Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 24, 2017 10:28 AM
May 2017
I want to see more characters like Yukari Yukino from Garden of Words or Aya Okamura from Someones Gaze. Preferably mid - late 20's female leads with relatable flaws. I guess slice of life/drama types but I don't mind fantasies if they aren't too action/spacey. Any recommendations?
May 24, 2017 10:45 AM

Jan 2012
NANA!

Its so good and very relatable. They're all older and its about two girls who are both named Nana and end up roommates in Tokyo ( I believe Tokyo ).

They're all over 20+ even side characters (Except one but thats just the one character lol)

Its definitely more Drama but it does have Romance and a huge emphasis on Music as well.

Its so good. Please watch it :(
May 24, 2017 4:07 PM
May 2017
Thank you! This is the kind of thing I'm looking for x
May 24, 2017 4:26 PM

May 2015
Hataraki Man

All of the characters in this anime are over 20, with the MC being 28. It centers on a woman and her experiences in her job as a magazine editor. Depending on your preferences, you will find this anime either dull or very engaging. I personally liked it though since it shows the realistic portrayal of a woman's struggles in her job as well as her love life.
May 24, 2017 6:00 PM
Jul 2018
Kuragehime. Some characters are older women with no jobs.
May 25, 2017 7:21 AM

May 2012
I'm going to try and be extensive here since "josei" material is so hard to find.

+Hataraki Man
+Kuragehime

However the show you really want to watch is Otona Joshi no Anime Time, an anthology of four stories by female writers where the characters are between 28 and 40. The stories range from funny to bittersweet to disturbing. Once you've watched this, you'll wish more josei material made it to anime.

SHIROBAKO and the current Sakura Quest follow young women in their early to mid twenties. In the first, the ladies are trying to enter the anime industry; in Sakura Quest, they are trying to resuscitate tourism in a rural town.

Seirei no Moribito is a fantasy adventure set in what looks to be medieval Korea. The heroine, Balsa, is a 30-yo spear-wielding bodyguard who is tasked with protecting a young prince targeted for assassination. There's also an excellent live-action adaptation out there with material from the later novels; it's final season airs this fall.

Some of the characters in Death Parade are probably in their thirties, though the show isn't really about that stage of life like Otona Joshi is.

Genji Monogatari Sennenki is a beautifully-illustrated, though slow-moving adaptation of the famous "Tale of Genji" by the Lady Murasaki, considered the world's first novel. Genji himself is, of course, male, but the story concerns his various amorous relationships. Most of his romantic partners are in their twenties or older.

Kaguya-hime no Monogatari is an adaptation of the famous Japanese folk tale about a girl who was discovered inside a bamboo shoot. Much of the story takes place when she is in her twenties and of marriageable age.

Another recent film, Miss Hokusai, focuses on the famous painter Hokusai and his adult daughter who is probably in her twenties.

Kon Satoshi's film, Millennium Actress, follows the career of a B-movie actress over the course of twentieth century Japan. Most of the film takes place when she is in your target age range.

Maria in Junketsu no Maria is probably the right age, but she's a witch. She is seeking to use her powers to bring an end to the Hundred Years War. Minor ecchi and a romance.

Michiko to Hatchin is an adventure story about a woman in her mid-thirties who has escaped from prison. She grabs a young girl whom she believes is the daughter of her lost lover (and maybe her own child), and the two of them set off across Brazil in search of the guy.

Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna is another story about a female thief. Fujiko is a recurring character in the Lupin series, but here she gets a show of her own. Like Michiko, it's directed by Yamamoto Sayo, one of the few active and acclaimed female directors in anime. (She also made Yuri on ICE!!.)

Finally, I'll mention Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo, a stylish adventure starring the drop-dead gorgeous head of the "Supernatural Division" of the Tokyo Police and her male subordinate. The first half is a "monster-of-the-week" type of story, but there's more meat in second half.

SeijiSenseiMay 25, 2017 7:26 AM
May 29, 2017 2:30 PM
May 2017
This is so helpful, thanks. I'm starting on Sakura Quest because job troubles are too relatable right now. Yeah, I'm basically going to watch all of this :) x

More topics from this board

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone/genre/theme of sci-fi/futuristic/post apocalyptic/modern times + fantasy/medieval/magic/old times?

Donkunsan - Apr 18

34 by JoeChip »»
47 minutes ago

» Looking for an Anime like the game "Rival Schools".

reigningslash - Apr 22

3 by JoeChip »»
58 minutes ago

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - Apr 18

9 by JoeChip »»
60 minutes ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - Apr 25

5 by JoeChip »»
1 hour ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

10 by JoeChip »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.