Mitsuba wins tickets to an amusement park but there aren't enough tickets, so lies that she's got a thing to go to with Fujisaki. Turns out Fujisaki is going to Hokkaido that day and Futuba gets it in her head that Mitsuba is going there too. But Hitohi works it out and points out they have extra tickets. Futuba doesn't get the message and invites Shin with the extra ticket. Mitsuba feels left out but the family pick her up on the way, and dad shows he got more tickets. The episode ends with a nice acoustic version of the ending theme.
Aug 15, 2023 4:55 AM
Aug 2011
23feanor said:

There's a list of shows in the Interest for a Group Watch thread. I did a quick check and this is the list that @inim last compiled;
I'm going to comment on one or two of these in the other thread
Aug 15, 2023 10:06 AM

May 2019
Episode 12

Fallen a bit behind due to a long day of work yesterday (was traveling across country for part of it). Anyway, I got to watch this yesterday.

It's nice to get some characterization for a literal stand-out in the class (she's taller than the others), Miyashita. And yeah, she's the straight girl in the class, the one who sees all the ridiculousness and just tries to make sense of it. We get her misunderstanding that Hitoha just really doesn't like heights, and her later attempting to connect with Hitoha, only to look like she's groping her in gym and come out as a fake fan of Gatchi Rangers. It was a nice attempt.

And yeah, the Satou fan club gets a lot of attention. The dodgeball game was basically all about their quirks and, per the norm, ends with Satou looking perverted. We repeat this in part with Oga specifically, who becomes a pretty decent soccer player to get Satou's attention, then ends up jealous of the ball and yeets it far away before repeating the process with her panties because... she thinks he likes looking at them more than he does looking at her. Go commando if you've got to, I guess.

Some of these jokes are getting a little tired. Everything surrounding Satou has gotten a little stale, and though the Miyashita stuff is potentially interesting, it just turns into more misunderstandings regarding Gachi Ranger that have, thankfully, largely been resolved now. Not everything, though - Yabe-chi doesn't hear Hitoha's proclamation of love for the series, so he's still going to misunderstand her on that front, so they're still going to plumb that well.
Aug 15, 2023 11:33 AM

May 2019
Episode 13

Futaba actually looks a lot like Hitoha when she's sick, showcasing her same dark aura (she does this again later when she's angry). Even Nipples confuses them. Meanwhile, Hitoha becomes adorable and sparkly when she's sick. We've already seen what Mitsuba's like, so it's fine that they left her out.

Attempting to adopt a stray kitten, the girls prepare for its arrival... only for it to be taken away before they can pick it up. Seriously sad to watch Hitoha pour the food in the bowl, pour it back into the bag, and repeat over and over. Futaba can portray a cat pretty well, though. Turns out, their father picked up the cat, got arrested three times on the way back (seriously, that running gag never gets old), and brought it home. All's well that ends well.

Hitoha gets a Gachi Ranger action figure that shoots off the head, which inevitably ends up under the refrigerator because of the cat. Yabe-chi visits the house after this, enduring Hitoha alone at her worst, by which I mean sniping at his behaviors and thoughts. The dad returns home after having been arrested again, thinking that Yabe-chi molesting his daughter (yes, this again) and he's ready to kill Yabe-chi, red aura and eyes to boot along with some music that wouldn't be out of place in Friday the 13th, pulling a The Shining on the door (lot harder to do with a bat than an axe!) No wonder he keeps getting arrested, dude's scary. Yabe-chi suffers physical harm.

Hitoha visits Yabe-chi's room and promptly leaves.

Mitsuba wins a trip to the amusement park, which predictably seems more of a curse than a blessing as there are only two tickets. She imagines a wide variety of situations with Futaba and Hitoha that are all bad, ends up giving the tickets to them, instead piggy-backing on Miku's trip to Hokkaido. Turns out, though, that the tickets were for 2 people apiece, and rather than include Mitsuba again, Futaba asks Satou to come. Over the end credits, we get a new song and Mitsuba alone, though her family comes to find her with another ticket in tow... before their father gets arrested again. Yep, still enjoying that.

This was a pretty fun season of anime, albeit one that was pretty repetitive in terms of what types of humor it was going towards. A bit hit and miss for me with the jokes. Found myself recalling my watch of Aharen-san where there were some genuinely good draws for the series, but it just hasn't worked consistently as well as other shows in the genre for me. And yeah, the sexual humor just grew tired over time. Occasionally, this show throws in some pretty strong writing and surprisingly incredible shots, so that helps it a bit. 6.8/10.
Aug 16, 2023 2:50 AM
Dec 2018
Ep 14; this is mostly about the Gachi Rangers. When they are out on missions, they screw up everything. Hitoha is very confused and wonders what is going on. Right now, we are ”extra-parents” for one of our grandchildren, whose name is Lilly. My reviews of the episodes will therefore be somewhat short. Also, sorry for asking questions in the wrong thread.
Aug 16, 2023 3:06 AM

Jun 2019
@whiteflame55 I mainly remember Aharen-san because of the sudden romantic turn it took in ep 9, really wasn't expecting quiet Aharen to confess and kiss the guy, good on her. Otherwise a pretty forgettable show for me.

S2 Ep 1. We start with a gachi rangers opening, liked that. We kick off S2 with a gachi rangers sketch, meeting the villains. I've always had a thing for the evil villainess like Evil Lynn in He-Man so this first sketch made me chuckle watching the evil dudes all submit to the ladies whipping.

Ok so looks like we're getting a full sketch of the gachi rangers show, introducing us to the stereo typical cast, including perverted monster. The evil dudes (Gedoru) are trying to exacerbate the declining birth rate by targeting Japan's kids. Gachi rangers on the case. This was quite fun, with even a kindergarten and kids bus being blown up, along with the kids, harsh!

We pull back to see the sisters watching the show with Hitoha traumatised by how lame and weird the episode is and asking why the gachi rangers keep messing up.

Back to gachi rangers and the citizens of Saitama have had it with the gachi rangers incompetence and storm their base in pretty hilarious style. The gachi rangers set up a trap which crabdragon and Gedoru fall into ending up with crabdragon getting beaten the shit out of with knuckle dusters, again overly brutal for a kids show but funny.

That was a pretty decent opening to S2 and seeing Hitoha's reaction to the 'retarded' writing was priceless.

@filifjonkan hope you enjoy the time with your grandchild, do they like anime (Cardcaptor Sakura or alike?), suppose a subbed show like this is a bit much for a kid, especially the content. Don't worry about it being the wrong thread, no harm in asking. Have you seen Banana Fish as it looks like that's the next show after Mitsudomoe?
23feanorAug 16, 2023 3:09 AM
Aug 16, 2023 5:06 AM
Aug 2011
14 / s2-e1, A special episode of the Gachi Rangers.

A typical super-sentai show, starting with the villains planning an evil plan, which includes S&M and creating a monster of the week, Crabiron who shoots bubbles that dissolve people instantly. They plan to kill all the children in Japan. The Gachi Rangers fail to notice children killed by the bubbles or actively kill the children themselves while trying to fight the villains. Then the families of the children storm the Gachi Rangers headquarters, which is comically poorly hidden, demanding justice for their slain children. 

The Rangers figure the townsfolk are "brainwashed"then plan to kidnap more children themselves, to use as bait, before realizing children are running out, so use their smallest member, Gachi Yellow as bait. A super sentai type fight then ensues complete with all the story beats, but with some unnecessary vicious violence from the Gachis such as puching a dead body with spike knuckledusters and setting a corpse on fire. Finally, the townsfolk turn up to show that all the kids magically came back alive when they killed the monster, even the ones that were blown up on the bus by Gachi Pink or when the two other Gachis failed to disarm a bomb. Convenient!

Hitoha watches the episode horrified at how bad it is, but if this was areal show, that episode would go on to become as legendary as the Fonzie jumping the shark episode.

There's also a nice easter egg in the ED which is the main show's cast cosplaying as Gachi Rangers. Miyashita is in green and is accosted by an angry-looking Hitoha, so that's a nod to the previous season.

@filifjonkan i can vouch for Chicchana Yukitsukai Sugar as a good show that you could show to young kids with no problem, but also has a story with adult fans. Lots of people mention crying at the end of the series on Youtube comments on the OP, so yeah, it has some punch that most kid's shows wouldn't have. I'd also suggest it as a decent group watch for that reason. As a bit of trivia, the title character is played by Reba West in the English dub, best known for playing Minmay in the Robotech Macross version.
cipheronAug 16, 2023 8:09 AM
Aug 16, 2023 6:06 AM
Dec 2018
@23feanor thanks for your patience! I have introduced Lilly (8 years) to some of the child-friendly movies from studio Ghibli. Movies like My Neighbour Totoro and Kiki’s Special Deliverance. In Sweden, anime has a very small audience and, as far as I know, don’t make it to the big screen in theaters. Since the interest is on such a low level, almost no series/movies come with Swedish dub. Unlike many other languages, very few movies are dubbed, thanks heaven for that. We are simply used to subtitles and don’t mind it at all. 

I have seen Banana Fish and I thought it was a good series. When I look at the seinen-tag on MAL, I find that have watched almost of of the series. Right now, I am more or less binge-watching Kaguya-sama. But! I wouldn’t mind watch Banana Fish again. The most interestlng with watching anime together, is to read your comments, they are always interesting to read and give some new material to think about, details that I might have missed or new angles. Thank you, guys for your input!
Aug 16, 2023 8:06 AM
Dec 2018
@cipheron thank you so much for your recommendation! Most welcome and I will introduce it for Lilly, starting tomorrow. The series was on one of the ”high sea”-sites that I visit when I don’t find it on CR. I have been thinking of getting VPN, because most platforms have different contents for different countries. 
Aug 16, 2023 8:42 AM

May 2019
23feanor said:
@whiteflame55 I mainly remember Aharen-san because of the sudden romantic turn it took in ep 9, really wasn't expecting quiet Aharen to confess and kiss the guy, good on her. Otherwise a pretty forgettable show for me.
Yeah, you're not wrong. The sudden romantic turn was decent, but beyond that, it largely just had pretty uninteresting characters trying to evoke humor through repetition. Kind of worked at the start, wasn't working a few episodes in. I liked this season of Mitsudomoe more than I did Aharen-san (which largely coasted on looking cute), just thought there were some similarities in terms of trying to make humor happen through repetition.

Episode 14

I'm going to continue with the numbering convention because it doesn't seem like there's any substantial split between seasons.

Hey, we get to see how the Gatchi Rangers look outside their costumes. No wonder Futaba kept gushing about Pink's rack. Funny that the villains like the dominatrix treatment. Really, though, everyone's a pervert. Also, anyone notice that the face of the lead villain looks pretty similar to their dad? Even has a similar outline style. Also, Crabragon. No notes, just amazing and goofy terrifying monster design. Attacking with suds is truly the scariest monster attack next to those crab puns - does their villainy know no bounds!? Turns out this is actually dissolving them into foam, which... yeah, is pretty dark for a kid's show. Don't know why they bother with swords and explosions when they have this. Still, those absolutely pristine explosions graphics that definitely are practical effects are totally worth it.

Little touches in this are pretty fun. The Red Ranger had his driver's license revoked, so he can't drive. They have a mascot of sorts who just gets dragged along on a chain behind them the whole way. Dude likes it rough. Pink goes full Mission Impossible and disguises herself as a middle-aged man to catch the villains unawares. The real villains are the angry, violent mobs we made along the way who proceed to burn down the storefront façade for the Gatchi Rangers' base of operations. The Gachi Rangers find the bad guys through entrapment, To Catch a Predator-style, before busting out some spiked knuckles and just stabbing and stomping the hell out of the giant crustacean before shoving him into an oven and cooking him alive with some sunlight. Kids have anger issues. He grows in size (like you do) and they proceed to fight him in a giant pull-together mech with more realistic explosions. Everything goes magically back to normal after they win, as the kids are all revived, no one is mad anymore, and no one will be sued for property damage. 

Honestly, not too different from an average Power Rangers episode, so I was entertained. No, seriously, I unironically loved this one. For laughing at the absurdity of it, Mitsuba has her belly fold accosted. And yeah, fond of the ED here - nice touch to have Miyashita as the Green Ranger after she mistakenly believed there must be one in the show.
Aug 17, 2023 3:37 AM

Jun 2019
Em and Aria have gone out for the day so I'm treated to a day at home to relax. I say relax as I had to mow the lawns this morning, but all done now and I can settle down and watch some anime, and luxuriate in a pleasure of parents with young kids, a peaceful daytime nap. I'm often up around 5.30am most mornings so getting the chance to chill and nap if most welcome.

@cipheron funny coincidence you mention Snow Fairy Sugar as I came across the show a while ago and added it to my ptw list as a possible show to watch with baby Aria once she's a bit older. There's another couple, Ronja the Robbers Daughter and Bottle Fairies, which both look suitable for younger children as well.

Episode 15. Yabe-chi comes into class and everything is normal, by which he means manic chaos with everyone doing their own thing.

We get a bit about Mitsuba being conscious of her weight and riding Futaba in the hope it will help her lose weight.

Finally an xmas meal crossed with a group date that doesn't go as planned. All the boys are mesmerised by Sugisaki's mother and wait on her hand and foot. The rest play the king game but nothing spicy happens.

Poor Yabe-chi spends his xmas eve alone with a doll, feel bad for the guy. Dating in Japan sounds tough. Once you start working there's only colleagues for potential love interests (and that can be a double edged sword, especially if things don't work out and you still have to work together) or attending mixers, basically meeting strangers in the hope you make a connection. This is partly because Japanese teenagers are dissuaded from relationships when in school, which seems mad to me. School time is primarily about academics but it's also learning about the opposite sex and what works and what doesn't through trial and error. Out of everyone i knew at school only one christian couple got together early on and stayed together, got married when they left secondary school at age 16 and are still togther and happy. But they're an exception. If you stay clear of romance in your teenage years, as they often do in Japan from what i've heard, then when you meet someone later in life you won't have any experience and it gets progressively harder to meet new people of the opposite sex. Instead many guys visit soapland establishments for physical contact and leave it at that.

I watch Paolo in Japan videos on youtube and so many of the younger people he interviews don't have a partner, they focus on their work, and a hobby or two, and don't seem that interested in finding a partner. Then again marriage in Japan sounds tough, if one or both of you are working and not getting home till after 10pm, then you'd only have an hour together each night, and no holidays, so you'd end up living with a stranger sharing a house but living different lives. There's still a patriarchal culture prevalent in Japan that women raise the kids and looking after them and the household (chores like clothes washing, cleaning the house, nappies, taking out the rubbish, bath time and meals for kids as well as looking after the husband when he comes home). One video I saw had older Japanese men admitting, rather sheepishly that they don't know how to do chores as the wife always does them. So hte younger generation of women look at this dynamic and think 'no', i don't want to become a closeted parent with no life beyond looking after the family home and children. Hachi from Nana ends up a similar position with kids but her huband lives abroad so she's all alone. Pretty sad state of affairs.

Yabe-chi stands in the papa and delivers Futaba's xmas pressie only to have his clothes taken by Futaba in her sleep leading to the dad dealing out another beating.
23feanorAug 17, 2023 3:49 AM
Aug 17, 2023 4:25 AM
Aug 2011
Episode 15 / 2-2 The first scene does a good job reestablishing the main setting and ensemble of weirdos in the classroom as well as tying back to the amusement park plot, the main plot being Hitoha trying to protect pic with Gachi Red, but being forced to sacrifice it to avoid the wrath of the jealous "Satou squad girls".

Mitsuba is worried about her weight and tries a vibrating ride at a department store. She starts with a few sit-ups with Futuba's "help", then gets the idea of riding on Futuba's back to get the effect of the weight-loss machine, but Futuba takes off with her on a high speed ride through the streets.

The main rest of the episode is about Christmas. Yabecchi has a very lonely and pathetic christmas while the girls and boys of the class have a dysfunctional mixer party. Most of the boys fawn over Sujisaki's mother. At first I counted 7 boys and was confused until i realized the one on her lap was the little brother.

The episode ends with Yabecchi having to do Santa duties at the Murai household, but getting beaten up as a pervert by their father again.

---

@23feanor, yeah I rewatched the first couple of episodes of Sugar, which reminded me of what a beautiful series it is. It's a kid's show but also a slice of life iyashikei series with beautiful watercolor backgrounds and a distinctive setting. So ... great show to actually share with kids, and not just tolerate.

As for Bottle Fairies, that show is really lacking a lot of things in comparison.
cipheronAug 17, 2023 4:54 AM
Aug 17, 2023 8:33 AM
Dec 2018
Episode 15. Nothing new under the sun in the classroom, just the usual mayhem, nothing to see here.

I felt a bit sad for Yabe-chi, too. Imagine spending Christmas Eve all on your own.

@23feanor I get what you mean!
Aug 17, 2023 7:55 PM

May 2019
Episode 15

Not too much to add to what everyone's already said.

Sad that Yabe-chi always gets a raw deal - having to spend xmas alone with a doll and Nipples after getting wrapped in bandages by his potential date only to end up beaten bloody by the girls' father for going through the trouble of dressing up like Santa is quite a way to go. @23feanor appreciate the breakdown, gives me some insight into his pain and that of other young people in Japan.

This party game seems like it was doomed from the start. Also, that hamster kid is back and behaving just like an animal, which apparently Mrs. Sujisaki just loves. Good on you, hamster kid.

And yeah, we get another gag about Mitsuba being conscious of her weight. That line from Yabe-chi about how the class looks normal when it's in utter chaos is pretty excellent.
Aug 18, 2023 4:41 AM

Jun 2019
Episode 16. We had our first summer bbq last night and a few too many drinks so wasn't paying especial attention today.

The girls show off their photos from the amusement park, much to the annoyance of the Satou club and inviting the attention of spirit girl, which ends up in the photos getting burnt.

Mitsuba rides a rodeo machine supposed to reduce weight and substitutes this for riding Futbaba through the neighbourhood.

Last we have another misunderstanding regarding the girls dad and a photo of him when he was younger. Mitsuba pretends to be dating the guy in the photo and is pressured to call him and confess her love, leading to the whole charade unravelling.
Aug 18, 2023 4:58 AM
Aug 2011
@23feanor, you mixed up part of episode 15/16 there.

Episode 16 / 2-3 - Futuba shows off her fake boobs / christmas present for Satou and drags him into making porn comics for Shin, which includes him being humiliated by being caught modelling Mitsuba's bra as a reference model. Shin doesn't want the comic and says it's more Satou's thing.

There's an Earthquake drill in class, and Hitoha gets injured while hiding under teacher's desk, which he shook to simulate the Earthquake. Mitsuba takes the opportunity to abuse the teacher and make him carry her, and t ends with the typical pervert accusations.

Next it's sport's day and the girl's father has to run in the three legged race with Hitoha. His clothes is comically removed before the race and finally he's caught and accused yet again, only to have Hitoha deny all knowledge of who he is, out of embarassment at his full frontal exposure.
sports day

Shin invents a new bra removal trick and is fixated on testing it on the girls in class, the only problem being that none of them have one, except Sugisaki, but it turns out they have pool next episode. Shin gets beaten for his trouble.

The final sketch has the father's photo of his youth mistaken for a hot guy, who Mitsuba passes off as a boyfriend, and is forced to call him and tell him she loves him. This is quickly exposed however. Both Mitsuba and dad are humiliated.

A lot of the running gags feel like they're over ripe now, there weren't really any stand-out segments this time.
cipheronAug 18, 2023 5:07 AM
Aug 18, 2023 10:24 AM
Dec 2018
Episode 16. I really must give Futaba credit for being really good at drawing. I wouldn’t mind having that skill. It gets even better when Shin-chan wears girls undies. The usual ”wrong time at the wrong place” comes to good use when Mitsuba comes in to the room.

Earthquakes are very real in Japan and they do right by practicing it from time to time. But…what on earth happens when the fire is on the loose? What’s that on their heads? And what is it for? To be recognised when they come to the gathering place? I can imagine that in my head….”let’s see…the cat hat is here, the love-hat, too…but, where is the hat with a tail on it?” Hitoha is out cold after banging her head in the desk, so Yabe carries her and Mitsuba, who is dead, since she didn’t hide under her desk. I laughed at Yabe- sensei, who has lots of good ideas, swinging Mitsuba around and putting out the fire with her sweat.

Hitoha, you traitor!! Why are you so mean, after you went and won the three-legged race? Poor daddy…

Shin-chan comes up with a crazy move; stealing a girl’s bra this time. He gets his well earned punishment. 

Mitsubas friend says it as it is; that Mitsuba is just like her father, and that is fat, loud and annoying. But it’s coming to a saddening end when Mitsuba is forced to call her father and tell him that she loves him (and that is with the rarely used word ”aishteru”). Their father is moved to tears to hear that his beloved daughters are still fighting over his attention, only to be show down by an icecold line from Hitoha. And, I don’t think that I would take a bath with my 12-year old daughters… a pretty docent episode, in my humble opinion.

filifjonkanAug 18, 2023 11:44 AM
Aug 19, 2023 8:36 AM
Dec 2018
Today it was my turn with the lawnmower @23feanor. There has been two days in a row with no rain, so no mercy on me. We have like 800 square meters, how large is yours? 

Episode 17, then which starts with Futaba making a water slide, that totally defies the laws of gravity. Well, anything can and will happen in the Magical world of anime. The girls slide down, one by one. They seemed to like the ride, but after a while they come to notice that something weird has happened to them…

When the girls are looking at pictures on the computer, they discover something weird, some kind of reflections. What can it be? Hitoha in not that nice to her big sister..

NeXT up is a summer festival and the girls look very nice in their yukatas. I have to ask you guys something @23feanor @whiteflame55 @cipheron; does any of you have that ”squid-on-a-stick”-thing on your food stands? We most certainly don’t. It’s popcorn, whipped sugar and the like, but no squid in sight. I have tried to eat squid, once, but I will rather be chased by wolfs than eating it again. Shin-Cham is a bit down and Futaba tries to cheer him up with panties.

The parts where Chiba practises a new move and the waterpark are fun to watch, especially the scene when Futaba goes under and the band plays ”Closer God, to Thee”. 
Aug 19, 2023 9:26 AM

May 2019
@filifjonkan We didn't have anything like that. In the US, it's all fried foods all the time. So a fried banana on a stick or even a fried oreo wouldn't be out of place. Some people go whole hog and get fried butter on a stick, which sounds... horrifying. Honestly, I'd take the squid first. Love me some calamari.

Episode 16

Been doing a lot of traveling, limited on time, so I'll keep this brief. Not too much to say anyway.

Nice to see Hitoha getting to exercise her love of the Gatchi Rangers with a picture, sad to see her lose it because the spirit girl has problems.

Kinda love Mitsuba riding her sister through the neighborhood and then doing a spider grab to hold herself up on an alleyway to avoid detection... only to be immediately detected.

And yeah, we've done this whole thing of the girls' parents being mistaken for some other boy, it's a bit played out, but kind of cute in execution. Still feel bad for him - Hitoha just won't give him the love he craves.
Aug 20, 2023 4:05 AM

Jun 2019
We had a family day out yday so catching up today. Lovely to see all the young cousins, nieces and nephews but very tiring, plus the trains in the UK are a mess, so took hours to get home. Luckily I brought a supply of cider to keep me fortified for the journey.

@filifjonkan at English fairs we much the same as @whiteflame55 mentioned, candyfloss, burgers, hotdogs. Ever since I turned 40 I've got really into dried/smoked meat and fish and would love to try squid on a stick, but don't think I'll get a chance unless I travel to Japan one day. The bbq I have is also a smoker so maybe one day I could try smoking my own squid.

Episode 17. The girls create a makeshift slide at the pool which makes a hole in their swimsuits. Then Sugisaki shows Mitsuba some photos with what looks like a ghost, but is actually just Hitoha.

I liked the part where Hitoha is peacefully floating down the river-pool and a classical quartet is playing on the side.

The choral themed ED was nice.

Episode 18. Sugisaki's mum comes for parents day and acts out again. The Satou fan club come up with a weird eraser game, girls playing dirty trying to get one over on each other in search of love.

We get the usual valentine and white day chocolate farce, where Sugi gets upset.
Aug 20, 2023 5:55 AM
Aug 2011
Episode 17 / 4 - Futuba makes a floorboard slide into pool, but there's a loose nail which rips holes in the girl's swimsuits and they spend the pool class trying to hide it. Sugasaki fakes some ghost pictures to scare Mitsuba, and the occultist girl finds out, drags Hitoha into as an exorcist, and it ends with Sugasaki's laptop being burned to purify it: she'd used Hitoha's face as the ghost.

Next we have a festival, and all three sisters are dressed up really nice in yukata. Futuba courts Satou, by trying to entice him with panties, freaking him out. Chiba teaches the girls to to backflips on a horizontal bar, intending to pull up their shirt or dress when they're upside-down. He's thrwarted by Hitoha's Gachi Rangers belt, and kicked by an angry mob of the girls.

Finally it's pool day, dad is accosted, Hitoha almost drowns but is saved by Futuba. Futuba then tries to teach Hitoha to swim but almost drowns her again.

Pretty mid episode I think. I'm still hoping they saved some good stuff for the last couple of episodes because this season is feeling a bit thin in the middle. Otherwise it would feel like they just scraped together enough leftover bits for half a season then put the Gachi Rangers episode on the start to give it some variety.
Aug 20, 2023 6:24 AM
Dec 2018
@23feanor that sounds like a lovely day! But, I can also understand that it is very tiring to spend time together in such an environment. @23feanor and @whiteflame55, thanks for your responses. It was more or less like I thougt. There are some differences in the Western and Eastern couisine, for sure.

May I also ask you @23feanor, @whiteflame55 and @cipheron do you celebrate the White Day? I had to Google it, bc it is never heard of here. It seems like it is day, 14th of March, where you give choco to the ones that gave you choco on Valentines Day.

Ep 18, parents day coming up and Mitsuba is scared of what people might think of ooto-san, again…
Aug 20, 2023 6:59 AM
Aug 2011
filifjonkan said:
May I also ask you @23feanor, @whiteflame55 and @cipheron do you celebrate the White Day? I had to Google it, bc it is never heard of here. It seems like it is day, 14th of March, where you give choco to the ones that gave you choco on Valentines Day.

There's no such thing as "White Day". It was invented by chocolate companies in Japan in 1978 in order to sell more chocolate, along with a whole raft social rules designed to maximize how much money everyone had to spend, by tying everything up in 'social obligations', so a very Japanese way of manipulating people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Day

White Day was first celebrated in 1978 in Japan. The National Confectionery Industry Association started it as an "answer day" to Valentine's Day on the grounds that men should pay back the women who gave them chocolate and other gifts on Valentine's Day. Soon thereafter, confectionery companies began marketing white chocolate.

Sometimes the term sanbai gaeshi (三倍返し, 'triple the return') is used to describe the generally recited rule for men that the return gift should be two to three times the worth of the Valentine's gift they received.

So the whole thing was designed to make you spend a lot of money on chocolate or look like an asshole. In most of the world, it's the women who receive the gifts on Valentine's day. It's only in Japan where there's this thing about girls having to give "obligation chocolate" thus forcing every guy to spend triple what the girls did.
cipheronAug 20, 2023 7:22 AM
Aug 20, 2023 10:45 PM

May 2019
@filifjonkan

I've heard of White Day, but no, never celebrated the day. @cipheron thanks for the breakdown of how it began, didn't know much about it.

Episode 17

The girl's expose their butts after a run-in with a nail on a makeshift slide. Kind of funny, ends with Mitsuba getting the last laugh because she refuses to reveal it... would have to eventually, though.

The photo situation is a bit odd, but reveals that Hitoha has basically been hiding everywhere and Mitsuba sneaks a lot of food. Girl's putting on them pounds. The laptop is burned to exorcise a nonexistent spirit.

The festival gives us a new setting and new clothing for the girls.

Chiba tries to scope out some panties and budding breasts, but fails in his most recent efforts at developing a technique meant to grant him some access.

The pool portion is the one time I got a full laugh out of this one. That scene with the gentlemen in tuxes playing violins was absolutely meant to evoke this scene from Titanic just before Hitoha floatation device was deflated. Otherwise, pretty normal stuff, with Hitoha nearly drowning twice.

Episode 18

We get more of Sugisaki's mom, which is always a good time. When she stood up and forced Mitsuba to face-plant on her desk, that got me a bit, though everything else was just OK this episode.

The eraser game was a bit odd, mainly there to show how obsessive these girls are about Satou. It does that, but the joke's pretty tired.

The Valentines/White Day farce actually has a decent moment of human connection before it turns into a joke about Sugi potentially falling in love with her occultist classmate when she's just trying to get at cookie crumbs.
Aug 21, 2023 4:35 AM

Jun 2019
@filifjonkan in the UK we only have valentines day, where guys and girls give chocolates, flowers, teddy bears, jewellery etc to each other. Obligation chocolates and white day seem to be a uniquely Japanese thing. I once received a gold st christopher pendant on a gold chain from a girlfriend when i was in school and wore it for years, even after we'd broken up as st christophers was the patron saint of good luck i believe. Em made me take it off when she heard it was from an ex girlfriend, still sat in a drawer somewhere.

Episode 19. Mitsuba getting stuck in the toilet window was pretty damn funny, as was the look on Futaba's face when Mitsuba insulted her after she accidentally removed her top.

Next we get more valentines day stuff, didn't they just have valentines day? Satou and the girls dad bond whilst Satou is hiding from the marauding in love with Satou club, until he gets arrested for looking sus, again.

Next is a really funny scene with all the parents, and now we see why there are so many perverts in the class, they got it from their parents. Then the girls dad enters, with police escort, and loudly testifies that Yabe-chi was found hiding in Hitoha's bed. Lol.

Then we get a pissy snow ball fight and end with an April fools joke.

Pretty good episode.
Aug 21, 2023 10:37 AM
Dec 2018
Ep 19, which starts off with food poisoning and Mitsuba is again not so nice.. Satou gets saved from a tight spot by noother than oota-san. They seem to have a nice time, when all of a sudden Futaba comes to Satou-kuns rescue. Kinda moving when Futaba declares her love for her father. The mystery of who is the recipient of the nice choco in the fridge gets solved, it goes to Nipples. Not so sure about guinea pigs eating choco, though.
Over to the parents meeting with sensei in the home-room. Not too many fathers there, the only one is the triplets dad. The situation soon goes out of Yabe-sensei hands. Then Chiba takes a leak in the snow, so…don’t eat snow that’s yellow! The whole snow part of the episode is is pretty funny.
Aprils Fool is coming up and Hitoha is trying to think of something and, well, this part is also funny.

@cipheron those manufacturers are smart, right? I can, from the top of my head, think of two such days here in Sweden. They are called The day of Tulips and The day of Cinnamon buns. I read that article from Wikipedia, thanks for the link.

@23feanor, thanks for letting me know that. I find it interesting to learn about other peoples customs and such.Also, congratulations on England taking the silver in ladies soccer. Well done! What do you think of the Swedish guy, playing for the Spurs? @whiteflame55 the thing with butter sounds…horrific..
filifjonkanAug 21, 2023 12:30 PM
Aug 21, 2023 5:32 PM

May 2019
@filifjonkan Yep, that horror is real, and clogging arteries with abandon.

Episode 19

I too found the first portion of this episode pretty funny. I was particularly fond of the moment where Hitoha opened the door a crack after barring it, saying that they would both go down together (Mitsuba by celebrating the new year in the bathroom, and Hitoha by crapping herself). The look on Futaba's face when she was insulted was also great. The former two end up stuck in the bathroom for new years anyway.

The Valentines' stuff was pretty good as well, though yeah, I was kind of lost as to why we were back here all of a sudden. I'm really fond of almost any episode where their dad plays a key role, and given that he's been mistaken for Satou from pictures of his youth, I found this bit of bonding pretty apt, even if Satou has trouble seeing it now.

Getting to see the parents all interact, some of whom we've barely seen before now, was particularly interesting. And yeah, they're all messed up. Only one pair of parents that I saw (could be more that just didn't say much), so it could be partially because they're single parent households. Nonetheless, clearly a lot of problems here.

And we end on the weakest one with a snowball fight with yellow snow and an April Fool's prank. Not particularly interesting, but the rest of the episode is so good that I thought rather fondly of the whole set.
Aug 21, 2023 7:33 PM
Aug 2011
Episode 18 / 5 - highlights - Sugisaki's mom has a strange book of the weird kids of class 6-3. Says "they say" the psychic girl is the weirdest in the class. It made me wonder who "they" are and if they made the book.

Futuba pulls an unwrapped lumo of Valentines Day chocolate out of her pants, shocks Satou, who throws in on the ground. Then he eats some and it's good, so he keeps eating it. Just then a dog walks past and Mitsuba sees him eating this brown stuff off the ground, thinks he's eating dog poop.

Mitsuba tries to get one over on Sugisaki over valentines chocolate, but is left drooling in a pleasant daze after trying Sugisaki's expensive chocolates. Mitsuba and Sugisaki's two friends then decide to bake cookies as a Wite Day present for Sugisaki, who feels excluded and tries to make new friends in the class, leading the psychic girl thinking Sugisaki is dead and a ghost only she can see. She eats Sugisaki's presents.
Aug 22, 2023 1:44 AM

Jun 2019
Episode 20. We begin with a weird santa sketch, where each of the group tries dressing up as santa to give a present to Ryouta. He recognises everyone but Chiba`, and finally Sugi gets some new panties.

Miya endeavours to get closer to Hitoha by sitting in the teachers chair and wearing trousers.

Yabe-chi is sick and a new teacher steps in getting tormented by class 6-3. Why are all female teachers in anime nearly 30 and single?

We then move to summer and one sketch of Mitsuba sweating profusely and ruining her a/c, then the kids have to clean the pool. Another unique ED.

I think one of you mentioned this already but feels like they've combined a bunch of random sketches into this shorter second season.
Aug 22, 2023 4:29 AM
Dec 2018
Yes, I think that this season is made up by small segments, mixed together, some here and some there.

The question about single, nice-looking female teachers is one of several stereotypes in anime, along with some others.
Aug 22, 2023 6:06 AM
Aug 2011
Episode 19 / 6 - the sketches feel a lot stronger, giving me hope that they have saved some good stuff for the final stretch.

The three girls get stomach issues from New Year's bad oranges, Mitsuba beats them to the toilet by macing them in the eyes with juice from the oranges. However she then gets stuck in the toilet, with Hitoha over the new year change, both with the runs. It's going to be real pleasant.

Also how is it valentine's day again. Are these events out of order? @23feanor @whiteflame55 It would explain things if they deliberately chose what they thought were stronger sketches for the last stretch of episodes, so they're not strictly in manga order.

Dad finds a choco heart and goes to the school to see which boy his girls are giving the chocolate to. The usual run around happens with dad being arrested in the end after being labeled a kidnapper for helping Satou escape his admirers. In the end it turns out Hitoha got the heart-shaped chocolate for Nipples the hamster.

Next we have a weird PTA meeting with all the mothers at desks, is that a Japanese thing? Must be. Satou's mother is concerned he's being stalked but Sugisaki's mother says it's low-level (with images of Sugisaki basically stalking Mitsuba) while Chiba's mother (newly introduced) seems oddly ok with her son's creepy stuff. The three girl's dad turns up and so does a cop who is asked to find the stalker. Turns out the stalker is the cop's little sister however.

Snow day, Chiba pees the kanji of his name in the snow. Mitsuba isn't aware and makes pee snowballs from the exact location of the pee letters. Everyone freaks and she scores a direct hit on Sugisaki's very expensive coat. Chiba then lies to the girls that Satou peed in the same snow first and they willingly intercept the snowballs, allowing Chiba and Satou to escape. However somehow the girls can tell it's not Satou pee and collapse. Futuba gets mixed up in it, accidentally buries Mitsuba in snow then pelts everyone with snowballs.

April Fools, and Hitoha is paranoid of everyone potentially playing tricks on her, and tries to get them before they get her. She eventually gets hurt due to mistrust and passes out. Teacher carries her home and she wakes up and explains the issue. The teacher then plays an actual April's Fool trick by telling her she passed out for a day and it's April 2nd.

This whole episode felt a lot stronger than the last 2-3
cipheronAug 22, 2023 6:17 AM
Aug 23, 2023 1:34 AM

Jun 2019
Episode 21. Hitoha goes to a signing for Gachi pink, where she meets Yabe-chi and finally admits to being a fan of gachi rangers.

The relay race was pretty good.

The potato man sketch was also pretty damn funny.

Sweet final sketch showing the triplets with their dad walking home. We never did find out what happened to the mum, but that's probably for the best as it would have been sad.

Solid final episode.

Onto the OVA tomorrow.

I gave this season a mid 6/10, some bits were still funny like the first parody episode, but this season felt more disjointed and there wasn't the attention to detail in the direction and shot composition we got from the first season. Plus a lot of the jokes had gotten a bit stale.
Aug 23, 2023 4:03 AM
Aug 2011
Episode 20 / 7

Now it's Christmas again, at Sugisaki's house and she has everyone dress up in a girl's santa costume, even the boys leading to a shot of Chiba in sexy purple girl's panties, a singularly unpleasant moment.

Miyashita tries to befriend again with predictably bad results.

The class has a subtsitute teacher and the same day Futuba has lost her voice and written everything she wants to say in her sketchbook, the teacher reads things out aloud causing herself humiliation, then injury as she accidentally falls on Satou and is assaulted by the Satou squad.

Next we have summer air-conditioning woes and Mitsuba totally losing it.

Finally the class has pool cleaning duties, something that seems to come up in a number of school anime, must be a thing in Japan. Mitsuba suggests playing curling with humans to settle whether the boys or girls have to clean the pool, causing the pool to be contaminated with blood and puke. This felt like a bit of a rehash of the frozen pool sliding thing.
Aug 23, 2023 5:54 AM
Dec 2018
Ep 21, where we have some nice sketches. I liked both the relay race and the potato man. We have no such food-wagons in Sweden, but I think that I would appreciate it.
Aug 23, 2023 8:56 AM

May 2019
Back from my trip across country and jet lagged, but should be good to finish out this season with some brief thoughts.

Episode 20

Yeah, the Santa sketch was weird. Never really explained why it's so important to get Ryouta to believe in Santa or why a female Santa makes the most sense. Maybe it's just because they got the female outfit, but it's unclear why they went with the female outfit in the first place. The "Chiba wears Sugi's panties" thing wasn't very funny.

Miya's efforts to get close to Hitoha are coming off as weirder by the sketch, though I will say I laughed when I saw that Yabe-chi just nonchalantly moves aside to let Hitoha under his desk at this point. Just same old same old at this point.

The new teacher coming in was fun, gave her a new appreciation for how tough Yabe-chi has it, but mistaking Futaba's notes for cue cards felt a little forced.

Mitsuba's behavior was particularly awful with the whole sweating thing and she got what she deserved

The pool cleaning was the most fun of any of these. Just how physically dense is Mitsuba at this point? Seriously, girl cannot be moved. She should go into sumo wrestling.

Episode 21

Nice start with Hitoha going to see Gachi Pink, catching a dude with a camera on his shoe trying to take pictures from under her skirt, and finally clearing the air with Yabe-chi on their shared love for the franchise.

The relay race is kind of a microcosm for all the interactions between class members. Fun stuff.

The potato man sketch was alright, nice to get a new character for everyone to interact with, and it gave Hitoha some solid moments.

The ending sketch definitely had some solid emotional beats. Cute way to end it.

This season was quite a bit more variable than the first. It's the same cute characters and setting, but just seems to scattered that it's hard to appreciate on the same level. Still, it hit enough decent moments for me that I'd give it a 6.2/10.
Aug 24, 2023 2:27 AM

Jun 2019
OVA. I liked the treadmill, bouncyball and sushi sketches with Mitsuba acting the clown but the nipples ones were just too weird. Low 6/10 (6.1).

@whiteflame55 @filifjonkan @cipheron thanks for your contributions, this was a different watch from normal and apart from the age of the cast which is a bit disconcerting at times (like the boob grab by Yabe-chi in this OVA and Mitsuba spread-eagled on top of the treadmill), nearly every episode had a laugh or two. The gachi rangers parody episode was particularly memorable.

@filifjonkan we don't have anything like a guy going round selling hot sweet potatoes either, but sounds nice on a cold day
Aug 24, 2023 2:36 AM
Dec 2018
OVA: it was full of weird cheek-nipples and some exercise from the oldest triplet. I have seen some other series with the about same theme, shows like Asobi Asobase and Aho Girl, though they were on another level with the crazy sketches. I agree with you on the age of the children in this series but, like you Said @23feanor every episode had some funny gags. Should we start with Banana Fish tomorrow the? 

Thanks for your kind answers and your contributions, much appreciated. 
Aug 24, 2023 3:37 AM
Aug 2011
Episode 21 / 8

Hitoha wants to see Gachi Pink at a meet but she has a cold, ends up seeing the teacher there and finally admitting her love of Gachi Rangers, sketch ends with her sneezing a huge snot glob onto Gachi Pink's signature.

Next it's sports day and a baton relay vs a more prepared class. 6-3 wins by exploiting each racer's freak traits.

Mitsuba detects a baked potato street vender and sends Futuba after it, running like a dog, the girls then screw with the vendor who has a knack for guessing women's ages. The vendor comes unstuck due to the large number of crazy characters in the show.

Final scene of the whole show, dad remember when the girls were cute and sweet and would help carry the groceries, thinks those days are long gone but the girls finally help out again, this time with Futuba giving dad a ride with her super-strength.

Agreed that season 2 was not as good as the first season. It was definitely more disjointed. I think they could have chosen to make just a whole Christmas episode and a New Years episode etc with the material here, and a summer episode. It probably would have flowed better.

The OP and ED songs were solid however, e.g. when the recorders kick in during the OP it's done well.

---

I'll edit any observations for the OVA in here rather than make a new post, thanks for the watch guys.

Episode 22 OVA

Hitoha gets a pimple on her cheek and it looks like a boob. Kinda gross sketch because pimples. Later followed by more cheek / boob confusion at school.

The other running theme this episode is Mitsuba trying different weight loss hacks and failing every time. Try eating less.

Finally, Mitsuba and Sugisaki discuss sushi restaurants, but one is talking about cheap conveyor-belt sushi and the other about high class sushi restaurants. Mitsuba takes her to a cheap sushi-train place and she actually likes it, but then chooses a red plate. Wasn't sure what that meant at first, but these are clearly hot ones / wasabi etc.

The sketches were not the best in the OVA, but the last one about sushi was actually good, it was nice to see Sugisaki actually enjoying "common" food, which showed how she's fundamentally a kid at heart.
cipheronAug 24, 2023 6:59 AM
Aug 24, 2023 5:44 AM

Jun 2019
filifjonkan said:
OVA: it was full of weird cheek-nipples and some exercise from the oldest triplet. I have seen some other series with the about same theme, shows like Asobi Asobase and Aho Girl, though they were on another level with the crazy sketches. I agree with you on the age of the children in this series but, like you Said @23feanor every episode had some funny gags. Should we start with Banana Fish tomorrow the? 

Thanks for your kind answers and your contributions, much appreciated. 

Yeah Banana Fish starts tomorrow
Aug 24, 2023 4:05 PM

May 2019
Episode 22 (OVA)

Yeah, the two episodes focused on how Hitoha's cheek either looks or feels like a breast just isn't doing anything for me. This joke was played out almost as soon as it began, and while there have been some fun takes on how the softness of her cheeks affects things (e.g. the swimming pool episode where she used it to combat Mitsuba's stomach), it just isn't interesting at this point.

I liked everything with Mitsuba as the focus, particularly seeing all the instant karma she gets for her bad behavior (losing the free treadmill and the free exercise ball). Girl needs to change, but she never well, and I kind of love her for it.

As for the Mitsuba/Sugisaki portion, that was one of the more interesting misunderstandings, and it worked pretty well. Overall, this episode sits at a 6/10 for me. Some funny moments balanced by pretty frustrating attempts at humor.

Overall, I had a good time with this show, though it's not terribly special. A good time, and certainly a palette cleanser from some of the more dramatic shows I've watched of late.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Discuss the Series You Just Finished ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Jul 27, 2009

2914 by 23feanor »»
4 hours ago

» The Heroic Legend of Arslan (2015) - May 2024 Group Watch ( 1 2 )

whiteflame55 - May 19

50 by whiteflame55 »»
4 hours ago

» Secret of Cerulean Sand (2002) ( 1 2 )

whiteflame55 - Apr 26

72 by 23feanor »»
May 23, 12:50 AM

Sticky: » New Member Introductions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Oct 3, 2009

836 by Evans_Born »»
May 21, 5:09 PM

» Kobato (2009) - April 2024 Group Watch ( 1 2 )

23feanor - Apr 2

54 by filifjonkan »»
May 6, 7:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.