Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 13, 2010 2:57 AM

Mar 2010
Holy crap, I know. People would say "it's such a cliche" but really, why the hell do they have to make it such a depressing ending? They could have done something slightly less sad, couldn't they? They're dealing with all sorts of epic heroes, so they could have just done some sort of afterlife ass-pull that shows them reunited in the end, or maybe have a cleverly implemented "since the grail was destroyed, there's no magical force left to pull you back to your own time".

Other people might have enjoyed the emo ending but I really think that with all the shit the main characters went through, they should deserve a happily ever after together.

I'm totally agree, why a sad ending?
The relationship between Saber and Shiro is a plus to my rating but they just throw it away in the end. That why Fate/Stay night never get a 10 from me for such an uncool ending. (Never watch ep24 again!)

Well, actually, i did drop tears at the end with the ending song and when i saw Saber's Lion cos i love Saber so much . T_T . Oh man , manly tears drop again.
darkquachMay 13, 2010 3:09 AM

May 15, 2010 9:21 PM

Dec 2008
The ending was ok, too bad that they didn't end up together but I guess we all saw that coming from the beginning. Lot's of crazy things that I didn't understand. Like, if Shirou will eventually become Archer once again... Who knows. Still, I recommend it.
Jun 5, 2010 6:05 PM

Dec 2009
wait WHAT???
i really hate endings that make me go wait WHAT
hontou ni daikirai
work up all that romance and shit just to show us a middle finger huh?
Jun 9, 2010 4:10 PM

May 2010
This really left me with mixed-feelings, I don't really like this ending but on the other hand props for them doing it like this. I would have still preferred a more ''happy ending''. I just don't see the point, they build something up, the characters went through a lot of events. Then in the last episode just to be killed off, those anime's are good once in a while, but I have seen way too many lately with such an ending. I would take a cliche ending over this one anytime, I think.

I liked the anime though, so I will be lenient on the rating, it was a nice trip.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 11, 2010 1:31 AM

Nov 2009
Everyone who says the ending is cliche and stupid probably did NOT get the point at all. This may be in part to the anime's lack of focus on what Fate is really about (ideals), but the ending was if anything DIFFERENT from what usually happens. It's much more than a sad "main character dies" ending. Instead of viewing it as "Saber died bawww" think "Why did Saber choose to die?" - because YES there was a way for her to live, but that would have hurt the point of fate.

Seriously, of all the shitty things about the anime adaption? The ending is a saving grace. The closing line - still a masterpiece like it was from the visual novel.
Jun 26, 2010 9:58 AM

Jun 2010
First anime I've seen to have an ending that tooke me a day or two to recover from...

Damn that was sad!
Aug 6, 2010 11:33 PM

Jul 2009
Heart pounding, breath taking, and jaw dropping anime... up till the very end.

All I can say to express the ending is "wow." Because you would have never known what would happen next... until the end where three letters make up the word FIN.

Fate...

"The things you can not posses, are the most beautiful of all." -Gelgamesh
Aug 14, 2010 1:39 PM

Jul 2009
restivesilence said:
I do have to say that the ending surprised me, I expected a highly cliche end. So kudos for not doing that.

Oh, yeah! :) I was going to say that. xD I think lots of people would be expecting for Saber to stay, but she went away. Only that rises my score by 1.

As for the ending, I was reaaaally hoping for Tohsaka and Shirou to end up together. Somehow. But I was. T.T
Oh, well, we can't always have what we want. I'll go search for the VN and play it, it wseems like something interesting.
I'll rate this a 7/10.
Sep 4, 2010 10:53 AM

Dec 2009
Liked the anime till the end, didn't like so much the ending but Saber had to return to her time.
Sep 23, 2010 9:19 AM

Aug 2009
crappy ending
Sep 25, 2010 9:24 AM
Jul 2010
The ending was perfect. Yes, it was sad and it made me cry but it was just... I don't know. Even though Saber returned to her time just to die, it seems like that was exactly what she wanted, it was... a peaceful ending. But it will still take some time for me to recover. I'm blown by it right now.

About the fight, I enjoyed the previous episode a little bit more but this one was still great in that aspect. I loved Gilgamesh saying: "The things you can not posses, are the most beautiful of all." That almost made me like the guy (I've hated him since he first appeared).

Overall, I absolutely loved this anime. The only thing that strikes me as "not cool" is the meaninglessness of the Holy Grail Wars. All that everyone had been through was for nothing since the Holy Grail, for some reason (I have a feeling that the VN may explain that), doesn't grant wishes without causing major destruction. Otherwise, it was a really great anime that made me love the characters (I just wish that some had been more developed but I don't think that doing that with so many characters would have been possible for a 24 episode series) and the story itself. The animation was also pretty good: the art was clean, the color schemes were amazing and the fights were well animated.

I may not have much experience with anime but I really enjoyed this one and it's a 10/10 for me.
hontobakaSep 26, 2010 10:11 AM
Oct 1, 2010 6:15 AM

Oct 2009
Thought Saber was going to stay somehow... T_T

8/10 overall.
Dec 16, 2010 8:48 AM
Jan 2010
Well, firstly tl;dr so don't mind me if I'm saying what already been said. It seems like there is a lot of hate going around the ending of this anime. Are you guys really that shallow-minded to the point where you think every ending has to be happy? It was a sad, yet touching ending. I'd like for one person who has enough general knowledge about Anime to point out the flaws in the ending. Saber's departure from Shirou's world was inevitable. I fail to see any way Saber could have stayed with Shirou in the first place.
Dec 28, 2010 2:13 PM

Jul 2010
icycoldpepsi said:
Well, firstly tl;dr so don't mind me if I'm saying what already been said. It seems like there is a lot of hate going around the ending of this anime. Are you guys really that shallow-minded to the point where you think every ending has to be happy? It was a sad, yet touching ending. I'd like for one person who has enough general knowledge about Anime to point out the flaws in the ending. Saber's departure from Shirou's world was inevitable. I fail to see any way Saber could have stayed with Shirou in the first place.

Fully agreed. As awesome as Saber was, she really didn't belong in the present day world, and definitely not with Shirou. Sure, having her go back to her time just to die is quite heart-wrenching, but honestly it's as fitting an end as one could get--a hero's death. And on the positive side, at least we didn't get an amnestic ending, which would've been completely devastating. Fortunately, Shirou was able to find some closure and move on, and the ending, for me at least, was a rather sweet bittersweet. No complaints there whatsoever.

However, I didn't like the final two fights. Probably due to budget restraints, Saber vs. Gilgamesh was nowhere near as epic as it could've been (for reference, just look at Archer vs. Berserker). I was definitely hoping for some more nicely animated swordplay, but unfortunately that was traded in favor of the exchange energy blasts, which hardly cuts it for me. In any case, Gilgamesh's death was satisfying, and he even managed to give a nice line in the end to make me hate him less.

All in all, this show has been a fun ride, and despite the numerous bumps and problems along the way, it was very enjoyable for me. Great art and animation, nice characters (though a good number of them were just kind of forgotten) and an interesting premise set up a good series, and were it not for the overall slightly overambitious nature of the project when considering budget restraints, it could've been stellar.

This gets an 8/10.
Jan 20, 2011 2:06 AM
May 2009
Genix said:
A beutiful anime, with a beutiful ending.
Loved it.
I rate a 8/10 for the overall series, very close to a 9 at that.
Sleep well Saber... ^^

**Spoiler contains info on Fate staynight & Elfen Lied ending**
Jan 21, 2011 7:38 PM

Aug 2010
Man thats it? I want more! I'll just have to play the VN.
Jan 28, 2011 8:56 AM

Aug 2010
Donelop said:
Man thats it? I want more! I'll just have to play the VN.

Ya you should. Show covers only 1 route. The VN is alot better
Feb 2, 2011 5:40 PM

Oct 2010
First:
Is the VN in English? (or better yet Spanish).

And now:
This was a suitable way to end this. They I guess the ending would have been less painful if the ShiriouXRin relation had more development. I liked how he decides to go on with his life, remembering his feelings but not clinging to them.
Also i think showing her death was beautiful. They showed how all servants die (We never saw Hercules give the last blow to Archer but we saw some parts), and gave her a special death .

I would have liked to see:

- Oh and i was hoping for a RinXShiriou ending rather than him falling for Saber (for two second i though what she told rin as we ran was "Go out with me", had to go back and pause to read properly xD)
huh?
Feb 2, 2011 7:22 PM

Aug 2010
choyos said:
First:
Is the VN in English? (or better yet Spanish).

And now:
This was a suitable way to end this. They I guess the ending would have been less painful if the ShiriouXRin relation had more development. I liked how he decides to go on with his life, remembering his feelings but not clinging to them.
Also i think showing her death was beautiful. They showed how all servants die (We never saw Hercules give the last blow to Archer but we saw some parts), and gave her a special death .

I would have liked to see:

- Oh and i was hoping for a RinXShiriou ending rather than him falling for Saber (for two second i though what she told rin as we ran was "Go out with me", had to go back and pause to read properly xD)

Yes the VN novel is english don't know bout spanish. You'll also be able to get to see the end you want :D
Feb 2, 2011 10:04 PM

Oct 2010
Ragna92 said:

Yes the VN novel is english don't know bout spanish. You'll also be able to get to see the end you want :D

Thanks for the info.
I just finished watching the movie and ...
huh?
Feb 4, 2011 2:15 AM

Aug 2009
Wait wait...Saber "died"?
Feb 4, 2011 12:28 PM

Oct 2010
JayDestiny said:
Wait wait...Saber "died"?

She didn't died as servant... they kind of won the game, and destroy the Holy Grail. By doing so nothing was sustaining her anymore so she goes back to w/e the heroic souls came from,
They did show how she died in the rl.
Remember that all the servants are souls of Heroes at any point in time.
huh?
Feb 6, 2011 11:29 PM

Jul 2008
darkquach said:
Well, actually, i did drop tears at the end with the ending song and when i saw Saber's Lion cos i love Saber so much . T_T . Oh man , manly tears drop again.

This pretty much sums me after completing FSN :'(
Feb 21, 2011 1:15 PM
Nov 2010
8/10

Fate/stay night is one of those few show you know that it's possible for it to be a true masterpiece but a lot of thing are missing.

Anyway, finally a good Type-Moon adaptation series, KnK movies were horrible, this was very enjoyable even with all the flaws.

I was expecting a horrible studio Deen adaptation (Rurouni Kenshin anyone?) but it was alright, the animation is inconsistance but it was great at some part. The use of sound and music is a big plus for this series, they really know when to use them.

I'm disappointed that they didn't focus to much on the fact that the main character = Archer in the future...

Anyway, those 15 Gigabytes were really worth it.
Feb 24, 2011 10:16 AM

Dec 2010
Ending was good for me. I wished Saber could somehow stay but that would be even more of a cliche if she did. I didn't find any loose ends in the anime really.

Had a good time watching this anime series. Final score: 8/10

Apr 2, 2011 5:57 PM

Sep 2009
So in the end, Emiya Shirou was still Emiya Shirou and everything goes back to normal. Whoo? This show overall didn't do a whole lot to impress me. Characters lacked chemistry, Shirou sucked from day one and never stopped, the action wasn't that great, and the plot holes had a field day. Nonetheless though, there's something pretty enjoyable about watching this show. Maybe it was because of THORA's video quality, maybe it was because of Rin's legs, who knows. This one gets a 6/10.
Apr 9, 2011 6:49 PM

Aug 2010
Gilgamesh,Rin, and Archer are enough to make fate stay night one of the best
Apr 11, 2011 6:38 AM
Nov 2010
A pretty average anime, Rin and Archer were pretty cool characters...
May 16, 2011 11:14 PM

Nov 2010
Ragna92 said:

mm i personally wasn't impressed with the character designs...Rin reminded me too much of asuka from NGE. Gilgamesh and archer looked almost identical, which was kind of annoying. Anyway i hate watching 24 episodes and not getting a happy ending, but i guess cliche endings are kind of annoying anyway. The pacing was very hot/cold, but all in all it was an enjoyable series, i wouldn't rank it among the best i've seen however. 7/10
May 17, 2011 5:03 AM

Mar 2011
Bostonblows said:
Anyway i hate watching 24 episodes and not getting a happy ending, but i guess cliche endings are kind of annoying anyway.

True, but if they keep doing this in anime, endings like these are going to be cliché.
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
May 17, 2011 7:54 AM

Nov 2010
Treekodar said:
Bostonblows said:
Anyway i hate watching 24 episodes and not getting a happy ending, but i guess cliche endings are kind of annoying anyway.

True, but if they keep doing this in anime, endings like these are going to be cliché.

haha so true, i really would've much rather just had a happy ending after all that. The story was almost completely about that romance anyway. Opposed to everyone else on this thread though i think the ending was a bit open to interpretation, which i almost hate more.
Jun 16, 2011 11:56 AM

Sep 2009
Tomislavr7 said:

I agree
Rin and Archer are awesome characters!!!!
So wait...Saber's wish was to go back in time and die???
I was a little confuzzled with that

But overall the anime was great....I feel like the ending was a little bit rushed though
Jun 16, 2011 12:21 PM
Dec 2007
musicalsushi said:
Tomislavr7 said:

I agree
Rin and Archer are awesome characters!!!!
So wait...Saber's wish was to go back in time and die???
I was a little confuzzled with that

But overall the anime was great....I feel like the ending was a little bit rushed though
No. Let me explain. When Arturia was mortally wounded she made a contract with the world. She accepted to become a Counter Guardian (Heroic Spirits that get sent to clean up whatever threatens the world) in exchange of obtaining the Holy Grail. This made Arturia remain frozen in the moment before her death, unless she gets summoned as a Servant. When she gets eliminated as a Servant she returns back to her time and remains frozen in time, until the next summoning of course. This means Saber is a fake Heroic Spirit. She can't become a Heroic Spirit unless she gets the Holy Grail AND even then she has to die before being one. So she was lying when she said it was Shirou's fault that she couldn't turn into a spirit form and this is also why she remembers the 4th War (Heroic Spirits don't remember things that happened after their death).

Anyway, to the point, Arturia has 2 ways of escaping her time paradox. Either she obtains the Holy Grail or she gives up on the Grail. In the end she gives up on the Grail and wakes up from her "dream". After the last words she likely finally dies. Just for completion, her wish was actually for someone more competent than her to become King. She thought Caliburn made a mistake when it chose her and that someone more competent could have evaded the bloody civil war that cost her her life.
Leon-GunJun 16, 2011 1:06 PM

Jun 17, 2011 12:31 AM

Jul 2010
Sad ending but still good, although the anime was a bit confusing at times i really enjoyed it. I wish they had explained the story a little better and developed the character better that would have made it a much longer anime. Still i enjoyed the overall themes and story, i liked that it had action, romance, suspense, drama, and comedy. Although not a masterpiece it is definitely great in my mind and i definitely will miss it.
Rip Saber The King of Knights
Glad to see Rin live
Maybe Rin and Emiya end up together that would be funny and awesome
Fullmetal51Jun 17, 2011 12:36 AM
Jun 21, 2011 8:45 PM

Aug 2010
Fullmetal51 said:
Sad ending but still good, although the anime was a bit confusing at times i really enjoyed it. I wish they had explained the story a little better and developed the character better that would have made it a much longer anime. Still i enjoyed the overall themes and story, i liked that it had action, romance, suspense, drama, and comedy. Although not a masterpiece it is definitely great in my mind and i definitely will miss it.
Glad to see Rin live

That would be funny. He should end up with someone other then rin or sakura though. They already got UBW, and HF. Lets just say he ends up with Ilya in the fate route lol.

Jun 22, 2011 2:34 AM
Dec 2007
Ragna92 said:
Fullmetal51 said:
Glad to see Rin live

That would be funny. He should end up with someone other then rin or sakura though. They already got UBW, and HF. Lets just say he ends up with Ilya in the fate route lol.

That said, there was an Ilya route that they scrapped. Archer and his background was about the only thing they kept from it.

Jun 30, 2011 10:31 PM

Jun 2011
Finished watching the series a few days ago. I was not too pleased with the ending, but hey, at least it's not a cliché.

The plot was interesting and original for the most part, but where the anime went downhill is the character development. We barely got to know anything about the Servants, other than some really awkward flashbacks into Saber's past here and there. Emiya, as the lead male character, was more of a nuisance than a likeable persona.

I have no idea about the Visual Novels, but the anime is not a complete package by itself. Searching around various websites, I was able to gather that a big chunk of this otherwise great story was cut off. Personally, I feel that this anime deserved at least TWO seasons to fully capitalize on its plethora of interesting characters and plot elements.

Overall, it was enjoyable to watch, and the ending scene was very touching, but plot holes and underdeveloped characters left me wanting more.
Jul 2, 2011 7:18 PM
Dec 2007
Dissent said:
Finished watching the series a few days ago. I was not too pleased with the ending, but hey, at least it's not a cliché.

The plot was interesting and original for the most part, but where the anime went downhill is the character development. We barely got to know anything about the Servants, other than some really awkward flashbacks into Saber's past here and there. Emiya, as the lead male character, was more of a nuisance than a likeable persona.

I have no idea about the Visual Novels, but the anime is not a complete package by itself. Searching around various websites, I was able to gather that a big chunk of this otherwise great story was cut off. Personally, I feel that this anime deserved at least TWO seasons to fully capitalize on its plethora of interesting characters and plot elements.

Overall, it was enjoyable to watch, and the ending scene was very touching, but plot holes and underdeveloped characters left me wanting more.
This happens because the Visual novel divided all the information between 3 routes, aside essentials.

Fate route is just Saber's story and Shirou's love of her, nothing else is really said besides Gilgamesh obsession with Saber.

Unlimited Blade Works is Shirou and Archer's story, with some Rin on the side. You learn more of Caster too, and more info on Gil.

Heaven's Feel is the big info dump. Extremely melodramatic, the truth behind the Holy Grail, the secrets of the Matou family and Sakura, Rider's identity, and even Kotomine's real objective and background are explained. The fact it was never adapted is the reason why the anime watchers feel they weren't told all the details(Caster/Sakura anime arc is anime-original with only the Caster/Kuzuki relationship and the Sakura/Rin secret being actually part of the game).

The rest of the details, like Lancer's first master and Kiritsugu's background are either in the "sequel" to stay night (Hollow Ataraxia) or the prequel light novels (Fate/Zero). The anime is an incomplete package, basically. Fate/Zero is getting an anime, by ufotable no less, so you can look forward to that. It'll make the experience feel more complete.

Jul 2, 2011 9:55 PM

Jun 2011
Thanks for that informative post Leon-Gun. I didn't know Fate/Zero was getting an anime adaptation. Looking forward to watching it.
Jul 3, 2011 5:24 AM
Dec 2007
Dissent said:
Thanks for that informative post Leon-Gun. I didn't know Fate/Zero was getting an anime adaptation. Looking forward to watching it.
No prob. I was actually a little worried I might have been spoiling the plot so I held back. If you like Visual Novels or don't mind reading too much you should play the game if you're interested. You can add the realta nua voice patch + mirror moon's TL to the original game if you can find it online. I hear you can play the Realta Nua version on PC somehow but I have no idea. All Realta Nua adds besides voice acting is extra CG and BGM's and replacement of sex scenes for more acceptable ones.

Jul 3, 2011 7:11 PM

Jun 2011
Thanks. I'll definitely play them when I get the time.
Jul 3, 2011 9:46 PM

Mar 2011
Why can't these freakin animes end the way I want them to end. I haven't seen a happy ending since I watched soul eater and that was 3 years ago.
Aug 18, 2011 12:34 PM

Aug 2010
Bostonblows said:
Ragna92 said:

mm i personally wasn't impressed with the character designs...Rin reminded me too much of asuka from NGE. Gilgamesh and archer looked almost identical, which was kind of annoying. Anyway i hate watching 24 episodes and not getting a happy ending, but i guess cliche endings are kind of annoying anyway. The pacing was very hot/cold, but all in all it was an enjoyable series, i wouldn't rank it among the best i've seen however. 7/10

Gil and archer look nothing a like. And Rin and Asuka are nothing alike.
Aug 25, 2011 7:16 PM
Jun 2011
Just finished watching the series myself due to constant nagging of friends to finish it. This was due to the mostly underwhelming half of the show, that is until shirou stops sucking. Watching the anime to the end how ever i felt that 18-24's pacing was just like getting steamrolled by dialogue plot and character advancements. Now would to thank Leon-Gun for explaining a few things out already, but i still have some more questions myself:

Darkfalz89Aug 25, 2011 8:22 PM
Sep 12, 2011 12:34 AM

Jan 2011
This was pretty good, but now I have to decide whether to watch the prequel (Fate Zero) when it airs. I guess I'll give it a shot (even though if it is a true prequel, I already know mostly how it will turn out).
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Sep 12, 2011 1:23 AM
Dec 2007
Darkfalz89 said:
Just finished watching the series myself due to constant nagging of friends to finish it. This was due to the mostly underwhelming half of the show, that is until shirou stops sucking. Watching the anime to the end how ever i felt that 18-24's pacing was just like getting steamrolled by dialogue plot and character advancements. Now would to thank Leon-Gun for explaining a few things out already, but i still have some more questions myself:

Concerning Saber's final fate:

Anyway, aside from that epilogue and the writer's confirmation of her final fate, everything is pretty much as Studio DEEN showed. They actually didn't cut anything important from the "Fate route" and most of the changes consisted of them "adding" events from the other routes and an anime original arc (Caster/Sakura arc) that drew heavily from UBW (and took some details from Heavens Feel).

Anyway, UBW is far more about Archer than it is Rin.

Sep 12, 2011 5:47 PM

Aug 2010
Leon-Gun said:
Darkfalz89 said:

Concerning Saber's final fate:

Anyway, aside from that epilogue and the writer's confirmation of her final fate, everything is pretty much as Studio DEEN showed. They actually didn't cut anything important from the "Fate route" and most of the changes consisted of them "adding" events from the other routes and an anime original arc (Caster/Sakura arc) that drew heavily from UBW (and took some details from Heavens Feel).

Anyway, UBW is far more about Archer than it is Rin.

Which is why UBW is the best route. It is able to focus on more then 1 character and be so epic at the same time.
Sep 20, 2011 11:12 PM
Sep 2011
loved it, right until the very end. the ending made me a little sad too, but it's very appropriate, imo. i think i would have been much less pleased if saber continued living with shirou and everyone lived happily ever after. it's just too good to be true, lol. it makes a lot more sense if saber goes back to fulfill her duty. little bit of a slow starter for me but nonetheless, a great anime! 8/10.
Sep 23, 2011 1:21 PM

Aug 2010
Darkfalz89 said:

Darkfalz89 said:

I don't think type moon cares about what you want..
Ragna92Sep 24, 2011 2:50 PM
Sep 24, 2011 8:40 AM

Aug 2011
As soon as Saber said she loved Shirou I want someone to kill him right there -____-
7/10 Would be higher but shitty main chracter is a shitty main character.
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Ruzgfpegk - Jul 4, 2008

108 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:04 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Ruzgfpegk - Jul 3, 2008

137 by gannoncannon55 »»
Yesterday, 11:41 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 12, 2008

72 by gannoncannon55 »»
Yesterday, 11:20 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Desian - Sep 14, 2008

105 by gannoncannon55 »»
Yesterday, 10:55 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Desian - Sep 14, 2008

80 by gannoncannon55 »»
Yesterday, 10:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.