Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 15, 2017 8:28 PM
Jul 2016
In the MAL Forum system, it is really hard to discern good posts in certain topic out of all the various posts people post online. Should there be a point system to determine which post is helpful or not to resolve this problem?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 15, 2017 8:30 PM

Jul 2016
Umm, how do you go about discerning what's a 'shit' post on the first place? MAL forum is weird, but definitely not Flawed.
damn, the forums these days...
Jan 15, 2017 8:35 PM

May 2016
All I know is that this is the Anime Discussion section and the whole point here is to discuss, not to give a one off answer/advice to the poster. Also, have a point system would mean that popular opinions or dank shitposting would get the spotlight and overshadow the more unpopular but potentially helpful posts.
HyperLJan 15, 2017 8:39 PM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jan 15, 2017 8:48 PM

Jul 2014
I actually wouldn't mind a like button, it would make the forums a little more livelier.
Jan 15, 2017 8:50 PM

Sep 2009
Of course it is. Everything is flawed, although it's true that the flaws of MAL forums are far more extreme.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jan 15, 2017 9:05 PM

Aug 2013
Unless mods always wanted to merge all redundant thread in anime discussion in one thread, there will be new similar thread everyday.

As for topic that dont belong in anime discussion, make full use of report button. You can use it for spammer / bot / specific anime discussion or thread that doesnt encourage discussion.

Additionally, I wish there is way to hide quote pyramid when 2 people are talking to each other.
And there should a method to give negative point for people that derail the topic / hate speech
Nah, i dont think sharing anime ratings in signature is cool thing.

Here, stare at this pointless signature instead.
Jan 15, 2017 9:35 PM

Aug 2008
No need. This isn't popularity contest.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jan 15, 2017 9:44 PM

May 2014
I think a like or thanks button would be nice.
Jan 15, 2017 9:49 PM

Feb 2013
no; i prefer it with no points
i can discern good posts very good myself
go to reddit or cuckoldbird or some other site
Jan 15, 2017 11:42 PM

Nov 2009
From my experience with point systems, personalized likes (that is, under the post there goes a list of names of people who liked the post) are a lot more productive. Since it's MAL, I would like that people in a user's "friends" list would be highlighted among the list of likers.

"Dislike" button is likely to get abused. "Report" button with reasonably active moderators seems to work better.

Bravejoshy said:
In the MAL Forum system, it is really hard to discern good posts in certain topic out of all the various posts people post online.

As a rule of thumb, long posts are written by serious people, and are serious answers.

iwansquall said:
Additionally, I wish there is way to hide quote pyramid when 2 people are talking to each other.

Aren't quote pyramids already hidden? Or do you mean ability to hide the pyramid back when you open it?
Jan 15, 2017 11:55 PM

Nov 2014
Bravejoshy said:
In the MAL Forum system, it is really hard to discern good posts in certain topic out of all the various posts people post online. Should there be a point system to determine which post is helpful or not to resolve this problem?

What's so flawed about the system, this is how a good number of forums work. Sounds like your just lazy to... I don't know... read the threads.

Besides, doesn't practically the whole MAL complain about how most people have shit taste? Yeah allowing the "most people" to vote on a point system will certainly help ease the complaining.

flannan said:
From my experience with point systems, personalized likes (that is, under the post there goes a list of names of people who liked the post) are a lot more productive. Since it's MAL, I would like that people in a user's "friends" list would be highlighted among the list of likers.

"Dislike" button is likely to get abused. "Report" button with reasonably active moderators seems to work better.

Yeah, a personalised white list of users that allow individuals to more easily find posts they like would be great.

iwansquall said:

flannan said:
Aren't quote pyramids already hidden? Or do you mean ability to hide the pyramid back when you open it?

I think people should edit their quotes more, removing parts irrelevant to their reply. I do that all the time, I wish more people would too. There's rarely a point in keeping previous quotes.

Also on a side note, I hate people who quote the original post, then leave one sentence below it. It makes sense if you are addressing multiple people in the same post or highlighting a certain part. But it's rather annoying when people quote the whole thing (sometimes even with images), only to say "Lol I agree"
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 16, 2017 5:53 AM

Feb 2010
god fucking no, point systems and upvoting are cancer and ruin the integrity of any forum, turning it into a populistic cancer hivemind where everything that goes against the majority has no chance of being heard. I can already imagine every user liking old anime getting downvoted to oblivion at every opportunity.

That suggestion is pure cancer and I would most definitely quit MAL if it ever happened. You are free to go to reddit or whereever if you prefer these cancer upvoting systems but personally I'd really like to keep at least one big forum that doesn't suffer from this cancer.

I don't think I've said cancer often enough tbh.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 16, 2017 6:01 AM

Feb 2015
First we have to make a restriction that, if it is flawed, what is the flaws? Are you confident enough to point it because you know the rules, if so, what is it? Should I assume that you know all the rules?

No, helpful botton or +1/-1 system in the forum breaks the fun of using the forum itself. Simply put it, if a person have 100 +1 and 20000 -1 to his comment, whereas a dude who have 1000000 +1 and no -1, is the Person 2 more "well-known" than Person 1?

In conclusion, this is the reason why the board removed the +1/-1 in reviews; it promotes elitism.

I'd argue that the rules stands on its own, it is useless indeed, very useless. But it keeps the forum at least to function as what it is today, so that's the ultimate goal of rules, ppl don't like to be bound by things so that's the reason why they don't like it.
Jan 16, 2017 6:08 AM

Aug 2014
Upvote/Downvote systems is what makes reddit cancer. It would only make MAL even more shitty as the circlejerk will upvote what they like and downvote what they don't, with no respect for the content of meaning of the thread, so hell no.
Jan 16, 2017 6:25 AM

Apr 2016
I see people here say the reason there aren't voting buttons in MAL is because of "respect" as they conviniently miss the part where other users constantly try to convince you what a dumbass you are for thinking in a definite way. The upvote, downvote button will, yes, be bad because many replies will be ignored and be downvoted but it seems like you forget that despite the lack of such buttons the users do pretty good job of bashing and not respecting each other on their own. It's not a discussion, it's "hahaha, really? How could you...?"
Jan 16, 2017 6:27 AM

Apr 2015
See Memecenter comment section and you will understand why it wont work on MAL.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 2017 6:32 AM

Mar 2016

The popularity ones are easily seen from how many the reply for the discussion . So we ain't need such upvote like that

You're think like that mainly because no good post you're found in recent time
It's happen because many good post has been existed before and usually forum administrator usually deleted the post that have same meaning/title with previous ones.
So that's why we got less of good post to discuss right now
RioAlJan 16, 2017 6:35 AM

Jan 16, 2017 6:34 AM

Feb 2016
The real problem of MAL is the fucking dogshit broken search engine. Jesus Christ, fix that shit already, it's unusable..

Vote system is shit, no need to encourage more circlejerk, this is a forum, not plebbit.
Jan 16, 2017 6:38 AM

Feb 2015
Aquamirror said:
The real problem of MAL is the fucking dogshit broken search engine. Jesus Christ, fix that shit already, it's unusable..

Lol... If you look in the Support Board, Comic_Sans have already address this( multiple times), and Luna have responded. Read it there.
Jan 16, 2017 6:43 AM

Feb 2016
_Ako_ said:
Aquamirror said:

Lol... If you look in the Support Board, Comic_Sans have already address this( multiple times), and Luna have responded. Read it there.

Cool. Still kinda weird to work directly on the forum and leaving a broken system in place when you can test it on a different server lol.
Jan 16, 2017 6:55 AM

Jun 2015
iwansquall said:
Unless mods always wanted to merge all redundant thread in anime discussion in one thread, there will be new similar thread everyday.

As for topic that dont belong in anime discussion, make full use of report button. You can use it for spammer / bot / specific anime discussion or thread that doesnt encourage discussion.

And there should a method to give negative point for people that derail the topic / hate speech
what an excellent option....

lets give ppl neg points cuz you dont like what they say.

Snappynator said:
Upvote/Downvote systems is what makes reddit cancer. It would only make MAL even more shitty as the circlejerk will upvote what they like and downvote what they don't, with no respect for the content of meaning of the thread, so hell no.
with the opposing circlejerk doldoing in their own barrage of such votes

oh and moar pplz makin fake ids for just voting.
Jan 16, 2017 6:57 AM

Jun 2012
LIKE THIS POST IF YOU THINK MAL IS FLAWED

Have you seen the Youtube comment system? Some of the most inane stuff will always come out on top, lowest common denominator posts.
Jan 16, 2017 7:03 AM

Apr 2014
No it isn't. Every forum is like this, and having the topics that are the most recent at the top is the most useful, because otherwise new posts would never get any comments, due to all the other posts being at the top.
Jan 16, 2017 7:03 AM

Oct 2014
well i hardly find those points system other forums use to be any helpfull to pick the best comments
Jan 16, 2017 7:06 AM

Feb 2016
Should there be a point system to determine which post is helpful or not to resolve this problem?

Maybe in like the Support (Help) section or similar... could be some option for the OP to mark his thread as "Solved" by marking which post helped his issue. Not really necessary though... I think the forums are fine. Just skim through the thread til you find whatever post you're looking for.

999 said:
LIKE THIS POST IF YOU THINK MAL IS FLAWED

Have you seen the Youtube comment system? Some of the most inane stuff will always come out on top, lowest common denominator posts.

NOTIFICATION SQUAD REPORT!

On another note, I've only gotten a top comment once... always silly comments and meme related comments nowadays.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Jan 16, 2017 7:39 AM
Aug 2015
The only flawed thing about MAL's forums is the fact that people with the mentality of a 10 year old are able to post.
Jan 16, 2017 7:46 AM

Aug 2010
Why is this in AD anyways? Crazy noisy bizzare town
Jan 16, 2017 8:00 AM

Feb 2014
Plz, no.
First of all, a Reddit-like system would make this a bunch of circlejerk and discourage people of posting here (Some people just want to show and discuss their opinions without being judged upon)

I'm also kinda skeptical about a "Like" button, i think what would be much better would be like... either :) , :| and :( or "HaHa" and "Sad"
Jan 16, 2017 8:03 AM

Dec 2016
If you add a like system this entire forum will circlejerk.

Sometimes shitposts are funny. Sometimes shitposts give me AIDS. Its always a risk to click anywhere on the internet.
Jan 16, 2017 8:05 AM

Dec 2016
oryouohagi said:

Because we're talking in My(Anime)List forums, of course.
Jan 16, 2017 8:13 AM

Aug 2010
Saediss said:
oryouohagi said:

That was weak. Let the voice of love take you higher
Jan 16, 2017 8:14 AM

Dec 2016
oryouohagi said:
Saediss said:

The opportunity was there and I took it. Can you really blame me?
Jan 16, 2017 8:16 AM

Aug 2010
Saediss said:
oryouohagi said:

The opportunity was there and I took it. Can you really blame me?

True that Kuuhaku no lasuto peegi, sono kobushi wo tatakikome
Jan 16, 2017 10:14 AM

Oct 2010
>People fearing that this forum will circlejerk
>Implying that circlejerks don't happen already

I wouldn't mind a like system, but I doubt that this, alone and by itself, would make the forum experience more efficient. The best way to discern good posts is still reading them.
Jan 16, 2017 10:23 AM

Jul 2014
Pullman said:
god fucking no, point systems and upvoting are cancer and ruin the integrity of any forum, turning it into a populistic cancer hivemind where everything that goes against the majority has no chance of being heard. I can already imagine every user liking old anime getting downvoted to oblivion at every opportunity.

That suggestion is pure cancer and I would most definitely quit MAL if it ever happened. You are free to go to reddit or whereever if you prefer these cancer upvoting systems but personally I'd really like to keep at least one big forum that doesn't suffer from this cancer.

LOL MAL isn't like this already? At the very least you could meet like minded people who would otherwise be lurkers or someone who doesn't want to repeat what was said already.
Jan 16, 2017 10:28 AM

Feb 2016
Modern libtards surely like to censor themselves, uh
Jan 16, 2017 10:34 AM

Feb 2010
Perfect12 said:
I see people here say the reason there aren't voting buttons in MAL is because of "respect" as they conviniently miss the part where other users constantly try to convince you what a dumbass you are for thinking in a definite way. The upvote, downvote button will, yes, be bad because many replies will be ignored and be downvoted but it seems like you forget that despite the lack of such buttons the users do pretty good job of bashing and not respecting each other on their own. It's not a discussion, it's "hahaha, really? How could you...?"

jal90 said:
>People fearing that this forum will circlejerk
>Implying that circlejerks don't happen already

I wouldn't mind a like system, but I doubt that this, alone and by itself, would make the forum experience more efficient. The best way to discern good posts is still reading them.

Well humans argue and insult each other and groups with similar interests/values will cirlejerk themselves, you can't turn that off. But the least you can do is guarantee that these inevitable actions don't have any consequences in terms of shaping which posts are read/on top. If the first one to post happens to have a contrarian opinion his post shouldn't be degraded to the 1000th position or made invisible just because the majority doesn't agree with him. That's the difference between having cirlejerks on a neutral site or the whole site becoming a cirlejerk by definition. To me that difference is HUGE.

As jal said, reading posts is the best way to discern their quality and with the current system belonging to a minority still allows your posts to be read with equal opportunities. To me that's the minimum requirement for being a place where people talk to each other as equals and without certain opinions being suppressed from the start. I don't want other people to decide for me which posts are worth reading. I don't trust those people. And unless you literally ARE the mainstream in terms of every opinion and value you have, neither should any of you.

mattao313 said:
Pullman said:

LOL MAL isn't like this already? At the very least you could meet like minded people who would otherwise be lurkers or someone who doesn't want to repeat what was said already.

Not really, if you post in a thread early enough people will read your post no matter how weird your opinion is. Nobody can make your post any less visible than others. Of course people can still choose to ignore it after they read it, but that's just basic human behaviour. At least they made that decision after reading the post and being fully informed in what it is they choose to ignore. With voting systems other people make that choice for you and cou can't control what posts are on the top and which are on the bottom. You'll always have 20 posts saying the same (the most popular opinion) on the top while now you can have 20 different opinions on the first page of a thread.

How does that make it easier to meet likeminded people if you belong to a minority? Right now I can see all kinds of opinions in the early pages of a thread and if I like what someone says I can get to know them better etc... With a voting system you'd only see the upvoted mainstream posts and everything deviating from that would be hard to find. Unpopular opinions, lengthy detailed posts not many people read would be alongside spam and insults and the bottom. No fucking thanks.

And that's just talking about the objective flaw of any voting-based communication system. It inherently suppresses unpopular opinions and turns any topic into a circlejerk by default. Anyone who doesn't see that as clear as the day is probably kidding themselves. It is 100% unavoidable that voting systems will have these effects and that alone is enough reason for me to reject and avoid any forum based on them. It scares me how many people seem to actively want these attributes in their forums but whatever, I don't care about them existing as long as I have alternatives like MAL where the site itself doesn't have a mechanic to make communication even more biased than it already is as soon as humans are involved.

On top of that I have more subjective reasons to reject the idea, like the fact that posts that tend to get many upvotes are usually
-trying to be funny
-short
-snarky
-easy to digest

while stuff that focuses more on intelligent content, in-depth analysis and being thorough than being funny, short and easy to read has a much harder time gaining recognition.
AlcoholicideJan 16, 2017 10:47 AM
Jan 16, 2017 10:59 AM

Aug 2015
Some people here needs to go to r/anime and never come back.
Jan 16, 2017 11:06 AM

Jul 2014

Oh sure I wouldn't want anything like reddit; but a simple like or +1 would be totally fine imo. I've been to plenty of forums that had like buttons that definitely show the minority opinion wasn't that "minority" at all. I would think a post with a lot of likes would grab the attention of your average skimmer quickly scrolling through the pages of comments.

Like you said their will always be the list of common like grab comments, but it here regardless of the a like button or not. We got plenty of meme, one liner guys, and jerks here.

To make it clear I do agree that a reddit style setup ain't the way to go.
Jan 16, 2017 11:15 AM

Feb 2010
mattao313 said:

Oh sure I wouldn't want anything like reddit; but a simple like or +1 would be totally fine imo. I've been to plenty of forums that had like buttons that definitely show the minority opinion wasn't that "minority" at all. I would think a post with a lot of likes would grab the attention of your average skimmer quickly scrolling through the pages of comments.

Like you said their will always be the list of common like grab comments, but it here regardless of the a like button or not. We got plenty of meme, one liner guys, and jerks here.

You mean the votes being displayed as a purely cosmetical thing without any actual effect?
I'd still be against it because I still believe that more often than not I'd be disappointed when I give an upvoted post a read that, without the votes, I'd have ignored. Basically it would waste more of my time than it saved. I just don't believe that democratic judgments align with what I care about very often in general, I guess, so I don't see the point of them in a context like this. Thanks Trump.

But I'd be against it with less passion in that scenario :>.
AlcoholicideJan 16, 2017 11:20 AM
Jan 16, 2017 11:18 AM

Feb 2008
Sounds like you want Reddit OP, just go to Reddit's anime subreddit and go wild then. This is a traditional forum.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jan 16, 2017 11:19 AM

Aug 2009
Sounds like you need to go back to reddit.

Heres an idea, actually read through the thread and decide on your own which posts you agree with.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 16, 2017 11:22 AM

Jul 2010
mattao313 said:

Oh sure I wouldn't want anything like reddit; but a simple like or +1 would be totally fine imo.

Likes or +1 would be fucking terrible for forum posts
Jan 16, 2017 11:28 AM

Sep 2012
Bravejoshy said:

Why don't you use your own brain to discern good points. Why do you have to rely on someone else to do it for you?
Jan 16, 2017 11:30 AM

Aug 2015
There is literally no forum system that is flawless...
But among all the forums I've visited till now, MAL is definitely one of the better ones..
Jan 16, 2017 11:53 AM

Jul 2014
Pullman said:
mattao313 said:

You mean the votes being displayed as a purely cosmetical thing without any actual effect?
I'd still be against it because I still believe that more often than not I'd be disappointed when I give an upvoted post a read that, without the votes, I'd have ignored. Basically it would waste more of my time than it saved. I just don't believe that democratic judgments align with what I care about very often in general, I guess, so I don't see the point of them in a context like this. Thanks Trump.

But I'd be against it with less passion in that scenario :>.

Yeah I guess you could say cosmetic but I would want it so it would reveal the names of the likers. I don't think it would remake or totally change anything but it would be a nice touch.
Tenth said:

Likes or +1 would be fucking terrible for forum posts

OK Cool, whatever.
Jan 16, 2017 12:07 PM

Feb 2010

It sounded to me like you thought it doesn't make a difference either way, but if you think the voting would make it worse then I've misunderstood. I agree and I'm not trying to say everything is good right now, just that no matter what you think of the current state, voting systems would make it worse imo.

e: oh he deleted his reply. well, whatever.

e2: now he's below me. I am confused.

e3: confusion cleared
Jan 16, 2017 12:08 PM

Apr 2016
Pullman said:
Perfect12 said:

Well humans argue and insult each other and groups with similar interests/values will cirlejerk themselves, you can't turn that off. But the least you can do is guarantee that these inevitable actions don't have any consequences in terms of shaping which posts are read/on top. If the first one to post happens to have a contrarian opinion his post shouldn't be degraded to the 1000th position or made invisible just because the majority doesn't agree with him. That's the difference between having cirlejerks on a neutral site or the whole site becoming a cirlejerk by definition. To me that difference is HUGE.

As jal said, reading posts is the best way to discern their quality and with the current system belonging to a minority still allows your posts to be read with equal opportunities. To me that's the minimum requirement for being a place where people talk to each other as equals and without certain opinions being suppressed from the start. I don't want other people to decide for me which posts are worth reading. I don't trust those people. And unless you literally ARE the mainstream in terms of every opinion and value you have, neither should any of you.

I haven't said that the button system will improve anything anywhere, I said the exact opposite; can't process how you interpreted it. What I wrote was in fact implying that users act as the lack of that system guarantees respect for one another and this is not the truth. The ability to downvote will only make it worse but let's not act as if there's no such thing as ridiculing and quarreling on a daily basis here.

edit: I didn't quote it right, that's why I deleted it. sorry
Jan 16, 2017 12:09 PM

Oct 2014
Bravejoshy said:

we reddit now.

check r/anime if you want that
Jan 16, 2017 12:20 PM

Aug 2014
Forums depend on the community, so it depends on people, who bear no responsibility. Of course there are going to be terrible people. just ignore the bad posts. Either they'll turn into shitpost havens, or they'll be deleted/fall to the bottom of all topics.

What I'd say is a little flawed is the seperation of topics. AD is a great example, since topics aren't really allowed to be about specific anime, while a lot of discussions tend to be about specific anime, or at least using them as example, making them seem like they're about specific anime. So there is only so much to talk about, so posts tend to be kinda bland. not that CD is any better but ya feel me
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk?

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

21 by Vendicator »»
19 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - Yesterday

17 by ISeeLifePeople »»
45 minutes ago

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Today

17 by ISeeLifePeople »»
48 minutes ago

» What do you think about law enforcement (police) in your country?

Sad - Apr 16

32 by KenaiPhoenix »»
2 hours ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Today

26 by KenaiPhoenix »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.