Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 2, 2023 4:29 PM

Jan 2021
Basically the same at the start, it was terrible.
Jul 2, 2023 5:02 PM
Handler One

Jan 2023
3/10

I am a completionist but each episode increasingly made me want to end it all

"You fought to the end. You survived. That's why you're here now. I think that's something you should be more proud of."
- Vladilena Milizé
Jul 2, 2023 6:28 PM

May 2021
An average anime though AOTS for sure, Heavenly Delusion was mediocre while Insomnia is trash, Mappa could had done better in the production department but is not big deal for me, it was a decent watch tbh, I will watch 2nd season for sure.
Jul 2, 2023 8:06 PM

Mar 2017
Alright, maybe it is because I've been watching anime for decades but why is the animation critisism so vicious? Like, aren't we supposed to not want the animators to work themselves to death? "Not even decent" What the hell? This is nowhere near bad animation, if you want to talk about bar, then watch stuff like the Way of the Househusband or direct to vhs Disney sequels or something. Jeez, this is harsh. 

Jul 2, 2023 11:13 PM
Oct 2019
Well I dropped it because I wasn't enjoying it, so...

5/10
Jul 2, 2023 11:15 PM
Oct 2019
Jaaku_na_Neko said:
I was exited after the 1st episode but it went downhill after that
This exactly. Great first episode and then zZz zZz.
Jul 2, 2023 11:19 PM
Nov 2019
i haven't watched it since the marketing was garbage. but the manga is pretty good so . . . if the anime is as good as people tell me then . . . probably worth your time.
Jul 3, 2023 12:28 AM
May 2021
Yeah, I agree with you. :s I was even considering giving it 5/10, but as you said it had its moments, so I guess 6 is fine. I expected something... better. There's a lot of characters, but we don't even get to know almost any of them and develop any attachement to care about their deaths at all. Characters with amazing designs get just murdered almost immediately, which greatly hindered my excitement for the series, I didn't really care about Gabimaru and his motivation to go back to his wife, because we didn't get to see their relationship before he got into all this mess and only this episode made it a little bit more interesting with the option that maybe it was all a manifestation in his own head or whatever and there is no wife.
As you said, the story telling was really lacking, I wouldn't call it solid or interesting at all :s

Let's hope it improves in next season or something.
Jul 3, 2023 9:24 AM
Oct 2019
Noy_Telinu said:
Alright, maybe it is because I've been watching anime for decades but why is the animation critisism so vicious? Like, aren't we supposed to not want the animators to work themselves to death? "Not even decent" What the hell? This is nowhere near bad animation, if you want to talk about bar, then watch stuff like the Way of the Househusband or direct to vhs Disney sequels or something. Jeez, this is harsh. 
Animation quality is the least important aspect of an anime. Been saying this for years.

If a show is only good because of animation, then it's NOT a good show.

That said, this show isn't great and it's not because of the animation. 
Jul 3, 2023 10:00 AM

Jun 2023
5/10 has potential, but everything about it just felt wonky and half baked. Hope the second season kills off more characters 
Jul 3, 2023 11:51 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
High 6/low 7, alright, enjoyable, though kind of bland despite its setting which would argue otherwise. Thought the strongest part of the season was actually the first couple episodes BEFORE they went to the island. Probably better experienced as a binge-watch rather than waiting a week in between episodes.

Recommendable enough, but nothing amazing, imHo

NYANPASU
M2

Jul 3, 2023 12:37 PM

Mar 2017
What I find hilarious is that this show has an 8.2 and yet all 3 reviews on the page are at best mixed, while almost all the comments here are, again, at best mixed. 

I am not done with it, I am watching the dub, but I am giving this either a 7 or an 8 depending on how the season ends and will be watching S2. 

I do admit that the "not ki but basically ki" magic bullshit stuff is really stupid and has dampened stuff for me, but I do find the anime fascinating and do enjoy the themes for the most part. The sexism is expected, and actually way toned down vs historical Edo TBH, I do enjoy the fanservice, but wish we had nipples, I do find the characters interesting, as each group of survivors have their own dynamic and take from a different type of show. You have the by the rules samurai who has to deal with sexism and the heartless killing machine who isn't heartless after all. Then you have the pair of brothers that are really reminiscent of an old school battle shonen. The blond guy actually reminds me a ton of Ranma in a way, with how fast he adapts and his anything goes style, but with that more rough and tough vibe of a typical rival character. The kunochi and the scholar samurai are a clash of the sexy girl and the nerd that you have in a few anime lately, and his insight into these things is very relatable as someone who is a scholar and has a father who is a religious scholar. The innocent girl and the blind man is very much wolf and cub. The samurai and medical guy are very samurai movie with that guy being so very much based off of Kurasawa. 

Meanwhile the immortal flower people jerks are an easy villain group to hate and as a fan of gender bender, I am pleased with the sex changing so often. Hate their guts though. 

Yeah really my biggest gripe is the whole magic bullshit stuff and the typical shonen limitless stamina except not except yes thing which is in like almost all shonen fights. 
Jul 3, 2023 3:56 PM
Oct 2015
For me 5/10 and I won't continue to watch its second season.  
The characters are flat and cliched, the plot if there is any - is uninteresting, the animation is mid at best and frankly not fun to watch.
I guess the high rating is probably due to that the major demographic of people who've seen it is around 14-18, because I can't honestly believe that any adult will rate this show higher than 7.
There plenty of better shonen series to watch, damn even the kind of horrible Demon Slayer is better because it actually got animation that can carry the flaws to some degree.
Jul 3, 2023 4:24 PM
Jul 2011
The further it got down in the episode count the worse the animation quality got but the lore also got more interesting. Felt pretty mid during the beginning but by the time Gabi and the rest of the chosen cast started the Tao training speedrun I was interested in seeing where it's all going to go now. Plus they drop another little bomb reveal about Gabi right at the end. If I originally read the manga then watch this adaptation I would probably completely hate it but as an anime only/someone who was unfamiliar with the IP until recently I guess it did it's job in making me care about it enough to be interested in a season 2 or just read the manga.
Jul 3, 2023 5:24 PM
Oct 2022
Easily top 10. Cant wait for season 2
Jul 3, 2023 9:42 PM

May 2009
dior said:
lrdalucard said:
Was nice, just wish it didn't became a Dragon Ball halfway through.

But still a good series.
this changes during the next arc onwards.  they flesh out a power scaling system and explain tao more properly, it essentially  turns into pokemon.  the anime covered like 1/4th of the manga. theres some  great characters like Jikka and Shugen that turns this shit all the way up.. sadly if the animation stays like this, none of it will matter. 

point is the story iis just getting fleshed out 
I trust you, but I didn't meant to single out fights or fighting in general, not even the animation rly, is just... like "the vibe" which the anime started with. You know? that sense of dread they face for being in an unknown island/world where everything is unexplained and everything its out to kill cold blood no moment to rest, the dangers, etc. Like once they google "how to use tao effectively" and now its a battle royal of punches all that's left is they hit harder than the enemy and the story is settled...
...and that vibe kinda goes *puff*.
(Just hope they don't start flying and throwing hadokens/Kamehameha's too...)

Albeit they at least made it interesting by showing that maybe the girl he though was his wife, might actually not exist all, and makes me look forward to the 2nd season.
lrdalucardJul 3, 2023 9:49 PM
I'm an Anime/Manga Artist who enjoys drawing in the same style:
For info on comissions and galery: Click Here
Jul 4, 2023 3:33 AM

Apr 2020
The anime ended abruptly without any conclusion like it was cut in half. I miss 24 episodes shows.
It's almost not worth rating now. I'll wait for the second season to get a good final opinion on the show.
I'd say between a 6 and a 7 out of 10 for now. It was fun watching but nothing really special.
Jul 4, 2023 11:20 AM
Apr 2021
Very good, I was pleasingly surprised by this title, it already became one of my favorites, I'm looking forward to see what happens next
Jul 4, 2023 11:35 AM
Jan 2012
"Tao" destroyed the anime. Nonsense. 5/10
Jul 4, 2023 12:00 PM

Oct 2021
I really liked this one.
It had everything I like about an anime title.
Super gritty and reminded me of a lot of 90's anime. 
The pacing seemed really organic and the plot enthralling. 
Always go in with little to no expectations when exploring Anime, you never know what you might be missing.
Jul 4, 2023 1:28 PM

Jan 2011
first half was 6 always felt like i was watching a different show than others once it became less of a murderfest and the mystery of the island starting to reveal it's self  it got more interesting by the end even if it  had a lot of shounen moments of people explain their powers and characters getting backstories only in their final moments...like a lot like demon slayer levels of a lot  
it went to a 7

Mappa did not treat this as their love child  with the animation compared to the quality of JJK /chainsawman  when you look at the op vs the show lol 

wasn't to say it was bad looking just not great a lot of the time 

i am interested still since again it got better hopefully the writing improves  because the best part is just how strange everything looks 
Jul 7, 2023 1:39 AM

Nov 2019
Had really high expectations for it since people said its the one of the "dark trio?", along with CSM and JJK. But was kinda underwhelmed by it. Fights were also not that amazing, they were ok. Tao is kinda eh, most of the characters don't seem interesting to me, except for a little of Gabimaru I guess. The speculation/reveal at the last episode leaves something interesting to be seen in next season, probably a 7 or 8.
Aug 23, 3:22 AM
Jul 2013
I struggled with this Anime. I found the general plot idea very interesting, but for me, the Anime (didn't read the Manga btw.) wasn't able to create an emotional bound between the characters and me. Those circumstances caused, that the supposed to be emotional moments didn't scratch me properly. The same happened with "Summertime Render" and "Chainsaw Man". I really liked the concepts and plot ideas in general, but all of them failed with the character-viewer relationship. So, in the end, whenever something bad/sad happened, I was more like 'Oh, shit happens' without caring too much.
Sep 30, 5:12 PM

Aug 2020
mixed feelings... it was so badly done (except for a couple of first episodes); yet it was insanely interesting conceptually.
and music, that music!..
somehow, the pleasure i got was similar to the "made in abyss" experience.

i'm EAGER for a new season~
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2023

331 by Asturaetus »»
Sep 23, 10:25 AM

» Why are the animations so bad? ( 1 2 3 )

ScrewFiction - Aug 27, 2023

119 by OvergrownRover »»
Sep 11, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2023

243 by jilebi_james23 »»
Sep 9, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2023

313 by jilebi_james23 »»
Sep 7, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2023

361 by jilebi_james23 »»
Sep 7, 2:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.