Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 29, 2023 5:33 PM

Nov 2023
Just finished Bakemonogatari today, now I know why most people like this franchise and the OP "Renai Circulation", because it really has a nice and likeable cast of characters hence why it's pretty popular. Looking forward to watching Kizumonogatari. (I'm watching in the Nisio Isin order.)
5hyguyNov 30, 2023 6:21 AM
Nov 29, 2023 5:41 PM
Oct 2020
Great Masterpiece
Nov 29, 2023 5:51 PM

Apr 2021
Not really hidden imo, but definitely a gem.
Fish_Fricker69
Papa's Pizzeria
Security/Night Watch
Nov 29, 2023 5:57 PM
Sep 2020
Fish_Fricker69 said:
Not really hidden imo, but definitely a gem.

Monogatari novels are extremely popular, especially in Japan

If i'm not mistaken, it's one of the best-selling in the world
Nov 29, 2023 6:02 PM
Mar 2021
as somebody mentioned, this is not hidden at all, but it's amazing imo
Nov 29, 2023 6:06 PM
Jul 2022
Monogatari is one of the least hidden series out there
Nov 29, 2023 6:06 PM
Nov 2021
In the kidst of watching the whole series, I wish they would tone down the pedophile shit because the animation and voice acting is great.

The pedophile stuff just makes me not want to watch it though.
Nov 29, 2023 6:11 PM
Apr 2023
DrFlamingLeaf said:
In the kidst of watching the whole series, I wish they would tone down the pedophile shit because the animation and voice acting is great.

That’s why I don’t really like this series at all, the story writing is great but “those parts” make me feel uncomfortable when knowing how old they are.
Nov 29, 2023 6:16 PM
Sep 2019
over 1.3 million members and #90 popularity just on Mal. but yeah, I still love it.
Nov 29, 2023 6:30 PM
Oct 2022
I didn't really like it that much. Glad you enjoyed it though.
Nov 29, 2023 7:14 PM
Sep 2021
if you thought Bake was good, you'll love Kizu
Nov 29, 2023 7:38 PM
Jan 2022
Greatest supernatural anime out there. Number one comfort anime. My love is for this series is immense, because it it impeccable in terms of characters, dialogues, story, comedy, interactions and it has quality female cast.

You wanna watch smth that has all of that? Drop all trashy isekais, mid shounen and hentais you are watching rn like a hot potato and start Monogatari.
RipperdocNov 29, 2023 8:05 PM
Nov 29, 2023 7:55 PM
Nov 2022
Calling monogatari a hidden gem is like calling assassination classroom underrated

It's kinda wrong but no one blames you for being a bit uninformed because the nature of these kinds of media makes it a bit hard to judge it's popularity without looking at the numbers + the community response after the hype has died down
Nov 29, 2023 7:57 PM

Jan 2016
How can it be a hidden gem if it is well known?
Nov 29, 2023 8:12 PM
Jan 2020
Hidden gem? I guess if you weren’t part of the anime community when it was being released or if you had your head in the sand and only watched Shonen action series until now.

Monogatari series is one of those anime a lot of people like but isn’t necessarily the first thing they think of when recommending anime.
Nov 29, 2023 8:22 PM
Jan 2022
ReXiRa said:
Calling monogatari a hidden gem is like calling assassination classroom underrated

It's kinda wrong but no one blames you for being a bit uninformed because the nature of these kinds of media makes it a bit hard to judge it's popularity without looking at the numbers + the community response after the hype has died down

Monogatari possesses a value and beauty that is not immediatly apparent, which therefore has received far less recognition than it deserves. Additionally, you don't see commercials, trailers and other advertisements of Mono like some other mainstream shows from which people decide to watch this series.

In that regard, Monogatari definetly has the traits of a hidden gem.

Edit: I am only talking about Mono being a hidden gem NOWADAYS. Idk how it was when it aired. I can agree it not being a hidden gem in that time.
RipperdocNov 29, 2023 8:34 PM
Nov 29, 2023 8:48 PM

Jan 2023
"hidden", not really sure that's a good word choice for monogatari
死人に口なし
Nov 29, 2023 9:16 PM
Dec 2021
Not hidden, but u are right
Nov 29, 2023 9:33 PM
Mar 2020
It definitely is a gem, and I agree with others in the replies that it isn’t hidden and is very popular. However, from my own experience, finding another Monogatari fan in real life is like finding diamonds in Minecraft. In that regard, you could argue that it is a hidden gem. The series boasts the best characterization and character development I’ve seen in anime, along with having a profound emotional impact on my life. It helped me a lot in hard times, and I can relate to many of the characters. To newcomers to the series, thank you for picking it up. We’re glad to have you here, and you’re going to love the rest of the series.
Nov 29, 2023 10:02 PM
Jul 2020
wouldn't say 'hidden' but it's definitely not mainstream. you won't find dozens of people around the corner that have watched even one full season of monogatari, as would be the case with naruto or demon slayer

in fact half of those people would be the ones who tried to watch but couldn't because of the 'supposedly pedo' MC. Not that us fans care what others think about the series.
Nov 29, 2023 10:32 PM
May 2016
DrFlamingLeaf said:

Luckily for you, there are no pedohphile parts in the show.
Nov 29, 2023 10:50 PM
Nov 2021
ktg said:
DrFlamingLeaf said:

So the groping of Hachikuji or the weird sexual parts with sengoku aren't pedophilic? Sure.
Nov 29, 2023 10:57 PM

Jul 2015
It's an absolute classic, that gatekeeps itself, because it's absolutely NOT a gateway anime, which heavily relies on dialogues and characterisation.
I fear the day Twitter discovers it tho.

It's been like five years since the last installment. I hope Shaft will make more.

Nov 29, 2023 11:12 PM

Apr 2020
Not hidden, my dude^^
Nov 29, 2023 11:14 PM

Jun 2016
I think it's one of the most visible out in the open gems out there.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Nov 29, 2023 11:24 PM
Sep 2021
5hyguy said:
Just finished Bakemonogatari today, now I know why most people like this franchise and the OP "Renai Circulation", because it really has a nice and likeable cast of characters hence why it's pretty popular. Looking forward to watching Kizumonogatari. (I'm watching in the Nisio Isin order.)

you liked bake then can't wait to see your reaction after you watch the kizu trilogy
Nov 30, 2023 12:46 AM
May 2016
Reply to DrFlamingLeaf
ktg said:
DrFlamingLeaf said:

So the groping of Hachikuji or the weird sexual parts with sengoku aren't pedophilic? Sure.
@DrFlamingLeaf If you know what pedophilia means, then no, it's not pedophilic.
If you don't know, then you can call it that, but that statement tells more about you than about the series.
Nov 30, 2023 12:49 AM
Nov 2021
ktg said:
If you don't know, then you can call it that, but that statement tells more about you than about the series.

Sexual feelings directed towards children. Sengoku and Hachikuji are children

Pretty cut and dry here. Why are you trying so hard to defend it and acting so high and mighty lmao.
Nov 30, 2023 12:57 AM

Jul 2020
how is it hidden xD
Nov 30, 2023 1:29 AM

Feb 2021
Absolutely a masterpiece, but given that it's within the top 100 most popular anime, I don't think it can be considered a "hidden gem". I mean it's ranked higher than Madoka Magica for popularity, and that anime certainly isn't unknown.
Nov 30, 2023 1:50 AM
May 2016
Reply to DrFlamingLeaf
ktg said:

Sexual feelings directed towards children. Sengoku and Hachikuji are children

Pretty cut and dry here. Why are you trying so hard to defend it and acting so high and mighty lmao.
@DrFlamingLeaf Lol, liked I said, you don't know what it means.
Based on that definition, Araragi is pedophile because at the start of the series Hanekawa was also a child.

And btw, no, Araragi had no sexual feeling towards them. That was pretty clear from the start. Compare his action towards Hachikuji vs Hanekawa. H eacts completely differently, because towards Hanekawa, he actually feels sexual attraction.
Nov 30, 2023 2:39 AM
Aug 2020
wait until you make it half to the series it's a real deal
Nov 30, 2023 3:41 AM

Aug 2020
I'm not into lolicon but I like all the gags with the lolis in the show. I'm just pushing P (positivity)
Nov 30, 2023 6:12 AM
Aug 2021
DrFlamingLeaf said:

Drop it and get filtered imo
Nov 30, 2023 6:21 AM

Nov 2023
Don't mind me, just removing the "hidden" in the title. It isn't really hidden like most people said here.
Nov 30, 2023 7:06 AM
Nov 2020
It's really a great anime except for the sexualization of Children part. it disgusted me. Also the incest thingys made me uncomfortable. wished i could watch a a monogatari without these.
Nov 30, 2023 7:10 AM

Oct 2022
If I have to summarize in a sentence, it was an experience I can't get anywhere.

I don't think it was hidden (but is 100% a gem). But most people I talked to (mostly casual fan) doesn't know it exist and it kinda make me sad that I have no one to talk to with about this show.
Nov 30, 2023 8:06 AM
Nov 2021
ktg said:
Based on that definition, Araragi is pedophile because at the start of the series Hanekawa was also a child.

And btw, no, Araragi had no sexual feeling towards them. That was pretty clear from the start. Compare his action towards Hachikuji vs Hanekawa. H eacts completely differently, because towards Hanekawa, he actually feels sexual attraction.

So your defense is just arguing semantics lmao. Araragi in ep 9 at 23:36, "I do get one or two nasty thoughts in my head from seeing you naked, Sengoku" so that isn't sexual attraction? C'mon. It's okay to admit it.

You're so infatuated with this show you're being purposely obtuse.
Nov 30, 2023 8:58 AM
Aug 2023
Yes. It’s my favourite of all time. A true masterpiece in every sense of the word. Second Season is my favourite piece of media of all time.

It isn’t a hidden gem though, it’s quite popular. Although a casual anime watcher might not have heard or watched it because it’s so unique and generally not recommended nearly as often as other more popular anime.
KillLaKillGOATNov 30, 2023 9:05 AM
Nov 30, 2023 9:43 AM
May 2016
DrFlamingLeaf said:
ktg said:

So your defense is just arguing semantics lmao. Araragi in ep 9 at 23:36, "I do get one or two nasty thoughts in my head from seeing you naked, Sengoku" so that isn't sexual attraction? C'mon. It's okay to admit it.

This is the problem when you don't actually know the definition, you start saying idiotic things.
Yes, this is not pedophilic, by definition Sengoku is too old.
Nov 30, 2023 9:56 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to DrFlamingLeaf

@DrFlamingLeaf ikr?? someone should make a cut of the whole thing that edits out all the pedo and incest bullcrap. if it was released like that officially i'd have no reservations about calling it a masterpiece, but we aint in that timeline :(
Nov 30, 2023 9:57 AM
Nov 2021
ktg said:
DrFlamingLeaf said:

This is the problem when you don't actually know the definition, you start saying idiotic things.

Oh so now you're arguing 13 is okay but 12 lmao. Keep enjoying the sexualization of little girls big guy.
Nov 30, 2023 10:16 AM
May 2016
DrFlamingLeaf said:
ktg said:

Oh so now you're arguing 13 is okay but 12 lmao. Keep enjoying the sexualization of little girls big guy.

It's always funny when someone can't read and thinks they're smart.
Yes, if we are talking about definitions, then it's not pedophilia.

To be fair, you are the closest one here to be a pedophile, because you want it so badly to be pedophilia that you don't even care about the actual definition.
Nov 30, 2023 2:24 PM
Feb 2023
For the characters bro ngl, their developments are gold
Nov 30, 2023 10:50 PM
Dec 2020
I prefer the light novel first to actually understand the puns and jokes inside. It's difficult to understand at first . It has a much similar art style to La chinoise by jean luc godard.
Dec 1, 2023 7:21 AM
Nov 2021
well you will have alot more to look forward to ;)
Dec 1, 2023 10:14 AM
Feb 2019
Never watched past season 1

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 25, 2009

690 by animejas »»
Jun 5, 11:16 AM

» How did the main character didn't get killed in the final episode?

emryuu - May 30

1 by Merve2Love »»
May 30, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 31, 2009

357 by xVitro »»
May 21, 9:44 PM

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

29 by salarx »»
May 5, 12:14 PM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 3, 2009

511 by Dragona_8002 »»
Apr 28, 11:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.