New
What's your favorite of the new themes?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Yesterday, 10:08 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Zarutaku
Well, if you start nitpicking then let me join :P

Lucifrost said:
By your logic they should simply call it "adult," since "character-descriptive theme names are already implicitly referring to the MCs."
They could, but then too many people would think about "adult themes" such as sex.

Lucifrost said:
Adventure, comedy, romance, girls love, sport, and childcare are not words that describe people.
They describe what the characters are doing, which is part of a character description. "They are on an adventure.", "They are in a romance.", "They are doing sports.", "They are doing childcare."
Zarutaku said:
They could, but then too many people would think about "adult themes" such as sex.

Are you saying it's fine to use detailed language if a shortened name is ambiguous? Perhaps we could do the same with "villainess!"

Zarutaku said:
They describe what the characters are doing, which is part of a character description. "They are on an adventure.", "They are in a romance.", "They are doing sports.", "They are doing childcare."

And a "vampire" theme often describes the act of slaying vampires. Yet the "villainess" theme is not meant to describe someone who slays a villainess, even though that is usually what one does with a villainess.

その目だれの目?
Yesterday, 10:24 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to Lucifrost
FanofAction said:
I think dark fantasy would fit certain series that currently don't have the regular fantasy tag but could be considered as such.

What are some dark fantasy anime that lack the fantasy tag?
@Lucifrost Mostly vampire stuff. I think vampires are in that area where they can count as horror/supernatural and fantasy. Maybe that's just me.
Yesterday, 10:27 AM

Mar 2012
Except for WataOshi I've liked all Villainess isekai so far so I'll go with that.
Yesterday, 10:38 AM

Sep 2018
Lucifrost said:
I'm complaining about the new theme's name, not it's existence. While it doesn't need to specify details covered by other tags, "villainess" alone is too vague.

Since we're already using a Japanese word for Isekai, a possible solution would be doing the same for the villainess subgenre: it's "Akuyaku Reijou" in Japan. Some people are using "Otome Isekai", but it's not the way these stories are called in Japan.
Yesterday, 10:39 AM

Jul 2021
Villainess is a valid one.
Love status quo is basically a red flag to not watch,
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Yesterday, 11:51 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to Lucifrost
Zarutaku said:

Are you saying it's fine to use detailed language if a shortened name is ambiguous? Perhaps we could do the same with "villainess!"

Zarutaku said:

And a "vampire" theme often describes the act of slaying vampires. Yet the "villainess" theme is not meant to describe someone who slays a villainess, even though that is usually what one does with a villainess.

@Lucifrost Probably there aren't enough people who consider it as ambiguous and the admins don't want to extend the name unnecessarily.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Yesterday, 4:44 PM

Jan 2021
Urban Fantasy.

It's an interesting setting/theme of its own, and through a quick glance, I see many shows I like, but it surely doesn't help that the only Villainess anime I saw was mediocre while the Love Status Quo tends to create a lot of annoying moments.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
9 hours ago
Jul 2024
Zarutaku said:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/83/Villainess
https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/82/Urban_Fantasy
https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/74/Love_Status_Quo (formerly Romantic Subtext)

What do you think about these themes?

Personally I'm most curious about the villainess theme, whereas the love status quo theme seems as redundant as romantic subtext was before, it should just be merged with the romance genre already, because that's what it actually is.

Agreed. Romantic subtext whenever I saw it always seemed to be used for stuff that was just straight up romance. Romantic subtext might fit something like Guilty Crown but not Giji Harem like it was classified.
8 hours ago

Aug 2020
I guess my favorite is Love Status Quo. I'm a huge sucker for the romance genre and I assume this new theme mostly houses the teasing subcategory. Some thing that does surprise me is Villainess got its own category (a little early I think). There's like less than 20 shows lol imo it's a little too small. Maybe in the next 5ish years I could see it becoming it's own niche.
"Bro, if you set your mind to it. You can jack off to anything."
☆☆☆☆☆
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» My MAL review removal story

lostsymphonies - Aug 16

11 by deg »»
1 minute ago

» Is watching anime the main part of your personality?

Cammell - Aug 13

25 by hazecloud »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » do 'no-kill policy' MCs get on your nerves? ( 1 2 )

ame - Aug 11

64 by hazecloud »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you have real feelings toward your waifu?

Zakatsuki_ - Oct 2

13 by luffysenchou »»
4 minutes ago

» Summer hidden gems

JaniSIr - Yesterday

20 by deg »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.