Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Akame ga KILL!
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 6, 11:27 AM
Jul 2018
Akame ga Kill! It's a classic, it was the first anime for an entire generation, now 10 years after the anime's release it seems that for many it hasn't aged well

I know that the story makes a lot of mistakes, such as villains that only lasted 1 episode, or characters with very shallow pasts, but I still think the story isn't bad enough for a 7.47 rating

Definitely many anime with a much weaker story and much less charismatic characters, had a better rating

So in the end, what displeased people so much about Akame ga Kill?
removed-userJul 6, 11:31 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 6, 11:42 AM
Dec 2018
Some of the deaths felt cheap, like they were just trying to throw away characters. Which is sad because some of the early characters that died were some of the most interesting for me. It also has a more sucke ending than the manga.

Overall, I still enjoyed it
Jul 6, 11:44 AM

Apr 2020
I think the moment you abandon all the story and character discussions and start enjoying the cool, gory action is the moment you'll have fun with this.
I feel that is its main appeal. Therefore I disagree: An overall 7 is pretty high, for an Anime like this.

Story ISNT it's strongpoint. That's just a fact, no matter what other Anime plotholes there may or may not be happening in other Shows :)
Also....yeah....it didn't age well. Cause people grew up xD
Merve2LoveJul 6, 11:49 AM
Jul 6, 11:46 AM
Mar 2021
the characters were like cardboard, not a single ounce of realness in them, it seemed extremely unnatural
Jul 6, 11:47 AM
Mar 2022
Pavaonegro said:
Akame ga Kill! It's a classic, it was the first anime for an entire generation, now 10 years after the anime's release it seems that for many it hasn't aged well

I know that the story makes a lot of mistakes, such as villains that only lasted 1 episode, or characters with very shallow pasts, but I still think the story isn't bad enough for a 7.47 rating

Definitely many anime with a much weaker story and much less charismatic characters, had a better rating

Ending, why they kill mc, why?????? Atleast give Akame one partner to rely on, she is alone.
Jul 6, 11:51 AM
Sep 2018
7.47 is a crazy score for this garbage, one of the worst anime i've ever see in my life
Jul 6, 11:58 AM

Jul 2015
Anime original ending. Nuff said

Jul 6, 11:58 AM
Jan 2024
The fact half of Night Raid and most of the Jeger’s have no arc, which the manga fixes
Jul 6, 11:59 AM
Jan 2021
Can’t remember a single thing other than esdeath
Jul 6, 12:03 PM
Oct 2020
I liked it and thought it was fun. It definitely isn’t the most well-written, but I didn’t mind it.
Jul 6, 12:03 PM

Feb 2011
I was displeased by the fact that Esdeath and Tatsumi didn't end up having kids, te-he.

Jul 6, 12:08 PM
Dec 2021
Disappointed that Tatsumi and Esdeath Died
Jul 6, 12:11 PM

Sep 2016
Lack of screen time for Esdeath, she should have been a main character.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 6, 12:18 PM
Jun 2024
mine dying, could have used more romance
Jul 6, 12:19 PM
Jun 2024
overall the show should have been a 2 season fling
Jul 6, 12:50 PM
Jul 2022
Overall I really enjoyed it, my only real complaint is Leone's death was just so incredibly stupid. I can look past the others because they didn't seem out of place in the narrative itself but her's was ridiculous.

Also I don't think it's actually rated poorly especially for an anime of its member count.
Jul 6, 12:52 PM
Mar 2024
That's a perfect score for this on mal 🤷
Jul 6, 1:08 PM
Nov 2021
I didn't enjoyed it at all. One or two deaths for character development is fine. Killing everyone is excessive. I would have loved it if all the characters weren't dead.
Jul 6, 1:10 PM
Jun 2024
while watching this anime i thought it is an amazing anime , but then everyone started dying , which really traumatized me . the mc literally died in the end . But still a good 8 or 9 /10 from my side
Jul 6, 1:11 PM
Jan 2023
They overplayed the “allies dying” hand to the point it just became cheesy in the second cour.
Jul 6, 1:12 PM

Dec 2022
Aside from the nobles and aristocrats in the Empire being villainous to a laughable degree, not much. AgK does exceptionally well when it comes to having an unpredictable narrative, thoroughly engaging battles, and not cheaply subverting character roles for the sake of it. One of the few battle shounen I'm a genuine fan of.

Shaded Horizon

Jul 6, 1:14 PM

May 2024
Killing off all main characters for no real reason other than pure shock factor.
Jul 6, 2:45 PM
Aug 2023
SaintxSwag said:
Some of the deaths felt cheap, like they were just trying to throw away characters. Which is sad because some of the early characters that died were some of the most interesting for me. It also has a more sucke ending than the manga.

Overall, I still enjoyed it

I agree with you. It's not like I'm going to say that the manga is a masterpiece but it's better than the adaptation. The story feels so rushed and what makes me sad is they cut one of the best arc in the anime, which is the villain called the 'Wild Hunt'.
Jul 6, 2:52 PM
Dec 2018
WestOnAndrewAve said:
Overall I really enjoyed it, my only real complaint is Leone's death was just so incredibly stupid. I can look past the others because they didn't seem out of place in the narrative itself but her's was ridiculous.

Also I don't think it's actually rated poorly especially for an anime of its member count.

I second this, Leone death was purely out of shock factor. They’re was no need to kill her off.
Jul 6, 3:34 PM
Mar 2021
I’m ok with the main and supporting characters dying off, because this shows the stakes are high and the outcome is not guaranteed.

I enjoyed this show and feel hating on this demonstrates a more child like view of outcomes, where the good guy(s) always prevail and live happily ever after.
Jul 6, 3:42 PM

Jul 2017
akame ga kill was my first ever anime (except pokemon)

the characters are really stereotypical, the story is pretty boring, the anime original ending is pretty bad, the animation/art is below average.

if you just keep watching more anime you'll realize this show is 5/10

and the manga is 6.5/10

just not that good of a show overall
Jul 6, 4:55 PM
May 2020
I remember returning to this some years ago (which was already a rewatch of something i watched years back) and being absolutely appalled by it. From its paint by numbers setting to its very shonen horniness. It really does disappoint as a more mature audience member.
Not even mentioning it’s outright juvenile use of drug addiction as a one-off episode plot and it’s rather unfortunate use of gay stereotypes, but those kinda come with the genre i guess
Jul 6, 4:58 PM
Jan 2024
Most of the characters were written just for the viewers to forget and the only character that's rememberable is Akame only because of the title akamegakill. In terms of gore genre it's decent but I think they've gone too far for being a shounen category. but I won't deny that I did enjoy watching it 9 years ago.
Jul 6, 5:00 PM
Jun 2024
Because is a cheap copy of Game Of Thrones. The protagonist is Tatsumi so I don't get why named it AKAME Ga Kill? The ending was bad. And the anime didn't exactly follow the manga
Jul 6, 5:51 PM
Jun 2023
The story started out strong. it was a joy watching the episodes weekly. when characters started dying it still wasnt bad because the character deaths made sense. Then it was like almost every ep someone was dying and it didn't make sense, almost as if it was being done for shock value. Come to find out the anime deviated from the manga at some point and was basically doing wateva the fuck they wanted so basically the killing was for shock value. if you go read the last chapter of the manga you will see that some of the characters that are dead in the anime are alive at the end of the manga. ( but i must point out, In their defense the manga was still on going but was almost done and i guess they didn't want to do a season 2. Buttttt that just added to the list of examples that prove that anime only ending are just a no)

This is what upset me to the point i have never recommended "akame ga kill everybody" to anyoneeeee
Jul 6, 6:12 PM
Mar 2019
nothing really I enjoyed it love it and still is so good hoping for a remake it did felt short like air gear I recommend watching it still so good.
Jul 6, 9:36 PM
Jan 2021
I hated it on my first viewing. The initial hook had me interested, but every arc was identical. X character and main guy go on mission, grow closer, learn X characters tragic backstory, X character dies, rinse & repeat.
Jul 6, 11:40 PM
Apr 2023
For me, it was basically just a very mid show in every way. It was one of the first anime I ever watched, and I loved it and thought it was amazing. Then, I watched more shows; almost all of them better than Akame, and realized that it was t actually that good. I would describe my experiences with SAO and Angel Beats the same way as well.
Jul 7, 12:55 AM
Nov 2022
Shizuna said:
I was displeased by the fact that Esdeath and Tatsumi didn't end up having kids, te-he.

We could only ever wish for such a beautiful writting.
Jul 7, 1:07 AM
Jun 2017
I watched this when i was Like 13 and even then I realized that this shit is Hot garbage
Jul 7, 4:49 AM
Aug 2022
None of the characters have been fleshed out well enough for us to care about their deaths. It’s a shame because this anime had a lot of potential in my opinion.
Jul 7, 5:20 AM
Apr 2018
I feel like you're implying a mid 7 is a bad score when it isn't.

Look at the stats. Over half of people rated it 8 and above, and 3/4 rated it at least a 7. If you look at the stats for an anime above an 8.0 you'll see that despite what it may seem sometimes getting out of the 7s is pretty hard, especially for something popular where a lot of people outside it's target audience will see it. A mid 7 anime with a premise you like will probably appeal to you more than an 8 with a premise you don't.

When I look at an anime a mid 7 score just means that it will probably have some objective problems but a lot of people still enjoyed it. I rated it a 6, but I don't see that as a bad score either.
Jul 7, 8:09 AM
Mar 2018
The anime started straying from the manga so much it became a different story entirely. (Spoiler Alert) Tatsumi and Mine weren’t supposed to die and Esdeath had a whole scene where she made an army of ice. Aside from that, the show didn’t introduce the shogu (prototype imperial arms) at all. The show had a lot of promise near the beginning but failed to deliver a lot of key moments and details at the end.
Jul 7, 9:41 AM
Aug 2023
Pavaonegro said:

I think the anime story is good. It’s one of my favorites and I rewatch it almost every year. But I do believe a more faithful adaptation to the manga would have been nice. Or a remaster where we see a more faithful version. I don’t know why it’s falling off for others but it might have something to do with that.
Jul 7, 10:38 AM
Jul 2022
The rushed and original ending after episode 19. It was going so well but they just had to deviate from the manga.
Jul 7, 11:26 AM
Nov 2021
rush at the end and cut content and the lil sis dies
Jul 7, 1:28 PM
Aug 2023
Jiwoongiee said:
Because is a cheap copy of Game Of Thrones. The protagonist is Tatsumi so I don't get why named it AKAME Ga Kill? The ending was bad. And the anime didn't exactly follow the manga

The manga started in 2010, a year before game of thrones first aired. Not exactly a copy under that circumstance but more like a worse executed version (I haven’t watched GoT)
Jul 7, 1:33 PM
Aug 2023
I give it a 5, bang in the middle. I feel like a lot of people saw the amount of deaths and felt like they were happening just to happen at some point, and tbf a good bit of them were, looking directly at Mine & Leone. Also the fact that the theme itself appears dark in nature but would employ typical Shonen tropes & some off-handed comedy in the midst of otherwise serious scenes, which if this was marketed as a seinen, I would dislike it too, but it’s not, so those things existing doesn’t really piss me off the way it does others. I still like the show, I own the manga but already know the differences so am not in a rush to read it, I have a feeling I’d like how it unfolds better than the anime for sure. Not to mention Akame is one of my favorite kuuderes ever so I don’t hate the series whatsoever, but I can easily see why some people do.
jpexistsJul 7, 1:38 PM
Jul 7, 5:20 PM
Jan 2020
I liked different things and choices of the series, but the thing that displeased me was Esdeath non-sense ability, I likeda lot the scene at first but I couldn't figure out 2 things:
1- freezing time with the ice power = no sense
2- in the case of time stop succeding, Akame's uses a residual image of herself.. Which, something like a residual image in the freezed time shouldn't exist at all = no sense as well
Jul 8, 12:11 AM
Apr 2022
Pavaonegro said:

Rushing to finish with a Manga ignored ending. Absolutely 0 character development. Choosing senseless deaths for shock rather than a flowing story. This was one of the first anime’s I was quite disappointed watching.
Jul 8, 7:55 AM
Feb 2017
Nothing, except your protagonists being killed in horrendous ways, and villains that reflect the darker aspects of human nature we refuse to acknowledge.
Jul 9, 3:24 PM
Feb 2024
legit EVERYONE dying 💀
Jul 10, 6:15 PM
May 2024
I can't name anybody other than Tatsumi and Esdeath. Literally can't remember their names because the personalities were bland. For an action, it had the right amount of gore and a teensy bit of good writing but the story was average.
I remember watching it on Toonami as it was Deadman Wonderland and Kill la Kill birthed ALOT of anime fans. For that, I'll give it its flowers but the show doesn't age well, especially for shows that go for that dark theme (90’s Beserk, Devilman Crybaby, and Hellsing all do this but better)
Jul 11, 8:00 PM
Nov 2019
Merve2Love said:
I think the moment you abandon all the story and character discussions and start enjoying the cool, gory action is the moment you'll have fun with this.
I feel that is its main appeal. Therefore I disagree: An overall 7 is pretty high, for an Anime like this.

Story ISNT it's strongpoint. That's just a fact, no matter what other Anime plotholes there may or may not be happening in other Shows :)
Also....yeah....it didn't age well. Cause people grew up xD

I agree with you. It was pretty much shock factor for the majority of the deaths with no actual reason for killing them off besides killing them off. The premise is there, but the writing is very ehh. It kind of feels like the Mirai Nikki of the newer generation. It's super edgy and cool if you're newer to darker shows until you watch stuff with depth and great writing, and then it falls off super hard.

It also came out in a time where you didn't see too many main characters die in shows. It's kind of like how GoT shocked everyone at the end of s1. AGK just doesn't have the writing to compete with anything actually good.
Jul 11, 8:02 PM
Nov 2019
Kitsune_089 said:
akame ga kill was my first ever anime (except pokemon)

the characters are really stereotypical, the story is pretty boring, the anime original ending is pretty bad, the animation/art is below average.

if you just keep watching more anime you'll realize this show is 5/10

and the manga is 6.5/10

just not that good of a show overall

Agree on all fronts. Once you watch anime with better writing, it's stands out big time.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Worth watching while being spoiled?

Ghost_Davo - Jul 14

39 by did4375 »»
Jul 26, 6:31 AM

Poll: » Akame ga Kill! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 27, 2014

419 by nachopajamaster »»
Jul 21, 8:42 PM

» Why does Akame ga Kill get so much hate? ( 1 2 )

MasterHavik - Jul 27, 2016

79 by ProdigyKing »»
Jul 21, 2:55 PM

Poll: » Akame ga Kill! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2014

1371 by Elmocuh116252535 »»
Jul 15, 7:42 PM

Poll: » Akame ga Kill! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 10, 2014

906 by httplatte »»
Jul 8, 1:05 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.