Japan's Monthly Manga & Light Novel Rankings for October

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 14, 2015 6:20 AM

Jun 2014
AdmiralKizaru98 said:
Agafin said:
True.

If the backlog sales of SNK haven't died now, two years after the anime, then they'll most likely remain strong until the end of the manga. The gap between One Piece and SNK volume sales is usually less than a million.

Its not less than 1 million its even a little bit over 1 million look at the 2014 sales list of the best selling manga per volume. Also you can look at the 2015 first half sales of the volumes.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1323439

2014 best selling volumes:
**1 3,010,801 ONE PIECE Vol.73
**5 1,895,305 Shingeki no Kyojin Vol.12
153 *,381,134 Shingeki no Kyojin 12 Limited Edition

3,010,801 - (1,895,305 + 381,134) = 734,362 < 1,000,000.

Nov 14, 2015 6:42 AM

Jun 2015
Agafin said:
AdmiralKizaru98 said:

Its not less than 1 million its even a little bit over 1 million look at the 2014 sales list of the best selling manga per volume. Also you can look at the 2015 first half sales of the volumes.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1323439

2014 best selling volumes:
**1 3,010,801 ONE PIECE Vol.73
**5 1,895,305 Shingeki no Kyojin Vol.12
153 *,381,134 Shingeki no Kyojin 12 Limited Edition

3,010,801 - (1,895,305 + 381,134) = 734,362 < 1,000,000.

Oh i forgot thelimited editions completely, sorry. Pretty big gap anyway.
Nov 14, 2015 10:57 AM
Sep 2014
SnK might actually give One Piece a run for its money next year because of the new anime.

One thing to note is that many times, One Piece will get 4 volumes a year. SnK gets only 3 volumes a year, which could mean an extra 2 million. But having a new anime changes everything, SnK has been getting these sales without an anime. It'll be a crazy year next year for the top spot, me thinks. Unless the SnK anime comes out in like October of next year and has very little time to give a boost. But my understanding is it'll come out in spring or summer.
Nov 14, 2015 12:25 PM

Sep 2013
[quote=MysticLeviathan]SnK might actually give One Piece a run for its money next year because of the new anime./quote]

One Piece has a movie next year :P and the manga is finally out of it's mediocre phase.
R.I.P snk.
Nov 14, 2015 12:59 PM

Apr 2014
MysticLeviathan said:
SnK might actually give One Piece a run for its money next year because of the new anime.

One Piece is getting a new movie next year which means another possible huge boost for the manga.
Nov 14, 2015 1:32 PM

Jun 2014
Well, One Piece sales dropped by 40% from 2011 to 2012 (38m-->23m) even though 2012 had a movie (it's most succesful movie ever) while 2011 didn't, so that might mean that One Piece is already saturated in Japan and might only get a mild boost per volume (though it should still add up to quite a lot when you multiply by 80 volumes). The question now is whether SNK too has reached saturation point in Japan, Its sales should drop by about 27% this year compared to the previous one (11.8m-->8.6m) even though it had a live action movie this year and none in 2014, so maybe? Though it's case is different from One Piece since unlike Strong Word, End of The World (or whatever it's called) had rather poor reception, both critically and at the box office so it's not exactly the best barometer to gauge SNK's saturation state. Next year can go either way really (unless SNK s2 airs in Fall as you said, Mystic).
Nov 14, 2015 1:50 PM

Apr 2014
MysticLeviathan said:

One thing to note is that many times, One Piece will get 4 volumes a year. SnK gets only 3 volumes a year, which could mean an extra 2 million. But having a new anime changes everything, SnK has been getting these sales without an anime. It'll be a crazy year next year for the top spot, me thinks. Unless the SnK anime comes out in like October of next year and has very little time to give a boost. But my understanding is it'll come out in spring or summer.

I still doubt season 2 will air next spring or summer because the director is working on a noitamina show, Kōtetsujō no Kabaneri, with Wit Studio and the same staff that worked on AoT. It will air next year and probably in the spring season because there's a Noitamina show airing in each season. Boku Dake ga Inai Machi another Noitamina show will air this winter and the only other known Noitamina show is Kōtetsujō no Kabaneri.
Nov 14, 2015 2:59 PM

Jun 2015
Betting on One Piece for number 1 is always the sagest bet.
Nov 14, 2015 3:18 PM
Sep 2014
Agafin said:
riqueterremoto said:
600k is a really big gap.It might not sound that much when we are talking about One Piece and SNK but just look at how much mangas make more than 600k average and you will see it isn't easy to just sell 600k more than you're doing now.
True.
AdmiralKizaru98 said:
Yes and without the backlog sales which will almost dissapear in a few years, if yo only look at the volume sales One Piece has over a 1 million copies gap.

If the backlog sales of SNK haven't died now, two years after the anime, then they'll most likely remain strong until the end of the manga. The gap between One Piece and SNK volume sales is usually less than a million.

Backlog sales for SNK died after the anime. The reason why they backlog sales are somewhat strong for snk is because the movies that just got released recently.
Nov 14, 2015 3:36 PM

Jun 2015
RedHair-Shanks said:
Agafin said:
True.

Backlog sales for SNK died after the anime. The reason why they backlog sales are somewhat strong for snk is because the movies that just got released recently.

Yep people always do like Snk didnt get any advertisement or somehow, just because it had no season 2.
Nov 14, 2015 3:48 PM
Sep 2014
AdmiralKizaru98 said:
RedHair-Shanks said:

Yep people always do like Snk didnt get any advertisement or somehow, just because it had no season 2.

Its the most advertised Kodonosha title. I'm really skeptical about the anime giving the manga another boost.

I'm ready for the fierce competition next year:D
Nov 14, 2015 3:52 PM

Jun 2015
RedHair-Shanks said:
AdmiralKizaru98 said:

Its the most advertised Kodonosha title. I'm really skeptical about the anime giving the manga another boost.

I'm ready for the fierce competition next year:D

Me too, but i hope there will also be big competition for the 3rd or 4th place like this year.
Nov 14, 2015 5:46 PM

Nov 2007
Agafin said:
Well, One Piece sales dropped by 40% from 2011 to 2012 (38m-->23m) even though 2012 had a movie (it's most succesful movie ever) while 2011 didn't, so that might mean that One Piece is already saturated in Japan and might only get a mild boost per volume (though it should still add up to quite a lot when you multiply by 80 volumes). The question now is whether SNK too has reached saturation point in Japan, Its sales should drop by about 27% this year compared to the previous one (11.8m-->8.6m) even though it had a live action movie this year and none in 2014, so maybe? Though it's case is different from One Piece since unlike Strong Word, End of The World (or whatever it's called) had rather poor reception, both critically and at the box office so it's not exactly the best barometer to gauge SNK's saturation state. Next year can go either way really (unless SNK s2 airs in Fall as you said, Mystic).

ONE PIECE's anime is still running, so the manga sales have probably already reached saturation. I don't think the new movie will have much of a boost at all, since the currently running anime is already somewhat maintaining its sales.

For Shingeki no Kyojin, it does not have an anime currently airing, but the live action movies have provided a boost to its sales. However, the live action movies have had a pretty bad reception, so the boost may not have been as big as it would've been if the movies were actually well received. The 2016 anime will surely provide a boost to sales, but it won't be as big as it was when Season 1 started airing since many already know about the series.

So, to reiterate, I think the 2016 Shingeki no Kyojin anime will provide a much bigger boost to sales than the new ONE PIECE movie will.
EjcNov 14, 2015 5:56 PM
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Nov 14, 2015 6:59 PM
Sep 2014
Ejc said:
Agafin said:

ONE PIECE's anime is still running, so the manga sales have probably already reached saturation. I don't think the new movie will have much of a boost at all, since the currently running anime is already somewhat maintaining its sales.

For Shingeki no Kyojin, it does not have an anime currently airing, but the live action movies have provided a boost to its sales. However, the live action movies have had a pretty bad reception, so the boost may not have been as big as it would've been if the movies were actually well received. The 2016 anime will surely provide a boost to sales, but it won't be as big as it was when Season 1 started airing since many already know about the series.

So, to reiterate, I think the 2016 Shingeki no Kyojin anime will provide a much bigger boost to sales than the new ONE PIECE movie will.

Yeah i agree, I believe the one piece movie will not give the manga a boost at all. the one piece anime has nothing to do with one piece manga boost of sales. One piece anime was running for 10 years when strong world came out, you could have said at that time there is no way for the movie to give a boost in sales because the anime was running for 11 years. Movie influence is very different from anime influence. One piece anime specifically has no influence over the manga sales now.
Nov 14, 2015 7:11 PM

Sep 2013
Ejc said:

One piece has alot more volumes thou and even a tiny boost will be huge :P
Nov 14, 2015 9:38 PM

Jun 2014
AdmiralKizaru98 said:
Betting on One Piece for number 1 is always the sagest bet.
True XD

RedHair-Shanks said:

"Died after the anime?" Then why did it sell as much as One Piece in 2014 (~12 million) despite having no anime?

RedHair-Shanks said:
Its the most advertised Kodonosha title. I'm really skeptical about the anime giving the manga another boost. I'm ready for the fierce competition next year:D
AdmiralKizaru98 said:

That's no different from saying that One Piece is the most advertised title from Jump, by far. So why is it not having as huge backlog sales as SNK? In fact, One Piece still has an anime so it gets way more exposure than SNK. Keeping your sales without an anime like SNK is a very hard feat. Just look at series from Jump with an anime (One Piece, Naruto) and see how it's easier for them to maintain their sales than series which don't have any for an extended duration (Bleach, Toriko).

Ejc said:

That's what I was thinking too, but this stuff is always so unpredictable.

RedHair-Shanks said:
One piece anime specifically has no influence over the manga sales now.

That's not true at all. Even if it doesn't produce any substantial boost, it at least keeps the casual fans 'interested' in the manga (or even aware of it's existence) so it prevents the sales from dropping at least.
Nov 14, 2015 10:15 PM
Sep 2014
anyways, One Piece is over exposed in Japan a new movie will do nothing to its sales. I still think SNK Anime will not do much for the manga sales, but u never know. I'd like to see SNK per volume sales above one piece for once. Competition is always nice.
Nov 15, 2015 12:52 AM

Oct 2013
The 2nd season of Attack on Titan and the One Piece movie will most certainly not bring any significant boost for either show. If Attack on Titan boost will be bigger than One Piece one? Well that is for anybody to guess, but I would assume that a 2-cour anime is a bigger advertisement than 1 Movie.

The only way for either series to get a boost when they already are this famous and widespread is for the content and advertisement(specially word of mouth) to really strike a chord in the audience in comparison with the previous content and advertisement provided(like the Strong World and since Sabaody arc One Piece did).
I don't think the Attack on Titan second season has such type of content, and unless next One Piece movie is a big upgrade from Film Z and Strong World it doesn't either, and I think is hardly likely for it to has that.

About Attack on Titan by the end of next year surpassing One Piece in individual volumes.
In 2014 AoT volumes sold around 2.0-2.2 Million and One Piece around 2.7-3.0 Million, this is a difference of 0.5-1 Million copies. So AoT would need to gain 0.5 Million fans because of the 2nd season, that wouldn't just a be a significant boost, but an amazing boost.

About Attack on Titan by the end of next year surpassing One Piece in overall sales.
If we consider both series have the same per year then we only need to look at the sales of new volumes and the boost.
Take the best of Attack on Titan and take the worse of One Piece, and we end with AoT = 2.2 Million *3 = 6.6 Million and One Piece = 2.6 Million * 4= 10.4 Million. This is a 3.8 Million difference, so AoT anime boost needs to be 3.8/20(number of volumes by the end of next year) = 180K new fans. And this is assuming One Piece has no boost at all.
I don't think AoT will be able to get a 180k new fans due to the new season, Gintama, Fairy Tail, Haikyuu, Tokyo Ghoul, Kuroko no Basket, Magi, and all the numerous other popular series that got a 2nd season had any such significant amount of boost due to their 2nd season. I don't think Attack on Titan will be any different.
For me a boost in the middle of a franchise life has to be because of "hype" that the current content gives to people, that is the reason why One Piece got a noticeable boost during Alabasta in the anime(beginning of Skypea in the manga) and Sabaody Archipelago in the manga(before the Strong World Movie release).
Just starting a new season means next to nothing.
Nov 15, 2015 2:32 AM

Jun 2014
bigivelfhq said:
Eh it's true that second seasons usually don't produce big boossts but next to nothing? Hunter X Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist got pretty huge boosts (200k+ per volume) from their remakes even though they were already popular. Tokyo Ghoul also got a nice boost (200~300k) from Root A (though this one probably had some overlap with season 1's boost).
Nov 15, 2015 4:41 AM

Oct 2013
Agafin said:
bigivelfhq said:
Eh it's true that second seasons usually don't produce big boossts but next to nothing? Hunter X Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist got pretty huge boosts (200k+ per volume) from their remakes even though they were already popular. Tokyo Ghoul also got a nice boost (200~300k) from Root A (though this one probably had some overlap with season 1's boost).

The key word here is "remakes"! A remake is different from a 2nd season/continuation.

Also, HxH and Full Metal Alchemist not only were remakes, so they were grabbing a new generation, but they came 7 years after the OVAs(10.5 years after the TV anime) and 4.5 years after the TV anime respectively.

HxH in 2008 best volume sold 863k, 2009 there was no book. 2010 only had 1 and that sold 942k, an increase of 79k. Showing that the manga was increasing before the anime.
2011 best sold 1.044M, an increase of 102k. 2012 best sold 1.09M, an increase of 46k. Showing that the remake boost was at most 148k(and that because the anime started in October, 1 month away from 2011 last recorded data).
2013 best sold 1.193M, an increase 103k, but that was the 2nd year of the series.

Full Metal Alchemist went from 1.082M in 2008(before the anime) to 1.278M in 2009(after the anime) an increase of 196k.

Nor HxH nor FMA got a 200k+ anime remake boost, with Full Metal Alchemist being the only coming close.

Probably saying "next to nothing" was too strong, but I'm only seeing Attack on Titan increasing around 50-100k copies per volume, around this year expected increase rate.
Nov 15, 2015 4:45 AM
Nov 2015
Ore monogatari is the best I see this year. Very fun.
Nov 15, 2015 5:13 AM

Jun 2014
bigivelfhq said:
Agafin said:

The key word here is "remakes"! A remake is different from a 2nd season/continuation.

Also, HxH and Full Metal Alchemist not only were remakes, so they were grabbing a new generation, but they came 7 years after the OVAs(10.5 years after the TV anime) and 4.5 years after the TV anime respectively.

HxH in 2008 best volume sold 863k, 2009 there was no book. 2010 only had 1 and that sold 942k, an increase of 79k. Showing that the manga was increasing before the anime.
2011 best sold 1.044M, an increase of 102k. 2012 best sold 1.09M, an increase of 46k. Showing that the remake boost was at most 148k(and that because the anime started in October, 1 month away from 2011 last recorded data).
2013 best sold 1.193M, an increase 103k, but that was the 2nd year of the series.

Full Metal Alchemist went from 1.082M in 2008(before the anime) to 1.278M in 2009(after the anime) an increase of 196k.

Nor HxH nor FMA got a 200k+ anime remake boost, with Full Metal Alchemist being the only coming close.

Probably saying "next to nothing" was too strong, but I'm only seeing Attack on Titan increasing around 50-100k copies per volume, around this year expected increase rate.

And SNK season 2 will have a 3-3.5 years gap with season 1 so it's comparable with FMA. Why are not counting the 2013 increase. It's one year later but the anime was still airing so it's still a boost, no?
Nov 15, 2015 6:05 AM

Oct 2013
Agafin said:

And SNK season 2 will have a 3-3.5 years gap with season 1 so it's comparable with FMA. Why are not counting the 2013 increase. It's one year later but the anime was still airing so it's still a boost, no?

I'm not counting the 2013, because what we are talking of the boost of just getting an anime, specifically AoT and One Piece results next year.
If the series is a long running, the added fanbase can be said that is because the series got an anime, given that it had it for quite sometime already. That would be equivalent as discussing the anime boost One Piece anime brings each year to the series(like this year is doing better than last, I will certainly not count it has because One Piece got an anime(anime boost)).

Full Metal Alchemist anime series totally ended, in term of presence is totally different from Attack on Titan.
Attack on Titan has an official announcement about when the next season will come and with that all type of advertisement and products of the franchise are pretty much active. Like the recaps and live-action movies, video games, the spin-off series and much more.

Attack on Titan right now is a semi-alive, but closer to alive, franchise. While, Full Metal Alchemist and HunterXHunter during those times(and like right now) were pretty much dead franchises(not talking of the manga).
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Unnamed Memory' Gets Second Season in Winter 2025

Nioxys - Yesterday

14 by 0ksid »»
21 minutes ago

» Manga 'Ranma ½' Gets New Anime Adaptation ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

70 by VivaceRex »»
2 hours ago

» 'Tokidoki Bosotto Russia-go de Dereru Tonari no Alya-san' Reveals Additional Staff, Second Promo

Hyperion_PS - Today

3 by MalchikRepaid »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Boku no Hero Academia' Ends in Five Chapters

DatRandomDude - Jun 24

32 by Fabris »»
7 hours ago

» Light Novel 'Isekai Mokushiroku Mynoghra' Gets TV Anime

Nioxys - Jun 23

7 by Fabris »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.