Forum Settings
Forums

some of the funniest translation note you saw in anime subtitles?

New
Apr 9, 2022 10:00 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Here is mine for example when the subber got into the mind of this animal and knew what he meant...

Apr 9, 2022 10:18 AM

Feb 2016
Plastic Neesan fansub referenced the Death Note meme.

その目だれの目?
Apr 9, 2022 10:24 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Lucifrost said:
Plastic Neesan fansub referenced the Death Note meme.

I love this anime, it was hilarious... When nee-san got stuck on the basketball rim was rather funny.. also the mochi making episode.. and the the tennis match, the episode where the gay guy chased some thugs buck naked and cops chased after him .

Nice to meet someone who like this short anime..

I think this was the episode when they were going down the stairs and came across the thugs and the gay guy showed up...

Apr 9, 2022 2:32 PM

Dec 2015
Only knows some polish memes of this:

In this the translator literally explained how to read "Ninja" word.

Here the subs says:
This hotel is tiny.
but many years ago
there was recorded 07 zgłoś się (polish tv series from 70s)
an even Piotr Kupicha (guitarist) from band Feel stayed here (Feel was known and popular as a meme and seriously mainly cause of the song "Jak anioła głos" which means "Like an angel's voice"----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0hGYDD0KTI)

This is the reference in translation to a huge meme of polish news reporter who said on live by accident to Rurku with cussing that the table is fucked up and to not piss him. ->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W479P3zXukk
[*] He passed away last year.

"A może by tak rzucić to wszystko i wyjechać w Bieszczady!?"/"A pierdolę to/Jebać to, jadę w Bieszczady" A very known polish saying and meme (soft and cuss version) which means "Maybe let's just throw everything away and go to Bieszczady (mountains) !?"

"Going out to sunlight is the worst after few all-nighters in LoL (League of Legends)"

"I have a bigger queque under my room/gabinet than the public debt of Poland"

Reference to a polish tv series of Cejrowski where he travels around world "Boso" (By barefoot) and here specifically about the episode with camels. (Couldn't find a clip but here example of how it looked like with the episode in Israel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxQeeadYTlU )

A reference to a very famous wedding song/sing "A teraz idziemy na jednego" Which means "And now We're going for a one (shot of vodka)" ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-NUX01XZG8

There are dozens of more about it as translators often likes to put their own references or trollings but so far those are the examples I found in few minutes of browsing polish internet x)
ZettaikenApr 9, 2022 2:38 PM
Apr 9, 2022 2:47 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
xXxAlmaxXx said:
Only knows some polish memes of this:

In this the translator literally explained how to read "Ninja" word.

Here the subs says:
This hotel is tiny.
but many years ago
there was recorded 07 zgłoś się (polish tv series from 70s)
an even Piotr Kupicha (guitarist) from band Feel stayed here (Feel was known and popular as a meme and seriously mainly cause of the song "Jak anioła głos" which means "Like an angel's voice"----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0hGYDD0KTI)

This is the reference in translation to a huge meme of polish news reporter who said on live by accident to Rurku with cussing that the table is fucked up and to not piss him. ->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W479P3zXukk
[*] He passed away last year.

"A może by tak rzucić to wszystko i wyjechać w Bieszczady!?"/"A pierdolę to/Jebać to, jadę w Bieszczady" A very known polish saying and meme (soft and cuss version) which means "Maybe let's just throw everything away and go to Bieszczady (mountains) !?"

"Going out to sunlight is the worst after few all-nighters in LoL (League of Legends)"

"I have a bigger queque under my room/gabinet than the public debt of Poland"

Reference to a polish tv series of Cejrowski where he travels around world "Boso" (By barefoot) and here specifically about the episode with camels. (Couldn't find a clip but here example of how it looked like with the episode in Israel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxQeeadYTlU )

A reference to a very famous wedding song/sing "A teraz idziemy na jednego" Which means "And now We're going for a one (shot of vodka)" ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-NUX01XZG8

There are dozens of more about it as translators often likes to put their own references or trollings but so far those are the examples I found in few minutes of browsing polish internet x)

I don't know polish or hebrew and always found the language extremely difficult.. but thank you for the details.. although it all went over my head...

Apr 9, 2022 3:06 PM

Jan 2020
Funny that I was thinking about the exact same subtitle that OP put in the original thread
Apr 9, 2022 4:14 PM
Jul 2018
Nothing is funnier than bootleg subs.

Eg I had the dvd of Perinne and in the circus on one episode they said rope walking and in the subs they typed rape walking.
Apr 9, 2022 10:14 PM

Mar 2012
It's ironically funny when fan-subs don't want to translate the word but then leave the meaning of the word as a translator's note.

This shit happens because some fan-translators are incredibly stuck-up weaboos who insist that translating certain words is unfair to the Japanese culture or some religion or it's disrespecting the author. I was part of such a fan-translation group many years back.
Apr 9, 2022 10:37 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Maou_heika said:
It's ironically funny when fan-subs don't want to translate the word but then leave the meaning of the word as a translator's note.

This shit happens because some fan-translators are incredibly stuck-up weaboos who insist that translating certain words is unfair to the Japanese culture or some religion or it's disrespecting the author. I was part of such a fan-translation group many years back.

Are you a mystery fan??? Man you have taste in anime is similar to mine...
Your fav character Conrad brings back memories.. i wanted that hairstyle back then...

Apr 9, 2022 11:42 PM

May 2017
it was on some website but when AoT got to the basement ep. i saw a video that night and the first couple seconds had a banner that said "wtf are you doing here? this was literally translated from google, just wait until the morning for the official sub."
Apr 10, 2022 3:00 AM
Jul 2018
That prison school sub on youtube that somehow haven't been taken down in my native language probably.
Apr 10, 2022 9:20 AM

Feb 2016
Maou_heika said:
some fan-translators are incredibly stuck-up weaboos who insist that translating certain words is unfair to the Japanese culture or some religion or it's disrespecting the author.

Of course it never occurs to them that their translations disrespect the English language. Even paid professionals sometimes describe English as an inferior language that lacks the nuance and sophistication of Japanese.
Also, I laugh at the idea of a Japanese writer thinking that some of his words can be translated and others can't. "Isu means chair. Wanwan means doggie. But ofukuro? Such a crucial word must never be expressed in another language. Ofukuro means ofukuro." Said no one ever.
LucifrostApr 10, 2022 9:26 AM
その目だれの目?
Apr 10, 2022 9:28 AM

Mar 2013

Russian translation: "God piss on me! You failed such a moment!"

More topics from this board

» Any men who like Yaoi?

Mattenan - Aug 30

26 by BirdyTheMighty »»
1 minute ago

» "Last, Lost, Lust for Four Forgotten Episodes" or Super Robots against authoritarianism

Timeline_man - Aug 29

14 by IKKIsama »»
12 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9359 by anime-prime »»
28 minutes ago

» Serial Experiments Lain is better than your favorite anime ( 1 2 )

JoeChip - Aug 30

52 by Guilmon1 »»
42 minutes ago

» Anime You Didn't Think You'd Cry Over

Mualani - Yesterday

32 by Chuckiemuffin »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.