Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 18, 2023 11:11 AM

Mar 2023
I see a lot of talk about English dubs here but to all non Anglos here. What is your opinion on the dubs in your native language. Do you think that people from your country makes great dubs, or do they do a horrible job?
The voice acting industry in different part of the world has always been fascinating to me. So im curious.
SpunkertAug 18, 2023 11:19 AM
Aug 18, 2023 11:21 AM

Jun 2016
Can't speak for modern Greek dubs but the Greek dubs I grew up with were terrible. Miscasts, voice actors changing mid season, questionable performances and some very weird choices when it came to tbe script.
If I had to say something positive is that the jokes usually worked.
Also dubbed animated movies were always great, it was only TV that got the shit dubs.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 18, 2023 11:26 AM

Feb 2020
I guess Finnish dubs are generally quite good, but there are some total failures such as Digimon Adventure for example.
Aug 18, 2023 11:36 AM

May 2019
I grew up watching French dubs of anime and they're generally pretty decent to quite good and very serviceable for a francophone speaking audience.
Aug 18, 2023 12:02 PM
Jul 2018
Theo1899 said:
Can't speak for modern Greek dubs but the Greek dubs I grew up with were terrible. Miscasts, voice actors changing mid season, questionable performances and some very weird choices when it came to tbe script.
If I had to say something positive is that the jokes usually worked.
Also dubbed animated movies were always great, it was only TV that got the shit dubs.

best anime dubbing effort were made by our public TV dubbing studio

https://www.greekdubdb.com/studio?id=5&page=1

the 80s complete dubs were overall very good, especially the various kids euro-japanese co-productions. Unfortunately a lot of them were lost, especially the pre-mid80s ones, because the public TV staff would tape football and other broadcasts over the master tapes.  Eg original dubs of Heidi and Maya the Bee and many cartoons too like the original Smurfs dub met that fate. New dubs of those series were inferior. I had the chance to listen to an excerpt of the original dub of Heidi recently.
While others are probably kept in some warehouse, non-digitized, like the original Nils Holgersson dub.
Unfortunately Greece is far behind in media preservation. Eg Italy has majority of old cartoons and anime preserved and on DVD.

Other notable studios for anime and cartoons are Studio Cross, SPK, Audiovisual and Sierra Post though their work quality can vary, unlike the public studio dubs and not all their works are available for rewatch

https://www.greekdubdb.com/studio?id=13&page=1
https://www.greekdubdb.com/studio?id=9&page=1
https://www.greekdubdb.com/studio?id=2
https://www.greekdubdb.com/studio?id=1
Aug 18, 2023 1:16 PM

Nov 2020
my country don't get many dubs of anime, its mainly european and american cartoons that gets the dubs. But we do have some kids shows and some miyazaki movies that has had dubs. 

As far as I remember, pokemon (first season and the first few movies) had a very good dub, I still love the swedish voices. I know the first season of sailor moon got a dub, but it didn't air on the channels I watched so I never saw it. Beyblade had good voices, digimon was good, yugioh gx had a decent dub. In general I feel like my country was very good at doing dubs for most things in the 90s and early 2000. I feel like they have fairly poor choices in dubbing today tho, but that's based only on disney movies as I haven't seen any new anime shows in swedish and I don't know if anything has even been dubbed lately. 

I remember watching ponyo in swedish and while the voices were okay, the music was way too loud and the voices way too low. 

Edit: I did check out a trailer and some clips of swedish voices for howls moving castle, not a fan of those voices. Its translated well, but I don't feel like they picked good voices there. x'D 
TheTrueRedbloodAug 18, 2023 1:24 PM
Aug 18, 2023 1:29 PM

Jan 2020
Our case is not a country but a region of ~20 countries (Latin American Spanish). Dubs are mostly good in my opinion yet there are many good anime that lack dub. Some dubbed anime have been praised here like Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya or Sailor Moon, partly due to their fidelity and voice acting, the cases where censorship have affected the quality of a dub are few (COUGH, Utena).

Dubbed anime became a more rare thing since mid 2000s due to several factors, but now in the 2020s we are seeing a revival of dubbed anime, with even cases of dubbing openings like Full Moon wo Sagashite's OP
eblf2013Aug 18, 2023 1:33 PM
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Aug 18, 2023 2:20 PM

Aug 2012
As for the anime dubbed into Hindi or Urdu, the results are underwhelming. While a lot of anime have been dubbed, the quality of the sound and the tones just seem off. The characters sound rther robotic and the voice acting very rarely fits the characers. Also, I feel that the dubbing quality has not seen any noticeable improvement.
Aug 18, 2023 2:33 PM

Sep 2017
French dubs are in general pretty good, especially for the movies (mostly the Ghibli but other movies as well)
Aug 18, 2023 2:33 PM

Jun 2020
There are 2 types of Spanish dubs, the European Spanish ones and the ones from Latin America. I think that the ones from Latin America are very good and possibly better than English dubs

Aug 18, 2023 2:48 PM

Sep 2017
I grew up with Persian dub of Captain Tsubasa. It was great honestly, there were some stuff like assigning female CV to all the characters for the childish sound
I saw dubbed 2:43 on some TV channel some days ago. It was...not bad
خ
Aug 18, 2023 3:04 PM

Jul 2012
the german dub culture is quite good, we even have shows were i would say the german voices are better than the originals at least for my taste. In anime form detective conan or Black Lagoon. Other shows were i found the german dub better are Big Bang Theory, Scrubs and Futurama.

Sadly our dub culture is mostly for non anime stuff, so most of the anime dub still sucks.

Aug 18, 2023 3:35 PM

Dec 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm4bJKlawi0
Dragonball actually got a swedish dub same with Tanoshii Muumin Ikka.
But i just cant find it, don't think the ep's got released on youtube or some one recorded it and uploaded,i only found this.
We have OP and DB manga too and a few mor translateted to swedish. 
What i need t osay is that, Swedish as a language is extremly cringe. A lot of our words dosen't really have a impact as english once does.
It's a really dorky language, so when i read EVA the first chapter on Swedish my brain started to melt and i ended up buying it on English too.
Swedish dosen't have many good actors, and the good once have left Sweden and went to the US so those good actor never did any dub either as you will find in the US.
No, it's bad really bad. + it exist good english dub like Golden Boy, Nodame first season on english dub is f ar better then the Japanese dub verison.
I'm a huge Jap Dub fan, i even watch older shows in raw as they dosent have a englis htranslation yet. I love japanese, especielly if they have a dialect like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yht5-vd7ulw <- i love this. 
But that's not something i would ever get in english or swedish dub. It would be more like this: https://twitter.com/i/status/1568964579941838850.

I'm a big nono of funimations last 15 years of voice acting or at least close to everything.

Im sad i could not find a good swedish transaltion to show you ppl. You would have died by cringe :(

Aug 18, 2023 3:53 PM

Aug 2017
I find most French anime dubs bland and somehow bad compared to subs.

But GTO and some older anime had interesting dubs. They dared dubbing the characters with notable voices, which gave them more personnality.

Antway, I would still watch my shows dubbed, rarely a dub out of nostalgia, like Pokémon.
Aug 18, 2023 4:06 PM

Sep 2010
German dubs are far superior to English and Japanese, I always prefer them if available.

Some clips if you are interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okg0jZIRGhs (Monogatari)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XYotux00Ek (Toradora)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtiIpu-5e7Q (To Love Ru)
Aug 18, 2023 10:56 PM

Mar 2013
Here in Brazil the dubbing is very good, but I don't see anything dubbed. In terms of anime, I don't see it dubbed either, but it must be good too.
Aug 19, 2023 2:40 AM

Jun 2021
italian dub is beautiful, and it had a really large role into making anime more popular in the entire nation especially starting with the late 90's. Before, it had more often some problems here and there but it was mostly for executive meddlings by the local or mainstream networks that forced censorship etc. etc. When i watched the entire original Urusei Yatsura anime from 2019 to 2021 (even if the real first seen episodes were in 2006) i immediately noticed that the italian cast was on full revolving-doors mode for most characters (Lum stayed always the same for the actual main series, but Ataru had at least 6 voice actors in the same span, two of them even briefly returned here and there, and Lum's Stormtroopers on rotation have all been dubbed at some point by the same - amazing, i will gladly add - voice actor that also covered Mendo Shutaro for most of the time, even returning 15/20 years later in the mid 2000's for the final portion of episodes not yet translated before). And i'm not even counting the films and OVAs that were dubbed in Milan instead of Rome (have to seem them yet honestly, 2022 series was dubbed in Milan with a newer generation cast that in recent years covers almost all of italian releases on Crunchyroll and Amazon Prime Video). And still, it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the show even if i still prefer Ranma 1/2 from the same author (and it was a little less stable with its italian dub cast even if with its own behind the scenes events).

To be honest, i'm heavily biased in favor of dubs out of a combination of nostalgia, thankfulness for making me enjoy anime in general more than ever, and most of all because they almost always actually did a really good job. Now the times have changed a lot, their work too out of reasons voice actors and the behind the scenes crew have no control of, and it's clear for everyone that their shifts working all together at the same episode in the same room, instead of the more currently usual one by one recording their lines alone, seem sadly a thing of the past as confirmed by multiple top-notch names from their job. Whatever, i'm still extremely glad to support their job and the upcoming new generation.
Aug 19, 2023 4:11 AM

Apr 2023
German syncronization is pretty good, mostly on par with the original, sometimes i even prefer it. But "special" cases exist.
Aug 19, 2023 6:35 AM
Jul 2018
German dubs are always quite good unless they try to sound "anime-ish" (like Gon from Hunter x Hunter or Rin from Fate/stay night). For comedy anime I always prefer the German dub and for many other anime as well. For example Attack on Titan, Death Note and Cowboy Bebop sound so much more fitting to me in German than in Japanese.
Aug 19, 2023 6:49 AM

Oct 2014
English speaker here, but I like watching stuff in other languages for the hell of it. I liked the Polish dub for Vampire in the Garden. I feel like it fit the tone well. I watched with English subtitles since I can't speak Polish.
Aug 19, 2023 8:09 AM
Nov 2019
There are no anime dubs in my native language. I grew up with German dubs and I can say confidently: German dubs used to be really, really good. 

If you watch German dubs from the 90's/early 2000's (Detective Conan, Yu-Gi-Oh, Inuyasha, Pokemon, Death Note, etc), they really put in effort to find voice-actors whose voices fit the characters. They also made some changes to names and dialog to make it sound more natural in German. 

An example would be Inuyasha where they changed Miroku, Naraku and Sesshoumaru to Miroke, Narake and Sesshouma, which sounds a lot more natural.  
(At least in the first ~100 episodes, afterwards they went with the "u" at the end. Which is most likely because the anime wasn't dubbed all at once and had multiple years of hiatus for the dub (same as the German Detective Conn dub))
Although in the one Inuyasha-movie I saw, they also fucked it up by adding -san, -chan, etc to the names as well as changing Miroku's name to "Houshi-sama" which made me stay away from the German dub of the other movies, so yeah...

Anyway, the point is, back in the day the German dubs were (usually) really good, on par with the original even, whereas nowadays the quality dropped quite a bit. The voices, more often than not, don't fit the characters anymore, they either sound to young or to old. The dialog is sometimes really "meh" too. 
Aug 19, 2023 8:31 AM

Mar 2023
I have only watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers in romanian, a long time ago. Other than that only sub and a few times dub when sub wasn't avaiilabe.
e
Aug 19, 2023 11:34 AM

Nov 2011
I've watched anime dubbed in Portuguese and Korean and they do a pretty good job in my book. I'd love to try and watch a few series in French, Italian and German dub sometimes. Presumably gochiusa takes place in a country heavily inspired by France, so it would be interesting to see how the characters would sound if they spoke French instead. Same with Aria the Animation in Italian and AOT in German.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language

More topics from this board

» Is It Okay to Watch Anime All Day? ( 1 2 )

RedTea33 - May 30

61 by Merve2Love »»
4 minutes ago

» What is the coolest anime pet?

SgtBateMan - 48 minutes ago

6 by Zarutaku »»
5 minutes ago

» Why is fairytail the only Shonen anime that people complain for the power of Friendship when evrey other Shonen anime does.

Lol1268 - 10 hours ago

24 by AngelMilky_15 »»
7 minutes ago

» Did you "really" watch a show if you didn't see it in Blu-Ray?

Dragevard - 9 hours ago

20 by FanofAction »»
16 minutes ago

» Exploring Taste Shaming

-Indra - May 30

47 by PostMahouShoujo »»
58 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.