Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 17, 2022 12:45 AM

Sep 2018
Who do you think the main target audience is here? There could be a couple of answers IMO, because this fetish anime has both the submissive weak Male and the Domineering strong Female.

I'm going to go with the Female audience more here, the cool, Miss Perfect archetype seems much more desirable, rather than inserting into some feminine guy who acts like an seven year old when he's embarrassed or upset. You just wonder when this dude is going to get inevitably pegged by his GF one day...

But that's just my take on this, what do we all think?
Apr 17, 2022 12:57 AM

Nov 2021
Was waiting for this one ngl 😂
SELF INSERTION 🗿

(Desktop mode) ⬇️

Watching this season

My Anime list

Comment
Apr 17, 2022 12:58 AM
Apr 2019
lol i agree with u but i find their relationship dynamic pretty nice 💀 maybe that's just me being a sub •́ ‿ ,•̀
Apr 17, 2022 1:03 AM

Sep 2018
And by the way, I'm in no way criticizing or shaming your particular kinks and fetishes, if that's what you like or participate in, then that's all fine and dandy. They are your interests and you have the right to do them.
Apr 17, 2022 1:19 AM

Jul 2015
Małe, obviously.
If genders were reversed, you'd have generic shoujo romcom.

Apr 17, 2022 1:32 AM
Aug 2017
I think neither honestly, I feel like they're not vague enough as characters for either to work too well as a self insert, seems like more of a "hey you want some diabetes?" type show
Apr 17, 2022 3:05 AM

Nov 2021
Tbh didn't think about that but I feel like it's for the male audience can't give a reason tho

anyway the mc is really bland who gets flustered even by little things which is like a bit cringe tbh
Apr 17, 2022 3:29 AM

Nov 2015
I just don't get the appeal of this show. It's even more bland than Tonikaku Kawaii. There's no reason for these people to be a couple except for "reasons" and the male character is just utterly spineless and pathetic. The male MC in Tonikaku Kawaii was boring and ridiculously innocent but he had a lot of good qualities too. You saw the reasons that couple existed. Both offered things to each other.

And the female MC in this show is...just as boring but at least she's capable of doing things.

This is just incomprehensible as an interesting show. It feels like this girl is more of a bodyguard/babysitter than a girlfriend.
Apr 17, 2022 3:45 AM
Dec 2017
delta5 said:
I just don't get the appeal of this show. It's even more bland than Tonikaku Kawaii. There's no reason for these people to be a couple except for "reasons" and the male character is just utterly spineless and pathetic. The male MC in Tonikaku Kawaii was boring and ridiculously innocent but he had a lot of good qualities too. You saw the reasons that couple existed. Both offered things to each other.

And the female MC in this show is...just as boring but at least she's capable of doing things.

This is just incomprehensible as an interesting show. It feels like this girl is more of a bodyguard/babysitter than a girlfriend.

I totally agree. Tonikawai is a good comparison, because that show is, what this show aspired to be, and failed misarably. All of Shikimori's fans defend the show without actually answering the proper criticisms, and created a straw man, where the only problem with the show, is that the MC is weak and beta, hence the attackers are misogynists, or insecure , and can't accept strong female characters.

While in Tonikawai we already had that MC and Female lead, and they didn't get similar attacks, because the guy had a good personality, admirable traits beside being phisically weak and not an adonis, and the girl's admiration was understandable. Their dynamic was wholesome and their relationship made sense.

Here we have nothing, just an unrealistically strong girl with switches between two unrealistic "personalities" with one trait each, and an MC who doesn't have any personality or trait, other than being unlucky, and nice and their relationship doesn't make any sense.
Apr 17, 2022 5:52 AM

Oct 2021
There is nothing to stop you from self-inserting yourself to the waifu even though you're a straight guy.

My desire to protect Izumi is just bigger than the waifu-bait ngl.

Tbh, I relate more to Bakugo guy lmao.
Apr 17, 2022 5:58 AM
Nov 2021
I personally don't relate to izumi at all. I'm way more athletic than him. I can actually kick a soccer ball.
Apr 17, 2022 7:01 AM

May 2021
Well, if it means having someone like Shikimori-san protect me, then I would totally self-insert into Imaizumi.

Apr 17, 2022 7:33 AM
Jan 2020
Yeah, "sELf iNSeRt"

C'mon they basically just reversed the trope.
Apr 17, 2022 7:42 AM
Nov 2015
*laughs in bisexual*
Apr 17, 2022 10:42 AM
May 2021
I'm about to drop it just because of the annoying MC, but I want to know how they got together in the first place so I might be patient
Apr 17, 2022 11:22 AM

Jan 2013
This isn't really a "fetish" anime. Nagatoro-san fits that bill much better. There's certainly a role reversal dynamic, but at least the manga intends for it to be more wholesome/natural, while I don't know what the fuck is happening in the anime. I would say the target audience is definitely male, and while guys into dominant girls will find more to like here, a cute, capable waifu, with a cool demeanor can't ever be a bad thing.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 17, 2022 11:29 AM

Jan 2013
EdgyLord666 said:
There is nothing to stop you from self-inserting yourself to the waifu even though you're a straight guy.

I know it's anime and all, and his face is clearly drawn more feminine, but I'm not entirely sure if that sounds "straight" to me. lol
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 17, 2022 11:35 AM
Nov 2019
before i wrap up by saying this show is definitely a male self-insert. i just want to say, reading your post i was reminded of a relatively old anime by the name of mayo chiki (i believe it was made in 2011) which i think matches that description better. point being that this show isn't as original as you might think

side note: shikimori (i swear that was the name of some shinigami in bleach) is just another "whifu of the season" that will soon get forgotten so, dont concern yourself that much.
Apr 17, 2022 1:22 PM

Jul 2008
intended audience is probable male, but as a girl I can speak to the shikimori aspect. who wouldn't want to be the most popular girl, look like a model and have random people tell you how beautiful you are, have a ton of people wanting to be your friend, and also have a boyfriend who practically worships you?
squishApr 17, 2022 1:27 PM
Apr 17, 2022 1:32 PM

Nov 2020
It's a Best Girl/Perfect Girlfriend show, so the main target audience is definitely male.

Don't know about the self-insert part of the question though, because outside of having someone like Shikimori for a girlfriend, I'm not sure who would want to be Izumi.
Apr 17, 2022 1:43 PM

Oct 2021
LostSpectre said:
EdgyLord666 said:

I know it's anime and all, and his face is clearly drawn more feminine, but I'm not entirely sure if that sounds "straight" to me. lol

Adorable means adorable man, doesn't matter what the gender is. Izumi is just that precious.
Apr 17, 2022 6:19 PM

Jan 2013
EdgyLord666 said:
LostSpectre said:

Adorable means adorable man, doesn't matter what the gender is. Izumi is just that precious.
I guess that's just one reason that such rigid terms are outdated.
Apr 17, 2022 10:04 PM
Jan 2016
Male vs. female self-insertion aside, does anyone else feel like this series is 100% the author's wish fulfillment? Like it's primarily for the author's own self-insertion rather than for a specific gender or audience?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 23, 2022

173 by minetyun »»
Jun 15, 2:39 AM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2022

173 by enessenpai0 »»
Jun 14, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2022

168 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Jun 12, 4:27 AM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2022

206 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Jun 11, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2022

352 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Jun 10, 5:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.