Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 27, 2023 7:57 AM

Jun 2009
Without throwing shade or anything, but I'm genuine interested why the animations of Jigokuraku feel so bad. I thought the show is from MAPPA, but this looks nothing like the quality Jujutsu Kaisen or Chainsaw Man provided. Does anyone know what the reasons might be? 
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 27, 2023 8:03 AM
May 2016
Lol, even with its mistakes, it has better quality than CSM or JJK S2 has. JJK S1 is better, but that's better than all 3 of these.
And they are weak, because they produced them after taking over SnK. After that there was a pretty obvious drop in quality.
The only show that was produced after that and has good quality all in all is Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi.
Aug 27, 2023 8:06 AM

Feb 2021
The last great Mappa anime was Idaten Deities. 
Aug 27, 2023 8:19 AM
Jan 2022
Personally .I don't hate the animation. it's so good
Aug 27, 2023 8:20 AM
May 2021
Probably because jjk and hells paradise have completely different art styles. The animation wasn’t bad at all it was actually really good.
Aug 27, 2023 8:22 AM

Dec 2021
What do you expect from MAPPA

Clearly their quality is falling, at this point even Pierrot's animation quality is far better
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Aug 27, 2023 8:31 AM

Jun 2009
LaFlame77 said:
Probably because jjk and hells paradise have completely different art styles. The animation wasn’t bad at all it was actually really good.
Then maybe I should have said character design, because the characters sometimes are just so sloppy executed and look completely different than in a previous shot. Especially Gabimaru is victom of this, I can't fathom how inconsistent his design and his animations are.

Also the opening clearly is the thing looking the best on this anime, yet the actual episodes can't keep up with that imo.
Aug 27, 2023 8:40 AM
Jul 2021
I guess it was probably because most of the the animators were working on jjk s2 and they probably rushed this anime for some revenue maybe
Aug 27, 2023 8:40 AM
Jan 2020
I read probably the first two or three volumes of the manga but I felt the character design and animation were on point for the original artstyle, there were moments that here or there the quality dipped but that's pretty much normal these days with the lack of animators and the overabundance of shows in production simultaneously.
Aug 27, 2023 8:45 AM
Jul 2018
Mitsuru-Senpaii said:
Without throwing shade or anything, but I'm genuine interested why the animations of Jigokuraku feel so bad. I thought the show is from MAPPA, but this looks nothing like the quality Jujutsu Kaisen or Chainsaw Man provided. Does anyone know what the reasons might be? 

Well, Because MAPPA was bessyir then any time for publishing a bunch of Anime series like JJK,AOT, Vinland Saga.With a poor and short time. They made Hell's Paradise for a little kick of the time, they didn't expect it as a higher production, so with the lower budget, here we've got an existing Anime with poor animations somehow. Personally I didn't feel much bad about animations, and of course in some frames it took reducilously bad animation.
(Waiting for season 2)
removed-userAug 28, 2023 7:53 AM
Aug 27, 2023 8:47 AM
Mar 2023
They wasted all of their resources on vinland saga and jujutsu s2
Plus most of the Anime was outsourced to China, which would always made the animation worse
And their schedule was really bad too
That's all the factors that made the animation bad
Aug 27, 2023 8:55 AM
Aug 2023
I wouldn't say the animation is bad.
We just expected better animation from Mappa.
Aug 27, 2023 8:56 AM
Dec 2020
I wonder why are there so many rude people answering your simple question. Well, I agree with you that the animation looks terrible if compared to other MAPPA shows like JJK and CSM. The reason for that is just the same; MAPPA has taken too many anime with high-quality animation to work on, they have SNK final ep, CSM 2, JJK 2 and so on... and I seriously don't understand why they took Jigokuraku to adapt right when they already have so many work to do. But I hope that answers your question! I don't like hating on anime but I dropped Jigokuraku because imo everything in this anime is terrible, but that's just me, I understand if someone likes it.
Aug 27, 2023 8:59 AM
Jan 2022
I really liked the animation for hells paradise. Maybe a little more than CSM.
Aug 27, 2023 9:00 AM

May 2022
the animation isn't bad.... you are just expecting too much from mappa everytime.....🤷🤷
Aug 27, 2023 9:12 AM
Jul 2022
its only natural that the quality will suffer when a big company is getting greedy and tries to do 2-3 shows almost every season, quantity over quality at this point for them
that being sad personally i still thought it looked decent overall and some of the rougher edges didnt damper my enjoyment of the show
Aug 27, 2023 9:42 AM

Jun 2009
ishinashi430 said:
Only 2 genders and you are a retarded woman.
Animations are fine and better than the average anime level. cry about it. attention seeker
3 forum posts and you wasted one of them being a cunt, congrats. Mappa won't kiss you for your attempt at bravely defending them, especially since I clearly stated I'm not here to throw shade, but what is reading comprehension?

Sirtolli said:
I wonder why are there so many rude people answering your simple question. Well, I agree with you that the animation looks terrible if compared to other MAPPA shows like JJK and CSM. The reason for that is just the same; MAPPA has taken too many anime with high-quality animation to work on, they have SNK final ep, CSM 2, JJK 2 and so on... and I seriously don't understand why they took Jigokuraku to adapt right when they already have so many work to do. But I hope that answers your question! I don't like hating on anime but I dropped Jigokuraku because imo everything in this anime is terrible, but that's just me, I understand if someone likes it.
I don't get it either, must be a lot of snowflakes getting offended at someone asking a question, probably the personal royals guard of Mappa or something like that. For me it was just a question since the quality is pretty low compared with what they usually produce, and I've got my answer:
Mappa being greedy and fitting Jigokuraku in their schedule while they already have a buttload of work, and then outsourcing it to China, according to the answers here
ScrewFictionAug 27, 2023 9:46 AM
Aug 27, 2023 10:06 AM
Jul 2021
The animation wasn't exactly bad, but was inconsistent imo in Jigokuraku. And mainly, because MAPPA already had their hands full with other popular projects like AoT s4, VS s2, JJK s2, CSM and all, leading to an overall rushed production and schedule. Plus they might have taken Jigo up for a quick cash grab or something like that lol, who knows. But yeah, I believe they'll step up the game in the next season fs.
dk107_Aug 27, 2023 10:11 AM
Aug 27, 2023 10:17 AM

Jun 2009
dk107_ said:
The animation wasn't exactly bad, but was inconsistent imo in Jigokuraku. And mainly, because MAPPA already had their hands full with other popular projects like AoT s4, VS s2, JJK s2, CSM and all, leading to an overall rushed production and schedule. Plus they might have taken Jigo up for a quick cash grab or something like that lol, who knows. But yeah, I believe they'll step up the game in the next season fs.
Yeah inconsistent probably would have been the better word, the quality, animations and partly also the character design gets better in the later episodes, but the inconsistencies are there
Aug 27, 2023 10:35 AM
Jul 2022
ktg said:
Lol, even with its mistakes, it has better quality than CSM or JJK S2 has. JJK S1 is better, but that's better than all 3 of these.
And they are weak, because they produced them after taking over SnK. After that there was a pretty obvious drop in quality.
The only show that was produced after that and has good quality all in all is Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi.

Fuck off lmao. You don't even have a inch bit of knowledge about animation. JJK S2 and CSM has the bets animation among all MAPPA Animes. JJK S1 is not even close to JJK 2.

Also Hell's Paradise had bad schedule and also it wasn't as big as JJK.
Aug 27, 2023 10:37 AM
Jul 2022
Faxtual_Ghoul said:

Clearly their quality is falling, at this point even Pierrot's animation quality is far better

Clearly people are getting dumber and dumber. JJK s2 and CSM both are one of the finest work I have seen. I appreciate JJK s2 more than Demon Slayer for some very obvious reasons.
Mappa's quality didn't drop, audience's IQ did.
Aug 27, 2023 11:01 AM
Jul 2023
I don't think that the animation is bad
Aug 27, 2023 11:04 AM

Dec 2021
DexterDrubo said:
Faxtual_Ghoul said:

Clearly people are getting dumber and dumber. JJK s2 and CSM both are one of the finest work I have seen. I appreciate JJK s2 more than Demon Slayer for some very obvious reasons.
Mappa's quality didn't drop, audience's IQ did.
Of course, MAPPA only animate those series that pander to the lowest common denominator
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Aug 27, 2023 11:18 AM
Oct 2021
ktg said:

Bait used to be believable
Aug 27, 2023 11:34 AM
Aug 2022
its animation is very good u just watch to much demon Slayer shit.
Aug 27, 2023 11:36 AM
Oct 2021
The animation isn't that bad but for a Mappa show it is the reason is because the animators are was working on Jjk s2 and chainsaw man that's why it's bad But I think season 2 will have better animation for sure.
Aug 27, 2023 11:38 AM
Oct 2020
Speculation includes the studio stretching itself too thin, or prioritizing other shows like JJK or chainsaw man over it.
The animation was still good tho imo. It’s just that it was less-so than MAPPA’s best projects and there was some inconsistency in the quality.
Aug 27, 2023 11:42 AM
May 2016
DexterDrubo said:
ktg said:

Fuck off lmao. You don't even have a inch bit of knowledge about animation. JJK S2 and CSM has the bets animation among all MAPPA Animes. JJK S1 is not even close to JJK 2.

That's a pretty bad take, because it actually proves that YOU don't have any knowledge.
Everything you said about Jigokuraku does not necessarily mean that the quality drops because of those. Shaft used to having the worst schedule while they were animating Monogatari series or Madoka Magica and those shows still look really good. And Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi is also not as big as JJK, but still it's the best MAPPA animation from the recent years. This pretty much refutes your stupid take.

As for JJK S2, they had to make the characters' design more simple compared to S1, because they wouldn't have been able to keep with the schedule. So, they obviously lowered the animation quality. You can see this lack of details in shadings and lights on the characters. For example:
S1 (flashback): https://staticg.sportskeeda.com/editor/2022/09/14d2e-16641961761018-1920.jpg
S2: https://cdn.oneesports.gg/cdn-data/2023/07/Anime_JujutsuKaisen_Season2_GojoSatoru_GetoSuguru_GegeAkutami.jpg
The quality of the pictures isn't the greatest but you can still see the difference.
Obviously there are some aspects where the animation is better like the background, but the most important part is the characters and that's worse.

As for CSM, they used CGI heavily, while they are fully aware that their CGI isn't the greatest. It's relatively weak compared to other studios. It's not necessarily a problem, because they did everything to hide it, but this heavy use introduced a lot of mistakes, because the 2d and 3d integration broke a couple of times.
Here's one example: https://prnt.sc/it1B9lwiPQqV

So, it is pretty obvious that there are mistakes and pretty obvious that you failed to recognize those or you just lied about them for whatever reason. In either case, your take is pretty invalid if we are talking about animation.

sparFuu said:
ktg said:

That's how you know it's not a bait. These are facts.
ktgAug 27, 2023 11:56 AM
Aug 27, 2023 11:58 AM
Jul 2021
ktg said:
DexterDrubo said:

That's a pretty bad take, because it actually proves that YOU don't have any knowledge.
Everything you said about Jigokuraku does not necessarily mean that the quality drops because of those. Shaft used to having the worst schedule while they were animating Monogatari series or Madoka Magica and those shows still look really good. And Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi is also not as big as JJK, but still it's the best MAPPA animation from the recent years. This pretty much refutes your stupid take.

As for JJK S2, they had to make the characters' design more simple compared to S1, because they wouldn't have been able to keep with the schedule. So, they obviously lowered the animation quality. You can see this lack of details in shadings and lights on the characters. For example:
S1 (flashback): https://staticg.sportskeeda.com/editor/2022/09/14d2e-16641961761018-1920.jpg
S2: https://cdn.oneesports.gg/cdn-data/2023/07/Anime_JujutsuKaisen_Season2_GojoSatoru_GetoSuguru_GegeAkutami.jpg
The quality of the pictures isn't the greatest but you can still see the difference.
Obviously there are some aspects where the animation is better like the background, but the most important part is the characters and that's worse.

As for CSM, they used CGI heavily, while they are fully aware that their CGI isn't the greatest. It's relatively weak compared to other studios. It's not necessarily a problem, because they did everything to hide it, but this heavy use introduced a lot of mistakes, because the 2d and 3d integration broke a couple of times.
Here's one example: https://prnt.sc/it1B9lwiPQqV

So, it is pretty obvious that there are mistakes and pretty obvious that you failed to recognize those or you just lied about them for whatever reason. In either case, your take is pretty invalid if we are talking about animation.

sparFuu said:

That's how you know it's not a bait. These are facts.

I like how peacefull this thread is
Aug 27, 2023 12:03 PM

Aug 2021
It's not bad at all unless you're specifically trying to find the bad parts about it. Mappa is also very busy with its other shows.
Aug 27, 2023 12:13 PM
Jan 2021
ktg said:

I really don’t approve this take, but if you really think so, I’m happy for you…
Aug 27, 2023 12:15 PM
Jul 2023
could be because it was either rushed or just low budget or both
Aug 27, 2023 12:20 PM
May 2016
Yetikils said:
ktg said:

I really don’t approve this take, but if you really think so, I’m happy for you…

I made a pretty detailed explanation. Read that.
Aug 27, 2023 12:39 PM
Jun 2023
ktg said:

That’s a crazy take ngl
Aug 27, 2023 12:42 PM
Jul 2017
Anyone with a basic understanding of how anime is produced would truly appreciate both Jujutsu Kaisen and Jigokuraku. It's important to recognize that these two shows are like two different pairs of shoes. Each anime has its own unique style, tone, and storytelling approach. You can't simply apply the same animation techniques or creative choices to both and expect the same results. Mappa's ability to adapt their animation style to suit the distinct essence of each anime is a testament to their expertise and dedication to the craft.
Aug 27, 2023 12:42 PM
May 2016
Ricdumb said:
ktg said:

That’s a crazy take ngl

It's ok, that's not a take. Those are facts.
Aug 27, 2023 1:04 PM
May 2016
Anyone with a basic understanding of how anime is produced would truly appreciate both Jujutsu Kaisen and Jigokuraku. It's important to recognize that these two shows are like two different pairs of shoes. Each anime has its own unique style, tone, and storytelling approach. You can't simply apply the same animation techniques or creative choices to both and expect the same results. Mappa's ability to adapt their animation style to suit the distinct essence of each anime is a testament to their expertise and dedication to the craft.

But there are basic principles that apply to both of shows, every shows. For example, japanese anime is 24 fps. And when we are talking about quality of animation, we are talking about these basic principles.
And if we compromise on quality, just to get more shows adapted, then the end of the day, we should appreciate Ex-Arm level of animation too.
And yes, while this is not really the animators' fault, we still need to differentiate between these shows based on the quality too, so the studio or more like the production committee changes the way they adapt shows.
Aug 27, 2023 1:06 PM

May 2022
ktg said:

Both of the anime were better than hell's paradise. Hell's paradise had too many inconsistencies that were hard to ignore. I didn't notice anything too bad to ignore in CSM or JJK.

From my experience, Hell's Paradise felt rushed unlike the other 2 anime. The first 3 episodes were good but the quality fell off every new episode.
Aug 27, 2023 1:24 PM
May 2016
Polar_Opposite said:
ktg said:

Both of the anime were better than hell's paradise. Hell's paradise had too many inconsistencies that were hard to ignore. I didn't notice anything too bad to ignore in CSM or JJK.

From my experience, Hell's Paradise felt rushed unlike the other 2 anime. The first 3 episodes were good but the quality fell off every new episode.

No, animation-wise they are weaker. You could have at least read my longer explanation where I mentioned examples.
Btw, it is a pretty bad argument that YOU didn't notice anything. Like if I say I didn't notice anything in Ex-Arm, then it is better than any of these shows?

While what you call inconsistency, is probably the style of the show. The inconsistencies were pretty regular, they were consistently there, consistently inconsistent (aside from some actual mistakes).
Aug 27, 2023 1:31 PM

Jan 2009
because its not a top priority project for MAPPA

by default check the Animation Producer of an anime aka AniP like here for Hells Paradise https://myanimelist.net/people/64969/Wataru_Kawagoe as you can see he is also the animation producer for Attack on Titan Finale and that is most likely his top priority than Hells Paradise that are both being produced at the same time

Animation Producer is the staff that is by default responsible for gathering the staff that will animate a project
Aug 27, 2023 1:43 PM
May 2022
I was fine with the animation, but it clearly wasn't their best work. They clearly put more time and effort on Vinland Saga (even the intros and endings were amazing) and Jjk because that's probably were the big money is.
Maybe with enough time they can make S2 better. Can't wait for it.
Aug 27, 2023 1:45 PM
Feb 2023
the art style and animations were really good bro what are you talking about? jjk, csm, and hp all have vastly different art styles; maybe it’s just not your style?
Aug 27, 2023 2:02 PM
Feb 2021
Mitsuru-Senpaii said:

Maybe try to get a new pair of eyes… the community is worse and worse every day
Aug 27, 2023 2:10 PM
Jun 2023
In my opinion, the animation wasn't that bad it's still ok
Aug 27, 2023 2:21 PM

Jan 2009
people keep mentioning Vinland Saga but it has the same Animation Producer aka AniP for both seasons that is talented here he is https://myanimelist.net/people/63619/Hiroya_Hasegawa

again AniP is by default responsible for gathering the staff of an anime project so how talented the staff of an anime is depends by default on the quality of the AniP
Aug 27, 2023 2:42 PM
May 2016
Polar_Opposite said:
ktg said:
No, animation-wise they are weaker. You could have at least read my longer explanation where I mentioned examples.
Btw, it is a pretty bad argument that YOU didn't notice anything. Like if I say I didn't notice anything in Ex-Arm, then it is better than any of these shows?

While what you call inconsistency, is probably the style of the show. The inconsistencies were pretty regular, they were consistently there, consistently inconsistent (aside from some actual mistakes).

Sorry that I don't have the time to read the entire thread, should have read your longer explanation.

You are talking about "lack of details in shadings and lights on the characters." in JJK season 2. But then this is okay in Hell's Paradise?

Where is the character detail?

Also, inconsistencies isn't necessarily a matter of style; it could still impact the overall quality. The fact that inconsistencies were consistent doesn't necessarily justify their presence.

(I deleted the picture, so we won't spam that)

While it is true that Jigokuraku's characters weren't really detailed, but I was talking in comparison. Compare, for example, Gojo's and Gabirmaru's face, hair. Gabimaru's hair more detailed than Gojo's from S2, but less detailed than Gojo's from S1.
And I wouldn't really care about simplistic design or care less about it, if these were the original designs. When JJK S1 was airing, it was among the shows with the best animation in that WHOLE YEAR. I'm not saying it was the best, I'm saying it was one of the best. But with these shows, I couldn't even put them in the top 3 in THEIR OWN SEASON (it's true for all 3 of these, JJK S2, CSM and Jigokuraku). The last MAPPA show that I could do this was Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi. There's clearly something wrong with the current schedule at MAPPA.

My point was, regarding the inconsistencies or more like some of it, that if the inconsistencies are consistent, then we can hardly call it inconsistency, because it's consistent, and one possibility is because it's a stylistic choice.
And while the disappearing blood is a mistake, the way their body deforms, especially during fights, was likely a stylistic choice.
Aug 27, 2023 3:32 PM
Jan 2022
there's nothing wrong with the animation why for of god ppl keep trying to find bad animation in it it's the same thing with jjk s2 top animation and ppl still trying to find bad animation I'm sick of it
Aug 27, 2023 7:19 PM
Jul 2020
It’s not even remotely bad.

It’s subpar for MAPPA, sure, but it’s at the very least an 7 or 8 out of 10.

Not it’s fault that MAPPA consistently releases 10/10s.
Aug 27, 2023 7:20 PM
Jul 2020
MadanielFL said:
The last great Mappa anime was Idaten Deities. 

Hell nah, Idaten was amazing animation-wise.

Design is super simple, sure, but the anime itself is really great.
Aug 27, 2023 7:53 PM
Dec 2021
Imo it was acceptable but i agree that we shouldnt let mappa downgrade their animation blatantly and get away with it scott free. How far will this cascade of cheapness go?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Huge Problem

Leon888 - Aug 8

1 by J-Flo »»
Aug 11, 11:08 PM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2023

330 by Stefan221 »»
Aug 4, 9:47 AM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2023

359 by OnigirisBasket »»
Aug 3, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2023

312 by xx_moonglade_xx »»
Jul 30, 9:05 AM

Poll: » Jigokuraku Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2023

555 by xx_moonglade_xx »»
Jul 30, 9:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.