Forum Settings
Forums

What is the mindset of not watching longer shows?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 18, 2021 4:12 AM

Dec 2012
In my case it's because I've seen a lot of them and they are usually always disappointing with very few exceptions. It is hard for something that long to come up with fresh, consistently good content without recycling it's content to begin with, but they are often adaptations that are made while the manga is ongoing which causes them to run out of content to adapt and come up with original "filler" story arcs and stalling tactics that ruin the show's pace. Content may then be incredibly varied with some arcs being incredibly entertaining and others are a boring slog which brings my opinion of it down.
KruszerMar 18, 2021 4:25 AM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Mar 18, 2021 4:17 AM

Jul 2020
that mindset just doesn't make sense like hxh for ex or one piece, your missing out on so much just because you like 12 episode animes

Mar 18, 2021 4:33 AM

Jan 2021
I would say that you aren't able to stick with it. While watching animes with 12 eps, you at least know you can finish it quickly regardless of how it is. On the other hand, if you've just started watching anime, you are more likely to be able complete anime series with lots of episodes. For me, I can't get myself to watch black clover as I am now but I am glad that I was able to watch over 900eps of one piece as a new weeb.
Mar 18, 2021 4:45 AM
Jan 2018
Pacing is downright pathetic. Underwhelming visual fidelity. Too many fillers. Uninteresting on-screen sequences for the most part. Too melodramatic some time which kills the tension.
Subjectivity is a joke on MAL. If you implicitly bring in subjectivity in your counter argument, you've already lost the debate. Also this website is a fankid infestation , have pity on those kids by ignoring there quotes as they have absolutely no clue what exactly is going on.
Mar 18, 2021 5:49 AM
Mar 2021
zieek said:
Anime for people that don't want to watch over 100 episodes is still a hobby.

If they start watching anime with over 100 ep, then for those people anime turns in to an obsession.

What’s the difference in terms of investiture between watching a 240 ep shounen or 10 x 24 ep shoujo anime?

IPFdomain said:
that mindset just doesn't make sense like hxh for ex or one piece, your missing out on so much just because you like 12 episode animes

I don’t really see anything that makes me think I’m missing out on much tbh, and if i am, oh well. I’d still get more enjoyment from what I’d rather watch anyways.

OnionKnightRises said:
Commitment, I mean something like Rurouni Kenshin has characters you're going to be dealing with and having personal feelings for as you go on that long journey through the show. Not everyone has the emotional capacity to do that whenever they'd like, a lot of us are no longer capable of being as emotionally invested in characters as much as we used to without becoming mentally exhausted.

This is definitely not the case for everyone or even most I’d say. Personally, i grew a hell of a lot more attached to the characters of Sakurasou after 24 eps and was way more emotionally invested in the show’s ending than i ever was with the characters and ending of Naruto/s even after 700+ episodes. The fact is many of the longer running shows just aren’t interesting. They don’t have believable character interactions, they don’t cover relatable themes or real world emotional struggles, and for the sake of filling time they tend to drag on the few emotional moments until it’s just no longer impactful. I have yet to see a single 100 ep+ contiguous series that hasn’t ruined its own story with filler and crappy pacing. The only way I was ever moved so to speak by Naruto/s over the entire series was when the author would occasionally throw a major character death in without warning which is honestly just felt like a cheap way to force a reaction out of the audience. If a series has to rely on halfassed plot devices like that to get any kind of emotional response from me, who cried like a bitch at the Assassination Classroom graduation scene, it’s really not doing “relatable” right.
Mar 18, 2021 5:55 AM

Aug 2018
I have watched Samurai X, and it is indeed an amazing show.. But I also feel that usually shorter shows are more enjoyable.. They have to provide content right here and now.. Not in some episodes, and do nothing but fighting for some episodes in a row.. I am not that interested in fights.. Also long running series often are actually revolving around action.. Which is not my type of genre, really.. I more enjoy drama, comedy, slice of life, shoujo ai, and some other genres, really..
Mar 18, 2021 7:37 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
As someone who's seen the "big 3" plus another bunch of long runners, I can see where they're coming from. There's tons of great shows that are way shorter than 100 episodes, so there's that, aside from the time investment factor. So it can be a hard to sell to tell someone "hey, this show is very good, you just need to spend to entire month watching it".

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you like anime about any sport or sports anime in general?

RobertBobert - 5 hours ago

18 by Shirayukin »»
5 minutes ago

» Does "being an otaku/weeb" still have any meaning in 2024?

thewiru - 6 hours ago

38 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
15 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

649 by Koustubh »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » Which real life underdog story would you like to see getting an anime adaptation the most?

Lincompoop - 2 hours ago

5 by Ravex1 »»
27 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows

Treatise - Yesterday

38 by ryzxgum »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.