Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 24, 2022 9:27 PM
Nov 2020
I'll be honest when I first saw this anime the art style really turned me off from watching. Gave me a kid show/disney vibes so I didn't start watching it when it first aired. But then one of my good friends told me I had to watch it because it was so good. So 4 episodes later I was hooked and couldn't wait till the next episode. However around the half way mark of the show. (When Hilling came to free her son) I found I just didn't have the same hype to watch the show and I honestly don't know why. Just wondering if anyone else finds the second half not as good as the first half/ reasons why.

No hate towards the anime I still enjoy it.
Feb 24, 2022 9:44 PM

May 2019
TheLastCrusaders said:
I'll be honest when I first saw this anime the art style really turned me off from watching. Gave me a kid show/disney vibes so I didn't start watching it when it first aired. But then one of my good friends told me I had to watch it because it was so good. So 4 episodes later I was hooked and couldn't wait till the next episode. However around the half way mark of the show. (When Hilling came to free her son) I found I just didn't have the same hype to watch the show and I honestly don't know why. Just wondering if anyone else finds the second half not as good as the first half/ reasons why.

No hate towards the anime I still enjoy it.

I stopped watching at around episode 12. When watching weekly I sometimes find that I lose the motivation to watch a show even if it’s really good (it was kind of overshadowed by mushoku tensei). But once I jumped back into it, I was able to binge to the current episode really easy. I recommend you just give it a try again when you get the motivation.
"Equivalent exchange. I'll give half of my life to you, if you give half of your life to me."
Feb 24, 2022 9:47 PM
Feb 2018
watch it, is so good
Feb 24, 2022 9:57 PM
Nov 2020
I'm all caught up to current episode. I think one big thing is there doesn't seem to be any real stakes. Early on it felt like there was consequences to actions but now it feels like no one is at risk of dying/ getting punished for mistakes. Everyone getting healed ect.
Feb 24, 2022 9:57 PM
Nov 2020
I'm all caught up to current episode. I think one big thing is there doesn't seem to be any real stakes. Early on it felt like there was consequences to actions but now it feels like no one is at risk of dying/ getting punished for mistakes. Everyone getting healed ect.
Feb 24, 2022 10:23 PM
Oct 2020
I share your sentiment that the second half is not as good as the first. The first part felt like everything was thought out, the characters were dynamic, and the actions/plot felt natural and interesting. But ever since this battle started I’ve just felt like the story was written less carefully and more emphasis on action for some reason, which was not what made the first part so amazing.

It reminds me of To Your Eternity where I thought the first episode was 10/10 material and phenomenally well done, but then the show just awkwardly decreases in quality.

The first 12 episodes the show was pushing a 10 for me but I’ll probably end up giving it an 8 now, unless these last couple episodes are mindblowingly good or awful.
Feb 25, 2022 12:10 AM

Mar 2021
Yeah I can completely relate. Now I'm just not looking forward to watching the new episodes.
Feb 25, 2022 12:25 AM
Feb 2021
I think if you measure stakes of a story by the body count, then yeah, I can see where you'd be disappointed. I look at each series as what they are, and what they provide. This series is about overcoming self-doubt, friendship, and learning forgiveness. What it does, it does at a high level.

Just like you wouldn't go to Attack on Titan for a straight-forward wholesome story or go to Demon Slayer for the character arcs.
Feb 25, 2022 3:04 AM
Nov 2020
DoobieSam said:
I think if you measure stakes of a story by the body count, then yeah, I can see where you'd be disappointed. I look at each series as what they are, and what they provide. This series is about overcoming self-doubt, friendship, and learning forgiveness. What it does, it does at a high level.

Just like you wouldn't go to Attack on Titan for a straight-forward wholesome story or go to Demon Slayer for the character arcs.

True I guess it just might not be my thing. For demon slayer I think its one of the best series because the focus,the fights scenes, are done superbly. Well the story is generic and the characters are not that intricate. I still enjoy Ousama ranking and I don't necessarily feel like there needs to be deaths left and right like akame ga kill or anything I just think showing some consequences for people's decisions and seeing the characters grow over a death would be cool. But your totally right this show isn't really aiming for that goal. And it does do its themes well. At the end of the day its probably just personal preference.
Feb 25, 2022 3:23 AM
May 2021
Osama ranking ep 19
Feb 25, 2022 6:28 AM
Jan 2016
For me the pace is slower in the second half, I still enjoy it but yeah waiting one week is too long...
Feb 25, 2022 6:54 AM

Sep 2018
Same as me. The second part still waiting for me btw
Feb 25, 2022 8:22 AM
Feb 2020
TheLastCrusaders said:

I understand what you say, but right now in the present, the story is not about that, in the future there could be deaths though, maybe Ouken will kill one of the big four in the next chapter.

Focus on what they are showing you, Miranjo's backstory, all the emotions and feelings, the mysteries, the brutality of the backstories, you want blood and death? in the backstories you have plenty of that. Also, even though Bojji, Despa and Kage are getting revived (with very good reasons/justification), the impact of them getting ACTUALLY KILLED was huge (at least for me), Ouken didn't hesitate and I loved that.
Feb 25, 2022 8:31 AM

Jan 2021
I agree, first half was better.
Its just that multiple perspectives are being played that makes it seem like a slow paced cour.
Feb 25, 2022 8:34 AM
Jan 2021
First half definitely better. Now it's dragging. They have been fighting Ouken for like 4 episodes now
Feb 25, 2022 11:35 AM

Jan 2020
LOL 🤣
these kinds of posts. ROFL
y'all got me weak 😂
cmon now let the dang anime run its course
Feb 25, 2022 12:21 PM

Dec 2013
security_desu said:
LOL 🤣
these kinds of posts. ROFL
y'all got me weak 😂
cmon now let the dang anime run its course

There's nothing wrong with these posts though.
Second part is much worse in every aspect.

IDK it started so good but now we're getting quite generic, corny shonen.
Feb 25, 2022 4:21 PM
Mar 2021
First cour was very great, second cour started not pretty well because new villains and world building development but not so much bad. Few latest episodes now bring me back the greatness of this series again.
Feb 25, 2022 4:24 PM
Mar 2021
BaarbS said:
First half definitely better. Now it's dragging. They have been fighting Ouken for like 4 episodes now
because he's immortal, so it's fair enough.
Feb 25, 2022 4:32 PM

Jan 2009
the story has more impact in the first half because of the awesome and consistent direction and animation thats all
Feb 26, 2022 12:41 AM
Dec 2021
same but i am still watching
Feb 26, 2022 1:07 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I think we were all floored by the first few episodes of To Your Eternity, the first arc that was focused mainly on March. Then it went on, and it was still good, but speaking for myself, nothing hit as hard as it did in the March arc.

The decline in impact is not as significant here in Ousama Ranking, but it's here nonetheless. It's hard to put my finger on why exactly though. Maybe I just really loved how the first few episodes focused on Bojji, and him being the underdog of underdogs. We see how his friendship with Kage blossomed, who also got a very moving, tragic backstory. While the focus was on them, the world around them was also slowly being developed as we are introduced to the other players in this story. They kept the characters interesting while also not revealing too much about themselves and their intentions, maintaining an air of mystery surrounding the entire kingdom. Maybe that was one of the appeals of the show at first: just imaging what could be. The set up was there, the potential, the mystery, and we were excited to see how it would all play out, how our little guy Bojji would somehow rise up with Kage at his back to save the day.

And now... almost everything is already laid out on the table. We didn't even have to wait until the end of this season to know the true thoughts and intentions of all our supporting characters, where their allegiance resides, what are there drives and motivations. Perhaps there is a plot twist or two still coming our way, but for the most part I think the show has shown us its cards. Bojji is now rather OP asf and was able to hold his own for quite awhile against an immortal being. Damn. It's cool to see the little guy we were all rooting for now kicking ass, but personally I feel like we arrived at that point a little too fast. As far as the narrative goes, shit is flying left and right. Characters are fighting other characters and despite its overall slow pacing, it feels like it all escalated rather quickly rather than gradually and smoothly building up to these bigger moments. It's still quite entertaining of course, but nothing feels as impactful as we might have it expected it to be based on the first half which seemed to promise that big things are on the horizon. Big things are here, but it doesn't feel that big.

TL;DR? Best I can word it is that some of the magic which reeled us into this story in the first half seems to have been lost for the sake of getting things rolling a little too quickly. The thoughtful, more methodical narrative that this story seemed to have seems to no longer exist at the moment. From the beginning of this season up until about the point where Domas pushes Bojji into HELL, I was feeling an easy 9/10 if not a full 10/10. Right now, I still like it, it's still good, but honestly it's feeling more like a 7/10.

Heck I haven't even seen any gakutodeathglare threads recently, maybe even he doesn't think it's interesting enough anymore

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 26, 2022 3:19 AM
Jun 2021
I don't no what to say but I tell this much it's pretty good for me
Mavacala3
Feb 26, 2022 7:33 AM

Jun 2020
I think the first half was a great start to the anime and the second half made things more epic. The second half is a huge step-up from the first. I was actually really surprised when after only 3 episodes the score went up over 8.7. But now I think it has done more than enough to earn it. The show is most probably going to end up as a 10/10 for me.
Feb 26, 2022 12:32 PM

Apr 2015
TheLastCrusaders said:

Except for Dorshe who already lost an eye and a leg.
Feb 26, 2022 4:11 PM
Jul 2016
I was consistently gaving this show a 10/10 but the pro-colonization allegories are definitely disturbing. I hope they move past this storyline and onto something less problematic.
Feb 26, 2022 5:49 PM
Mar 2016
It's a mixture of the animation not being as tight as it was in the first half and the pacing being all over the place. Sometimes the plot drags out, sometimes you're thrown into lore dumps. The first half had a steady climb, with plot twists and whatnot.
Feb 26, 2022 10:09 PM
Jan 2021
I think this is one show that’s better Binged watched - which I will be doing one this season ends.
Feb 27, 2022 1:05 PM

Jan 2020
Chaplin87 said:
I think this is one show that’s better Binged watched - which I will be doing one this season ends.

A SMART ONE, love it
Apr 5, 2022 9:25 PM

Oct 2008
I didn't think the first half of the show was all it's cracked up to be. The second half which apparently turned off many, is the one I preferred.

Because of the art style, I also almost skipped the show, but it having been made by WIT I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt. Was it worth the watch, I guess so.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ousama Ranking Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2021

109 by filoshi »»
May 31, 3:10 AM

Poll: » Ousama Ranking Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2022

231 by Lanz »»
May 23, 6:25 AM

Poll: » Ousama Ranking Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2022

224 by Lanz »»
May 23, 6:07 AM

Poll: » Ousama Ranking Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 17, 2022

119 by Lanz »»
May 22, 6:23 AM

Poll: » Ousama Ranking Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2022

110 by Lanz »»
May 20, 11:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.