Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 16, 2015 7:03 PM

Dec 2007
As some have noted, certain people involved in this project have been known to be extreme in technical accuracy, and they've done a good job of zeroing in on this aspect of production. Based on some feedback I got both publicly and privately, I've decided to give some of the kind of research Midori has likely been doing: a modest overview of the aircraft featured, as well as answering some of the specific questions asked. I'll be adding for other questions as they come up in the show, and will answer others by request.

IAI Kfir (Green plane in opening):

Saab 37 Viggen (Blue Aircraft):

Mitsubishi F-1 (Yellow Aircraft):

McDonnel-Douglas F-4 Phantom II (Pink Aircraft):

Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-23 (Purple Aircraft):

Kfir's Range and Altitude:

Black-out, Red-out, and White-out:
ErwinJAJan 21, 2015 4:11 AM
Jan 16, 2015 7:07 PM
Oct 2012
ErwinJA said:
As some have noted, certain people involved in this project have been known to be extreme in technical accuracy, and they've done a good job of zeroing in on this aspect of production. Based on some feedback I got both publicly and privately, I've decided to give some of the kind of research Midori has likely been doing

Don't have the time tonight to read what you wrote (will later though), but I wanted to at least say you are the type of person who gives me hope for all of humanity.

Gudu jobu!!!
Jan 18, 2015 3:51 AM

Dec 2007
Nice post.

One note about the F-4: Its a two seater aircraft with a pilot in the front and a WSO or RIO (weapon systems officer or radar intercept officer) in the back. The WSO / RIO is missing in the opening (i hope they don't forget him in the Anime xD):

Some corrections / additions (i just skimmed over the F-4 part):

ErwinJA said:
By comparison, its initial Soviet counterpart, the MiG-21, could only carry four short-range missiles

This is only correct for later versions of the MiG-21. The early versions (e.g. MiG-21F-13 used by North Vietnam) can only carry 2 missiles.

ErwinJA said:
As such, pilots tended to expend all their missiles at once in the hope of increasing the chance of a kill, and a plane could still literally empty its entire missile armament without getting one!

In the later part of the Vietnam war US pilots were told to fire all missiles of the same type when they engage a target (e.g. fire all 4 AIM-7).

I will read the complete post later when i have more time. Maybe i will add some more comments.

Damn, i would love to see "Third Aerial Girls Squad"... maybe i should watch "Area 88" again.
SimonJan 18, 2015 3:56 AM
Jan 18, 2015 9:58 AM

Oct 2012
Back in late 2012, when he was directing Girls und Panzer, Tsutomu Mizushima
directly answered many technical questions from fans about the tanks (and other
military hardware) through his Twitter account:
https://twitter.com/tsuki_akari

Just now, my quick scan didn't pick up anything over the past week related to the
aircraft, but I wasn't super-careful.

I sure hope they'll add a RIO to the back seat of the F-4 Phantom to the OP when
the Blu-ray/DVD comes out. Either that, or they should reduce the smokiness of
the canopy to make it more evident that nobody is sitting there.
Jan 18, 2015 11:59 PM

Dec 2007
Simon said:
Nice post.

One note about the F-4: Its a two seater aircraft with a pilot in the front and a WSO or RIO (weapon systems officer or radar intercept officer) in the back. The WSO / RIO is missing in the opening (i hope they don't forget him in the Anime xD):

Some corrections / additions (i just skimmed over the F-4 part):

ErwinJA said:
By comparison, its initial Soviet counterpart, the MiG-21, could only carry four short-range missiles

This is only correct for later versions of the MiG-21. The early versions (e.g. MiG-21F-13 used by North Vietnam) can only carry 2 missiles.
This is true, and I apologize for the error - the ones fought in Vietnam were indeed only armed with 2 missiles, and the missiles were no better than the worst Sidewinder models in performance. However, by the time the US was invested in Vietnam, the MiG-21S was available to the Soviet Union. They just did not export such units to Vietnam until after the war, and were mostly giving away surplus F versions until the late-'70s as they upgraded their fleet. Also, the earliest variants could not carry any missiles, and some very late upgrades brought the capacity to 6. But, for most of the MiG-21's service life with the Soviet Union and elsewhere, it could carry 4 missiles.

I did think of making a distinct note of the fact that ALL F-4s were two-seaters, and that there should be another person there. However, I decided to give a chance for that to be addressed in the series. I also thought about pointing out that it should be Squadron.

ErwinJA said:
As such, pilots tended to expend all their missiles at once in the hope of increasing the chance of a kill, and a plane could still literally empty its entire missile armament without getting one!

In the later part of the Vietnam war US pilots were told to fire all missiles of the same type when they engage a target (e.g. fire all 4 AIM-7).

I will read the complete post later when i have more time. Maybe i will add some more comments.

Damn, i would love to see "Third Aerial Girls Squad"... maybe i should watch "Area 88" again.
[/quote]It wasn't just late in the war, and was especially prevalent for the AIM-7. The habit started relatively early and eventually caught on and became standard, to the point that it was getting taught. Of course, a better barometer of its (lack of) effectiveness was that most Israeli pilots refused to even use the AIM-7 at all during the Yom Kippur War - with an estimated total of something like 12 launches and 0-1 kills. Of course, the MiG-23 and R-23 were similarly unpopular, with many pilots preferring the MiG-21. But, I was intentionally keeping it simple for the post, rather than going into too much detail. Otherwise, I'd compare failure rates and kill probabilities, such as how 46% of all AIM-7 firings resulted in a launch failure, with 30-37% of AIM-9 firings going the same way. The actual kill rates in Vietnam that I know were as follows:
K-13 (AA-2): 12%
AIM-9B: 15%
AIM-9D: 19%
AIM-9E: 12%
AIM-9J: 15%
AIM-7D: 8%
AIM-7E: 10%
AIM-7E-2: 8%.
M61 20mm Rotary Cannon: 26%

And yes, they need to make an actual anime of this. It wouldn't be the first time that happened.
ErwinJAJan 19, 2015 12:12 AM
Jan 19, 2015 7:43 AM
Mar 2014
you're insane. I admire your passion. do you mind if I ask how you came to know all of this?
vegetablespiritJan 19, 2015 7:49 AM
Jan 19, 2015 1:14 PM

Oct 2012
Hi Vodall. You yourself pointed out that awesome information session on "Sakuga"
(作画) at that 2013 Anime Central convention in Chicago. I loved watching it. As
it explained, there is a very long tradition in anime of showing action scenes with
multiple missiles being fired. They gave many examples, such as "Project A-Ko"
(1986) which has a legendary missile battle scene.

For anybody here who has not watched that session, please have a look at it.
Here is the YouTube playlist link that Vodall already gave us in her earlier post:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuPNSyztkHPqV-M4ePSmN_2BLhONu0WLg
Note: "Project A-Ko" is mentioned in the 16th of the 16 videos.

I think that ErwinJA is providing very useful information that these missiles should
only be destroying their targets about 10% to 20% of the time. So the animation
should be done correctly so that those probabilities are right. The director of this
series, Tsutomu Mizushima, is a stickler for the accuracy of technical detail. So I
am sure that he will want to hear from fans about anything that needs to be
corrected before the Blu-ray/DVD comes out.

Besides that, anime fans in Japan get extremely obsessive about details. So
ErwinJA is giving us an extremely simplified treatment compared to what will be
seen on the Shirobako discussion boards for anime fans in Japan.

The absence of the RIO/WSO in the back seat of the F-4 Phantom in the OP was
an egregious error, and I won't be at all surprised if we later hear that some poor
animation checker got fired over it. Using dark-tinted plexiglass to try to hide the
issue was really blatant.
okanaganJan 19, 2015 1:27 PM
Jan 20, 2015 2:13 AM

Dec 2007
vodall said:
you're insane. I admire your passion. do you mind if I ask how you came to know all of this?
I've moderated modern tech military RPGs. And like Midori, I enjoy researching things I don't know. One project I worked on was a guide for . . . modern aerial combat. So, I have quite a bit of information archived.
I'm technically not an expert on this or almost anything else I comment on. I'm just a decent writer and a very good researcher, with results that speak for themselves. Strangely, I've been told, though am skeptical to believe, that some of my research was actually used in the decision-making processes of one or more governments. I do know some things I wrote were copied to military-related sites in at least 5 other languages though.

Oftentimes, I'll accidentally find something interesting while researching something else, which is where the missile breakdown came from - the research was for modern tech, so 1970s data was unneeded - the AIM-9L and AIM-120 so revolutionized aerial combat that Vietnam-era data was pretty much worthless to the project. But, I always save and archive such things for further use if needed.

@Okanagan: It does make a very big difference exactly when the show is set. If it's set in the late '70s, the dynamic is very different from '80s or '90s, when all of those planes were still in frontline service.
The Sparrow's failures, for example, were threefold: first, the semi-recessed hard points, while great at reducing drag, proved to be unreliable when launching missiles. Second was the guidance: the Sparrow was a just a step up from the earliest radar guidance technologies, and still required the missile to acquire and follow a signal reflected from the enemy aircraft. If it lost that signal for even a fraction of a second, which easily occurred if the launching aircraft made even slight maneuvers (and was one of the launch problems), lock was broken and the missile went ballistic. The third was that, while advertised as a BVR missile, it was never tested against high-performance fighters. While an AIM-7E could shoot down a 747 at 45 km, we now know that, in general, that would mean about a 15 km range for having sufficient kinematic performance to engage a MiG. As such, almost all BVR (beyond visual range) shots missed. And WVR (within visual range), it often wasn't agile enough to intercept. The E2 fixed the agility issue, but had a bad fuse to compensate.
For the Sidewinder, throughout the Vietnam War, the weapon had three weaknesses: Like the Sparrow, it was not uncommon for it to fail upon launch. This happened about 1/3 of the time. It also could only lock onto the rear exhaust of an aircraft, which limited the launch envelope, and also made evasion relatively easy. Finally, it was very, very easily spoofed. Early IR missiles had a tendency to home in on all sorts of silly things - including sunbaked rocks!

Later Sparrows had improved reliability, greater agility, and the benefit of learned tactics, doubling and even tripling their success rate. The AIM-9L, as the first all-aspect IR-guided missile, fixed almost every weakness in the Sidewinder when it was introduced in 1978, and is one of the most revolutionary weapons in the history of air combat, and saw astounding success rates throughout the 1980s while tactics against it lagged far behind. The AIM-120A AMRAAM likewise fixed most of the issues with the Sparrow when it entered service in 1991.
All of the aircraft depicted could use the AIM-9L with minimal upgrade work (well, except the MiG-23, which instead got the R-73/AA-11 in 1982). And the Viggen and F-4 both got AMRAAM upgrades, while later MiG-23s could carry the AMRAAM-like R-77 (AA-12), which entered service in 1994.
ErwinJAMar 2, 2015 3:23 AM
Jan 20, 2015 6:38 AM

Oct 2012
In late 2012, during "Girls und Panzer", director Tsutomu Mizushima (水島努)
used to interact with fans through Twitter about technical details of the tanks
as well as other specific information about the series. One time I tweeted him
a question and he sent me a nice reply. I had asked him for the names of the
three diligent members of the Ooarai Girl's High School Discipline Committee:
Sodoko, Gomoro and Pazobi.

This is Mizushima's twitter account: https://twitter.com/tsuki_akari

Note that if you only want to read tweets, rather than sending your own tweets,
you don't need to sign up to be a member on twitter. Just dismiss the big grey
window that pops up to ask you to sign up.

On January 9th, he sent out a tweet mentioning the Mitsubishi F1 (三菱F-1).
Here is a the link to the actual tweet:
https://twitter.com/tsuki_akari/status/553468496546254848
Here is the text of that tweet:
三菱F-1が格闘に不向きだとみんなに言われようが、聞く耳は持ちません。
It is basically saying that the Mitsubishi F1 has a bad reputation, but it sounds
like Mizushima is saying that it isn't actually so bad. If you go to that link, you
can see that several people replied to that tweet. One of those people is
Takaaki Suzuki (鈴木貴昭). He has been a military technical consultant for
"Strike Witches", "Upotte!!", "The Pilot's Love Song" and "Girls und Panzer".
Here is info about that airplane: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_F-1

Yesterday, Mizushima sent out a tweet mentioning the Mirage F1 (ミラージュF1),
the Mirage F5 (ミラージュF1) and the MiG-25. Here is the link to the actual tweet:
https://twitter.com/tsuki_akari/status/557180195883339776
Here is the text of that tweet:
「第三飛行少女隊」。 ミラージュF1やF5、それから私の世代には思い入れ
のある人の多いMig25などは、残念ながら選考からもれてしまいました。

Mizushima says that older people such as himself still have feelings for the
Mirage F1 and F5. Then he seems to be apologizing for not having included
the MiG-25 Foxbat.

Up to this point, I am not aware of whether or not Mizushima has issued any
declaration along the lines of "No panty shots; make the tanks accurate"
(パンチラ厳禁!戦車無理すんな!*) as he did for "Girls und Panzer". From what
I inferred in late 2012, the pressure of producing GuP apparently drove him
insane after Episode 10 and Mizushima started sending out some very strange
tweets. This time, perhaps he will be a bit more careful not to make too many
promises to the fans.

Obviously, "3rd Aerial Girls Squad" (第三飛行少女隊) is a work of fiction, so no
doubt Mizushima is going to take some liberties with the technical details. On
the other hand, I think he will go to a lot of effort not to do something which
looks obviously foolish or lazy to professional military experts.

[ * As I recall, this is not precisely the wording that Mizushima originally used,
but many fans have quoted him this way. ]

- - - - - - -

@ErwinJA: From Googling just now to get a very rough idea of the actual
"agility" of these missiles, I saw that a recent (presumably state-of-the-start)
infrared-guided missile, the IRIS-T, is capability of pulling 60 g's and turning
at 60 degrees per second, as mentioned here:
http://theaviationist.com/tag/aim-9-sidewinder/
If I happen to see one of the girls' missiles pulling a tighter turn than that,
I'll certainly be sending an angry tweet to Mizushima.
okanaganJan 21, 2015 4:03 PM
Jan 22, 2015 11:27 AM

Dec 2007
Not much in episode 15, but:

Do 228:

MRJ:

HondaJet:
ErwinJAJan 22, 2015 11:55 AM
Jan 24, 2015 3:23 AM

Dec 2007
vodall said:

Read some good books, e.g. "Clashes: Air Combat over North Vietnam, 1965-1972" by Marshall L. Michell III if you want to know about the air combat over North Vietnam. I just read too many books. xD Any good books about the air combat over Israel?

ErwinJA said:
I did think of making a distinct note of the fact that ALL F-4s were two-seaters, and that there should be another person there. However, I decided to give a chance for that to be addressed in the series.

It's just something i noticed, nothing really important. ;)
Jan 28, 2015 10:57 PM

Dec 2007
Simon said:
vodall said:

Read some good books, e.g. "Clashes: Air Combat over North Vietnam, 1965-1972" by Marshall L. Michell III if you want to know about the air combat over North Vietnam. I just read too many books. xD Any good books about the air combat over Israel?
Don't know of any off hand. I only have a couple tanker and infantry ones. A lot of my air combat information from there was packaged with other things, and some of it came from just talking to Israelis (going straight to the source can be good).
The Dogfights tv series did have a few episodes that covered Israel (and several dealing with 'Nam), and they provide a nice look at actual tactics.
Jan 29, 2015 1:12 AM

Oct 2012
Wow! That sounds thrilling to actually talk to professionals with immediate
knowledge about this stuff. It sounds more like you are doing professional
journalism. I guess they would have to be super-careful about what they say
and what they don't say. Ideally, it would be nice if they could ultimately
point you to some openly published reference so that you can confirm it in a
way that the rest of us can make use of. One tool would be the Freedom Of
Information Act.

- - - - - -

I checked just now on Tsutomu Mizushima's personal Twitter account He has
not tweeted anything more about airplanes.
okanaganJan 29, 2015 1:15 AM
Jan 29, 2015 8:20 AM

Dec 2007
okanagan said:
Wow! That sounds thrilling to actually talk to professionals with immediate
knowledge about this stuff. It sounds more like you are doing professional
journalism. I guess they would have to be super-careful about what they say
and what they don't say. Ideally, it would be nice if they could ultimately
point you to some openly published reference so that you can confirm it in a
way that the rest of us can make use of. One tool would be the Freedom Of
Information Act.

- - - - - -

I checked just now on Tsutomu Mizushima's personal Twitter account He has
not tweeted anything more about airplanes.
All of my information is available on open sources, just not always easy to find. Even what I heard from the pilots is stuff you can find on your own if you search properly. However, a lot of my data is also from online content that I can no longer pull up - either I can't find it again or know for certain that the page is gone. This includes a comprehensive list of armor and penetration values for various tanks and cannons, a comprehensive comparison of the costs of a MiG-29 VS an F-16, a full breakdown, item by item (with prices) of a MiG-29 sale to Venezuela, the single most comprehensive source for info on WWII battleships, and a host of others.
It was actually after several of these website went completely defunct that I started saving data itself instead of just links.

As far as hard data goes, talking to people who served mostly just verifies information or discredits bad stats. It's more interesting for the personal stories and opinions than the facts, many of which they can't share.
ErwinJAJan 29, 2015 8:24 AM
Jan 29, 2015 8:54 AM

May 2009
New designs vs old designs
Jan 29, 2015 10:54 AM

Oct 2012
I think that from 02:21 to 02:22 the bear (Roro) and the pirate girl (Mimujii)
were attacking a B-36 Peacemaker:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_B-36_Peacemaker
It is very distinctive in that it had six rear-facing propeller engines. Only
four were visible, but it was drawn in such a way that there might have been
a total of six engines. In addition, later versions of the B-36 had four jet
engines slung on pylons out near the wingtips. That made for a total of ten
engines.

For the pirate girl to be flying a chibi-F4-Phantom meant that it is possible
to take a lot more liberty with technical accuracy without experts being able
to complain that certain rivets were drawn in the wrong place.

Pirate girl's F4 included a weird thin black bump on the bottom of the nose.
Apparently, some versions of the F4 had it while others did not.
http://www.aviastar.org/pictures/usa/mcdonnel_phantom.gif
http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints-depot/modernplanes/mcdonnell-douglas/mcdonnell-douglas-f-4-phantom-ii-4.gif
What is that thing for, anyway? Apart from that, Pirate girl's F4 is remarkably
accurate in all of its details, up to and including the locations of the hard points
for the missiles.

I don't know what Roro the bear was flying.
okanaganJan 29, 2015 11:28 AM
Jan 29, 2015 12:30 PM
Jan 29, 2015 12:44 PM

Jan 2015
Papercraft models of super deformed Miitsubishi T-2 and Mitsubishi F-4EJ Phantom

I think Roro was flying a Mitsubishi F-1 (which is based on the T-2).. the black bump on the Phantom is the M61A1 20mm Vulcan cannon, which the F-4EJ is equipped with.
Bontakun65Jan 29, 2015 12:49 PM
Feb 3, 2015 6:48 PM

Dec 2007
Bontakun65 said:
the black bump on the Phantom is the M61A1 20mm Vulcan cannon, which the F-4EJ is equipped with.
This is a common misconception. Most variants of the F-4 Phantom had the little bulge in the nose. In the F-4B/C models, this originally housed an early IRST (InfraRed Search & Track) system. In the D model, it either held a radar warning receiver, or was deleted entirely. A similar structure was used to house the M61 cannon, so just seeing a bulge in the nose means nothing.

There are two key things to look for in differentiating the F-4E from earlier models:
1) The nose is much longer. An excellent visual cue is the bulge you noticed itself. In the earlier, gunless models, that bulge extends almost to the tip of the nose. In the F-4E, the nose extends well beyond the bulge.
2) The length and placement of the bulge. In the earlier models, the bulge starts forming well in front of the cockpit, about where the nose cone ends, while the F-4E's cannon bulge actually goes much further back, starting underneath the cockpit.

Now that we know what we're looking for, let's take a look:

Now, compare that to this handy dandy picture (from this site):

There can be no doubt: this is either an F-4B, F-4C, or early F-4D model. It cannot be an RF-4, F-4E (including EJ), F-4J, or F-4G.
Feb 3, 2015 7:37 PM
Oct 2012
ErwinJA said:
There can be no doubt: this is either an F-4B, F-4C, or early F-4D model. It cannot be an RF-4, F-4E (including EJ), F-4J, or F-4G.

Again, god bless you man. You and Okanagan are my official antidepressants when it comes to the future. Waiting for your posts makes me postpone judgement on humanity. No apocalypse today, trumpets have been muted.
Feb 4, 2015 12:46 AM

Oct 2012
Very, very interesting! As well, on the extreme-left extreme-upper corner of
Aoi's computer screen, it said F-4D Phantom II. You can see it at 08:44 in
Episode 16.

So I guess that all of this is logically consistent! Congratulations to Tsutomu
Mizushima for his usual perfect technical accuracy.

I recall something about certain models of the Phantom being produced in Japan,
but I don't know any details. Is it possible that Momijii was flying a Japan-made
Phantom? We already know that Roro was flying a Japanese-made F1.

Presumably, only certain models of the F-4 Phantom would have been made in
Japan.
okanaganFeb 4, 2015 12:51 AM
Feb 4, 2015 5:27 AM

Dec 2007
okanagan said:
I recall something about certain models of the Phantom being produced in Japan,
but I don't know any details. Is it possible that Momijii was flying a Japan-made
Phantom? We already know that Roro was flying a Japanese-made F1.

Presumably, only certain models of the F-4 Phantom would have been made in
Japan.
I've stated this explicitly several times now: this is not a Japanese plane. Japan only produced and used a variant of the F-4E, the F-4EJ and RF-4EJ. All of these have the longer nose and bulge.

The only nations that ever operated short-nosed variants were the US, Iran (F-4D), South Korea (F-4D), and Spain (F-4C).
Feb 4, 2015 9:11 AM

Oct 2012
@ErwinJA: Sorry, I was tired last night and I didn't double-check the earlier
posts on the thread. Indeed, you clarified that point a couple of times.

Note to self: Momijii's plane is not made in Japan.
Feb 5, 2015 7:50 AM

Jan 2015
Actually we were referring to these aircraft, which are in chibi / superdeformed mode.. so the proportions may not match the actual aircraft.

Momijii's aircraft may be an F-4D or it could also be an F-4EJ.. since it is superdeformed we cannot make any conclusions about the nose length. That's why I posted a photo of the superdeformed papercraft models for comparison.
Feb 5, 2015 8:13 AM

Dec 2007
Bontakun65 said:
Actually we were referring to these aircraft, which are in chibi / superdeformed mode.. so the proportions may not match the actual aircraft.

Momijii's aircraft may be an F-4D or it could also be an F-4EJ.. since it is superdeformed we cannot make any conclusions about the nose length. That's why I posted a photo of the superdeformed papercraft models for comparison.
Yeah, I realized I didn't catch that you were referring to the SD one (what I get for being in a hurry). I honestly didn't think about that since it's pointless to speculate on "could be" when it's impossible to determine from the picture, especially when there's no indication of the F-4EJ anywhere else. :P
ErwinJAFeb 5, 2015 8:24 AM
Feb 5, 2015 11:55 AM

Oct 2012
This was at 10:27 in Episode 17. What is this?

In case the above image fails to display, or for higher resolution, please click below:
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/mikiy666-tenco/imgs/c/f/cf68bebb.jpg
okanaganFeb 5, 2015 12:40 PM
Feb 5, 2015 3:12 PM

Jan 2015
okanagan said:

In case the above image fails to display, or for higher resolution, please click below:

That is the Kinoshita Kn-2-Ku Command and Control Aircraft ^_^
Feb 5, 2015 3:32 PM
Oct 2012
Bontakun65 said:
okanagan said:

I thought it was the Musashino An-2-me High Altitude Heavy bomber. It's a variation on your plane, the main difference is the extra payload it can carry, as evident by unique protruding belly of the airplane.
Feb 5, 2015 7:55 PM

Dec 2007
Takuan_Soho said:
Bontakun65 said:

I thought it was the Musashino An-2-me High Altitude Heavy bomber. It's a variation on your plane, the main difference is the extra payload it can carry, as evident by unique protruding belly of the airplane.
I think the wings look slightly off for that one. The fatter wings are a distinct feature of the Musashino RC-3 ELINT (ELectronic INTelligence) aircraft, which stores more fuel in the wings in order to improve range and endurance. It's perfectly understandable not to recognize the difference - ELINT birds are unglamorous and generally little known since their contributions are typically hushed.

Edit:
Having watched the ep, we can now confirm the F-4 as being a USAF F-4D. However, something looks fishy in the PV scene showing it landing: that looks like at least 4 external fuel tanks getting carried. As far as I know, the F-4 could only carry 3 - a 600-gallon tank centerline and 370-gallon tanks on the outboard wing pylons. The inboard ones were "dry," lacking the fittings needed to transfer fuel from a drop tank.

Ep 17: F-35A JSF
ErwinJAFeb 5, 2015 9:56 PM
Feb 5, 2015 9:40 PM
Oct 2012
ErwinJA said:
I think the wings look slightly off for that one. The fatter wings are a distinct feature of the Musashino RC-3 ELINT (ELectronic INTelligence) aircraft, which stores more fuel in the wings in order to improve range and endurance. It's perfectly understandable not to recognize the difference - ELINT birds are unglamorous and generally little known since their contributions are typically hushed.

I hesitate to argue with an expert I have already praised several times, however if we take the wingspan into consideration, it is clear that this is not the Musashino RC-3 ELINT, but the stealth version of the Masashiro an-2-me (anime) high altitude heavy bomber. As evidence I would point to the ultra modern, sleek, ultra-thin swept back wings (which on this airplane are often called arms). The Elint requires a bit more developed wings in order to support the electronic equipment for which it is famous for. This airplane, based upon the photograph provided, is obviously too underdeveloped in the wing department to be able to support such an advanced, and heavy system.
Feb 5, 2015 11:11 PM

Jan 2015
Flight sequence for the aircraft in question.
Feb 6, 2015 3:23 AM

Dec 2007
Takuan_Soho said:
ErwinJA said:

I hesitate to argue with an expert I have already praised several times, however if we take the wingspan into consideration, it is clear that this is not the Musashino RC-3 ELINT, but the stealth version of the Masashiro an-2-me (anime) high altitude heavy bomber. As evidence I would point to the ultra modern, sleek, ultra-thin swept back wings (which on this airplane are often called arms). The Elint requires a bit more developed wings in order to support the electronic equipment for which it is famous for. This airplane, based upon the photograph provided, is obviously too underdeveloped in the wing department to be able to support such an advanced, and heavy system.
I think you have the wrong type of ELINT aircraft. All the RC-3 needs are some computers and additional antennae, which are also clearly visible underneath the "chin" and a bit above the "nose." It's the RC-3D that has a heavy payload.

On a side note, shouldn't it be the An-1-Me? Fits better (AN1ME), and loses the possibility of confusion with an ancient Soviet transport aircraft used by North Korean airborne forces :P
Feb 12, 2015 12:49 PM

Dec 2007
Ep 18:

B-1B Lancer

Mizushima's tweets (meant to address these):

Mirage F1

F-5 Freedom Fighter/Tiger II

MiG-25 "Foxbat"
ErwinJAMar 2, 2015 3:10 AM
Feb 12, 2015 9:51 PM

Oct 2012
I'm not sure why you describe the XB-70 Valkyrie as "failed". Also, you say
that there would have been no missile effective against it until the early 1970s.
However, on June 8th, 1966, it was demonstrated that the XB-70 could be
downed simply by smashing an F-104 Starfighter into it. This was learned in
an accident where four other military aircraft were flying in tight formation
with a prototype XB-70 in an attempt at taking a nice memento photograph.
Rather than calling the XB-70 "failed", maybe "forgotten" is a better word.
Even though 1960s infrared-guided and radar-guided missiles could not have
downed the Valkyrie, maybe F-104s would present some kind of hazard.

In any case, thanks for the awesome info!!!

- - - - - - - - - -

I just checked Tsutomu Mizushima's personal Twitter account. He has not
tweeted anything weapon-related or aircraft-related since that tweet that
I mentioned a long time ago. However, he did send out a tweet twenty
hours ago where he wondered out loud about the blood type of that newbie
voice actress.
okanaganFeb 12, 2015 9:54 PM
Feb 13, 2015 3:34 PM

Dec 2007
okanagan said:
I'm not sure why you describe the XB-70 Valkyrie as "failed". Also, you say
that there would have been no missile effective against it until the early 1970s.
However, on June 8th, 1966, it was demonstrated that the XB-70 could be
downed simply by smashing an F-104 Starfighter into it. This was learned in
an accident where four other military aircraft were flying in tight formation
with a prototype XB-70 in an attempt at taking a nice memento photograph.
Rather than calling the XB-70 "failed", maybe "forgotten" is a better word.
Even though 1960s infrared-guided and radar-guided missiles could not have
downed the Valkyrie, maybe F-104s would present some kind of hazard.

In any case, thanks for the awesome info!!!

- - - - - - - - - -

I just checked Tsutomu Mizushima's personal Twitter account. He has not
tweeted anything weapon-related or aircraft-related since that tweet that
I mentioned a long time ago. However, he did send out a tweet twenty
hours ago where he wondered out loud about the blood type of that newbie
voice actress.
The program was a failure. Its goal was to create a bomber that could reliably deliver nuclear bombs to strategic targets in the Soviet Union. The resulting plane could not. Yes, the escorting F-104 getting sucked into the wingtip and taking both planes down had a significant impact on the program, but the truth was that planes, like other weapons, are not designed based only on current threats, but potential future ones as well. While it was not until the early '70s that improved S-200 (NATO: SA-5 "Gammon") missiles came out, the XB-70 was not ready for service yet in 1966 either. The S-200 (SA-5A) entered service in 1967, and the XB-70 could only just barely fly over its engagement envelope. The S-200V came out in 1970, and could, in theory, engage the XB-70 easily. At that point, the XB-70 became obsolescent.

In truth, high-altitude penetration was already being replaced by low-altitude starting in the early '60s. The Soviet Union proved it could shoot down previously uninterceptable high altitude aircraft like the U-2 in 1960, and had long-range, high-altitude SAMs by 1970. However, it's first look-down/shoot-down radar did not appear until 1972, and it was not until the 1980s that truly effective ones came out. It was also not until 1984 that the Soviet Union deployed an effective AEW aircraft.

Overall, the XB-70 program was indeed a failure. It was a failure because, by the time they had a plane flying, it was already becoming clear that the requirements it had been designed to fill were no longer valid. There were a number of other issues, such as the fuel situation, but the main problem was simply it was built to an obsolete standard. Even the SR-71 rarely flew over areas protected by S-200s, and they had a lot more leeway in going around things than a bomber would.

By comparison, the decision to shelve the B-1A was also due to its design no longer reflecting the threats it would face. Even then, the final choice to cancel the program came because it was projected that the B-52H with AGM-86 ALCMs should to be sufficient to the task until 1985, when the USSR would be getting better long-range look-down radars, and the USAF would get its next-generation bomber. Even when they did that, it was specifically considered a low-cost interim solution while they waited for the B-2. Modifying the B-52 was cheaper than building new planes, and the B-2 would provide a quantum leap in capability, or so they thought. Thus, the B-1 program suffered a similar fate to the XB-70 for much the same reason, and was only reinstated because the B-2 program ended up getting delayed by 12 years (and cut from 132 to 75 and then 20).
Ironically, of course, the original design that was dumbed down for cost-cutting reasons would have been superior to the final B-1B.

The real reason the B-1B saw service, while the XB-70 didn't, was that the use of ALCMs meant it didn't have to go into the teeth of enemy defenses, and thus, just being faster and with a significantly lower RCS than the B-52 gave it just (barely) enough survivability to do the nuclear strike job. Even then, it was an emergency stop-gap measure, not intended to be the future mainstay that it almost became.
ErwinJAFeb 18, 2015 5:16 AM
Feb 26, 2015 2:17 PM

Dec 2007
Episode 20:

Dead Sea Spa:

Fighter Generations (Not directly addressed in the series, but relevant):
ErwinJAFeb 27, 2015 6:02 PM
Feb 27, 2015 10:21 PM

Nov 2010
I simply would like to drop by and say that this thread is brilliant. While I still can't even identify different aircrafts (especially jet), some general informations and explanations of technical jargons are much appreciated. Moreover, discussion about that aircraft in ep. 17 is magnificently awesome that my sides was slightly displaced for a while.

Anyway, I find that identifying aircrafts is simply much harder than identifying its ground counterpart, tanks. While tanks usually have some very distinctive physical features (especially pre-MBT), I find that for planes I have to rely on more subtle, hard to notice details. Do you have some good method/works to read/play/watch as an introduction for airplane world? While I don't intend to become some expert or avid fans (not really into airplanes from the very beginning), I also would like to learn something new and that also would be beneficial if I'm working on some military theme in the future.
Feb 28, 2015 9:42 AM
Mar 2014
Somewhat irrelevant, but anyone interested in Shirobako and aircraft may find this video amusing.
Mar 1, 2015 11:21 PM

Dec 2007
zeroyuki92 said:
I simply would like to drop by and say that this thread is brilliant. While I still can't even identify different aircrafts (especially jet), some general informations and explanations of technical jargons are much appreciated. Moreover, discussion about that aircraft in ep. 17 is magnificently awesome that my sides was slightly displaced for a while.

Anyway, I find that identifying aircrafts is simply much harder than identifying its ground counterpart, tanks. While tanks usually have some very distinctive physical features (especially pre-MBT), I find that for planes I have to rely on more subtle, hard to notice details. Do you have some good method/works to read/play/watch as an introduction for airplane world? While I don't intend to become some expert or avid fans (not really into airplanes from the very beginning), I also would like to learn something new and that also would be beneficial if I'm working on some military theme in the future.
It's very much an aspect of familiarity. The more you look at them, the more you start to notice the differences. Museums can be great here (I went to both Wright-Patterson AFB and the National Aerospace Museum several times each).
Tanks aren't necessarily easy either. While it's not too hard to tell the difference between a Challenger 2 and a T-90, you still have to know what you're looking for to differentiate between a T-72 and a T-80, for example. And yes, I identify AFVs too ;-)

As you suggest, you can make a bit of a checklist yourself. There are a few things that can really narrow things down:

1) Planform. This is the term for the general shape of the fuselage and wings, with the wing configuration being the most obvious. Wings come in three main categories: straight, swept, and delta, with configuration including where they're mounted in relation to the fuselage (high, low, mid) as well as how they're integrated. There are also a few oddball shapes, like trapezoidal (only used by the US), which also limit number of possible planes.
The most common configuration on modern aircraft are cropped tailed delta and basic tailed delta. For modern (3rd generation or later) combat aircraft, any other form reduces it to only a handful of options.

2) Engines. Aside from the patently obvious number of engines, their relative size and placement is worth noting. But even more important are the intakes. The size, shape, and location of the intakes can be a major giveaway. For example, I identified the Kfir from other Mirage III versions due to the small extra intake at the base of the vertical stabilizer (aka tail or dorsal fin). On the other hand, the F-16 has a rounded one that looks like a squashed circle on the underside behind the cockpit - unique enough that only its Mitsubishi F-2 derivative really copies it. The odd-looking nose intake on the MiG-21 is similarly distinct. The F-15 has boxy ones that slant down and back, and are situated almost right next to the cockpit. The MiG-29 and Su-27 have similar shaped intakes, but underneath the plane and mounted further back. And so on.

95% of identification will come from those basic things. It's only when things get more specific, like identifying an F-35A from an F-35B (check the structure on the top, behind the cockpit), that you really have to delve into the minutiae. There, not unlike with tanks, you look for things like bulges, relative length of components, and other things.

At the early stages, it helps to bring up an image gallery and start just comparing. That's actually what I did here - I used my basic knowledge to narrow it down and just cycled through the possibilities while checking clearly unique characteristics.
ErwinJAMar 2, 2015 2:59 AM
Mar 6, 2015 12:03 PM

Oct 2012
What is that aircraft that we see at the very start of Third Aerial Girls Squad,
Episode 1? It is visible from 11:48 to 11:51 in Episode 21. It has United States
markings. It seems to be multi-engined, perhaps turboprop. We are seeing it
close-up from behind the right wing. I checked Mizushima's Twitter, and so far
he hasn't said anything about it. The two "exhaust ports" on the back of the
"engine nacelle" look very distinctive. At first, I was thinking about the Lockheed
C-130 Hercules, but that's not it.
okanaganMar 27, 2015 7:40 AM
Mar 6, 2015 12:17 PM

Nov 2010
Thank you very much for the reply. I'm actually not from a country with significant military history (Only traditional guirella warfare at pre/shortly post independence, and some minor border conflicts/small scale aggresions), so military museum is out from the option. Occasional military parade is the best alternative available I think.

In fact, most of my small knowledge of military knowledge and vehicle identifications stem from reading history books/article/wiki, since my country didn't even put worldwide history in the school curriculum, including WW1/2. Thus, my knowledge of tanks/aircrafts (which was nil before college) rely on my later reading of their past roles in war, since their characteristics and features were heavily influenced by mindset, situation and performance in actual battle. Modern vehicles, on the other side, in my current mindset is much harder to relate since they actual presence in actual conflict is much more limited.

That said, studying various planforms is indeed the best place to start learning, currently reading wiki and other sources about them. Again, thank you very much for the help.
Mar 27, 2015 6:40 AM

Dec 2007
okanagan said:
What is that aircraft that we see at the very start of Third Aerial Girls Squad,
Episode 1? It is visible from 11:48 to 11:51 in Episode 21. It has United States
markings. It seems to be multi-engined, perhaps turboprop. We are seeing it
close-up from behind the right wing. I checked Mizushima's Twitter, and so far
he hasn't said anything about it. The two "exhaust ports" on the back of the
"engine nacelle" look very distinctive. At first, I was think about the Lockheed
C-130 Hercules, but that's not it.
Sorry for the delay here - I didn't notice someone had posted :P
The reason I didn't do much with that is that it's a piss-poor angle for identification. However, if you look closely, you can see a rather distinct tail with multiple vertical stabilizers. The tail form, while somewhat iconic, is actually very rare. In the US, you can count the number of planes that have ever had that on your fingers, with a few left over. 2 of them are from WWII (B-24 Liberator and B-25 Mitchell). 1 is a jet (A-10 Thunderbolt II). The C-121 Constellation, military version of the Lockheed Constellation airliner, is a bit old compared to the other planes. It was removed in the very early '70s, before many of the fighters even saw service! The E-1 Tracer, the US Navy's first carrier-based airborne early warning (AEW) aircraft also got retired too early. That leaves two planes: the E-2 Hawkeye and its C-2 Greyhound derivative. These replaced the E-1 and its C-1 counterpart (which had a normal tail configuration) in the 1960s. A check of the engines, whose design is also rather distinct, confirms that it's one of these.

Differentiating between the two is harder. But, in the upper left, an angled structure is visible. It's nearly impossible to distinguish whether its the tail or coming from the upper fuselage, but it doesn't matter - the C-2's tail is almost perfectly flat, with stabilizers therefore being almost perfectly vertical, so you wouldn't see anything angled like that. On the E-2, however, the tail is angled slightly, and there are of course the struts for holding the radar. We therefore have this identified conclusively as an E-2 Hawkeye, though it's impossible to discern the specific variant based on the picture - that requires a good look at the tail, preferably from a side view.

MiG-21S
ErwinJAMar 27, 2015 9:16 AM
Mar 27, 2015 7:31 AM

Oct 2012
Thank you. In fact, the E-2A Hawkeye was one of the ten aircraft listed on
somebody's computer screen at some point earlier in the series. Sorry, but I
don't know which episode it was. My assumption is that the list was for those
aircraft for which 3D models had been created.

1. MiG-23ML Flogger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-23
2. Kfir C2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAI_Kfir
3. JA-37 Yakuto Viggen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_37_Viggen
4. F-4D Phantom II
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-4_Phantom_II
5. Mitsubishi F-1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_F-1
6. E-2A Hawkeye
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Grumman_E-2_Hawkeye
7. MC-130E Combat Talon I
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_MC-130
8. F-22 Raptor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-22_Raptor
9. F-35A Lightning
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-35_Lightning_II
10. B-1B Lancer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwell_B-1_Lancer

I have no idea what difference the "A" in "E-2A Hawkeye" signifies. In any case,
it is about the weirdest-looking airplane that I can imagine, and the design of its
tail is absolutely astounding. I can only guess at what design considerations led
them to do it that way.
okanaganMar 27, 2015 7:38 AM
Mar 27, 2015 9:35 AM

Dec 2007
okanagan said:
Thank you. In fact, the E-2A Hawkeye was one of the ten aircraft listed on
somebody's computer screen at some point earlier in the series. Sorry, but I
don't know which episode it was. My assumption is that the list was for those
aircraft for which 3D models had been created.

1. MiG-23ML Flogger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-23
2. Kfir C2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAI_Kfir
3. JA-37 Yakuto Viggen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_37_Viggen
4. F-4D Phantom II
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-4_Phantom_II
5. Mitsubishi F-1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_F-1
6. E-2A Hawkeye
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Grumman_E-2_Hawkeye
7. MC-130E Combat Talon I
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_MC-130
8. F-22 Raptor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-22_Raptor
9. F-35A Lightning
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-35_Lightning_II
10. B-1B Lancer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwell_B-1_Lancer

I have no idea what difference the "A" in "E-2A Hawkeye" signifies. In any case,
it is about the weirdest-looking airplane that I can imagine, and the design of its
tail is absolutely astounding. I can only guess at what design considerations led
them to do it that way.
NP.

As for the "A" - in US service, it merely identifies which major variant it is. The "A" suffix is added to the first variant, the "B" suffix to the second, "C" to the third, and so on. A few letters (like "I") are skipped due to easy confusion, but this generally holds for almost all post-1960 aircraft and missiles. If two variants enter production at the same time, the more numerically important one is usually given precedence. Thus, for most US fighters, the first single-seat version is designated "A," the first 2-seat version "B," the second single-seater is "C," and so forth. Note that to get a new letter, the plane must have significant changes. There's often a complementary "Block" system that encompasses more minor ones. It's not always consistent though. The F-16, for example, has Blocks 1, 5, 10, 15, and 20 all being F-16A/B. Blocks 25, 30/32 (identifying different engine options), 40/42, and 50/52 are F-16C/D. And Block 60 is the F-16E/F currently being offered. On the other hand, the E-2's blocks only differentiate between versions of the E-2C.

This does clash with the systems in some other nations, like Russia, where the letters are abbreviations for something describing the plane's role or features. The US doesn't do that beyond the R/B/F/C/etc designator.

The E-2A is thus the original version that entered service in 1964. The E-2B was primarily an electronics upgrade applied to E-2As starting in 1969, fixing reliability problems. The E-2C Block 0 entered service in 1973, with the current Block II in 1992. The E-2C Block II has been the standard for the past 15 years, and the E-2D (which is a huge leap forward) just entered service last year. The E-2B, while mainly an electronics upgrade, has larger vertical stabilizers on the tail. And the E-2C has a different nose. So they can still be distinguished visually if you get a good look.
ErwinJAMar 27, 2015 9:54 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2014

96 by james_lima »»
Aug 31, 2:58 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

289 by Muow »»
Aug 19, 7:14 AM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2014

112 by Muow »»
Aug 15, 10:01 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2014

111 by Muow »»
Aug 15, 8:48 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 29, 2015

157 by ANIk_003 »»
Jul 12, 12:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.