Forum Settings
Forums
MARS
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 18, 2011 6:25 PM

Apr 2010
I hope Rei realizes, he's better than that. Screw Masao.

Nov 18, 2012 11:48 PM

Jun 2009
I've got to say that Masao is a really interesting character.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 21, 2022 7:29 AM
Jul 2020
Ooooo boy where do I even start

I really enjoyed seeing Rei’s true colors come to light. This volume depicted perfectly that he’s not as good as he seems, and that Kira is still very naïve.

Firstly, The homophobia towards Masao was disgusting and unfortunately common in the 90s, so there was no sugar coating how the LGBT community were treated back then. Ironically, the female classmates in this chapter were angry about the homophobia and were more accepting of Masao than any of the male classmates. At the very least, Rei was decent enough to apologize to Masao for the harsh remarks, which was probably not as commonplace to do for the time.

Secondly, Masao is a great character that was introduced in this series. He is not only just as complex as Rei, but his mental health parallels with Rei’s. They both wanted people dead to benefit themselves for survival (aka Yuki and Kei). Kira, unfortunately, is stuck between the two of them and she wants to give Rei the benefit of the doubt that he’s a better person and can be forgiven for his past. She is blinded by love.

Masao killed Yuki based on the constant abuse he endured from Yuki and the gang. On the other hand, Rei KNEW that Kei could commit suicide if he introduced the idea that their lives were meaningless and taboo (like not being biologically related to their father etc). Rei took advantage of Kei’s mental health and maliciously triggered him. Rei emotionally manipulated Kei to kill himself.

Kira is naïve to the point where Rei gets a slap on the wrist for not physically killing Kei but what Masao did was monstrosity in comparison 🙄
What Rei did is just as screwed up. He knew exactly what he was doing to his brother. It was completely selfish. I really hope in the next volume Kira can finally open her eyes and face Rei’s true colors.
azenobioJun 17, 2022 12:31 AM

More topics from this board

» Volume 13

KitaTsuki - Oct 18, 2011

2 by Noir_Alchemist »»
Sep 22, 2022 5:10 PM

» Volume 9

KitaTsuki - Oct 18, 2011

3 by Noir_Alchemist »»
Sep 22, 2022 3:19 PM

» Volume 8

KitaTsuki - Oct 18, 2011

4 by Noir_Alchemist »»
Sep 22, 2022 2:40 PM

Poll: » Mars Chapter 8 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 15, 2012

1 by OnigirisBasket »»
May 19, 2022 1:35 AM

» Anime adaption- Classic or disaster?

lbunny7 - Jan 14, 2022

5 by Adampk »»
Mar 21, 2022 10:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.