Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2023 9:09 AM
May 2017
[I am reading the DarkHorse issue of Akira. Here 120 chapters are converted into 38 parts. And the sequence of event is mixed up to match the new format. So, I know how many chapters I have read but do not know what part belong to which chapter.]

Now we finally know why the experiment started. We still don't have a proper explanation as to what the Stream is and how Akira is so powerful. I do agree with Tetsuo that Lady Miyoko wasn't making sense. At least we got to see Colonel again and he finally realized about Number 19.
almightybismarckDec 3, 2023 8:28 PM
Dec 3, 2023 8:16 PM

Apr 2020
Episode 63: Pages 239-253 of volume 4 of the Kodansha publication. [source]

In this chapter, Kei finds out Miyako went into a coma during experimentation, and her records were removed from all testing which allowed her to exist beyond the lab. Meanwhile, Colonel's scientist is not as trustworthy as previously thought, the Great Tokyo Empire is mobilizing towards Miyako's temple, and Tetsuo says he has quit taking drugs cold turkey.

I haven't noticed until now just how long it's been since Kaneda was in the story. I guess I was just waiting for his time to turn up again, but he still hasn't. It makes a little more sense now why the fourth and fifth volumes are named after Kei, but so far it seems more like Miyako and Tetsuo have been the main driving forces of the plot. Now I wonder what's going on with Kaneda.

Also @almightybismarck what you're describing happened in chapter 60. The true halfway point of the story. That was quite a hefty chunk of lore to take in.
Dec 3, 2023 8:32 PM
May 2017
Reply to GurschachX
Episode 63: Pages 239-253 of volume 4 of the Kodansha publication. [source]

In this chapter, Kei finds out Miyako went into a coma during experimentation, and her records were removed from all testing which allowed her to exist beyond the lab. Meanwhile, Colonel's scientist is not as trustworthy as previously thought, the Great Tokyo Empire is mobilizing towards Miyako's temple, and Tetsuo says he has quit taking drugs cold turkey.

I haven't noticed until now just how long it's been since Kaneda was in the story. I guess I was just waiting for his time to turn up again, but he still hasn't. It makes a little more sense now why the fourth and fifth volumes are named after Kei, but so far it seems more like Miyako and Tetsuo have been the main driving forces of the plot. Now I wonder what's going on with Kaneda.

Also @almightybismarck what you're describing happened in chapter 60. The true halfway point of the story. That was quite a hefty chunk of lore to take in.
@GurschachX Tetsuo and Akira is the main driving force. Miyako is just a supporting cast. But Miyako did turn out to be a really interesting character.
Dec 3, 2023 8:42 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to almightybismarck
@GurschachX Tetsuo and Akira is the main driving force. Miyako is just a supporting cast. But Miyako did turn out to be a really interesting character.
@almightybismarck According to MAL's character page, Miyako is considered a main character. I wouldn't say Akira is much of a driving force when he acts more like a figurehead to the plans that Tetsuo and the Great Tokyo Empire's Captain both put in motion. Miyako seems to be what leads Kei, Chiyoko and Colonel into each other's paths, and for that reason I can see her as being more of a driving force for the opposition towards Tetsuo. If Tetsuo and Akira were the only two driving forces, the story would be without a true protagonist at this point, wouldn't it?
Dec 3, 2023 8:56 PM
May 2017
Reply to GurschachX
@almightybismarck According to MAL's character page, Miyako is considered a main character. I wouldn't say Akira is much of a driving force when he acts more like a figurehead to the plans that Tetsuo and the Great Tokyo Empire's Captain both put in motion. Miyako seems to be what leads Kei, Chiyoko and Colonel into each other's paths, and for that reason I can see her as being more of a driving force for the opposition towards Tetsuo. If Tetsuo and Akira were the only two driving forces, the story would be without a true protagonist at this point, wouldn't it?
@GurschachX Miyako is the main leader of the opposition. But overall story have driven by Akira and Tetsuo. Even if Akira was just, for the most part, figurehead. It was him who caused the explosion, that drived the experiment and got Tetsuo interest into the power.
Dec 3, 2023 9:04 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to almightybismarck
@GurschachX Miyako is the main leader of the opposition. But overall story have driven by Akira and Tetsuo. Even if Akira was just, for the most part, figurehead. It was him who caused the explosion, that drived the experiment and got Tetsuo interest into the power.
@almightybismarck As a whole, yes I agree. I guess I'm thinking more specifically within the confines of volume 4. Akira was much more of a driving force in volume 2 and 3 when he was the object of everyone's mission. Now that Akira has achieved his level of power, it seems like he can just do whatever he wants while everyone else around him does all the fighting.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akira Chapter 87 Discussion

supersayen - Nov 1, 2010

6 by BartCreator »»
Jun 1, 7:32 PM

Poll: » Akira Chapter 120 Discussion

linkjoker - Apr 17, 2017

17 by almightybismarck »»
Feb 19, 8:18 AM

Poll: » Akira Chapter 116 Discussion

GurschachX - Dec 6, 2023

1 by almightybismarck »»
Feb 19, 8:06 AM

Poll: » Akira Chapter 113 Discussion

GurschachX - Dec 6, 2023

3 by almightybismarck »»
Feb 19, 2:50 AM

» Akira ending

Jacky08 - Feb 14

3 by Jacky08 »»
Feb 16, 12:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.