Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 15, 2015 6:06 PM

Jul 2013
Hehehee, thanks.
Lolita is definetely something that won't be rivaled for me...
As a matter of fact, I have been avoiding 1984, that one has a chance of coming close to it.

I read the names of Camus and Murakami in previous comments.
The Stranger is a personal favorite of mine, amazing and I can't wait to read Norweigan Wood by Murakami.

And I'm like Jodyqt. I could use some up-to date reccs of literature.
Jul 16, 2015 2:02 PM

Mar 2009
I read a lot of modern Japanese literature, so I can make recommendations.
Beyond that, I read a lot of Hard Boiled/Detective Fiction.

My favorite books are probably 1984, A Clockwork Orange, aaaand maybe Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

I also really like The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler), All She Was Worth/Kasha (Miyuki Miyabe), and some random H.P. Lovecraft short stories.
Jul 25, 2015 8:37 AM
Oct 2011
Speaking of japanese literature, did anyone here read Silence by Shuusaki Endou and felt like the author was trolling in a religious way at the end? Or does he just have awful writing skills? Or is it a translation problem? It's sad because the book was so good from its beginning until the last 2 chapters.

1984 was really good. Fahrenheit 451 is probably my favorite book however.

Also did anyone read Three Days Road or Romance of the Three Kingdoms? I'm planning to start one of the first and want some opinions.
Candor123Jul 25, 2015 8:48 AM
Aug 13, 2015 9:54 AM

May 2013
I'd like to recommend the Anne of Green Gables books, especially if you like the anime. Montgomery is a genius at writing slice of life, especially the comedic parts. I learned a lot on how conservative the western world could be a century ago, like how they took the sabbath at Sunday really seriously. It's quite fascinating. And the last book, Rilla of Ingleside, is a wonderful combination of classic Montgomery comedy hijinks intertwined with the ongoing events of World War 1. Marvel at how Canadians respond to the ongoing of the war, how they used to be really patriotic towards their British kin. I learned the derogatory term "Huns" for Germans from here.

And while I am at it, I'll recommend Emily of New Moon too from the same author. This one is more darker, since it's a struggle of the titular protagonist to become a writer. Sure, it has its funny scenes too but the overall mood is heavier. It can also be read as a feminist literature, and a good one, since she has to struggle to prove herself to her family who doesn't want her to be a writer. Compared to Anne, Emily is somewhat fiercer. I can easily imagine her becoming a bitter, jaded person if some events on her life were to change.

There's also The Story Girl, where the main charm is the rivalry between the titular girl and her cousin. Both have somewhat sharp tongues. The Story Girl like to think her cousin as stupid, while the cousin thinks of her as uncouth. The cousin is the perfect housekeeper, while the Story Girl can't cook. The Story Girl is a natural poet, while the cousin thinks it's all nonsense. In any other books, the cousin would be set up as the villain, but in this, she's the perfect foil to the Story Girl in providing comedy. It's really a shame this never gets an anime adaptation.

Kellhus said:
Any Russian lit fans?

I'm reading that prison book by that Dostrofky (can't spell it) guy. It's pretty damn good.

Also, I saw a trope of innocent pure children being used there. That trope really was quite popular in that era, I suppose. Dickens and Hector Malot (author of Ie Naki Ko Remi and Perrine Monogatari) also used it.

The trope is pretty dead nowadays though, what with people wanting children with more "spunk" in them.
UgokiAug 13, 2015 9:59 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

32 by Ducat_Revel »»
Jul 17, 5:02 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.