Feb 2021
Vinland saga is an amazing show but it's too straightforward in its messaging
what are your opinions?
Jul 18, 3:36 AM
Sep 2023
imo great message donsn't need to be shown in complicated way
Jul 18, 3:39 AM

May 2024
It's a strong message, so no matter how it is portrayed it will always come off as straightforward. Besides it is built up over time and it's not like Thorfinn decides to be an advocator of peace out of nowhere.

We are shown both sides of the opposing forces, the one's living only for war and those who seek peace. Thorfinn's ideology is challenged throughout the entire story, and it is culminating currently in the final arc of the manga.

I think there's enough continuous ideological conflict in the story that doesn't allow for the message to feel forced in any way, despite it being straightforward.
Jul 18, 4:12 AM
Dec 2022
It's peak just the way it is. I don't mind.
Jul 18, 4:19 AM
Jan 2022
I wouldn't necessarily say it's too straightforward, since it took Thorfinn 2 seasons to finally understand his fathers words and their real meaning. I mean sure it's obvious that Vinland Saga wants to push a pacifist ideoligy but the way it was implemented was rather realistic. In Shounen Thorfinn would've probably been like " oh yeah my father was actually right " only a few episodes after Askellads death.
Jul 18, 4:44 AM
Negator

Mar 2022
I definitely don’t think it’s entirely subtle, but I also don’t think it’s too straightforward. It finds a nice middle ground which I like. If you’re someone who actually pays attention, you saw the seeds planted in season 1 and it should be relatively easy to grasp what the series is going for and trying to convey.

Sadly, a strange amount of people’s takeaway from S1 was a violent action viking show and nothing more. Which made them feel mislead with how S2 went, and even dislike how S1 ended with Thorfinn not getting his revenge. They didn’t care to grasp what the messaging was, and they didn’t see it throughout the show. Calling Thorfinn weak and the author “woke”, it’s pretty sad. Not to say it’s impossible to dislike the show or the direction it takes, but the reasoning tends to be silly. If they did understand what it was going for still didn’t like it, that’s fine. Can’t please everyone.

All that said, I think the intriguing part that makes the relatively straightforward messaging a little more palatable with some nuance, is the setting and culture it follows, and also how long it takes for Thorfinn to reach his conclusion. These revelations and mindsets weren’t a thing among warriors and some of the norse culture. There was constant war and pillaging in the period, and even in present times it seems there are those unable to grasp what “normal” people find to be common sense. At best you had people just living their every day lives trying to get by, but there necessarily weren’t common “revolutionaries” trying to change the ways of people, and give solace to those who couldn’t find it themselves.

Following Thorfinn’s journey after season 2 is still intriguing and there’s still nuance, because you can’t completely avoid fighting. There are men who want to see the world burn, people who want to harm your loved ones and steal from you. He needs to find a middle ground that isn’t just avoidance. He feels guilty for his past and has overcorrected in his mindset.

Even Thors wasn’t a true warrior yet, so what does Thorfinn need to do to reach even further than he did? The author Yukimura is a pacifist, but he knows it’s just an ideal and not everyone can get along. So what’s the best measure to protect yourself and your loved ones? That’s where a lot of the nuance is for me. Canute representing the opposite side of the coin and striving for the same thing with different methods is as well.

Sorry for the long winded response
Jul 18, 8:04 AM
Jan 2022
It's perfect the way it is. Vinland the only anime that transcended anime as a medium and became something greater I can't describe.
Jul 18, 8:41 AM

Apr 2020
Is it?
I prefer this to, lets say, Evangelion where I have to dig out the script to understand what's going on...

Call me a simpleton, but isn't Vinland Saga's messaging just good BECAUSE it's so relateable and easy to understand, without loosing meaning and powerful feelings? o.O
Jul 18, 9:44 AM
Jun 2024
I couldn't disagree more. VS is the journey one man takes from a warrior mentality to becoming a pacifist.

The theme of, "you have no enemies" seems absurd in a time of brutal war from all sides but pacifism is a rough road.

One of the most striking moments from the show was how Valhalla, a Viking heaven of unending war slowly morphed into the pit of hell.

Historically the show mirrors the path Vikings took from raping and pillaging to accepting moral structure and civility.

Sorry this is so long but this show had a loud voice for me. I came for fights and left with a master class in pacifism.
Jul 18, 11:44 AM
Dec 2021
Season two had incredibly forced and on the nose messaging, they really hammered it every episode. Not my cup of tea.
Jul 18, 1:36 PM
Jun 2019
I like the messages and didn’t expect it to dive so deep when I first started watching, but I’m all here for it. I might be biased since I am a Christian and there is some of that ideology mixed in there, but I also think it is something that can be taken away in our everyday lives. All in all, it’s peak storytelling IMO. People change. People mature. Thorfinn was only a teenager in the first season set on revenge. Now as an adult he is able to look back on his life and his purpose. In this season, it was all about him finding that purpose and getting back on his feet again. It doesn’t happen overnight and it can take years, but watching the story unfold so realistically makes me yearn for more. I’m deeply invested in this anime and the characters. Can’t wait for season 3!
Jul 18, 6:31 PM
Jan 2022
everything doesn't need hidden allegories, and I'm glad that Vinland saga didn't turn into the average A24 steaming pile of shit. one of the reasons why it's my favorite anime is because how it was so straightforward in the end and appealed directly to my emotions. and this is way better than having some impossible to figure out dumb hidden meaning in the end which would fly over everyone's head just to point out that it had good "sTOryTeLLinG".
Jul 19, 12:02 AM
Apr 2024
absolute peak‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎
Jul 19, 12:45 AM
May 2021
I do think it is pretty blatant with its theme, but I think in cases like this, that makes sense. A lot of themes in media revolve around some sort of inherently nuanced or even counterintuitive take, and so it makes sense to present those themes in a way that highlights those attributes. In Vinland Saga's case, though, the theme that's presented on a silver platter is a pretty standard "redemption of the sinner"/"violence doesn't need to be the answer" story. With this sort of theme, it makes sense to be heavy-handed, because it's the basis for the general state of the postmodern antiwar Zeitgeist. We as modern humans are pretty sure we want everybody to be more or less on the same page here, morally, so we don't need to leave room for interpretation.
Jul 19, 2:36 AM
Feb 2022
zelek__ said:
imo great message donsn't need to be shown in complicated way

then what is Vinland message?
Jul 19, 2:36 AM
Feb 2022
Psytho said:
what are your opinions?

tell me what is Vinland message to be sure about what you think
Jul 19, 4:45 AM
Jul 2021
Psytho said:
what are your opinions?

Which is a good thing cause more people will be able to understand it easily.
Jul 19, 5:27 AM
Sep 2023
Reply to Yantama
Psytho said:
what are your opinions?

@Yantama for me vinland message is to let go of our desire for revange and focus on becoming a better person
Jul 19, 7:10 AM
Feb 2022
zelek__ said:
@Yantama for me vinland message is to let go of our desire for revange and focus on becoming a better person

no I don't think this is the main message
Jul 19, 7:14 AM
Sep 2023
Reply to Yantama
zelek__ said:

no I don't think this is the main message
@Yantama ok like i said that's my interpretation of the show
Jul 20, 4:33 PM
Jan 2024
It’s peak 😌😮‍💨.
Jul 20, 10:38 PM
Jun 2019
Yantama said:
Psytho said:
what are your opinions?

Loving your enemies. Being selfless and living for others. Those are the main messages and it is a prevalent one in the Christian faith as well, which is what I think inspired them.
Jul 21, 11:20 AM
May 2024
i think it finds a perfect balance in not too farfetched and not just in your face
Jul 21, 3:27 PM
Jul 2024
The message was perfect but the pace not so. Vinland saga is the most realistic anime that everyone will carry the true meanings of life.

More topics from this board

» Season 3?

RealityChanges - Jul 14

45 by dkharanime »»
Yesterday, 1:20 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 22, 2023

253 by curvedtree »»
Jul 20, 9:05 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2023

307 by curvedtree »»
Jul 20, 1:54 AM

» What are your views on "no one has enemies" and "No one deserves to be killed or harmed"?

Otaku_guru - Jul 16

9 by Otaku_guru »»
Jul 17, 11:55 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2023

384 by phantom346 »»
Jul 8, 12:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.