Forum Settings
Forums

Why is everything teenagers when it doesn’t need to be?

New
5 hours ago
Feb 2015
Dragon Ball Z, One Punch Man, Fist of the North Star, Kaiju no 8, Frieren. All examples of Shonen with adult main characters that are smash hits, yet the vast vast majority of Shonen insist on having it be kids in highschool. Goku started off as a kid but then after a few timeskips he was an adult and imo that was what refreshed the story and made DBZ such a good second half. Now you have this well developed adult character where we know why he’s strong and we know why he has the friends he has and lives the way he does. More shonen could do this, Naruto could have had Naruto remain the main character and continue to get stronger like Goku and I love Boruto but imo it’s a missed opportunity still.

Bleach could have aged Ichigo up and had him continue being the main character and become like adult Goku. Chainsaw Man could do this with Denji. Etc.

Idk why there is this obsession with keeping the characters so young when we have a multitude of examples where adult shonen protagonists have been done so well, ESPECIALLY Dragon Ball Z with Goku and Vegeta being these super-powered family men. And Dragon Ball is so old now and yet still no manga has done something similar with it’s characters.
5 hours ago

May 2024
It just makes it an easier success. Yeah you got big shonen titles with adults casts, but they're too few in comparison to teenage casts. Mangaka write with the intention of making the most money and their works becoming as popular as they can. Besides, the target audience is kids.
5 hours ago
Feb 2015
tl;dr/summarized by chatgpt

Dragon Ball Z, One Punch Man, Fist of the North Star, Kaiju No. 8, and Frieren all feature adult protagonists and are hugely successful. Despite this, most Shonen manga focus on young characters, often in high school. Goku's growth from a child to an adult in Dragon Ball Z revitalized the series, providing depth to his character and story. Other series, like Naruto, Bleach, and Chainsaw Man, could benefit from allowing their protagonists to mature similarly. The success of adult characters, especially Goku and Vegeta as powerful family men, highlights the missed potential in keeping Shonen characters perpetually young.
5 hours ago

Jun 2024
Because Shonen Jump was aim at teenage boys mostly fans are teenage boys so that they can relate to them to have a teenage Mc with power is there power fantasy. Dragon Ball has a Adult because at time all shonen use to be adult protagonist like City Hunter, Fist of the North Star, is there idol but now time was different they want to relate to there age.
5 hours ago
Sep 2016
Because have better things to be doing than to save the world lol
How can i find the time to fight some alien when i got like a mortgage.
5 hours ago
Feb 2015
Reply to SimplyBrazen
It just makes it an easier success. Yeah you got big shonen titles with adults casts, but they're too few in comparison to teenage casts. Mangaka write with the intention of making the most money and their works becoming as popular as they can. Besides, the target audience is kids.
@SimplyBrazen I’m sick of hearing this target audience kids thing, anime is huge, go to any anime convention it’s mostly adults. The anime community is incredibly diverse and most successful mangas run for many years so the audience is going to grow up obviously. For example Dragon Ball started out more childish but ran for many years and did seem to mature with its audience somewhat. I don’t understand why everyone is so cynical about the mass appeal of the anime/manga medium. Everyone talks about anime as if it isn’t a massive worldwide phenomenon that is directly competing with “adult” media.
Krystopher5 hours ago
5 hours ago
5 hours ago

May 2024
Reply to Krystopher
@SimplyBrazen I’m sick of hearing this target audience kids thing, anime is huge, go to any anime convention it’s mostly adults. The anime community is incredibly diverse and most successful mangas run for many years so the audience is going to grow up obviously. For example Dragon Ball started out more childish but ran for many years and did seem to mature with its audience somewhat. I don’t understand why everyone is so cynical about the mass appeal of the anime/manga medium. Everyone talks about anime as if it isn’t a massive worldwide phenomenon that is directly competing with “adult” media.
@Krystopher We're talking of shonen here not anime as a whole. And the main audience is still Japan, not the west. That's why stuff like isekai is so popular despite western audiences not liking it.
4 hours ago

Jan 2021
This is why Seinen is the true answer. More adult plots, more adult casts make for generally more interesting shows.
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
4 hours ago
Feb 2015
Reply to AnimePedestrian
This is why Seinen is the true answer. More adult plots, more adult casts make for generally more interesting shows.
@AnimePedestrian The thing with Seinen is it seems to try shove as much gore and sex in as possible to differentiate it from shonen which is already gory but often times forgets to actually make the plot interesting. There are exceptions like the GOAT Berserk but usually it seems Shonen have the coolest fights and the most addicting stories. Also in Japan EVERYONE reads Shonen Jump because they just have been for so long, it’s the classic magazine that had Dragon Ball and still has One Piece. Seinen is generally published in more obscure magazines and thus struggles to get attention.
4 hours ago

Jan 2021
Reply to Krystopher
@AnimePedestrian The thing with Seinen is it seems to try shove as much gore and sex in as possible to differentiate it from shonen which is already gory but often times forgets to actually make the plot interesting. There are exceptions like the GOAT Berserk but usually it seems Shonen have the coolest fights and the most addicting stories. Also in Japan EVERYONE reads Shonen Jump because they just have been for so long, it’s the classic magazine that had Dragon Ball and still has One Piece. Seinen is generally published in more obscure magazines and thus struggles to get attention.
@Krystopher I mean shows like Berserk, Monster, Psycho Pass, Vinland Saga, Fate/Zero are so damn good.

Don't get me wrong Shounen has some good stand ours, FMAB, HxH and often I find it's as simple as not having a high school focus. Or no high school at all.
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
4 hours ago
Feb 2015
Reply to AnimePedestrian
@Krystopher I mean shows like Berserk, Monster, Psycho Pass, Vinland Saga, Fate/Zero are so damn good.

Don't get me wrong Shounen has some good stand ours, FMAB, HxH and often I find it's as simple as not having a high school focus. Or no high school at all.
@AnimePedestrian yeah once highschool is involved it’s like bruh, it’s like that one arc in the Buu Saga where Gohan goes to highschool but never leaving moving on.
4 hours ago

Jun 2019
Target audience.

And think about it like this from a sales and marketing perspective: Every single person who ever lived who is an adult has been a teenager and every age younger than their current age. No teenager or younger child has ever been an adult. Therefore, even though a teenager or child cast series may be unrelatable to many adults, they are still probably more relatable to a higher percentage of adults than the other way around (than adult cast series are to many teens).

Myself, this caring about it doesn't really apply to and I honestly can't relate as I was watching a lot of adult cast stuff as a child and enjoying as well as immersing/identifying it with just fine, and as an adult have no problems doing the same with personal enjoyment of and insertion into teen and even younger children-centric series. But I'm probably in the minority in that regard due to looser/weak sense of group identity, including weak association with same age demographic which has always been the case for me.
4 hours ago

Jul 2022
There's an old adage about "writing what you know," so maybe there are tons of high school settings since just about everyone attended at one point or another.

Setting your story in high school also makes it easy to raise the stakes since it's relatable to your audience and even the smallest things seem like life-or-death situations when you're that age.
4 hours ago

Mar 2008
Because teenagers still have hope while older get crushed by society.
3 hours ago

Feb 2016
Reply to Krystopher
Krystopher said:
The thing with Seinen is it seems to try shove as much gore and sex in as possible to differentiate it from shonen which is already gory but often times forgets to actually make the plot interesting. There are exceptions like the GOAT Berserk

You mean Berserk doesn't have gore and sex? I've heard otherwise. Oishinbo is another seinen anime without gore or sex; I highly recommend it. 👌
その目だれの目?
3 hours ago
Feb 2015
Reply to Lucifrost
Krystopher said:
The thing with Seinen is it seems to try shove as much gore and sex in as possible to differentiate it from shonen which is already gory but often times forgets to actually make the plot interesting. There are exceptions like the GOAT Berserk

You mean Berserk doesn't have gore and sex? I've heard otherwise. Oishinbo is another seinen anime without gore or sex; I highly recommend it. 👌
@Lucifrost I like the gore and sex I’m just saying sometimes that’s ALL it has. We need more like Berserk and less like Prison School.
3 hours ago

Dec 2018
Because they are all shonen, it is in the name of the genre itself that the protagonists must be young and the main target of those manga in Japan are teenagers, so the mangakas try to create protagonists who are closer to the average reader to sell more. Imagine Deku as a forty-year-old obsessed with superheroes, considered a failure by his colleagues and who cannot find a job in the sector he's interested in despite his commitment, he would not inspire any sympathy from the older audience and the younger ones would not relate to him.

Furthermore, in my personal opinion, I think that many adults also love shonen with a school setting because they give a sense of nostalgia and idealize a period that for many was the most carefree of their lives.
3 hours ago
Feb 2015
Reply to traed
Because teenagers still have hope while older get crushed by society.
@traed Which is why it would be inspiring go have more stories about adults overcoming these relatable struggles of adult life in a convincing way.
3 hours ago
Dec 2022
Simply put value/cultural differences; Japan often prefer youthfulness while over here in the west being mature and adultlike is preferred. Besides, Japan often looks fondly of their childhood-high school years since once they reach adulthood, they often get hit hard with how harsh the working life can be, to the point they have their own word for working themselves to death called Karoshi.
Psyzzy3 hours ago
3 hours ago

Apr 2020

All the series you mentioned are shonen so their target audiance are teenagers also japanese tend to have a more romantic idea of their school life in general because their adult life can be pretty brutal (especially when it comes to work) its the same reason why there are so many anime with highschool setting.
3 hours ago

Dec 2020
Because the intended audience empathizes more when th characters are their age and that makes them sell more. As simple as that.
"Those words are meant for those that dare defy god's final warning... An epigraph of their stubbornness"
- Maho Hiyajo (Steins;Gate 0)
3 hours ago

Sep 2016
Because it yields more profit on average.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.

More topics from this board

» Any Anime about Break dancing?

Old_School_Akira - Aug 16

13 by Naho2863 »»
5 seconds ago

» Regarding anime/manga endings.

__Son_Gohan - 1 hour ago

5 by Zarutaku »»
5 minutes ago

» Do "pure ecchi fans" even exist? And for those who do, why? ( 1 2 )

AMBITZZ - Aug 19

60 by Tropisch »»
20 minutes ago

» How do you, personally, determine an anime's rating? ( 1 2 )

nsav - Aug 18

51 by Toooooooooohru »»
32 minutes ago

» Are you jealous on other people's waifus?

Catalano - Aug 14

22 by Zakatsuki_ »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.