Forum Settings
Forums
New
4 hours ago

Nov 2010
I know what you're thinking.

"Those damn delusional One Piece fanboys are giving this unwarranted 10/10's, to get it to the top. This doesn't deserve to be there!"

But if that is the truth, how come none of the other 25+ specials and movies ever even got close to a 9.00 average?

The anwser is simple, they didn't get there, because their weren't that good.

And "One Piece Fan Letter" IS. THAT. GOOD

It doesn't even have that much to do with it being One Piece, really. This is just a happy coincidence that people who created this masterpiece happned to flex their skills in this particular franchise.

The main of those people is of course none other that the absolute GOAT talent Megumi Ishitani, who has become to be known in One Piece fanbase as the most talented director to ever work on this anime.

And if that wasn't enough, she was joined by another GOAT talent, animator Keisuke Mori, who brought her vision to life.

This score is not this high because it's One Piece. It's because two absolute beasts, one director and one animator, joined forces to create this masterpiece of an episode. This score is for THEM.

The episode itself is such a masterclass of directing that it's hard to wrap my head around just how effective it is in what it wants to do.

This is a kind of episode that filmmaking fans will take and create a 2-hour long analysis videos on youtube just to dissect it scene by scene in order to find out just how amazingly well it is directed.

"Let's show all these grand events and characters from the perspective of an average joe" is not some revolutionary idea, but the way it has been executed in this special is astonishing. It doesn't just show some stories of normal people. When you watch this, you FEEL like YOU are an average joe in the One Piece world. The camera angeles, the sound design, the scene direction are so freaking good it boggles the mind. The Marineford scenes with the brother marines are spectacular and the best example of that, but another strong example is Brook's concert where you feel as if you were a fan attending the show thanks to those low camera shots in the singing crowd.

Everytime a top tier character appears you just feel how larger than life they are. The weight of that is palpable. This is achieved for example by not showing the characters' full faces, not putting focus on them in the frame, or showing them from a distance.

Then there of course is the puzzle symbolism.

The story itself about powerless in world of powerful, about Strawhats being an inspiration to live freely, that light and bringers of the dawn not only for the world at large, but also for personal lives of singular average joes, is simple yet so well conveyed.

Honstly, this episode can't be fully understood if you haven't watched/read the whole pre-timeskip One Piece. It's such a subversion of the events we know, a dramatic and effective shift of perspectives. You have to know what is being subverted in order to get the subversion.

I could go on and on, and this is a mere 24-minute special. There is so much artistry and love put into this, it's just amazing. A true masterpiece that well deserves the score it has.
Dahaka_3 hours ago
4 hours ago
Mar 2023
If you look at this and you get impressed by the direction you need to watch more animes 😭
4 hours ago
Jun 2023
Reply to Gui_silva23
If you look at this and you get impressed by the direction you need to watch more animes 😭
@Gui_silva23 I have seen a lot of well directed anime and this is an incredible masterpiece
4 hours ago
Nov 2020
Gui_silva23 said:

I had watched over 200+ Anime you can check my account for yourself, I legitimately agreed that this is one of the best "Special Episode" of any anime I had ever watched. I couldn't blink for second while I was watching every scene just get better and better.
4 hours ago
Nov 2016
I can't wait for the next special, One Piece: Unclogging the Toilet, it will reach the top 1 too, flushing those turds will never look this good, it will have crazy good animation, and sakuga, One Piece fans rejoice! oh my god, I can't wait!
4 hours ago

Nov 2010
Good to see kindergarten-level retors with zero arguments. It just shows you have no ammo to discredit this episode.
4 hours ago
Aug 2017
Reply to xZabuzax
I can't wait for the next special, One Piece: Unclogging the Toilet, it will reach the top 1 too, flushing those turds will never look this good, it will have crazy good animation, and sakuga, One Piece fans rejoice! oh my god, I can't wait!
@xZabuzax have you even watched/read one piece?
4 hours ago
Aug 2017
@Accelerator545 I think you are replying to the wrong person
3 hours ago
Oct 2022
xZabuzax said:

man i saw ur account u have just 150 something completed anime and u can hate one piece this has became a trend huuuh
3 hours ago
Oct 2022
Gui_silva23 said:

this was masterpiece u have any issue with that brat huuuh,
3 hours ago
Nov 2016
Reply to sDluffy
xZabuzax said:

man i saw ur account u have just 150 something completed anime and u can hate one piece this has became a trend huuuh

@sDluffy I have way more than 150-something animes completed, way more, I simply don't bother updating my anime list, I don't even bother uploading a profile picture.

But I'm not even hating on One Piece, I'm actually praising it, just think of the sakuga when those turds get flushed in that toilet, the story behind that stinky toilet will be so good that I have no doubt it will reach top 1 too, man, I can't wait to have the same team that made this special on it.
2 hours ago
Apr 2023
no ( character limit)
2 hours ago
Oct 2017
Reply to Gui_silva23
@Gui_silva23 https://x.com/NEBU_KURO/status/1847930577493569861?t=I2cYA54r0zCoSxMczWROnQ&s=19
I guess you know more than murata
2 hours ago
Nov 2019
Gui_silva23 said:

speak again when u have watched over 5k hours of anime.... its the best special Episode an anime can have and yes i watched over 10k episodes of different animes, any other problems...
1 hour ago
Nov 2022
xZabuzax said:

Tf bro 🤣🤣🤣🤣😂🤣🤣
1 hour ago
Oct 2022
xZabuzax said:

@sDluffy I have way more than 150-something animes completed, way more, I simply don't bother updating my anime list, I don't even bother uploading a profile picture.

But I'm not even hating on One Piece, I'm actually praising it, just think of the sakuga when those turds get flushed in that toilet, the story behind that stinky toilet will be so good that I have no doubt it will reach top 1 too, man, I can't wait to have the same team that made this special on it.

just how much ? man
1 hour ago

Jun 2011
Reply to Gui_silva23
@Gui_silva23 I'd like to believe I've watched enough anime to say that Megumi Ishitani is one of the greatest at her job.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
1 hour ago

Jun 2011
@Accelerator545 Is that the One Punch Man and Eyeshield 21 artist, that Murata? I knew he's got great taste!
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
40 minutes ago

Apr 2022
Reply to Gui_silva23
@Gui_silva23 not even funny to joke about this, megumi is just one of the best.

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Fan Letter Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - Oct 19

149 by cenarules43 »»
13 minutes ago

» Review Bombing Has Started

dymable - 10 hours ago

39 by Piniv »»
16 minutes ago

» Peak?

MoshiMoss_ - Oct 19

34 by Peak_Piece44 »»
3 hours ago

» A new perspective

Vorticem51 - Yesterday

3 by Mahendra496 »»
3 hours ago

» The bots rumbling is here

Fynel - Yesterday

26 by aurora_yuuki »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.