Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 16, 2017 12:55 PM

Dec 2007
Bravejoshy said:
In the MAL Forum system, it is really hard to discern good posts in certain topic out of all the various posts people post online. Should there be a point system to determine which post is helpful or not to resolve this problem?

This system is called the brain.

Mindless like system is probably where we're headed with MAL though after all these years.
After all, it is the largest anime community the last time I checked
Jan 16, 2017 1:37 PM

Oct 2010
Pullman said:
Perfect12 said:
I see people here say the reason there aren't voting buttons in MAL is because of "respect" as they conviniently miss the part where other users constantly try to convince you what a dumbass you are for thinking in a definite way. The upvote, downvote button will, yes, be bad because many replies will be ignored and be downvoted but it seems like you forget that despite the lack of such buttons the users do pretty good job of bashing and not respecting each other on their own. It's not a discussion, it's "hahaha, really? How could you...?"

jal90 said:
>People fearing that this forum will circlejerk
>Implying that circlejerks don't happen already

I wouldn't mind a like system, but I doubt that this, alone and by itself, would make the forum experience more efficient. The best way to discern good posts is still reading them.

Well humans argue and insult each other and groups with similar interests/values will cirlejerk themselves, you can't turn that off. But the least you can do is guarantee that these inevitable actions don't have any consequences in terms of shaping which posts are read/on top. If the first one to post happens to have a contrarian opinion his post shouldn't be degraded to the 1000th position or made invisible just because the majority doesn't agree with him. That's the difference between having cirlejerks on a neutral site or the whole site becoming a cirlejerk by definition. To me that difference is HUGE.

While agreeing here, I want to emphasize on something now that the issue has been brought again. Having a like system does not imply having the Reddit like system. Among other things because Reddit can barely qualify as a forum, it is a comment section.

I'm not sure what is the OP proposing but if he said something about having the posts ordered one way or the other according to their popularity or relevance, I obviously disagree. This would make zero sense in the dynamics and structure of this forum. A simple like feature, however...
Jan 16, 2017 4:03 PM

Sep 2009
Bravejoshy said:
In the MAL Forum system, it is really hard to discern good posts in certain topic out of all the various posts people post online. Should there be a point system to determine which post is helpful or not to resolve this problem?

I don't think the moderators would be stupid enough to trust regular users with that kind of power.

Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Jan 16, 2017 4:06 PM

Jul 2014
As if r/anime is any better? "Oh you hate Kimi No Na Wa?" downvote to oblivion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» You may not be able to have offspring with your alien partner.

Absurdo_N - 8 hours ago

13 by Soverign »»
1 hour ago

» Do you think there is life in the Andromeda galaxy?

Absurdo_N - 5 hours ago

4 by deg »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » What do mermaids eat?

Absurdo_N - 5 hours ago

7 by deg »»
1 hour ago

» Why do people abandon their friends for relationships?

Amityblight - Yesterday

42 by Serafos »»
2 hours ago

» Life has its ups and downs, would you say you're at a low or at a high?

EmiliaHoarfrost - 11 hours ago

13 by RainyEvenings »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.