Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 28, 2020 2:41 PM

Sep 2015
I just got around to finishing the last episode of Fruits Basket and it was epic for the most part with Kureno explaining that his curse was lifted and the fact that Akito can feel when their bond has been broken. That said, the biggest reveal/cliffhanger concerning Akito just had me in confusion.

Right at the end, Kureno tells Tohru that he'll be staying with Akito who is a fragile girl and Tohru freaks out while a semi nude Akito is shown revealing the structure of her body. Apparently this was supposed to be a huge plot twist but while watching Fruits Basket, I always thought Akito was a girl. Maybe it was due to Sakamoto Maaya voicing her but I didn't think this would be a "plot twist."

So to everyone who is an anime original or even manga fans when they first read it, were you surprised when it was "revealed" that Akito was a girl?
Sep 28, 2020 5:35 PM
May 2019
aletheiasan said:
Not really.

When I watched FruBa 2001, I thought Akito was a boy. Perhaps I was confused because she was voiced by a guy at that time.

Akito is a guy in the 2001 anime. They show his chest in the last episode too. That's one of the main reasons why a second season was never going to work. The 2001 anime put a lot of anime only / original content in the last three episodes, especially, that didn't line up with the manga storylines or character arcs. It also took out a ton of foreshadowing.
Sep 29, 2020 6:32 PM
Dec 2016
I grew up watching the original anime (in which Akito was male), and after I finished that, I eventually turned to the manga, where the reveal was a huge shock (at least for me). I feel that Takaya's art style (the style made it difficult sometimes to differentiate between genders if you weren't already familiar with the characters), as well as the lack of voices led to a much greater impact in my opinion.

I think the voice gave it away for the reboot, but I don't think there was much they could have done about that. I think the reveal might have been more of a shock for the anime originals if crunchyroll's subs didn't deliberately avoid using any pronouns when referring to Akito, and used male pronouns as it was in the manga.
Oct 21, 2020 4:37 PM
Aug 2018
Honestly I never really thought of it. I just assumed since she sounded like a guy at all there wasn't anything else to it. So it was a big shock for me being anime only and watching this finale. I'm surprised I didn't get spoiled about it.
Oct 23, 2020 10:37 AM

Oct 2019
Trust me going from the 01 Anime where Akito was outright male to the manga where you genuinely can't tell it was a big twist...

Now for the new anime both voice and appearance made it a lot easier for people to figure out Akito's gender and the sub's for some reason avoided using pronouns at all costs (the manga called Akito "he") leaving a lot of people confused
It was a pretty bad decision imo as some people (such as yourself) never even realized Akito was supposed to be seen as male by the others
Jun 23, 2021 10:38 AM
Feb 2021
based on the last ep. of season 2, I feel like anime is going in the 'forgive akito and make friends' and 'akito has good reasons for being a piece of shit' direction. I seriously hate it. Hope it is not so

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Aug 3, 2020

162 by haniayasmine »»
Apr 21, 3:29 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Aug 17, 2020

74 by anijumper44 »»
Apr 3, 4:41 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2020

239 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 25, 12:12 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2020

141 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 24, 10:27 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jul 27, 2020

90 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 24, 8:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.