Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 29, 2015 6:54 PM

Nov 2014
Vietnamese is my native tongue, I speak English as a second language, think in English most of the times, can speak a little Latin (helpful much?).
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

Sep 29, 2015 7:03 PM

Jun 2015
English and spanish, I used to learn French, but then I dropped it.
Sep 29, 2015 8:59 PM

May 2014
English and Japanese.
I think in Japanese 90% of the time.
Yes, sometimes I mistranslate as well. Ex: In Eng you say taking a risk, but you don't say risuku wo toru in JPN. You're supposed to say Risuku wo Okasu
Sep 29, 2015 9:11 PM
Feb 2014
Speak 4 languages, some fluent, some intermediate, others learning.
Sep 29, 2015 9:39 PM

Aug 2012
My first language is Portuguese and I'm fluent in English. I took some classes in Spanish when I was kid and I can comprehend it pretty well, but can barely speak it myself. I began to learn German but college got in the way big time, so it's on-hold right now.
I think in both Portuguese and English and switch mid-sentence as well. My old roommate was also bilingual so we'd both do it and there was no problem, but now I got this bad habit.
Sometimes I wanna use words that only exist in the other language and it creates some awkward pauses in my speech.
Sep 29, 2015 9:51 PM

Jun 2012
Ben-Hur said:
Rarusu_ said:
Native Swedish speaker. I speak, think and dream in Swedish. I understand other mainland Scandinavian languages as well like Norwegian and Danish.

What about Finnish?

Remember that Finland is not part of Scandinavia ;)

My native language is Finnish and I grew up watching anime with German dubs so that's more than 15 yrs of learning another language by hearing. That makes me very much a fake bilingual person.

I also know English, Swedish and a little tiny bit of French and Japanese.

Edit. Oh and I was living with a bilingual guy whose native language is literally mixed Finnish and Swedish. It was so funny to listen him speaking with his "Swedish" speaking relatives because at least one third of their spoken language is Finnish.
annmaryjaySep 29, 2015 9:54 PM
Eight-Man said:
Remember, be an artist, not an autist.

"If anything simply cannot go wrong it will anyway."

~ Murphy's 5th law
Sep 29, 2015 9:52 PM

Nov 2013
Hakka is my first language my parents taught me but I'm much better at English. I speak Hakka mixed in with English to my parents.
Sep 29, 2015 10:17 PM

Jan 2013
I speak Violence. The one universal language. Even now these are not words really, but punches to your face from the monitor that your brain then processes into words.
Sep 29, 2015 11:05 PM

May 2013
superlink1205 said:
English and Japanese.
I think in Japanese 90% of the time.
Yes, sometimes I mistranslate as well. Ex: In Eng you say taking a risk, but you don't say risuku wo toru in JPN. You're supposed to say Risuku wo Okasu

You're from Japan? Cool!
Sep 29, 2015 11:21 PM

Aug 2014
English is my first language
Spanish is my second lanaguage
Sep 30, 2015 5:35 AM

Oct 2014
only japanese
my english is terrible
Sep 30, 2015 8:10 AM

Jan 2009
Rarusu_ said:
There is a theory saying that the urgermanic/proto-germanic language was some kind of contact language of an indo-european dialect/language and a pre-indo-european langauge, not related to indo-european at all. In that case it might have been an Uralic language, but it could also have been a language that was completely isolated and had no relatives, like Basque or Japanese.
Is it like English which has a lot of Words from French/Latin, but is still not a Romance Language or what do you mean with "contact language"?
Or wait, I think I'm starting to see what you're after. You mean, there was a common Language, from which both Indo-European, Proto-Germanic and possibly others emerged, which means that Indo-European and Proto-Germanic are like Sister Languages from a common Pre-Indo-European one?
I always thought that Pre-Indo-European had already been the hypothetical "Indo-European" Language.

Proto-Germanic being an isolated Language doesn't really make any Sense, considering Grimm's Law. Even considering the different Living Conditions, I'd rather say that they simply retained their Hunter Life Style when they had moved away from their Urheimat (ancient/original Homeland) or rather: they had migrated to retain it and found Woods with well, enough Animals to hunt while on the other Hand, those who remained or went elsewhere had to develop a more efficient, settled Life Style.

Rarusu_ said:
Swedish and English are both so called analytic languages, and hence why we like to take in new words, etc.
Isn't an analytic Language just another Term to describe a Language, which doesn't rely much on Inflections?
Like with Old English "habban" (to have), you could either say:
"ic hæbbe" or just "haebbe", because the Ending could be still distinguished from "þū hæfst", "hē/hit/hēo hæfð" or "wē/gē/hīe habbaþ".

I don't know how not having much Inflections has anything to do with how absorption-friendly a Language is. Based on that, Swenglish must be a much bigger Thing than Denglish or Franglais.
NoboruSep 30, 2015 8:13 AM
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » NEET vs Wage Slave (poll)

xZakai - Jun 17, 2021

40 by Zarutaku »»
13 minutes ago

» A primer on nerd culture

coolyfruity - Yesterday

4 by AzafuseKingTora »»
23 minutes ago

» What sort of education did you get? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 23, 2019

60 by Lambofgenesis »»
51 minutes ago

» What are you doing right now? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Mayhem- - Dec 25, 2020

466 by Lambofgenesis »»
1 hour ago

» why spelling of english language is so hard? its the only language that has spelling competition?

deg - Yesterday

24 by JaniSIr »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.