Forum Settings
Forums

What are some books that you think every kid should have to read in school?

New
Jan 7, 2013 5:50 AM

Sep 2011
There are books, and then there are BOOKS. Those who have read certain books think that everyone else should read them too, simply because they provide insights that are much needed in virtually all individuals in a healthy society.

The point of this thread is simple: What book(s) do you think a should kid have had to read in school? I'm mainly thinking different novels, and while the students are still in compulsory education. Please explain why you picked that book in particular, and give reasons for why students should have to read it.

Common answers I always get are books like: Animal Farm, The Kite Runner, Crime and Punishment, and of course The Bible. But like I said, I want to know what you think. Hopefully, this might also give birth to a debate of some sort.

I'm looking forward to reading all your answers!
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 7, 2013 5:57 AM

Aug 2011
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it teaches them the basics of how to survive in the galaxy, essential reading.
Jan 7, 2013 6:01 AM

Dec 2012
I grew up with Roald Dahl's books.
They inspired me and sparked my creativity when I was a kid.
Also Fifty Shades Of Grey.

*My Profile || Signature by Jeav || I am a part οf The Invisibles. || My Anime List*
Jan 7, 2013 6:21 AM

Sep 2009
The Holy Bible.

Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Jan 7, 2013 6:28 AM

Aug 2012
Mein Kampf - If you're gonna mention it so much you may as well make us read it.
The Road - Because we all need some depressing literature to read that's gritty and "real."
Jan 7, 2013 6:30 AM

Nov 2011
Twilight. To know good literature you must first know bad literature.
The Art of Eight
Jan 7, 2013 6:41 AM

Jan 2011
In no serious particular order of importance:
OLD:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclid%27s_Elements
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principia_Mathematica
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wealth_of_Nations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophi%C3%A6_Naturalis_Principia_Mathematica

New(er)
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Relativity:_The_Special_and_General_Theory
http://as.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-EHEP000712.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Feynman_Lectures_on_Physics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_General_Theory_of_Employment,_Interest_and_Money

Schaum's Outlines on ...
Everything and Anything - Generally 'okay'-ish at least in terms of quality. Perhaps focussing on
Linear Algebra
Differential Equations
Vector Analysis
Tensor Calculus
Fluid Mechanics
Modern Physics

I'd include more if 'articles' are allowed, but oh well, that's more than enough text to feed anyone.
I also wonder if Ph.D. are considered books, since generally there will be submission of a book form.

/biased opinion

I should note that the above has no Cosmology.
I personally read popular-level Cosmology for books, and slightly more technical level with articles.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Jan 7, 2013 7:04 AM
Dec 2012
Harry Potter
Jan 7, 2013 7:07 AM
Jul 2012
Romeo and Juliet... Not because they wanted to, I just know they did. That and probably The Giver.
Jan 7, 2013 7:08 AM

Nov 2012
The Hobbit

MellowJello said:
Mein Kampf
dankickyou said:
Twilight.

Don't know which is worse.
Jan 7, 2013 7:11 AM

Sep 2011
dankickyou said:
Twilight. To know good literature you must first know bad literature.
That suggestion is more stupid than the book.

Dune
^_^
Jan 7, 2013 7:14 AM

Nov 2011
MellowJello said:

The Road - Because we all need some depressing literature to read that's gritty and "real."

You want kids to have mass depression?
The Art of Eight
Jan 7, 2013 7:19 AM

Aug 2012
dankickyou said:
MellowJello said:

You want kids to have mass depression?

yes May as well have them face depression early before they run into the "what am I doing with my life" stage. It's like chicken pox! :P

Aside from mass depression, I actually think it's worth the childhood read.
Jan 7, 2013 7:27 AM

Oct 2010
Tales of Earthsea
Jan 7, 2013 7:36 AM

Apr 2012
RandomPerson3 said:
The Hobbit

MellowJello said:
Mein Kampf
dankickyou said:
Twilight.

Don't know which is worse.

Mein Kampf was pretty badly written but it did present some valid points about politics. Prejudice aside.

I'd say every kid should read Frankenstein.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jan 7, 2013 8:04 AM

Oct 2012
I'd say books that teach them practical skills; Cooking books, survival books, swordfighting books, etc. etc.
"He's not dead, he's Katsura."
Jan 7, 2013 8:09 AM

Nov 2011
HiddenVoice said:
I'd say books that teach them practical skills; Cooking books, survival books, swordfighting books, etc. etc.

Sword fighting has not been a practical skill in about 200 years.
The Art of Eight
Jan 7, 2013 8:12 AM

Jun 2008
Swordfighting... practical...

If it's English class, I first want them to remove Shakespeare. Seriously, I still don't get why students are forced to study old language that is completely irrelevant today. English class could be about epistemology of words, if only students be allowed to understand and apply modern grammar and language first. I think I've read a Shakespeare book every year in 4 years of high school, wwwwwwwwwhhhhhhy.

Let people read poetry and from other authors instead. I don't think I remember reading poetry once in high school. Stop overhyping Shakespeare imo.
Jan 7, 2013 8:13 AM

Jan 2011
The phone book.

No but in all seriousness, the Odyssey and the Illiad. Two of the greatest works of literature that the world has ever seen.

AnnoKano jokingly said the bible, but I actually think that would be a good thing for kids to read. As well as the qur'an. Since a lot of people actually believe this crap, I think it's important to know the specifics of what they believe.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Jan 7, 2013 8:16 AM

Jun 2008
They get a glimpse of where our world is going. Good education for the kids.
Jan 7, 2013 8:17 AM
Oct 2012
I remember growing up reading Artemis Fowl and really enjoying it. It is important to learn things but being able to enjoy what you are reading is just as important otherwise you won't get anything out of it.
Jan 7, 2013 8:25 AM

Sep 2012
HiddenVoice said:
..oh.

This is a list of all the books (I can remember) that I had to read during High School:

9th Grade

Lord of the Flies
Romeo and Juliet
The Odyssey

10th Grade

Frankenstein
Night
Oedipus

11th Grade

The Tipping Point
Into Thin Air
Anthem
The Crucible
A Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
Fahrenheit 451
The Catcher in the Rye
Wind From an Enemy Sky

12th Grade

Hamlet
Things Fall Apart
Pygmalion

There were more, but they have slipped my mind.
Jan 7, 2013 8:40 AM

Aug 2008
Seconding Catcher and Mockingbird.

For Lit/World Lit:
The Stranger
The Color Purple
Dubliners
Great Expectations
Fahrenheit 451
(as an alternative to 1984, because you're going to read it eventually anyway)
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Old Man and the Sea
(or A Farewell to Arms, or For Whom the Bell Tolls, or a study of Hemingway's short stories)

Plays:
"Waiting for Godot"
"The Visit"
"An Enemy of the People" (or "A Doll's House")

Nonfiction (for any other class):
Management - Drucker (Or a digest of it)
Meditations on First Philosophy - Decartes
Looking at Philosophy - Palmer

Poetry:
Robert Frost
Edgar Allen Poe
Other figures of Romanticism and Transcendentalism that I can't name off the top of my head.
DeseradaJan 7, 2013 9:02 AM
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Jan 7, 2013 8:41 AM

Dec 2012
tanshiniza said:
I remember growing up reading Artemis Fowl and really enjoying it. It is important to learn things but being able to enjoy what you are reading is just as important otherwise you won't get anything out of it.

Artemis Fowl is indeed a good read.

*My Profile || Signature by Jeav || I am a part οf The Invisibles. || My Anime List*
Jan 7, 2013 8:45 AM

Aug 2008
Vinter said:
The phone book.

No but in all seriousness, the Odyssey and the Illiad. Two of the greatest works of literature that the world has ever seen.

AnnoKano jokingly said the bible, but I actually think that would be a good thing for kids to read. As well as the qur'an. Since a lot of people actually believe this crap, I think it's important to know the specifics of what they believe.
Similarly, I would like World Religions courses to be mandatory for at least a semester, and be available with one or two year long courses, by level of rigor. That alone would dramatically reduce the amount of ignorant people in the world, as I feel that religion is one of the most understudied subjects.

I'll add the Tao Te Ching, The Upanishads, and the Rig Veda to that list.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Jan 7, 2013 8:45 AM

Feb 2012
The Little Prince comes to my mind. It's not my most favourite book ever, but if I read it earlier, I would have probably grasped it differently.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Jan 7, 2013 8:52 AM

Dec 2009
For the purpose of making them think about the world and their place in it, Catcher In The Rye, Catch-22, Fahrenheit 451 and 1984.

For the purpose of confronting them with literary prose of the highest level, Blood Meridian or anything by Hemingway.
Ara ara.
Jan 7, 2013 9:03 AM

May 2008
The one I fully agree with is Fahrenheit 451, so idiocy like burning games in Connecticut doesn't have to happen.

Jan 7, 2013 9:31 AM
May 2012

Perhaps,

Chapter 1 of the "Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellison

This short read really makes people feel really disgusted at the idea of racism/discrimination, which is important for the continuing decline in the idea.

"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card

This is just a blast to read, and really might help some kids realize that reading can be fun as hell and not strictly about preaching some moral lesson or agenda, you know?
Jan 7, 2013 9:42 AM

Mar 2011
Lord of the Flies.

The very hungry caterpillar.

Horrible History/Science books - Always nice to be informed.

I don't think Shakespeare is too bad really, his stories are very well suited for study.

Lolita.
Jan 7, 2013 9:47 AM
May 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:
Lolita.

Justify?
Jan 7, 2013 9:58 AM

Aug 2009
I would rather have a better educational system than having to read any specific book.

There is no point for kids in reading Homer or Shakespeare when their general knowledge in high school ,is at grade school level.

Also I dont know if I hate seeing people suggest Homer and other Greek poets/authors because I read/hear about them since grade school I was able to understand words or because my teachers on the subject were ALL weirdos.
Jan 7, 2013 9:59 AM

Jan 2013

He teaches you colors and butterflies that might save your everyday needs.
Jan 7, 2013 10:16 AM

Aug 2012
Screw Harry Potter, The Hobbit, Lord of the Flies; bust out the history books!
Jan 7, 2013 10:44 AM

Mar 2012
I think they should bring more non-fiction books, that aren't textbooks, into schools. I've never heard of anyone having to read even one such book. Things like:

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond
Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman
Red Families v. Blue Families by Naomi Cahn and June Carbone
Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
Something about the loss of privacy in the internet era, there are plenty.

These are by no means unengaging books, and are probably a lot easier to get into than some of the complex fiction novels found in a typical high-school curriculum.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 7, 2013 11:09 AM

Sep 2009
ssjokg said:
I would rather have a better educational system than having to read any specific book.

Fair comment.

ssjokg said:
There is no point for kids in reading Homer or Shakespeare when their general knowledge in high school ,is at grade school level.

How can the knowledge of the average high school student be at the level of a grade school student?

ssjokg said:
Also I dont know if I hate seeing people suggest Homer and other Greek poets/authors because I read/hear about them since grade school I was able to understand words or because my teachers on the subject were ALL weirdos.

Someone appoint this man as minister for education.

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."

Jan 7, 2013 11:23 AM

Jun 2011
Les Misérables by Victor Hugo
tfw no gf
tfw i keep getting the banhammer on here
tfw Koleare keeps banning me every other day
tfw I'm misunderstood by le mod
Jan 7, 2013 11:34 AM

Aug 2009
AnnoKano said:

ssjokg said:

How can the knowledge of the average high school student be at the level of a grade school student?

It is possible when the system sucks.Yes the students are responsible too, but when there is chaos inside the classroom and the teacher doesnt give a fuck or worse, if he is afraid to punish them it makes things way worse even for those that want to learn.Also some teachers just dont give a fuck.They enter the classroom and just talk about their subject without actually giving any explanation.If the student is lucky and has rich parents then he can be saved by cram schools.There were people in my class that couldnt find our country on the national map in high school and no, they werent mentally retarded.Probably.

AnnoKano said:

ssjokg said:

Someone appoint this man as minister for education.
Why the sarcasm when I didnt even say something ''smart''?
ssjokgJan 7, 2013 11:39 AM
Jan 7, 2013 12:23 PM
Dec 2011
Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin
Jan 7, 2013 12:25 PM

Sep 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:
Lolita.
Ah. I had to read this for my Intro to American Studies Class (BS class) last semester.

It was interesting to hear reactions of disgust and the like from my classmates, while being an anime fan where liking "lolis" is a norm.
Jan 7, 2013 12:53 PM

Sep 2009
Duckonator said:

Philosophy:
- The Republic - Plato

Though initially I diliked this suggestion (Most of what is written in the Republic is either nonsense or a bad idea, and totally out of date) I would be in favour of studying about his Academy, because learning about how education has developed seems like a worthwhile pursuit.

WORKS EVERY TIME!

Jan 7, 2013 1:04 PM

Mar 2012
Duckonator said:
Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
I actually feel so stupid for not having read any Dostoyevsky yet. I should remedy that this summer.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 7, 2013 1:07 PM

Jan 2012
Duckonator said:

Philosophy:
- The Republic - Plato
- Critique of Pure Reason - Immanuel Kant
- Thus Spoke Zarathustra - Friedrich Nietzsche

Critique of Pure Reason especially would need be taught by a qualified individual that is specifically accredited in philosophy. At least in america, philosophy has been taken out of the curriculum so philosophy books are sadly not at all introduced. From my own personal experience, mind you I went to a private high school, we touched a majority of the recommended books in this thread and touched existentialist writing, but solely from a literary standpoint.

Edit: To add to the thread a book that has not been mentioned.

Slaughterhouse-Five
Jan 7, 2013 1:10 PM

Sep 2009
ssjokg said:

It is possible when the system sucks.Yes the students are responsible too, but when there is chaos inside the classroom and the teacher doesnt give a fuck or worse, if he is afraid to punish them it makes things way worse even for those that want to learn.Also some teachers just dont give a fuck.They enter the classroom and just talk about their subject without actually giving any explanation.If the student is lucky and has rich parents then he can be saved by cram schools.There were people in my class that couldnt find our country on the national map in high school and no, they werent mentally retarded.Probably.

The only way it is possible for the average high school student to have the intelligence of the average grade school student is for there to be no progression whatsoever from grade school to highschool. My point was that as a criticism what you said was so vague that it is of no use at all.

ssjokg said:

Because what you said about the teachers who taught you Classics was moronic.

WORKS EVERY TIME!

Jan 7, 2013 1:28 PM

Aug 2009
AnnoKano said:
ssjokg said:

The only way it is possible for the average high school student to have the intelligence of the average grade school student is for there to be no progression whatsoever from grade school to highschool. My point was that as a criticism what you said was so vague that it is of no use at all.
That is the case for many public schools here.Many go to highschool without having learnt the basics.It may be difficult for you to believe it but it happens.At least during the time I was in school.

AnnoKano said:

ssjokg said:

Because what you said about the teachers who taught you Classics was moronic.

Is there some rule that says that all teachers are normal?All 3 of them were weird and the entire school knew that.Regardless of how capable they were as teachers.I really dont understand what's your problem.
ssjokgJan 7, 2013 1:32 PM
Jan 7, 2013 1:49 PM

Dec 2011
The Harry Potter Series.
Jan 7, 2013 1:50 PM

Sep 2012
MitsukiHimeka said:
The Harry Potter Series.
And, might I ask, what exactly does the HP series add to the academic experience?
Jan 7, 2013 1:57 PM

Dec 2011
Red_Keys said:
MitsukiHimeka said:
The Harry Potter Series.
And, might I ask, what exactly does the HP series add to the academic experience?

I guess them experiencing the fantasy type genres.
Jan 7, 2013 2:04 PM

Jun 2012
primary sources in history class
teachers here teach out of a textbook with little regard for primary sources and the historians that gathered accounts for a holistic view of history

no one gets it
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Jan 7, 2013 2:23 PM

May 2011
The bible is something that does not belong in public schools and no one should ever force anyone to read it (just like other religious books). If an adult or child/teenager wants to read the bible or other religious books then I see no problem in it if they want to explore if religion is for them or not; however, religion is something that needs to stay out of public schools.

As far as books that I feel people should read is:

Hamlet
Romeo and Juliet
Black Beauty
Uncle Tom's Cabin
Heather Has Two Mommies
Where the Red Fern Grows
Harry Potter (all 7 books) because these are really, really good books for newer fantasy fiction.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Would you sit on a chair made out of Katana's?

ZakuF_ - Yesterday

14 by LoveYourSmile »»
29 seconds ago

» How many of you try to get to know other MAL members?

JaaShooUhh - 3 hours ago

9 by LoveYourSmile »»
4 minutes ago

» Can you help me find this anime?

CarolinaVitor - 6 minutes ago

0 by CarolinaVitor »»
6 minutes ago

» If you were going to play Truth or Dare IRL, what dares would you do if you were paid for it?

IpreferEcchi - 2 hours ago

9 by LoveYourSmile »»
18 minutes ago

» How do I make time for anime? ( 1 2 )

AMBITZZ - Jun 21

60 by RyuRabbit »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.