Forum Settings
Forums

What makes you decide to buy a manga rather than read it online or free?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 24, 2013 9:34 PM

Nov 2012
The manga has to be really good. (Or have a really appealing cover/jacket if I'm in-store.)
There are a few manga which I refuse to finish (and it's killing me) because I'm saving for the retail release and the like.
I've even imported some because I liked them so much and they weren't available in English.
The only manga I like to read online are one-shots; because tracking down specific magazine issues is a pain in the ass.
Support the publishers or whatever. xD
Feb 25, 2013 3:51 PM
Feb 2013
To purchase a series, I have to really love something about it, whether it's the story, my attachment to the characters, or both. If it's an on-going manga, I purchase the volumes, but continue to read online so that I'm up to date with the story.
Feb 25, 2013 3:57 PM

Oct 2012
If its a newer manga than I'm more willing to buy it because then I get the excitement of waiting for the new volumes to come out meanwhile with longer/on-going manga I'd much rather read online because I'm too poor to afford all the volumes lol. But if a manga is on sale then I will buy it or those multi-volume manga with like 3 volumes in one because that's just a swell deal.
Feb 25, 2013 4:28 PM
Feb 2013
Mem521 said:
I’ve never bought a manga before reading it online although a friend bought me one after seeing reviews for it. After enjoying that manga a lot, i would go out and buy another manga without reading it online initially.

I’m likely to buy manga’s that ive read online because of its art like Vagabond.

This. I like to preview it online first. I also bought Vagabond because of the art and my favorite character, Sasaki Kojiro.

CodingSession said:
It's the indescribable feelings of holding a physical book, smelling its paper, and flipping through its pages. I can't get all that from digitized manga. Besides, my eyes get tired faster reading on a screen than reading an actual book.

I agree. I feel more comfortable being able to walk around, or lay comfortably in my bed with a book. Plus, the quality of the art is much better than scans. :)
Feb 25, 2013 5:15 PM

Sep 2012
I use a manga app on my phone, that way i can take whatever i want around with me, whenever i need it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"I don't do anything I don't have to. What I have to do, I do quickly." -Oreki Houtarou
Feb 25, 2013 11:43 PM
Jul 2018
I find it uncomfortable to read on a computer screen or smartphone, and I like the sensation of holding a manga and turning its pages. Only if the title is not released in my country, I'll go get my smartphone and read it online, or computer, but mostly smartphone because I like to read while laying down on my bed, and I got no tablet (it feels irritating indeed to read on smartphone, but I can't wait for it to be released in my country, plus there's no guarantee whether it'll really be released someday, especially since my country is pretty strict in considering a content of a manga. Even when it's released, there might just be censorship everywhere). But if there are some news or more possibilities of a title to be released here, I'd love to wait.

I'd also like to respect the author so as to buy manga when it has been licensed in my country. Or as my thanks for them, for making such good arts for me to appreciate it. Also since I'm pretty selective in deciding a title to buy. As I consider the art of the manga as very important, I'd likely to buy only manga with good-great art. Thus I can admire them in my shelf.
removed-userFeb 25, 2013 11:48 PM
Feb 27, 2013 1:38 PM

Feb 2013
I would rather have my manga at home ready when i need them. Just looking at my manga on my shelf is great. I only buy the manga i think its worth buying though, and the rest i read online.
Fear leads to Anger. Anger leads to Hate. Hate leads to Suffering. (Yoda)
Feb 28, 2013 7:53 PM

Aug 2012
I don't like reading online, cause it doesn't have the original lines it says from the actual manga. I'd rather have the real thing on my hands and going back and forth as much as I want. Plus, I like to have a collection of manga
Mar 2, 2013 2:52 PM

Jun 2012
It's all about the collection for me. Although it is nice to support the author, how much % they get i have no fucking idea but it is probably more than what the DVD sales give them.

Bought a few volumes of claymore recently, that definitely deserves my money. but yeah, i love to collect things and there is usually some form of collecting hobby i have going. atm it's manga and probably always will be xD i don't see myself losing interest in fiction. but damn i got a couple volumes now, going to be needing a shelf very soon >.<
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Mar 2, 2013 5:28 PM

Feb 2012
Mainly that buying cost money and takes up physical space. If you have any manga/books in general they take up a lot of space and you will probably only read them once.

It's a lot more easier and less time consuming/costly/space taking up for me to just read on my iphone/android.

To be honest if I had to buy all the manga/anime I've read/seen it would have cost a lot and take up a lot of space. I doubt I would even still read/watch anime/manga if I had to buy it never mind seeing as much as I have.
Mar 2, 2013 6:26 PM
Feb 2013
MidnightPride said:
Mainly that buying cost money and takes up physical space. If you have any manga/books in general they take up a lot of space and you will probably only read them once.

It's a lot more easier and less time consuming/costly/space taking up for me to just read on my iphone/android.

To be honest if I had to buy all the manga/anime I've read/seen it would have cost a lot and take up a lot of space. I doubt I would even still read/watch anime/manga if I had to buy it never mind seeing as much as I have.

I see what you mean, but I guess this would only be an issue for those who have read/watched a ton of series and loved them all enough to buy. I only have about 5 series and purchased them based on how much I enjoy them. Most of the ones I have are short series; or if they're long, I only buy the volumes that contain my favorite chapters/arcs.
Mar 3, 2013 7:28 AM

May 2010
I don't read manga online, if they are published in my country. If I have already read something, and after some time it gets published here, I buy it.
Mar 3, 2013 10:28 PM

Jan 2013
I personally like having a hard, physical copy in my hand to read, especially if it's a series i really love. But i just generally love collecting it in general, obviously only series I love or are interested in, and it makes me feel good to know I am supporting the industry.

- "It is the sky that allows the cloud to move about freely."
Mar 4, 2013 8:04 AM

Feb 2010
I kinda hate online reading and I LOVE to collect books/comics/mangas so when something is available I'll buy it. I only go to online platforms for some series I'm really into but which aren't licensed here, like Liar Game for example.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 5, 2013 4:59 AM

Mar 2012
I mostly just read manga online. If I'm in the mood to buy manga, I'll go to a bookshop and look at the manga available. I'll then buy something that slightly interests me and if I love it enough I'll end up buying the other volumes and not read it online
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SilentSuicide&sclick=1]
Apr 13, 2013 1:51 AM

Mar 2013
I've always been an avid reader, and I'm one of those people who really likes the feeling of owning my very own (physical) copy of a good story. In my mind I keep thinking I'm going to save them and pass them down to my children one day, but knowing how protective I am of my stuff I probably won't even let them touch any of it until they're practically adults and therefore are able to handle everything with the utmost care. x) Plus staring at a computer screen for too long hurts my eyes, and if I have to do most of my study online then I'd rather not spend most of my leisure time burning out my eyeballs either. Having said that, I live in Australia and manga is rather hard to come by. It also costs me almost an hour's worth of work to buy just one volume, so right now I only own one box set, and that happens to be Death Note. I really love the art style, and because the story is rather heavy with plot and dialogue I feel like it's well worth the money to be able to really pore through the books and experience the story in the most immersive way possible. So basically, I'll only buy manga with an engaging plot (otherwise I feel like I'll get the same experience reading it online), with an art style and a world that I really love.
"Go bald, Kurosaki."

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is a guy reading a lighthearted cutesy manga disturbing?

fallout45 - Aug 26

32 by isseixkoneko »»
4 hours ago

» How much money have you spent on buying manga?

bucciest - Jul 7

26 by isseixkoneko »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » why do some people hate manhwa/ua so much???

FruitPunchBaka - May 6

28 by isseixkoneko »»
4 hours ago

» What's the worst BL or GL trope?

isseixkoneko - 4 hours ago

0 by isseixkoneko »»
4 hours ago

» which manga has live action adaptations, but no anime

hacker09 - Nov 28, 2023

24 by tmoverbeck »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.