Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Aug 5 - 11

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Aug 17, 2013 6:27 AM

Sep 2012
^ I don't think it will be referred to anything like "second season disc 3". I believe it will just get named according to its separate arc. For Nise, it is one LN (of two volumes) so all the 5 discs form a series. In 2nd season, there are 6 LN volumes each with different title, so each arc forms a series in itself.

Personally I wonder if those recap specials will somehow be released in discs as well since they seem to be numbered as well....
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Aug 17, 2013 7:15 AM

Sep 2012
^^ There is room on disc 2 of Neko Shiro for episode 6 and on disc 2 of Kabuki for a summary episode. Or a couple of discs of recap episodes separately???

In fact I'm shocked that Kabuki is only getting 4 episodes when it is a longer book than Neko Shiro. I expected 6 episodes, not 4! Makes me wonder if there are 26 episodes including recaps which would mean 11 episodes for Shiro and Kabuki, just 15 left for 3 more books, 3 arcs of 4 episodes plus a recap??? Guess time will tell...
Aug 17, 2013 7:23 AM

Sep 2012
hpulley said:
In fact I'm shocked that Kabuki is only getting 4 episodes when it is a longer book than Neko Shiro. I expected 6 episodes, not 4!
Yeah, it got me scratching my head too. I expected at least the same length as Neko Shiro, meaning five episodes.. We know 5 arcs will be shown on TV in 2 cours (which means at most 26 episodes) and 10 episodes already taken, so we have at most 16 episodes for 3 arcs. Theoretically we can still have 5 episodes for the remaining 3 arcs, but since the recap special seems to be numbered, we may have more than 1 recap ep coming.. and if we indeed have 1 recap per arc, we are down to 4 episodes per arc... After watching Neko Shiro I came to expect that 5 episodes per arc to be the norm... oh well...

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Aug 17, 2013 11:04 AM

Oct 2007
Remember when Wolf's Rain had those 4 recap episodes and when Gundam Seed Destiny did as well and people really heavily criticized them for it instead of calling it a clever marketing ploy? Maybe I'm dating myself here, but ah those were the days when essentially cheaping out was met with a certain level of scorn regardless of franchise popularity.

I personally never think it's a good thing when any show plans to burn 4 entire episodes on recaps be it a 50 episode TV series like Seed Destiny (this is before all the stock footage nonsense at that) or a 24 episode one like Wolf's Rain, but I guess at least unlike Wolf's Rain they aren't taking a month off straight. Still kind of unfortunate.

It also bears mentioning that in spite of all of Seed Destinies shortcomings in the department of giving a damn about not cheaping out it's still one of the best selling and most popular TV anime series of all time. There are still no words even to this day......

symbv said:
bippo said:
But Yamakan....oh god its so hard to choose XD
Even before Wake Up Girls is aired, Yamakan already starts to get bashed by anime fans for trolling that if Sendai city became an anime "pilgrimage destination" because of WUG (the anime is supposed to take place there), the city should build a bronze statute of him in the city. LOL

Thankfully Yoshiyuki Tomino never had as huge an ego or we would have ended up with a statue of him in downtown Tokyo instead of the 1:1 scale Gundam. Like I said it's amazing the difference in self-perception the real innovators in the industry have/had (I consider these to be the likes of Tezuka, Anno, Kon, Tomino, Miyazaki, Dezaki, Watanabe, Urasawa) compared to the people of some repute like Yamakan who are probably all but complete unknowns outside of the otaku circle. Then again Tomino and the other names I mentioned came from a much older school era where modesty and manners were a little more beaten into people.

Is there anyone else infamous in the anime/manga/LN industry that is this infamous for consistently putting their foot in their mouths?
PeacingOutAug 17, 2013 11:13 AM
Aug 17, 2013 11:59 AM

Oct 2007
jmal said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Remember when Wolf's Rain had those 4 recap episodes and when Gundam Seed Destiny did as well and people really heavily criticized them for it instead of calling it a clever marketing ploy? Maybe I'm dating myself here, but ah those were the days when essentially cheaping out was met with a certain level of scorn regardless of franchise popularity.

What world do you live in where people don't complain about recaps? Everyone complains about recaps all the time. That has never changed and never will. Only degree changes, which depends on the context of the recap. Because comparing what is so far one recap at the end of an arc to the quadruple recap BS Wolf's Rain pulled is ridiculous. You even admitted it's not on the same level.

Plus there's no confirmation about how many more recaps we'll get. Are you so desperate to see people join in your Shaft whining that you want them to complain about things that haven't even happened yet?

They've got to fill time somehow and currently the assumption I'm seeing is a recap at the end of each arc to sort of break them up since it looks like they are going for an almost semi-separated mini-series style of one novel=one 4 episode set which honestly isn't so bad an idea for fans of the show as it'd probably make each arc stand out a little more and give them their own vibe. Either way all I know is they are scheduled for 24 episodes and have to fill that air time somehow so it's either 3 more recaps or some sort of 3 episode filler arc.

Honestly though a recap at the end of each arc seems like exactly the kind of solution that SHAFT would opt for though and I could easily see them making recap episodes be part of the Blu-Ray episode count. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong, but that's plenty of reasons to suspect either that or some gratuitous "artistic" fan service filler is the solution to filling that air time. Either way if it does happen the spin in terms of reaction is sure to be interesting.

I mean sorry but I haven't been given any sort of reason to believe that SHAFT or rather Aniplex is the kind of company to do right by people and give them their due value when they're dealing with a buyer base that has proven more than willing to tolerate pretty obvious bait and switch tactics. Oh sorry we just couldn't finish these episodes on time that were supposed to air on TV, but if you want to still see them they'll be on the Blu-Ray so if you'll kindly just fork over 7,000 yen you'll get to see the rest of the story. I don't really see that sort of practice from many if any other production team ups. If I were them knowing all those pre-orders are pretty much secure I'd probably try and see if I could take it a step further and get away with burning episodes on easy recaps too if I knew I could still make more or less the same amount of money. It's a simple cut costs/maximize profit scheme that is perfectly logical and is entirely enabled by a community that essentially rewards the kind of bad vaguely anti-consumer behavior that Aniplex is becoming infamous for.

Anyway though of course we'll see in due time what the actual course is.
PeacingOutAug 17, 2013 12:14 PM
Aug 17, 2013 12:38 PM

Sep 2012
I agree, recaps always suck though they suck less if it would have meant a partially animated next episode otherwise.

I see no recap episode(s) on the official Bluray pages:
http://www.monogatari-series.com/2ndseason/package/index.html
http://www.monogatari-series.com/2ndseason/package/kabuki.html

But on the storyboard pages today's episode is listed as #7 so it seems like the #6 recap counts in the, I thought it was 26 episodes they originally listed though that article has been taken down from the official site and they've sinced pulled Hanamonogatari out so who know how many episodes it is now... there is no storyboard for #6 or end card. #7 card not up yet.
http://www.monogatari-series.com/2ndseason/special/index.html
Aug 17, 2013 2:24 PM

Sep 2012
^^^ Yes and sadly, I suppose since I bought it I am partially at fault... the two-disc 4-episode Nekomonogatari Kuro has shown Aniplex that they can sell them for that price/episode for an arc. I was hoping for at worst 30 episodes over 12 discs but that no longer appears possible. 25 episodes over 12 discs would really suck, maybe that's why they're soliciting it an arc at a time... If I knew that now I might reconsider it... though I think I need to get at least Neko Shiro at this point anyways.
Aug 17, 2013 6:16 PM

Sep 2012
Evidence for Monogatari Second Season Summary Episode 2 now that I was reminded where I'd seen it, at the end of Summary Episode 1:

Unfortunately the subs are correct. The lower left hand corner text says continued to summary episode 2 using the fancy kanji for tsuzu that isn't in the IME:

総集編IIへ続

Continued to Recap Episode 2
hpulleyAug 17, 2013 6:21 PM
Aug 17, 2013 7:58 PM

Sep 2012
My guess is that we will get a recap episode at the end of every arc. So a recap of Tsubasa after Neko Shiro, a recap of Hachikuji after Kabuki etc....

Aug 17, 2013 10:15 PM

Dec 2007
Pathetic, but it's not like the zombies will care at all about such.
Aug 17, 2013 10:39 PM
Jan 2013
symbv said:
hpulley said:
In fact I'm shocked that Kabuki is only getting 4 episodes when it is a longer book than Neko Shiro. I expected 6 episodes, not 4!
Yeah, it got me scratching my head too. I expected at least the same length as Neko Shiro, meaning five episodes.. We know 5 arcs will be shown on TV in 2 cours (which means at most 26 episodes) and 10 episodes already taken, so we have at most 16 episodes for 3 arcs. Theoretically we can still have 5 episodes for the remaining 3 arcs, but since the recap special seems to be numbered, we may have more than 1 recap ep coming.. and if we indeed have 1 recap per arc, we are down to 4 episodes per arc... After watching Neko Shiro I came to expect that 5 episodes per arc to be the norm... oh well...
4 ep on Kabuki is simply bullshit, and 1st episode of it already looks pretty screwed up. Hating all those recap stuffs even more.

Reason for recap? Pretty damn obvious it is. I think it is more like 'Shaft cannot handle the schedule' issue again here. Plus, core-based system of japanese anime broadcasting also partially responsible for this.
KitchiriAug 17, 2013 10:42 PM
Aug 18, 2013 3:27 AM

Sep 2012
Kitchiri said:
Reason for recap? Pretty damn obvious it is. I think it is more like 'Shaft cannot handle the schedule' issue again here. Plus, core-based system of japanese anime broadcasting also partially responsible for this.
Hmm...but this time the recaps do not seem to be unplanned like Bake. It looks they have this recap planned at the beginning. So I won't call it the same as "Shaft cannot handle the schedule" issue for this time.
symbvAug 18, 2013 4:01 AM

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» 'Sousei no Aquarion: Myth of Emotions' Unveils Main Staff, Winter 2025 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Oct 17

3 by malvarez1 »»
2 hours ago

» Yukihiro Shibutani, Art Director of 'Natsume Yuujinchou', Dies at 63

Vindstot - Oct 16

12 by malvarez1 »»
2 hours ago

» 'Ninja Batman tai Yakuza League' Unveils Supporting Cast, Trailer

Vindstot - Oct 17

3 by malvarez1 »»
2 hours ago

» Webtoon 'The Beginning After The End' Gets TV Anime in 2025

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

18 by malvarez1 »»
2 hours ago

» 'Lazarus' Unveils Main Staff, Cast, 2025 Premiere

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

12 by deg »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.