Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 29, 2014 2:28 AM
Jul 2018
So, sometimes when I'm bored, I like to read reviews and the like. When I look at the general consensus on say, Swort Art, or NGNL, something that frequently pops up is "Kirito/Sora is so OP it makes the show unwatchable!"

My question is why? I'm not trying to be a smartass, or say you're wrong, but why do you hate "perfect" characters? The fact that SAO and NGNL are so popular means that it must not bother everyone, right?

I mean, yeah, it relieves some tension in the conflict, I understand but I still think it's a blast to watch, personally. No one complains about a Gary Stu in video games? Particularly the Persona franchise... Or... well, any game with romance options, really. Mass Effect, Dragon Age... No one really complains about the harem of player-sexual women in those cases.

So why's anime different?

And if it doesn't bother you, like me, why not? I suppose it takes quite a bit to turn me off of any series, tbh. I just watch for the fun of it, and it's very rare that I don't find a show fun.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 29, 2014 3:02 AM
Jul 2014
YumeKagami said:
It's not necessarily hate but as you mentioned when a character is over-powered it does reduce the tension of a grave injury (if the character even gets injured at all)
Pretty much this. Otherwise, I don't really care if the characters are OP or not unless it turns the story to shit. It's also fun to watch cocky characters get decimated because they underestimated the OP character.
I'M GONE NOW
Aug 29, 2014 3:03 AM
Jul 2018
I don't hate them at all. <3
Aug 29, 2014 3:05 AM
Jul 2018
Well is tension always necessary? I mean, I enjoy Light Yagami freaking out as much as the next guy, but I also got quite a rush watching Sora use BS shut-in logic to win over his troops in chess.

It was funny, and entertaining, but completely void of tension.
Aug 29, 2014 3:06 AM

Jul 2014
I like my good guys to be mortal and flawed, make mistakes, get in trouble, get hurt, be in situations that they absolutely cannot escape from unscathed etc.

The answer (at least for me) is relatively simple -- Rarely can a character be portrayed as being unbeatable and still be interesting. Good characters are good because you can empathize with them. You share fear and failure with them.

Just look at some of the most critically acclaimed fiction; The greatest characters aren't the ones who can do everything correctly, never make a mistake, and are far better than anyone else. They are those characters who, while powerful in their own ways, are vulnerable and even weak at times.
Aug 29, 2014 3:13 AM
Jul 2018
I like those characters too, don't get me wrong, but I still very much enjoy a character who's OP as well. I mean, is it not fun for you at all?
Aug 29, 2014 3:14 AM

May 2013
Mashiro-Yuki said:
No one complains about a Gary Stu in video games? Particularly the Persona franchise... Or... well, any game with romance options, really. Mass Effect, Dragon Age... No one really complains about the harem of player-sexual women in those cases.

Because video game players are generally autists with no semblance of taste.
They are even lower on the hierarchy than anime watchers.
Aug 29, 2014 3:16 AM

Oct 2012
I like them if they know how to use Hokuto Hyakuretsu Ken.
Aug 29, 2014 3:20 AM
Jul 2018
Simon the Digger. <3
Aug 29, 2014 3:24 AM

Jun 2013
I like characters with flaws moreso. Like in Berserk sure Guts is the most powerful person in his ragtag group but he has so many damn flaws which makes him more human and interesting.

The worst example of an OP character is Kira Yamato who always seems to be right despite not having a good retort to an enemy's questions. Hell he even survives shit that should've killed him.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 29, 2014 3:25 AM

Jul 2014
Mashiro-Yuki said:
I like those characters too, don't get me wrong, but I still very much enjoy a character who's OP as well. I mean, is it not fun for you at all?

OP characters can be enjoyable for some momentary wish fulfillment, I'll grant you that. I just don't find them satisfactory elements for good fiction.
Aug 29, 2014 3:25 AM

Jan 2013
They become arrogant and corrupted. Not all though. That's the reason why I hate them
Aug 29, 2014 3:28 AM

Apr 2009
Because it is boring as it (you said it yourself) removes tension and is - when played straight - really pathetic to watch because you know most of the time the author is just too incompetent to write a character with actual flaws and/or just wants to fuel escapism of the cheapeast kind.
If you want to write Gary Stus, at least make them fun. Dark Schneider's and Bastard!!'s attitude is what seperates his Gary Stu personality from the ones like Sora, Kirito or Tatsuya. Not that the more stoic Stus like Jotaro, Inaho or Kira are a lot better... but they are at least less obnoxious and a bit less obvious.

Mashiro-Yuki said:

I mean, yeah, it relieves some tension in the conflict, I understand but I still think it's a blast to watch, personally. No one complains about a Gary Stu in video games? Particularly the Persona franchise... Or... well, any game with romance options, really. Mass Effect, Dragon Age... No one really complains about the harem of player-sexual women in those cases.

Lol, tons of people criticize Persona, ME and DA for exact these reasons.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Aug 29, 2014 3:31 AM
Jul 2018
I don't entirely understand the wish fulfilment thing, tbh. I just like to see a nice battle sometimes, without having to think about why it's important, or things like that.

I mean, I love Metal Gear, and I even understand it pretty well, but sometimes I don't want to HAVE to.

Sometimes I just wanna watch some smug villain get stabbed in the face and call it a day, lol.
Aug 29, 2014 3:33 AM

Apr 2009
But that's the thing. A stomp is NOT a battle. It's boring because it is just a lazy oneshot most of the time. No tension, most of the time not even a real battle because characters like tatsuya win the fight in an instant.

That's not fun unless you are (mentally) 14 and get a hardon when you imagine how a perverted and warped sense of (self-)justice is delivered and how you wish you can be in the Stu's place instead.
Aug 29, 2014 3:33 AM

Jul 2014
Mashiro-Yuki said:
I don't entirely understand the wish fulfilment thing, tbh. I just like to see a nice battle sometimes, without having to think about why it's important, or things like that.

I mean, I love Metal Gear, and I even understand it pretty well, but sometimes I don't want to HAVE to.

Sometimes I just wanna watch some smug villain get stabbed in the face and call it a day, lol.

I understand where you're coming from :)
Sometimes it's nice just to be able to shut off your brain and enjoy something.
Aug 29, 2014 3:35 AM

Jul 2014
Nidhoeggr said:
But that's the thing. A stomp is NOT a battle. It's boring because it is just a lazy oneshot most of the time. No tension, most of the time not even a real battle because characters like tatsuya win the fight in an instant.

That's not fun unless you are (mentally) 14 and get a hardon when you imagine how a perverted and warped sense of (self-)justice is delivered and how you wish you can be in the Stu's place instead.

#onetruetatsuya

[spoiler][spoiler]
Aug 29, 2014 3:36 AM

Jul 2013
You see, "perfect" characters are badass and cool and stuff and seeing them do things they're good at gives you the adrenaline or something however they can be boring. Fights will be dull and whenever they encounter a new enemy you'd automatically assume that they will win because they're "perfect".
Aug 29, 2014 3:37 AM
Jul 2018
And lol, I don't recall people complaining about that in Bioware games at all. I've seen people complain about who's gay, who's straight, who should be romanceable, etc... I've seen people ask that romances be taken out of the game entirely.

But in my 5 years on the Bioware forums I can't recall ever seeing someone say "Ugh, I'm sick of everyone loving Shepard/Hawke/The Warden. He's too Gary Stu!"
Aug 29, 2014 3:40 AM

Apr 2009
Strange, because most people I know irl vastly prefer the phase where you build the character to the phase where you are overpowered as hell. Acooriding to them - and me - it gets really boring when you can do anything with almost no difficulty.
Then again, most new Bioware games are more about pandering to people who think of them as a relationship simulator than to people who prefer good RPGs. Play some good games like Planescape Torment or Baldur's Gate instead.
NidhoeggrAug 29, 2014 3:43 AM
Aug 29, 2014 3:41 AM

Jul 2014
Mashiro-Yuki said:
And lol, I don't recall people complaining about that in Bioware games at all. I've seen people complain about who's gay, who's straight, who should be romanceable, etc... I've seen people ask that romances be taken out of the game entirely.

But in my 5 years on the Bioware forums I can't recall ever seeing someone say "Ugh, I'm sick of everyone loving Shepard/Hawke/The Warden. He's too Gary Stu!"

I've always been of the opinion that FemShep is considerably more interesting due to Jennifer Hale's quirky acting.

ManShep gives off a very militaristic and bland vibe in contrast. Not to mention the infamous 'dialogue wheel misinterpretation effect' that seems to affect him to a greater degree.
Aug 29, 2014 3:45 AM

Dec 2011
There are various different forms of entertainment that one can get out of a series, and out of a battle within a series, and different people prefer different ones.

With an OP character you will hardly ever get the sort of nervous-excited on-the-edge-of-your-seat are-they-going-to-win-or-not type of entertainment, so people for whom this is by far their favourite form of entertainment are inevitably going to complain loudly about this type of character, wherever they appear.

That's pretty much all there is to it, really.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Aug 29, 2014 3:46 AM
Jul 2018
I actually don't like Hale in ME. JUST ME, for some reason. She feels so overwhelmingly serious all the time. Meer just makes me laugh, lol.

@Nidhoeggr
Why do I feel like you're trying to make me cry whenever you reply to me bro? ;:o
Aug 29, 2014 3:48 AM

Jul 2014
Mashiro-Yuki said:
I actually don't like Hale in ME. JUST ME, for some reason. She feels so overwhelmingly serious all the time. Meer just makes me laugh, lol.

Filthy heretic. Hale is our saviour.

Meer sounds like a disabled war veteran, possibly a drill sergeant.
I know I shouldn't laugh but I still do.
Aug 29, 2014 3:51 AM

May 2013
Are OP characters are illogical? I mean there no perfect person but they are defined as "perfect" and "Gary Stu" or whatsoever.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Aug 29, 2014 3:53 AM
Jul 2018
I dunno man, Hale is crazy good in other games, but she's such a turn-off in ME. Especially since every FemShep ends up looking 20 years younger than she sounds.
Aug 29, 2014 3:53 AM

Jul 2014
OP Characters are my favorites.
Aug 29, 2014 3:55 AM

Jul 2014
Nikoka said:
Aerodust said:

#onetruetatsuya

http://puu.sh/bczLD/4840e88e14.webm

I haven't seen that edited version before. Absolutely amazing.
May our harems forever be expansive as Tatsuyas. Praise be.
Aug 29, 2014 4:00 AM

Apr 2012
I only hate them if they're shallowly written. In other words: Naruto, Ichigo, etc.
Aug 29, 2014 4:01 AM

Dec 2011
To all: remember there is a big difference between an OP character and a Gary Stu type character, although it is perfectly possible for a character to be both. An OP character is simply one who is considerably more... well... powerful than the other characters they come into conflict with - bear in mind that this is a completely relative thing. Whereas 'Gary Stu'/'Mary Sue' carries all sorts of other implications and indeed may not be OP at all.

For example, it is perfectly in line with a Gary Stu/Mary Sue type character to lose a fight, get taken hostage, and then win his/her kidnappers over to his/her cause through charm/sweet-talk etc.. A character who is simply OP would most likely not be able to do this - but they wouldn't lose the fight in the first place.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Aug 29, 2014 4:05 AM

Dec 2012
Some people don't know what they want. Even when you throw down characters with flaws, those same people who are buzzing over Gary Stus and Mary Self-inserts will mistake the imperfections/shortcomings of that character for bad writing or mediocre characterization.

I honestly don't mind the ones like Kirito. He may be guaranteed success in all that he does, but he has internal struggles and isn't just laughing with total confidence at each and every thing that he does. The most recent episodes in SAO II are a testament to this. I notice that in many cases, people just get mad at OP characters like Kirito because they associate it with wish fulfillment.
Aug 29, 2014 4:07 AM

Jul 2014
kuuderes_shadow said:
To all: remember there is a big difference between an OP character and a Gary Stu type character, although it is perfectly possible for a character to be both. An OP character is simply one who is considerably more... well... powerful than the other characters they come into conflict with - bear in mind that this is a completely relative thing. Whereas 'Gary Stu'/'Mary Sue' carries all sorts of other implications and indeed may not be OP at all.

For example, it is perfectly in line with a Gary Stu/Mary Sue type character to lose a fight, get taken hostage, and then win his/her kidnappers over to his/her cause through charm/sweet-talk etc.. A character who is simply OP would most likely not be able to do this - but they wouldn't lose the fight in the first place.

I agree with these points. It's important to differentiate between an OP and Sue character. Somewhat unrelated: I think to an extent the "Sue" phenomenon is a label that people throw around too freely. I think a character is certainly capable of being unrealistic and boring, yet people seem to use "Sue" to describe ANY character whose power isn't immediately curtailed by devastating emotional or psychological problems. In this respect, it's somewhat limiting.
Aug 29, 2014 4:08 AM

Mar 2012
Because they are boring or make less sense to me and they get most of screen time. A Korean manga or manhwa does better job with http://myanimelist.net/character/48967/Cadis_Etrama_di_Raizel
Aug 29, 2014 4:09 AM
Jul 2018
Probably shouldn't have over generalized the two terms... My bad.

And I also agree with you too Connor Kenway.
Aug 29, 2014 4:12 AM

Oct 2010
I kind of believe that it's more difficult to write an overpowered/godly character that truly resonates with the viewer than a flawed character. I always favor the second ones, for instance.
Aug 29, 2014 4:19 AM

Jul 2011
Personally, I can easily empathize with OP characters than an useless or wimp one ... Seriously, It piss me off to wait 300 episodes in order to beat the villain.

But, the major problem with the OP characters are their personality development, usually they're so perfect that they don't even make a mistake or fail. And without failure we can't hope any progression.

In my opinion, the best option we can have is OP characters but who can make mistake, take bad decision and fail or even be defeated, but in this case because of other factors than power or intellect.

Watching an OP MC wondering why he got defeated even if his opponent was weaker or not smarter than him and then found that's because of a bad decision, misleading information or something like that will be very refreshing.
ZyrkarionAug 29, 2014 4:24 AM
Aug 29, 2014 4:21 AM

Nov 2013
I don't personally care about Gary Stu's but I guess people don't like to know the outcome, they want to be on edge while watching it, for the best experience. That's just my opinion though.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Aug 29, 2014 4:22 AM

Nov 2013
Zyrkarion said:
Personally, I can easily empathize with OP characters than an useless or wimp one ... Seriously, It piss me off to wait 300 episodes in order to beat the villain.

examples of this?
apart from DBZ, ofc.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Aug 29, 2014 4:58 AM

Nov 2012
because its B O R I N G
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Aug 29, 2014 5:49 AM

Feb 2010
I don't hate OP characters. Look at Yang from LoGH or Mikoto from Railgun.
Aug 29, 2014 6:33 AM
Jul 2013
what does op mean
Aug 29, 2014 7:01 AM
Jul 2014
Sung-Hwan said:
what does op mean
Abbreviation of overpowered.
I'M GONE NOW
Aug 29, 2014 7:09 AM

Aug 2014
AnarchicSloth said:
Sung-Hwan said:
what does op mean
Abbreviation of overpowered.

I though it meant One Piece lol. :3
Aug 29, 2014 8:13 AM

Mar 2012
I dislike Tatsuya from Mahouka because he's quite literally the most dull character I've ever come across.

Other than that I don't think there's any OP characters I dislike. If an anime reviewer directs most of their criticisms for a show towards how overpowered one character is it's usually because they're too lazy/stupid to come up with any reasonable criticism.
Aug 29, 2014 8:20 AM

Jan 2014
i like them if they are a fun character.
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Aug 29, 2014 8:21 AM

Jan 2011
they are boring for the most part an their fights lack any sense of danger or excitement

Akito_Kinomoto said:
I don't hate OP characters. Look at Yang from LoGH or Mikoto from Railgun.

in the end Yang wasnt OP
Aug 29, 2014 8:45 AM

Aug 2014
Because OP characters remind me of Kirito.
Aug 29, 2014 8:51 AM

Dec 2012
All purpose self-inserted failures at L2 2D shooter game = lack of common sense and distorted achievement perception => capital offense to gamers www.

a

Yagami is a pure-bred psychopath and, albeit being also a magical shounen, he doesn't belong to this category.

On a second thought, who'd want to hate them. Hate is reserved for creative purposes only.
Aug 29, 2014 9:20 AM

Jan 2014
ninjastarforcex said:
because its B O R I N G
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Aug 29, 2014 9:28 AM

Apr 2012
better an OP character than an pussy character who is crying in 10 from 12 episode or is completly useless... Thats why i always and always will hate Mirai Nikki :p

but i like MC's who have the best from both. Neither OP nor pussy. Strong but human ...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What Anime is boring to you

Kirika_Madeleine - Today

36 by deltahalo241 »»
48 seconds ago

» Do you dislike low-resolution anime shows? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Sep 22

91 by zombie_pegasus »»
7 minutes ago

» Which series should be watched by every anime enthusiast? ( 1 2 )

Rally- - Yesterday

66 by Quadruple_Oi »»
11 minutes ago

» Does anybody else not read manga because they don't know Japanese?

ForgotEyeWasHere - 12 hours ago

47 by Anjuro »»
17 minutes ago

» Do you think secondary rival is more interesting than main rival?

m_alhafidz - Sep 20

10 by Sheol01 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.