Forum Settings
Forums

What's an anime you like from a genre you dislike?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 8, 2020 2:07 PM

Jul 2012
Sci-fi – Planetes. It looks boring at the first glance, but it’s like hidden treasure.

Mecha – Besides already mentioned Code Geass, TTGL and Evangelion, I also liked Macross F.

Ecchi, harem – School days. I watched it like a horror show. XD

Shoujo Ai – Strawberry panic. Characters are so nice that I decided to watch it.
Apr 8, 2020 2:07 PM

Jun 2019
Maneki-Mew said:
If you want to call Akatsuki no Yona a harem, then of course that too.
Steins;Gate also feels like a harem to me.

Some seem to be stealth or covert harems or reverse harems without noticeably announcing it and marketing more openly toward that audience demographic - perhaps because they want to reach a broader audience and not be relegated to only being compared to other harems. For example, Steins wants to appeal to Sci-Fi and Thriller fans. Akatsuki no Yona wants to appeal also to Adventure, Fantasy, Action, and general Romance fans.

I agree that Steins;Gate definitely has this setup and vibes. Akatsuki no Yona is a (reverse) harem. Fruits Basket (both original and reboot since it's the same overall story) is another reverse harem that's not always acknowledged as such. Goblin Slayer is another secret/covert harem. I think there are actually more of these than one would at first imagine.
Apr 8, 2020 2:11 PM

Dec 2012
Sports:
Bamboo Blade
Chihayafuru
Death Parade
IGPX
Initial D
Kakegurui
March Comes in Like a Lion
Overdrive
Redline
Suzuka

Magical Girl:
Izetta: The Last Witch
Lyrical Nanoha
Madoka Magica
Magical Girl Special Ops: Asuka
My-HIME
Negima!
Trinity Seven
Vivid Strike
Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Apr 8, 2020 2:11 PM
Feb 2018
Mecha.
But Code Geass is one of the best anime I've ever seen.
I love Lelouch and C.C. and the story is very interesting.
Apr 8, 2020 2:57 PM

Jan 2019
I never really got into SciFi as an overall genre, but I loved Cowboy Bebop!
Apr 8, 2020 3:03 PM

Mar 2020
mecha and slice of life, maybe the slice of life would change if I gave it a chance but I'll always hate mecha
Apr 8, 2020 3:27 PM

Mar 2012
I don't like Ecchi by any means and I stay away from that in recent years but when I was younger I LOVED Highschool of The Dead for some reason. The animation was gorgeous for a 2010 anime and the soundtrack was great too. I really liked the characters and the action, the boobs and the butts did annoy me but I still found the overall experience very entertaining.
物事は良くなりますか ? 
Apr 8, 2020 3:35 PM
Oct 2018
His and her circumstances and monthly girls nozaki kun where absolute favourites i loved from a genre i dont really like but also dont hate either
Apr 8, 2020 6:18 PM

Apr 2018
Blaziken_Kaneki said:
I don't like a lot of genres (like a lot), but Mecha is probably my least favorite. Despite this, I enjoyed my time with Code Geass, even if it contains more than one genre I dislike (military, Sci-Fi, school). The only reason I gave it a chance in the first place is because I wanted more like Death Note after I reluctantly finished it, and when asked, a lot of people referred me to Code Geass, as well as Psycho Pass, and Guilty Crown. I didn't watch the last two though for some reason; don't even have them on my PTW. I haven't watched Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann yet though, so who knows? Code Geass might get passed up.

Same, I also don't like Mecha genre but surprisingly CG is one of my favorite show. I have also watched some other Mecha shows like TTGL ,DITF and right now watching NGE and even though some of them are good but I am not the biggest fan of these shows
Apr 9, 2020 12:01 AM

Jul 2015
Hate harem, but fell in love with monogatari
Apr 9, 2020 1:12 AM

Jun 2013
I dislike Harem, but Amaenaideyo was pretty funny and enjoyable.
~Where's Gnasty Gnorc? I'll torch him!~
Apr 9, 2020 1:32 AM

May 2018
Not a big fan of ecchi but Highschool Of The Dead was so entertaining i've rewatched it twice-
Apr 9, 2020 6:23 AM

Jul 2014
Thought this image would be appropriate for this thread:

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» MAL Clubs

Ryzenn11_ - 11 minutes ago

1 by Ryzenn11_ »»
9 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 3 4 )

707supremacist - May 5

150 by tchitchouan »»
12 minutes ago

» Which is the correct anime consumption posture?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

14 by SgtBateMan »»
14 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1042 by Kamira00 »»
17 minutes ago

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

126 by Ratris_Decision »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.