Forum Settings
Forums

High School Anime: Why It Resonates Differently with Indian and Asian Fans

New
Jul 20, 9:24 PM
Oct 2020
I've noticed a recurring sentiment among Western anime fans: they often express frustration about the prevalence of high school settings in anime. The common complaint is that their high school experience wasn't as enjoyable or relatable as depicted in anime. However, I've observed that this sentiment doesn't hold as strongly among Indian anime fans, and it seems to align more closely with the experiences of Japanese fans.

In many Asian cultures, including India, high school is often seen as a memorable and formative period of life. Elements such as homemade lunch boxes, secret meeting spots, morning assemblies, and school festivals are common across many Asian high schools. These aspects of school life create a sense of nostalgia and fond memories, making high school anime particularly resonant.

In contrast, I've noticed that high schools in the US and other Western countries often have different cultural and structural dynamics. This might explain why the adult fanbase in these regions tends to call for anime settings that are outside of high school. The disconnect between their real-life experiences and the idealized portrayals in anime can make these settings feel less relatable.

I'm curious to hear from other fans: Do you agree with this observation? How do your own high school experiences shape your enjoyment of high school anime?
Jul 20, 9:35 PM

Jul 2019
I feel like western schools are far more focused on school sports teams, which is something you don't see a lot in anime. The club and school festivals seem to be the driving force of most anime high school interactions. Sure, western schools have pep rallies and stuff too, but even those are almost always centered around supporting one of the many sports teams the school has. Clubs always felt way more optional in western schools, where it seems like in Japanese schools' kids are far more encouraged to participate in clubs and other school activates.

So in the west, if you really weren't involved in any kind of sport team or something, there really isn't much directly about school that you remember. It would mostly be whatever activities or friends you hung out with outside of school that you were nostalgic about, not the school itself. Now obviously anime, like most stories, heavily romanticize things, so it's hard to make a direct comparison, and I can only speak from what little I've gathered watching it.
Jul 20, 9:43 PM

May 2019
Because high-school sucks in western countries whereas it's awesome in asian countries.
Jul 20, 10:05 PM

Feb 2016
KN_is_otaku said:
In contrast, I've noticed that high schools in the US and other Western countries often have different cultural and structural dynamics. This might explain why the adult fanbase in these regions tends to call for anime settings that are outside of high school. The disconnect between their real-life experiences and the idealized portrayals in anime can make these settings feel less relatable.

I'd say my own American school life more closely resembled anime schools than Hollywood schools. I only dislike anime schools when they are all too often shoehorned into stories.
LucifrostJul 20, 10:45 PM
その目だれの目?
Jul 20, 10:08 PM

Nov 2021
Yeah there was no clubs or anything when I went to HS in America. People either played sports or did drugs, nothing in between really.
Jul 20, 10:10 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to Jackson1333
I feel like western schools are far more focused on school sports teams, which is something you don't see a lot in anime. The club and school festivals seem to be the driving force of most anime high school interactions. Sure, western schools have pep rallies and stuff too, but even those are almost always centered around supporting one of the many sports teams the school has. Clubs always felt way more optional in western schools, where it seems like in Japanese schools' kids are far more encouraged to participate in clubs and other school activates.

So in the west, if you really weren't involved in any kind of sport team or something, there really isn't much directly about school that you remember. It would mostly be whatever activities or friends you hung out with outside of school that you were nostalgic about, not the school itself. Now obviously anime, like most stories, heavily romanticize things, so it's hard to make a direct comparison, and I can only speak from what little I've gathered watching it.
Jackson1333 said:
So in the west, if you really weren't involved in any kind of sport team or something, there really isn't much directly about school that you remember. It would mostly be whatever activities or friends you hung out with outside of school that you were nostalgic about, not the school itself.

But many school anime are about friends hanging out, just as you described. That's what makes them so easy to relate to.
その目だれの目?
Jul 20, 10:18 PM

Feb 2018

Aggressive Machismo and Cynical Individualism tends to dominate American/Western Teenage School Life.

Anime's Typically Asian emphasis on Group Harmony and Idealism predictably rubs most westerners as "Wimpy" "Childish" and altogether Unrealistic...
Jul 20, 10:59 PM

Jun 2016
I don't see anything special with Indian high schools. We also had the fun school activities OP mentions but I stopped liking high school anime after a certain age. Maybe adult life in India and east asia sucks more than it does here so people feel more nostalgic about their school lives.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jul 21, 1:28 AM

Sep 2016
Because they need to make good memories in school to endure the work life afterwards.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 21, 4:26 AM

Aug 2017
I don't think its a Western or Asian thing, i think it depends more if you prefer to relate to hs characters, self-insert in hs characters, if you relate the setting or if you like setting.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 21, 4:36 AM
Oct 2020
Reply to Theo1899
I don't see anything special with Indian high schools. We also had the fun school activities OP mentions but I stopped liking high school anime after a certain age. Maybe adult life in India and east asia sucks more than it does here so people feel more nostalgic about their school lives.
@Theo1899 there is nothing special about Indian high schools, I am just saying the culture and ideology mostly resembles that of Japanese high school hence it is more relatable, whereas any western high school show is not so much we just watch it for the drama. Whereas if you watch an anime, you can literally spot the similarities that happened during your own high school days. Every time I bring this up with my western friends, they always say either high school sucked or they didn’t have the same kind of things happen to them. Like school sports festivals are almost identical, clubs not so much but other things like eating together in lunch and seeing what lunch each person packed for each other, changing the uniform just a bit to stand out, meeting up in our own spots, stairway, under a tree in the ground every group had its own spot (like the rooftop in most anime)in between classes, etc. even tho it’s not one to one, it’s pretty accurate.
4 hours ago

Jan 2018
school is a place to date if you ain't studying. club activities can be a miss for most cause high achiever wouldn't stick to anime for very long

More topics from this board

» If you could do one major change in an Anime, what would it be?

MoshiMochi43 - Jun 23

44 by DesuMaiden »»
55 seconds ago

» So many zoomers are only watching the same 5 big shounen-anime and I hate it

MyllerPhiem - 16 minutes ago

2 by Codric »»
2 minutes ago

» Couple you sure are gonna broke up later

kirA_-_ - 60 minutes ago

4 by SwordBreaker36 »»
12 minutes ago

» Who's your first anime crush?

Kanipan_Enkuldes - Yesterday

29 by Zakatsuki_ »»
14 minutes ago

» What anime would you like to see another season of? ( 1 2 )

doctor - Jun 22

66 by Mucharetsu »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.