Forum Settings
Forums

Which protagonists are boring, and why are they boring?

New
Dec 29, 2021 9:05 AM

Dec 2019
A boring protagonist can kill the enjoyment of a show for a lot of people, but the other characters can carry the show. So, I'm curious which protagonists you find boring.
As for me, I would say Emiya from Fate/stay night. I never liked the underdog with a heart of gold who can still fight toe-to-toe with the masters. I don't hate him, but I'm much more interested in characters like Rin, Saber, and Illya.
Dec 29, 2021 9:24 AM
Mar 2019
takemichi from tokyo revengers was little boring protagonist for me.His growth over the series was not enough for me to liking his charactor.
Dec 29, 2021 9:30 AM
Oct 2020
Protagonist like the one from Future Diary is the most boring one. They are literally crybaby and seems pathetic in the entire show
Dec 29, 2021 9:35 AM

Sep 2021
Yukki from Future Dairy like someone else said and Kirito the self insert from Sword Art Online are the most boring protagonists I've seen.
Dec 29, 2021 9:42 AM
Stellaron Hunter

Oct 2020
Majority of harem and shonen protagonists are very boring.
Incessant Rain

“Can you let me have some fun this time?”

Dec 29, 2021 9:52 AM

Apr 2016
Black licorice is the best, especially the kind with salt. I've discovered a liquor in Finland made of salty licorice. One of the best alcoholic beverages ever. X3
(Koskenkorva Salmiakki if anyone's interested)

Most harem/romcom/shounen/isekai protags are boring and bland. They're the main reason I drop a series or put it on-hold indefinitely because they're just so annoying. Oftentimes their boringness is coupled with being massively antisocial, unable to hold a normal conversation with a girl and/or unable to put feelings/misunderstandings into words like a normal human being.
Dec 29, 2021 9:54 AM

Mar 2020
90% of all anime protagonists are boring, there are very few who are written well
Dec 29, 2021 9:59 AM
Feb 2021
fluffycow17 said:
A boring protagonist can kill the enjoyment of a show for a lot of people, but the other characters can carry the show. So, I'm curious which protagonists you find boring.
As for me, I would say Emiya from Fate/stay night. I never liked the underdog with a heart of gold who can still fight toe-to-toe with the masters. I don't hate him, but I'm much more interested in characters like Rin, Saber, and Illya.

I kinda like Emiya although I have only watched UBW. Even though I usually don't like that kind of protagonists but his character takes those ideas to the extreme and this way highlights the emptiness and and sadness of his character type instead of making it look like everything will work out in the end.
Dec 29, 2021 10:35 AM

Jul 2017
Kouichi Sakakibara from Another, might be the most boring main protagonist imo. Ngl, I completely forgot he existed lol
Dec 29, 2021 10:41 AM

Oct 2017
The main character of Platinum End. That show is literally dog shit because of him.

Saurabh13 said:
takemichi from tokyo revengers was little boring protagonist for me.His growth over the series was not enough for me to liking his charactor.

I second this as an Anime only watcher. Guy was a dumb fuck. He knew people were going to die and still couldn't prevent them from dying. All he had to do was call an ambulance in advance or tip off the police a big fight was happening. He also never once considered working out or learning to fight in the Anime, despite being in a gang.

Dec 29, 2021 10:44 AM

Sep 2021
yuki from future diary. pathetic ass wimp who constantly gets saved by yuno and would be completely useless without her

dont get me started on how fucking obnoxious his voice is
hgwnejmp.ädqwsd
Dec 29, 2021 10:51 AM

Nov 2019
Let the elitists do their job here. Honey, where is my popcorn?
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Dec 29, 2021 10:54 AM
Jul 2018
JYX said:
Tenma is boring. First of all, I hate the way Naoki Urasawa has to constantly remind us what a good person he is.
I also hate the fact that Tenma had so many instances where he could've killed Johan but chose not to. He supposedly believes that all lives are equal and that no lives are greater than another but his actions contradict that belief. If that was really his ideology then you'd think that he wouldn't hesitate to kill Johan because that would in turn save more lives, right?

I'm not trying to change your opinion. I'm just giving you a piece of information that you're not taking into consideration when bringing up Dr. Tenma's philosophy.

So, Tenma believes that all lives are created equally & at the end that's the reason why he once again saved Johan's life, despite knowing he is a mass murderer.
The biggest reason why Tenma's philosophy works for him & him alone is because he is a DOCTOR. Seems like many people don't try to comprehend this from Tenma's perspective.

When a shounen protagonist follows no kill philosophy like Edward Elric for example, he does it because he's written as a good person but when Tenma doesn't kill anyone(He shot Roberto in self defence & always regretted it until he found he was alive), he does it not only because he's good but mostly because he is bound by the Hippocratic oath. So, he concluded that his job doesn't allow him to kill even if he actually wanted to kill Johan at all cost.

At the end he saves Johan because that's his job as a doctor. As a doctor, he considers it his moral duty to save every life possible, irrespective of who they are & what they did. He questioned this morality of his in the very beginning & that's the moral dilemma that Tenma goes through throughout the show.

He decided to kill Johan to indirectly save more lives in the beginning but whenever he tried, he was reminded of his philosophy & ofcourse his duty as a doctor. If he firmly believed all lives are created equally, how can he kill another person when his own job is to save human lives?
What Tenma did was right or wrong, Urasawa left it for viewers to interpret. That's all.

Tenma being boring to the public is quite understandable to me. I'm not taking any offence & I hope you don't either.
I can personally just relate to him on many levels.
But for me, all animals will be created equally...
Dec 29, 2021 11:03 AM
Jul 2021
Naruto
Boring as hell
Never liked him although I liked Naruto (og)
Dec 29, 2021 11:10 AM
Jul 2019
Kanokari would've been enjoyable schlock if the mc wasn't so awful. I'd prefer it if it had like a self-insert instead and was good looking so it could function as fuel for my wet dreams.

Dec 29, 2021 12:06 PM

Aug 2018
I don't know if I've ever seen a more useless and boring protagonist than the guy from Re:Creators. He's obviously the "main" character but he has no effect on the story whatsoever. He's just...there.
Dec 29, 2021 12:25 PM
Dec 2019
Imma get ambushed, but the Mc of monster put me to sleep
Dec 29, 2021 12:40 PM

Oct 2012
Lab_Member001_HK said:
JYX said:
Tenma is boring. First of all, I hate the way Naoki Urasawa has to constantly remind us what a good person he is.
I also hate the fact that Tenma had so many instances where he could've killed Johan but chose not to. He supposedly believes that all lives are equal and that no lives are greater than another but his actions contradict that belief. If that was really his ideology then you'd think that he wouldn't hesitate to kill Johan because that would in turn save more lives, right?

I'm not trying to change your opinion. I'm just giving you a piece of information that you're not taking into consideration when bringing up Dr. Tenma's philosophy.

So, Tenma believes that all lives are created equally & at the end that's the reason why he once again saved Johan's life, despite knowing he is a mass murderer.
The biggest reason why Tenma's philosophy works for him & him alone is because he is a DOCTOR. Seems like many people don't try to comprehend this from Tenma's perspective.

When a shounen protagonist follows no kill philosophy like Edward Elric for example, he does it because he's written as a good person but when Tenma doesn't kill anyone(He shot Roberto in self defence & always regretted it until he found he was alive), he does it not only because he's good but mostly because he is bound by the Hippocratic oath. So, he concluded that his job doesn't allow him to kill even if he actually wanted to kill Johan at all cost.

At the end he saves Johan because that's his job as a doctor. As a doctor, he considers it his moral duty to save every life possible, irrespective of who they are & what they did. He questioned this morality of his in the very beginning & that's the moral dilemma that Tenma goes through throughout the show.

He decided to kill Johan to indirectly save more lives in the beginning but whenever he tried, he was reminded of his philosophy & ofcourse his duty as a doctor. If he firmly believed all lives are created equally, how can he kill another person when his own job is to save human lives?
What Tenma did was right or wrong, Urasawa left it for viewers to interpret. That's all.

Tenma being boring to the public is quite understandable to me. I'm not taking any offence & I hope you don't either.
I can personally just relate to him on many levels.
But for me, all animals will be created equally...
I found Tenma's character interesting because he only lived for others, but at the cost of hurting himself. this trait of his felt frustrating as a viewer, he would just never speak his mind. that's why he ended up being Eva's accessory husband, because he fulfilled all of her narcissistic and self-absorbing needs.

Tenma had no social life, he only cared about saving lives as a neurosurgeon. him questioning and fighting what is basically his whole identity made the story more interesting to follow. Tenma is certainly boring, because of his personality. but also the perfect protagonist for the story Monster is trying to tell
Dec 29, 2021 12:54 PM

Jul 2021
tanjiro and deku are the biggest ones. they are perfect with no flaws which makes them uninteresting

Dec 29, 2021 1:16 PM

Mar 2021
Anzai from Devils Line was pretty boring I mean he wasn't the worst protagonist ever but he didn't have any character trait...

Mirai from Platinum End is the worst protagonist ever... He is so boring and he never changed himself. Literally zero character development..

Shintarou from Mekakucity Actors. Again he wasn't a bad mc but I didn't feel like he was the protagonist. He only appeared in first couple episodes and then he came in the last episode.. It was weird.

And of course Tadakuni from Daily Lives of High School Boys. He was actually my favorite character but his only deal was being boring. He even said something like ''I'm the protagonist but I have zero screen time''
This is Nanba Prison. No one has ever escaped successfully from this prison. -Nanbaka

Dec 29, 2021 3:26 PM

Jun 2021
Any protagonists that need no character development. Protagonists who are already "perfect" at the beginning.

Tanjiro is almost like this but he can at least be entertaining and not bland.
Dec 29, 2021 8:57 PM

Feb 2021
I like Emiya in FSN 2006 Deen studio version though. In UBW he seems dumb and too self-righteous, whereas in the Deen version he feels more like a real human

To answer your question, it's Amano Keita from Gamers!.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Dec 29, 2021 10:44 PM

May 2021
Those that just doesn't do anything and have a undeserved long screen time.
They are boring because, compared to the other characters, they really don't do anything: they don't talk, move, react... and, as I said, they have a undeserved long screen time, what makes it worse.

Dec 29, 2021 10:52 PM

Jan 2021
The MC from Fruit of Evolution, I don't even remember his name he is soo forgettable just like the show.
Dec 29, 2021 11:11 PM

Dec 2020
everyone in platinum end praising mirai-kun for his bare minimum.... man is literally going to die and still cares about his enemies' lives.
no more forum pic. that's it.
Dec 29, 2021 11:23 PM

May 2021
fluffycow17 said:

Lol the MC is literally one of the two reasons why I dropped Fate 😅

But boring, huh? Hmm I'm not sure. At least I like most of of the MCs in my completed list, as far as I can remember. Maybe I do have one but since he is boring so I don't remember whoever that is?

𝑇𝐼𝑃𝑆 𝐼𝑁 𝐺𝐼𝑁𝑇𝐴𝑀𝐴
- NOT your usual shounen anime
- Pure comedy? DEAD WRONG
- Treat Gintama as SoL/weekly sitcom especially earlier seasons
- Ep 1 & 2 are for manga readers
- BIG patience for its 'slow' start

Dec 29, 2021 11:31 PM

Aug 2018
Tanjiro and Deku. They are your typical shounen archetypes.
Dec 30, 2021 12:29 AM

Jul 2019
Dec 30, 2021 12:50 AM

Aug 2020
An obvious answer would be "Kirito" but other than him:
Fate protagonists, other than the main ones. I like Shirou and Kiritsugu a lot but the main characters of Apocrypha, Grand Order and Extra are all so bland and they all have absolutely no personality.
Sung Jin-woo is a really boring character imo. He feels like he has no character and personality.

More topics from this board

» Eminence in Shadow Promotional Edit

Hiim00hiii - 2 hours ago

9 by kutuya »»
32 seconds ago

» 🎃 AD Summer 2024 Best Girl Contest ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - 5 hours ago

58 by TitanOfPlasma »»
2 minutes ago

» what's an anime that scarred you when you were younger?

reysune - 9 hours ago

40 by Swyzen »»
4 minutes ago

» What ruins an anime? ( 1 2 )

TheRealClutch - Sep 28

66 by reysune »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » do you even watch anime like how you used to? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Sep 26

53 by Swyzen »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.