New
Jul 7, 2016 3:32 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Just thought about posting this when i saw that on ANN
Pretty sure no one gives a shit anymore but eh

MasumeYoshimoto said:
I apologize for my previous remarks, which needlessly made the situation a bigger deal.
Also, regarding the final episode's script, I participated in the composition meeting, and when we asked what to do for the final episode, I proposed something like, "How about going to Sendai? Then Machi gets into an accident, Natsu hurries by car to save her, they get back together at the climax of the story, and it ends." If there are people who feel uncomfortable with corresponding sections, it's my responsibility. I am sorry.
I may not have to say this, but the anime has intense action, sex appeal, cute gestures, and, of course, well-balanced sakuga that can't be expressed in the manga. It has original elements, characters and pastoral village scenery I couldn't draw. It has many wonderful highlights.
These gifts are the hard work of none other than the anime staff, and they did their best up until the end.
I want to convey my appreciation for all their work. Thank you very much.

''The official Kumamiko anime website also made a post clarifying that the anime received approval from the original creator, the editors at Monthly Comic Flapper (the magazine the manga is published in), the director, writer, animation staff and production committee.''

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-07-07/kumamiko-manga-creator-apologizes-for-anime-ending/.104063
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 25, 2016 3:52 PM
Sep 2009
Thanks for the link.

Found this interesting comment in the forum by Archytechie08:

"No this is not true. The anime is generally commissioned by a consortium; which is mostly initiated by the manga artist's publisher (who believes the anime will help sell more manga), joined by a figure/goods (makes keychains, ufo prizes, coin bags) manufacturer, anime studio (who receives the bulk of the dvd sales), television station, hobby (anime/manga) magazine (who gets exclusive articles about the show published in their magazine), and whoever else feels they can benefit from the anime being produced. It being made has nothing to do with the original manga artist at all. In fact most manga artists (from what I understand by reading Japanese articles about it) are mostly indifferent about the anime and often think their manga work is superior to it.

To be honest, I can see why for a few reasons. The amount of control a manga artists has is mostly as a consultant. Only those whose work is highly regarded (either due to extreme popularity or being highly respected) get a chance to write the script or have any tangible influence over the production. These manga artists tend to be workoholics, extremely detail orientated people, or people bored/on hiatus with their manga work and wish for a new challenge. They are also viewed as interlopers by the anime studio. A manga artist may be a master of print but do not understand the unique dynamics of animated production. Therefore, they will clash. It's only natural.

However most of the time, manga artists have extremely little involvement. Which makes sense because manga artists whose work is still on-going, may not have the time to aid an animation staff due to weekly deadline commitments. Secondly, manga is more respected in Japan than anime. So a prolific manga always outlives its anime adaptations. Being so, a manga artist would rather spend their time creating good manga than worry about its anime. Therefore, their amount of "consulting" is done just enough to satisfy their contractual obligations; anime studios need the manga artist to participate to some extent, due to Japanese intellectual laws and to prevent blame if the anime is a mess (because they can say the creator was apart of making it).

Thirdly, the paid isn't very good at all. I read several Japanese articles that suggests manga artists with short anime series are paid a royalty of $150 - $300 per episode. The famous manga artists with longer running series may receive $1000 - $5000 per episode. Manga artists low pay for anime series is justified by the higher royalties they receive from book sales. On average book royalties are 10% of book sales. For example,Eiichiro Oda, the One Piece manga artist, makes only $160,000 USD per year from the One Piece Anime but gets $13.5 million USD from book royalties(http://laughy.jp/1418819870285108008). Oda is very lucky that his work is extremely mainstream. So his money from merchandise is $3 million higher than his book royalties. This is pretty rare as manga merchandise money is extremely low for even the most prolific manga artists. Other than One Piece, Detective Conan, Gintama, Sailor Moon, & Dragon Ball are the only other exceptions I can thing of.

This is the complete opposite for American comic book creators (who still own the rights to their works). Americans tend to prefer tv/movies over books.Therefore the richest ones receive the most money through tv/movie adaptations and merchandise sales. Their book royalties tend to be the lesser of all their revenue sources. While they may not be involved in the 3rd party stuff. They have heavily compensated for it vs the Japanese artist. So I do not cry for any comic creator who bemoans their work was "ruined" by a movie. Converting something into a different median (static images to motion pictures) require different approaches and different expertise. So of course, a movie based on a comic is going to play out differently than its original source. Not to mention, interpretations based on an original work is always going to have issues. Stephen King hates "The Shinning" movie ( a movie based off his book) but yet most movie critics consider Stanley Kubrick's interpretation as a masterpiece.

Finally, the belief that anime is always inferior to the manga and only serves as a commercial for its original works. Therefore,even terrible anime adaptations may cause a manga to sell well. So the bad ending for Kumamiko could be a good thing for the manga artist because people may be curious to see if the manga is as bad as the show. Him publishing "pseudo-apologies" ( public Japanese figures are masters at issuing these) may be an indirect way for him to get press for his work."

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2016

219 by Forum »»
Feb 29, 4:53 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2016

72 by Forum »»
Feb 29, 4:38 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2016

55 by HanamiDango »»
Jan 26, 2022 10:43 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2016

63 by HanamiDango »»
Jan 24, 2022 11:07 PM

Poll: » Kuma Miko Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

92 by HanamiDango »»
Jan 16, 2022 11:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.