Forum Settings
Forums

The "related entries" redesign is atrocious

New
Jun 4, 3:19 PM

Apr 2016
Related Entries section was perfectly fine and easy to navigate with on a glance, especially when going through seasons (so, going further back or further forward), now it is just painful, it is hard to see what is what. The pictures don't help at all, but neatly packed rows of text did.

I understand you think this is really cool but not everything needs to look like a mobile interface, guys.
Jun 4, 3:45 PM
Aug 2016
The old design was not that easy to use. The fact that each relation type was just run-on texts made it hard to navigate titles with many of the same relations (like side story OVAs or movies), which was not helped by the ordering being quite random.

The new design has one great change and two terrible changes though.
The good change is that every relation in the more compact view used for everything that isn't adaptation or prequel/sequel is much easier to parse: Titles are one per line, you get the type, and they're ordered by release date.
The bad changes are a) the section with the images that is incongruous with the rest of the design, is harder to parse and takes up a lot of space, and b) that not all titles are shown by default. This would not be required to this extent if the images weren't there.

I.e. just remove the "big" relations with images and everything, and only collapse relations if there are more than like 10 or 20 titles - when the list actually becomes obstructively long. That way the section becomes very easy to read and navigate and doesn't take much space.
Jun 4, 3:51 PM
Apr 2014
I agree, it looked way better and now I keep scrolling past it while trying to find it, quite annoying.
Jun 5, 5:07 AM

Sep 2016
Using pictures now was a bad idea, but even worse is that new dropdown box for other related entries because it has a flawed logic.
It would be fine if it only hides a huge number of related entries like One Piece, but sometimes it also hides just 1 related entry which is totally redundant.
Example: https://myanimelist.net/anime/17074/Monogatari_Series__Second_Season
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 10, 10:00 PM
Apr 2019
As a phone user, the change is painful. I use it in desktop mode because mobile mode is a big no, but having to scroll to the right everytime i need to check a prequel or sequel is not good, plus text was easier and more straightforward
Jun 17, 1:42 AM
Jan 2018
The related entries being as simple as they were was the main reason I started using this site to begin with, helped make sure I wasn't missing out on any sequels like I used to all the time in the past when I first got into anime. Now I'm doing that again everytime I forget to click the drop down box for "more" entries.

My eyes are used to ignoring ads on any site and the related entries kind of get filtered out the same way, just feels cheap with the little thumbnails.
gokushawnJun 17, 2:00 AM
Jun 20, 9:38 AM
Dec 2023
+1. Harder to navigate and find what you're looking for
Jul 2, 7:05 AM
Sep 2020
Came to write a new post pretty much like this.
I understand that the Related Entries section was in need of some kind of redesign, but the current way it works is completaly unatural.
Everything about it seems a bit off.

I think that we could maybe have 2 very distinct sections, like "Other media", that when you are into Mangas, it would show animes and LN's. And when you are in the animes section, it would shown the Mangas an LN's an so on...
And a "Media related entries", that would show sequels, prequels, OVA's, ONA's, different settings etc.

The way it is now is way worse then before.
Jul 2, 2:53 PM
Sep 2013
Yeah it looks like trash and was entirely unnecessary. What were they thinking?
Jul 4, 7:27 AM

Jun 2010
You can use this Tampermonkey script I made to revert that change.
Jul 6, 12:59 PM

May 2014
Reply to tariel36
@tariel36 YES thank you for making this. Man what a terrible change. Hopefully they revert it for all the people that don't find this script.
Jul 8, 6:32 PM

Mar 2008
I find it more convenient but was not designed well in appearance.
Aug 7, 11:09 AM
Dec 2019
I guess they're not reverting it back... It really is awful and even after 2 months still can't get used to it...
Sep 9, 1:38 AM

Jun 2012
Reply to tariel36
@tariel36 Thanks for making this. I thought I was going crazy when the change came in, and I found it much more tedious to navigate the related entries. I had to fall back to AniDB in the meantime.

More topics from this board

» I suggest giving users the ability to private thier forums.

GoatPieceLuffy - Yesterday

1 by Noboru »»
3 hours ago

» Prevent very new accounts from creating public interest stacks (And recommendations).

Daviljoe193 - Sep 21

15 by ScaryOwl »»
Yesterday, 1:16 PM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

23 by IridescentJaune »»
Yesterday, 11:24 AM

» Add Filters to Top Lists

rti9 - Sep 25

1 by Zarutaku »»
Yesterday, 10:29 AM

» Like button on user's comments in episode discussions

Katanaoni - Jul 19

9 by Zarutaku »»
Yesterday, 10:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.