Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Jan 7, 4:43 AM
Nov 2021
I really like the solo leveling manhwa so much so that I read it like 3 times.
so I really hoped they wouldn't mess up the anime of my favourite manhwa and for the most part I loved it.
but I feel like so many characters were introduced in a single episode.
I felt like showing the s-class heros later in the story would have been more intriguing
before you come at me hear me out if all the other class heroes were shown before the s class we would have had a idea of how strong the s class actually are because by then we could have realised how strong a a class or b class actually are since it has been described that a few s class together can take over a entire country
-the animation was ok
anyway I am still interested in how they are going to carry the show forward (no hate)
Jan 7, 5:04 AM

Jul 2012
Decent start, really loved manhwa even with the most typical story. Read 2 manhwas overall, really was never a fan of the longstrip format.
Already Cha Hae-In already introduced! She looks so much better in manhwa =(
Jan 7, 5:24 AM
Jan 2018
First big kr webtoon I believe to get an anime I believe? Insane, hope this trend continues because man, that was fun!
Jan 7, 5:27 AM

Dec 2011
Honestly, after having read this thread and seeing so many positive words about this series, I decided to give it a try but what I got is some kind of reverse-isekai where fantastical creatures and magic have been within the real world for 10 years but no one has made actual use of the mana stones or actually anything related to the mysterious dimension that just happened to drop a few portals in there. This world is as if the portals have just emerged since there are no actual signs of the new resources having any impact on it.

The main character is the biggest loser of a hunter there is and is forcibly trying to make money for his mom and sister despite almost having died multiple times, simultaneously being a burden on everyone who is in a party with him, as if he is not living in the real world where there are many more ways to earn money without risking his life. Like, what good can he be if he dies anyway? Also, that was so stupid of him to determine eventually going further into the dungeon and still hoping to be carried by the others. In addition, no one in that party seemed to have any will of their own - so many hunters there were against progressing but no one had any issue with opening the giant door and walking inside. No one was like "fuck that, I'm not gonna risk my life" and turned on their heel to go back, instead they all walked in like some mindless sheep ready to be slaughtered.

The first episode is supposed to be so impactful that it draws in any potential audiences but it definitely did not buy me. The world and the characters are not convincing at all, there are so many inconsistencies within the story and the show itself feels very cheap. I guess I am just too old for this as I feel like I've watched series like this countless times and even the artstyle is nothing to be excited about. While we're at it, Hiroyuki Sawano's sountrack does not seem to match the show's energy, it feels way over-the-top for this animation style. I'm really disappointed.
Jan 7, 5:44 AM

Sep 2007
Wow....if anything I'm personally impressed with the animation quality of the battles....I feel like I haven't seen nice battle animations like that in a while (or maybe I haven't been watching any action series as of late? lol.....)

Other than that....eh....the delivery (in terms of showing that "3 years ago" battle first, etc.) is odd and the choice in hair colors kinda made me pause and blink (Joohee in particular...)

Honestly I'm anticipating more only cuz I never quite finished reading the manhwa and wonder how far this will go....but we'll see....

I'm also going to have such a problem with remembering these Korean names... :\ But that's a personal issue I always have....
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Jan 7, 5:49 AM
Aug 2020
The anime looks promising. Hope that it will not be botched like a few of its webtoon peers' adaptations.
Jan 7, 5:53 AM
Aug 2023
The animation was just top tier
Jan 7, 5:55 AM

Oct 2016
anime of the year and it's only january
Jan 7, 6:00 AM
Dec 2023
well made accurate to the source material and details are lacking in some scenes . episode 1 is 7/10
Jan 7, 6:03 AM
Dec 2020
its just like the manga good
Jan 7, 6:13 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
Mm-hmm, that statues eyes moving gave me goosebumps to be honest.
But I'm quite disappointed since when I read the novel, my fantasy itself gave them Asian kind of look and barely anyone looks Asian in this first episode. Maybe I feel that way since their name is also Korean so... We'll see how the series goes on forward then.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Jan 7, 6:24 AM

Jul 2011
Welp, it was not good...

First, these people were introduced as experienced adventurers (or whatever the hell they are called), with special abilities and etc, participating in many battles and killing countless monster (and being killed as well)..

Then the same "experienced" people rushed into the unexplored location because "oh this is only rank D dungeon, so what to worry about" (if it was granted that the hidden location must have the same level..)

Moreover, the same "experienced" people went into the final (supposedly level-boss) room like they were some tourist group visiting a museum. (ofc, why bother sending scouts first and then leaving some reserves on the other side of the gate just in case, nah :D )

And finally when the shit happened (yeah, who would have thought :D ), those so called brave and experienced monster-hunters started screaming like school kids seeing the dead teammates (despite they should've seen countless of deaths already and being used to it).

Oh and about our mc... As it was introduced no modern weapons can do any damage to those monsters and only the people gifted with mana are able to fight them and thus are sole hope of the humanity, "living weapons" basically .. So, logically every such gifted person, despite how strong or weak their ability is, should be valued like a goldmine, and governments/corporations should try to equip them the best way possible, provide proper training and care and so on to keep humanity's "weapons" as effective as possible... (in case of corporations - having their income as big as possible :D).. And regardless, we have our mc, who can basically afford a kitchen knife as his only weapon and struggling to get any money to support himself or his family... Riiiiight :D

It this was some comedy anime I'd be ok with such "logic", but not here when the show desperately tries to take itself seriously.

Anyway, will watch couple of more eps how this plot unfolds. Perhaps there is some hope still.
Jan 7, 6:34 AM
Feb 2023
story is better and animation is better than expected
Jan 7, 6:35 AM
Sep 2022
it made the big mistake of being too short
it was getting so good but then it just ends
it should have been longer and get the wiewers hooked like in oshi no ko
Jan 7, 6:50 AM
Dec 2023
Well, i like the part where the S-Rank hunters battles the white ants. The animation was so pretty including the scene where the thunder guy blasts the white ant with his fist. so, i have high expections from this anime.
Jan 7, 7:10 AM
Aug 2022
MyllerPhiem said:
Great first episode, but I reallly hope the hero doesn't turn into another Kirito in the upcoming episodes.

@hobk1204

This was absolutely not "average". You're a troll account with 1 posting who's clearly never seen other isekai anime

not a troll account at all, this isn't even the best isekai first episode of this season...

even my friends who have read it agree that this episode was not great. as I said I hope it gets better and this isn't just copium. I won't say any spoilers but come on...

I sincerely hope it gets up to the hype but that episode was not it
Jan 7, 7:15 AM
Community Mod
Undead

Mar 2022
Not bad!! I've already read the Manhwa, but this has me hooked for a second time!! Really looking forward to the next episode!!
Jan 7, 7:22 AM
Sep 2022
Honestly, it was a weak first episode .
while the animation , VAs and many aspects were good But it really failed as a first episode ,
If i didn’t know what solo leveling is i would have dropped the anime right away . There was no hocking whatsoever , and the cliff hanger was lame and unnecessary .
Jan 7, 7:39 AM

Feb 2020
The peak is finally here
Jan 7, 7:41 AM
Jun 2022
Animation sick, Sound design beautiful, Story telling Incredible. Its worth to watch it
Jan 7, 7:42 AM
Jan 2014
please dont rush it. I hope he wont be lvl 30 right in the next episode
Jan 7, 7:53 AM

May 2023
Not being able to contain the shivers in your body during the first episode.
Watching anime is very good, but watching an anime after following the manhwa being released and seeing its beloved characters coming to life, moving and being able to hear their voices... there's no comparison.
I really loved the first episode, even with all those scenes that aren't in the manhwa, I found it a bit forced to want to put all the characters from the series in the first episode, totally unnecessary.
Jan 7, 7:57 AM
Feb 2021
Having read the webtoon, it's a great experience to witness this anime adaptation having the supporting characters appear way earlier than their webtoon counterparts. This includes the people whom our main protagonist Jin-woo will meet when he levels up to get stronger.

I still am being cautious not to get my hopes up easily as this is gonna be a one cour series, but given the pacing & some original scenes that include the supporting characters showcasing their fighting skills or attending the lectures new recruited Hunters attend to.

It's an odd but good coincidence that this is penned by the same anime studio who did SAO twelve years ago given that we can all agree this has SAO vibes but with a more gritty, more mature take on the RPG-battle fantasy subgenre. Fingers crossed that the production team knows what they're doing to keep up with these steady pacings & anime-original scenes that make sense within the storytelling's setup/timeline. And may it end at an appropriate arc in the final episode.
Jan 7, 7:57 AM
Mar 2023
chukesh007 said:
rin_roko_ said:
I watched it in a streaming website 2 hours after it was aired globally and they haven't changed the names thankfully they just obviously included a 'san' after their names

btw episode one was amazing! I loved it sm and the extra scenes rlly didn't disappoint us and hunter Cha's scene was really cool hah
hoping to see more extraordinary episodes like this one!

where did you see that

you could watch in animesuge, 9anime or even kissanime
Jan 7, 7:59 AM

Sep 2012
aight not bad, let's see how this one goes
Jan 7, 8:08 AM
May 2021
It's on netflix in Singapore already. I'm surprised they used the korean names in it cos I saw Japanese names in the trailers. It weird hearing Eunbaek with "san" at the back but using korean names definitely sound more natural.

They changed things quited a bit, dont remember the manga started with the island raid with the red ants unless I remembered wrongly. Cha Hae In also made an appearance in ep 1 - this is definitely anime exclusive

The buildup to the raid was not bad, pretty exciting so see things get brutal for them.

But overall the manga had a more serious and sinister feel while the anime was less dark. I hope the mood turns heavier and looking forward to the fighting scenes!
Jan 7, 8:14 AM

Aug 2017
The most anticipated anime ever. Adapting the most beloved manwha. The hype was real and it did not disappoint.
I really love how they incorporated more scenes from the manwha. Like showing a glimpse of Choi Jong taking charge of the raid and burning the ants to smithereens. Now that was badass. That is how you start off an anime. I'm now fully hooked.
Shunsuke Nakashige did a phenomenal job directing this episode. I love all the little details of nuances they added in. Especially when they explain about the difference between essence stones and mana crystals and how they can be used as a clean energy source. Much safer than nuclear, but more efficient than water, wind, and geothermal. No wonder the Japanese government is wanting more hunters to collect these materials.

It's so cool seeing Sung jinwoo and Joohee interact with each other. Joohee came in clutch with the heals and being the wholesome tsundere that she is. Jinwoo really needs to take her out to eat for dinner or something. She saved his ass so many times. She's a real keeper.

Oh yeah, those D and E rank hunters are in for a wild awakening with that first raid dungeon. Those statues are going to pull a weepening angel on them.

Jan 7, 8:20 AM

Jun 2016
what a banger first episode !!
Jan 7, 8:32 AM
Jun 2015
Lmaoooo This shit was so dull and generic.
Jan 7, 8:34 AM

Jul 2023
A friend of mine once told me: 'Read the manga of Solo Leveling.' This was like two years ago, and now I'm watching the anime. I'm glad I waited until the anime was released :D. The downside is that the episode ended at the best part, but I can wait for one more week!
Jan 7, 8:44 AM

May 2017
bruh it felt like they couldn't decide the pacing with this first episode
81982062_p0
Jan 7, 9:00 AM

Mar 2011
Man the dub with korean names was so weird on many levels, need to watch this anime with the jp names, cuz hearing a jp VA speaking their korean names is weird.
Aside from that the art and animation was very good for a 1st episode.
Jan 7, 9:00 AM
Jan 2024
As someone who has never read the source material, it really felt like I was watching literally any other isekai that has been released the past years.

I'm giving this 3 episodes, but the first episode was extremely generic.. But it might be unique later on, I don't want to jump to conclusions.
Yo, I make digital art
Jan 7, 9:01 AM

Aug 2023
this is the first Manhwa to anime I will be watching, I think in the next episode so many things will happen how will the escape? how will they defeat the statue king and the others statues. Looking forward to it.
Jan 7, 9:09 AM
Nov 2021
They followed the original story, great pacing and the animation is top tier!
Jan 7, 9:24 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Very nice first episode!!
A mixed reality and Iseki, with drama, action and blood!!!

Poor guy, he is very weak!!!
kekeke
Jan 7, 9:43 AM
Jan 2022
Ait ig, gottahave15charakters
Jan 7, 10:20 AM

Aug 2020
Really cool episode. Intense and impressive. Eager to know more.

And btw the girls are really gorgeous. Plus W

Jan 7, 10:26 AM

Sep 2019
Probably will get better, but this first episode was pretty mid
Jan 7, 10:27 AM
Oct 2023
first episode did not dissapoint. i thought they would stick more to the manga. but they didnt and its honestly better that way. i want to see the second episode already
Jan 7, 10:33 AM
May 2015
Great first episode. If they keep it up I'm hopeful this can finish over 9 for score. The Manhwa was a huge trend setter and has hundreds of imitators out there. Hopefully this is the trigger for Gate/Hunter anime to be spammed like Isekais have been up til now.
Jan 7, 10:44 AM

Apr 2016
This episode was all over the place and not engaging. Not what I was expecting given the anime title.
I don't know anything about the source material except the hype around it and some of the concept.

I assume there is more to it, given the hype and the concept. But padding already in the first episode?! That's cringe.

Let's be honest, that's a poor first episode, they must be really confident about the hype and people sticking to it, to start the show like that...
If I didn't know anything about how it's been hyped, I would have dropped already 100% because my time is limited.
Radical_OrionJan 7, 11:11 AM
Jan 7, 10:47 AM
Jun 2022
It was okayish. Not much of a great build up.
Jan 7, 10:50 AM
May 2022
This was clearly one of the best animated episode in winter season. It deserves all the hype. Literally they left us at cliffhanger in epi 1. They are following the source material perfectly, if not better than it.
Jan 7, 10:58 AM
Aug 2016
The fist episode is really well made but the second episode is what we really have to watch, the real start is the second one!
Jan 7, 11:09 AM
Sep 2015
very slow but its ok,
Jan 7, 11:20 AM

Aug 2021
Great choice by the studio to give peeks at a later arc, as well as introduce characters that don't appear till later on (at least in the manga, don't know much about the LN).
Jan 7, 11:39 AM
Jan 2024
The Episode Was Good Exited for the next Episode And the animation was good too hope the Animation quality will not droop and keep Up the good Work...
Jan 7, 11:40 AM
Apr 2018
this goona be goooooooooooood
Jan 7, 11:52 AM
Apr 2021
the nimation is spot on, jus like the audio, love it
Pages (15) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 17

264 by satyrelfheim »»
Yesterday, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yuyuichi - Feb 10

417 by satyrelfheim »»
Yesterday, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yuyuichi - Feb 3

276 by satyrelfheim »»
Yesterday, 8:39 AM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 27

368 by satyrelfheim »»
Yesterday, 4:59 AM

» Season 2 will focused more on side charcter and explore the world 360

Hickykissy - May 10

30 by J2C »»
Jun 12, 9:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.