Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 29, 2023 2:16 AM
Feb 2021
Recently, I finished Gundam Iron Blooden Orphans for the first time. It was a series that I never knew about until I listened to Orga's theme from the second season. I liked the music quite a lot, but I only went out of my way to watch the show Once I saw it was leaving Netflix at the end of this month. So I binged the whole thing and wondered why no one had been talking about it, especially off the heels of Gundam's high popularity with Gundam, the Witch from Mercury. This show has a lot of heart and hits hard in its emotional moments. With large plot points like Orga's death, Mikazuki's final moments, and Tekkadan's future. to small points with the crew just chatting with each other and other interactions. You could actually feel with the characters when they lost a member of the team because each character wasn't just used for pushing a plot point or being the comic relief character. For the most point, the characters were written well, even though The female characters were sometimes inconsistent and written poorly. (Like with Mikazuki, Kudelia, and Atra Love Triangle thing, IDK, Being mainly shoved in at the last moment. Even though I guess it was supposed to be for Atra's character development and to show that Mikazuki had more in his life because of it. IDK, Anyway ) It didn't Get in the way of the story for me. I noticed that a lot of the heart and character development was due to the length of the show and focusing on other characters instead of just being Orga and Mikazuki. Witch is something that I think the more recent Gundam Witch from Mercury lacked. That show focused mainly on fleshing out the relationship between Suletta and Miorine, their insecurities about themselves, and the way they view the world.

A lot of the build-up in season one was wasted between the second season due to pore pacing and needing more episodes. By the time we get to heavy politics in season two, the show is pretty much already done and in the final battle, which is more on the side of interrelations instead of politics. Don't get me wrong, I still think the show is a banger. I just think some of the things could have been better if it was given the length to rely on flesh things out. The season is the perfect chef's kiss, but the second season just doesn't balance politics and relationships that well. But it is still a nine out of ten in my book. IBO does a better job of doing this to a certain degree; the politics are amazing in the show. But the main love triangle thing just falls flat. I think both shows demonstrate the Gundam Curse very well. I do like IBO's interpretation of it better, with Mikazuki losing more of himself to Barbatos the longer he fought, Becoming one with him towards the end. I already knew that he was going to die the moment he got into the Gundam, but it still hit that emotional high for me at the end. His final lines in the series just hurt, with him realizing that he had made it to the place that he was searching for the entire show. I think that this show is a Hidden Gem, and I was pleasantly surprised watching it. Did it have its flaws? Yes, which I'll probably get into more once I post a review and gather my thoughts more. These are just my initial thoughts, and I was just wondering why this series isn't talked about more, even though it has been six years since its initial release.
Oct 29, 2023 3:33 AM

Oct 2015
For me, After War Gundam X and Turn A Gundam are the hidden gems in Gundam.

I am probably in the minority that likes X more than Wing and SEED. :/
Oct 29, 2023 5:06 AM

Jun 2016
Reply to NewestPersonHere
For me, After War Gundam X and Turn A Gundam are the hidden gems in Gundam.

I am probably in the minority that likes X more than Wing and SEED. :/
@NewestPersonHere Agreed. X is excellent and better than both Wing and SEED even though its final arc could use some work.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 29, 2023 7:07 AM
Feb 2018
I don't think it is. It was very popular in it's time, and brought A LOT of people into Gundam. There is an interview in the show's website with one of the main designers in Witch From Mercury (I think the mechanical one) where he says IBO got him into Gundam, that he didn't really watched any before.
Oct 29, 2023 10:10 AM
Mar 2020
iron blooded orphans is so far my favorite Gundam show. I agree with you that it is a little under rated. I think I might know why people may have either rated it lower or just not watched it.

I think people may rated it lower than I think it should be because of the controversy of child labor, some of the enemies being dumb, and I think the biggest one is the ending is sad. It isn't a tear jerker and then feeling refreshed afterwards kind of sad but more depression kind of sad. People seem to search more for an escape from reality than a realistic show.

The reason I think why not enough people watch it is because there is so many Gundam shows it is hard where to start. I think of it like the fate series. Luckily most don't have characters thar weave into different series. You asked why it is under rated instead of why people love this show so much so I will stop here. You probably already know that the shows good points is almost everything else in this show.
Oct 29, 2023 10:16 AM
Jun 2021
IBO got me into Gundam. I’ve only seen IBo, Gundam Origin, the Gundam 1 2 and 3 movies, and witch from mercury. I think Gundam in general is just hard to get into
Oct 30, 2023 6:02 AM
Apr 2014
There 3 major problems with X
1) Too little Carris
2) Too much Frost Bros
3) The show got caught wasting time doing monster of the week episodes towards the end and so had rush everything once it got canceled.

On the topic of IBO, though. IBO is great but Kudelia being shoved aside in S2 was a big mistake imo
Oct 30, 2023 7:36 AM
Apr 2021
I loved reading your ideas on IBO! Actually it is one of my all-time favorite: I’ve last count how many times I binge-watched it ☺️ It’s absolutely mature-themed and a quite well-build story that is gripping. On one hand it is emotional and on the other hand it’s action-packed. Although the ending is really sad but it couldn’t even be better! ❤️
Oct 30, 2023 10:10 PM

Mar 2017
IBO is defo a good starting series for Gundam. I usually recommend it or Gundam 00. There are a lot of gems throughout the Gundam series - to name some of the classic Universal Century OVAs like 0083 Stardust Memory, War in the Pocket and the 08th MS team. These titles are known within the Gundam community, but someone getting into Gundam fresh wouldn't be aware of them immediately. I'm just glad more and more people discover the franchise through the newer titles like IBO and WFM, it's a fantastic franchise and is well worth getting into.
yanukanOct 31, 2023 12:14 AM
Nov 1, 2023 9:11 AM

Mar 2013
Cons: you get a bad ending without a waifu. The End.
I'd only recommend Seed and 00 (for me).
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jun 12, 4:11 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to CrazyButNot4U
Cons: you get a bad ending without a waifu. The End.
I'd only recommend Seed and 00 (for me).
@CrazyButNot4U seed is obviously the best one. Unless you are Dorian Tobias Finn who spams anti seed posts non stop on social media.

No one really cared about this show and urdr hunt flopping proved it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 2, 2017

408 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
Jun 11, 3:32 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2017

220 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 1, 1:59 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 5, 2017

156 by LotteGiants »»
Mar 31, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2017

217 by LotteGiants »»
Mar 31, 9:14 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2017

118 by LotteGiants »»
Mar 31, 4:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.