Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Soul Eater
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 22, 2021 9:57 PM
Jan 2021
Soul Eater is one of my favorite series, with awesome characters, world building, writing and style. I could not put it down. There’s just one thing that kept my eyes rolling every time I saw it, and that was the fanservice. It wasn’t even semi tasteful and it always took away from this series, selling its female characters short. It tones down in later volumes of the Manga and later episodes of the anime, but if you’ve read the manga you know that the first 4 volumes or so are baked with lots of stupid fan service, and it was unbearable. This series is dated, but this problem also appears in Fire Force, an otherwise great series. Are there others out there that sort of just wish it wasn’t there? It sort of stains the series in my opinion.
Jun 23, 2021 2:02 AM
Jan 2021
When it comes to watching the anime of Soul Eater I did see the fan service especially in the first 3 eps. But I didn’t find it anywhere else in the anime at least so it didn’t affect my experience to much. Was there more fan service past the first 3 eps?
Jun 23, 2021 2:04 AM

Jun 2016
I think it fit with the comedic tone of the early episodes.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jun 23, 2021 7:47 AM
Jun 2019
Spoopy_Tutu said:
Soul Eater is one of my favorite series, with awesome characters, world building, writing and style. I could not put it down. There’s just one thing that kept my eyes rolling every time I saw it, and that was the fanservice. It wasn’t even semi tasteful and it always took away from this series, selling its female characters short. It tones down in later volumes of the Manga and later episodes of the anime, but if you’ve read the manga you know that the first 4 volumes or so are baked with lots of stupid fan service, and it was unbearable. This series is dated, but this problem also appears in Fire Force, an otherwise great series. Are there others out there that sort of just wish it wasn’t there? It sort of stains the series in my opinion.

Normally I don't really care about fan service to much, it doesn't really affect my viewing experience all that much because I'm not watching anime for any sort of sexual gratification, even in something like Prison School and HOTD where it literally shoves it down your throat I'm still paying more attention to the plot.

However, for an anime that is really really good like soul eater or fire force even though the fanservice doesn't really bother me because I know to expect it and I'm desensitized to it, it's super frustrating because it makes it next to impossible for me to recommend it to my friends who can't ignore stuff like that as easily.

In pretty much every case, I think anime would be better off foregoing fanservice unless it's going to be a full blow ecchi. Yes, it can be funny in a more lighthearted show, but I promise that the 50% of your audience you lose from a single cliche booba joke is not made up for by the other 20% that have a quick laugh, the 20% that don't care, and the 10% furiously beating off.
Jun 23, 2021 7:51 AM
Jan 2021
BurrZurrCarr said:
Spoopy_Tutu said:

Normally I don't really care about fan service to much, it doesn't really affect my viewing experience all that much because I'm not watching anime for any sort of sexual gratification, even in something like Prison School and HOTD where it literally shoves it down your throat I'm still paying more attention to the plot.

However, for an anime that is really really good like soul eater or fire force even though the fanservice doesn't really bother me because I know to expect it and I'm desensitized to it, it's super frustrating because it makes it next to impossible for me to recommend it to my friends who can't ignore stuff like that as easily.

In pretty much every case, I think anime would be better off foregoing fanservice unless it's going to be a full blow ecchi. Yes, it can be funny in a more lighthearted show, but I promise that the 50% of your audience you lose from a single cliche booba joke is not made up for by the other 20% that have a quick laugh, the 20% that don't care, and the 10% furiously beating off.
yeah I agree with you. I can usually just put up with it and I do feel you on the recommendation. “Alright this is a great series but just so you know there is fanservice, so beware” I never like doing that. It does get tiring though to just sit through all these ecchi scenes sometimes. There’s not much of a point to it honestly. Sure boobs yeah great, but is it needed?
Jun 23, 2021 7:53 AM
Jan 2021
Stuart2003 said:
When it comes to watching the anime of Soul Eater I did see the fan service especially in the first 3 eps. But I didn’t find it anywhere else in the anime at least so it didn’t affect my experience to much. Was there more fan service past the first 3 eps?
there was that scene where Blair and the mice lady were having a stand off with their boobs. That was also an eye roll.
Jun 23, 2021 7:56 AM
Jun 2019
Spoopy_Tutu said:
BurrZurrCarr said:

yeah I agree with you. I can usually just put up with it and I do feel you on the recommendation. “Alright this is a great series but just so you know there is fanservice, so beware” I never like doing that. It does get tiring though to just sit through all these ecchi scenes sometimes. There’s not much of a point to it honestly. Sure boobs yeah great, but is it needed?

It's like, I showed The Promised Neverland to my mother when she showed interest in understanding what anime was because she was always hearing me bring it up around my pals, and she thought it was amazing. Immediately started asking me for other recommendations, but I'm looking through my watchlist at all my favorite stuff, and I gotta be honest with you chief, it's slim pickings for the truly un-werid.
Jun 23, 2021 7:59 AM
Jan 2021
BurrZurrCarr said:
Spoopy_Tutu said:

It's like, I showed The Promised Neverland to my mother when she showed interest in understanding what anime was because she was always hearing me bring it up around my pals, and she thought it was amazing. Immediately started asking me for other recommendations, but I'm looking through my watchlist at all my favorite stuff, and I gotta be honest with you chief, it's slim pickings for the truly un-werid.
lmaooooo yeah I’m not too familiar with that in particular. My list is pretty clean cut for people trying to get into anime. I can send you a list of recs for newcomers, they’re also series that you just can’t go wrong with. It’s weird because I really don’t like fanservice to the point of just avoiding series that have it all together, but I just love Atsushi Ohkubos stuff so much that I just put up with it.
Jun 23, 2021 8:03 AM
Jun 2019
Spoopy_Tutu said:
BurrZurrCarr said:

lmaooooo yeah I’m not too familiar with that in particular. My list is pretty clean cut for people trying to get into anime. I can send you a list of recs for newcomers, they’re also series that you just can’t go wrong with. It’s weird because I really don’t like fanservice to the point of just avoiding series that have it all together, but I just love Atsushi Ohkubos stuff so much that I just put up with it.

Yeah sure, I'd love your recommendations dude! Feel free to send them my way
Jun 23, 2021 10:00 AM
Nov 2020
yeah!! its the only thing i dont like about the show so far :/ my younger sister has recently been asking to watch anime w me, and its sooo hard to pick stuff i can watch with her, since even k-on’s beach episode was too much for her taste. if soul eater didn’t have such weird fanservice, i’m sure she’d absolutely adore the series :(
Jun 23, 2021 1:59 PM
Jan 2021
oliviaraara said:
yeah!! its the only thing i dont like about the show so far :/ my younger sister has recently been asking to watch anime w me, and its sooo hard to pick stuff i can watch with her, since even k-on’s beach episode was too much for her taste. if soul eater didn’t have such weird fanservice, i’m sure she’d absolutely adore the series :(
I have a foolproof list of anime that can’t go wrong
Jun 23, 2021 3:40 PM

Oct 2020
People who aren't prepared to deal with fanservice, shouldn't be watching anime.
Jun 26, 2021 9:21 PM
Jun 2019
Blizzard- said:
People who aren't prepared to deal with fanservice, shouldn't be watching anime.

Idk dude, I wish it didn't have to be that was for their sake. People of all comfort levels should be able to enjoy the medium, and I think if ecchi in a show isn't necessary for the formula of the anime or the story it's trying to tell, which it rarely is, it should be omitted.

Look at how popular Attack On Titan is, a good anime with practically no fan service makes the perfect ground floor title for anyone who interested in the genera, and that's not on accident.
Oct 5, 2021 3:21 AM
Apr 2021
Blizzard- said:

That's so wrong, anime is not about fanservice. If you say that then anime is mostly about lewd stuff for horny people :/
Oct 12, 2021 1:45 AM

Oct 2020
Mistah_Avo said:
Blizzard- said:

That's so wrong, anime is not about fanservice. If you say that then anime is mostly about lewd stuff for horny people :/

Which part of my comment said that anime was about fanservice? I said if you aren't prepared to deal with fanservice in your average shounen anime then you'll have trouble watching anime since anime without fanservice is like 10% of all anime.
Oct 12, 2021 1:50 AM

Apr 2018
LOL, Soul Eater, tasteless fan service?
Guess I'll watch it after all.
My taste is trash. So is yours.
Oct 12, 2021 11:54 PM
Apr 2021
Blizzard- said:
Mistah_Avo said:

Which part of my comment said that anime was about fanservice? I said if you aren't prepared to deal with fanservice in your average shounen anime then you'll have trouble watching anime since anime without fanservice is like 10% of all anime.

"since anime without fanservice is like 10% of all anime."
That literally means that anime is (almost) have fanservice
This means that fanservice is a signature of anime. which implies that anime is about fanservice
Oct 13, 2021 1:14 AM

Oct 2020
Mistah_Avo said:
Blizzard- said:

This means that fanservice is a signature of anime. which implies that anime is about fanservice

No what the hell you talking about lol. One Piece has fanservice, but is it about fanservice? No. Fanservice exists in 90% of all anime but does the plot revolve around it? Almost never. Your getting the wrong idea here or something.
Oct 13, 2021 2:53 AM
Apr 2021
Blizzard- said:
Mistah_Avo said:

No what the hell you talking about lol. One Piece has fanservice, but is it about fanservice? No. Fanservice exists in 90% of all anime but does the plot revolve around it? Almost never. Your getting the wrong idea here or something.

Never said plot revolve around it :/
Oct 13, 2021 3:16 AM

Oct 2020
Mistah_Avo said:
Blizzard- said:

You did. Saying that I think anime is about fanservice = plot revolves around it. Your contradicting yourself here.
Oct 13, 2021 7:07 AM
Apr 2021
Blizzard- said:
Mistah_Avo said:

You did. Saying that I think anime is about fanservice = plot revolves around it. Your contradicting yourself here.

Nah, "anime is about fanservice" is not the same with "plot revolves around it", as if only story matter

also, *you're
Oct 30, 2021 6:34 PM
Dec 2017
Don't really see any kind of issue at all with it

Dec 8, 2021 4:13 PM

Dec 2021
honestly at this point I see the fan service and its kind of just there. it doesn't bother me and that's honestly for most shows. I don't pick series to watch because of it but I wont turn one of if it has some fanservice or the rogue tit here or there. Honestly we've all watched just as bad or worse in movies or other media so i don't fret over it anymore. the only time its annoying is when the story is no good which doesn't apply in the case of soul eater
💀🖤🥀˜”*°•.˜”*°•𝓘𝓯 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝔀𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓽𝓸 𝔀𝓻𝓲𝓽𝓮 𝓪 𝓼𝓽𝓸𝓻𝔂 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓶𝓮 𝓲𝓷 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓵𝓮𝓪𝓭 𝓻𝓸𝓵𝓮, 𝓲𝓽 𝔀𝓸𝓾𝓵𝓭 𝓬𝓮𝓻𝓽𝓪𝓲𝓷𝓵𝔂 𝓫𝓮... 𝓪 𝓽𝓻𝓪𝓰𝓮𝓭𝔂.•°*”˜•°*”˜💀🖤🥀

More topics from this board

Poll: » Soul Eater Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Darkreaper70 - Jun 2, 2008

145 by WispyUmbra »»
Apr 2, 1:07 PM

Poll: » Soul Eater Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xLtay - Jul 22, 2008

115 by AnimatedAddict »»
Mar 31, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Soul Eater Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

WinterNightsFall - Jul 16, 2008

101 by AnimatedAddict »»
Mar 31, 6:52 PM

Poll: » Soul Eater Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Darkreaper70 - Apr 28, 2008

116 by MORANGA »»
Mar 31, 11:36 AM

Poll: » Soul Eater Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cbkh915 - Mar 30, 2009

614 by Biisoo »»
Mar 30, 1:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.