Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 15, 2021 11:39 PM
Mar 2018
Recently, I've seen people meming on the dub and from the looks of things it is bad. I wouldn't be surprised if the dub is bad as watching the show subbed I was convinced the dialogue and its delivery wouldn't work well with English (even if the English dub were average it would still not be able to do the Japanese dub justice), but, from the clips I've seen online the dub is bad bad.

Dub watchers please.

Also don't harass the VAs and the staff. Attack(criticize) the work, but, please don't harass the artist.

May 16, 2021 12:55 AM
Oct 2020
Don't know dude, I have just seen one clip, where Ai says to everyone that even if she has any problems, she can just call her other 3 friends and Rika just said "No cap" 😭😭
May 16, 2021 1:06 AM

Jan 2021
tbh ive seen some what parts of the dub but its horrible tbh in the dub you wont get the full on experience of it because of the script, funimation tends to fuck with the scripts of all anime they dub and make it shit and tbh just imagining AI'S dub VA screaming out "NOW IM MAD" is just gonna be cringy and sound horrible so best advise is to just watch sub ok
May 16, 2021 2:11 AM
May 2020
AnimeMemer_ said:
tbh ive seen some what parts of the dub but its horrible tbh in the dub you wont get the full on experience of it because of the script, funimation tends to fuck with the scripts of all anime they dub and make it shit and tbh just imagining AI'S dub VA screaming out "NOW IM MAD" is just gonna be cringy and sound horrible so best advise is to just watch sub ok
dude I swear catch phrases like the "now Im mad" you just mentioned always sound so damn cringey and weird in English lol. It just works better in Japanese somehow.
May 16, 2021 2:29 AM
Jan 2021
MTL_Stardust said:
AnimeMemer_ said:
dude I swear catch phrases like the "now Im mad" you just mentioned always sound so damn cringey and weird in English lol. It just works better in Japanese somehow.
Heve you heard this?: https://youtu.be/3mNpwYOvAVI
May 16, 2021 2:34 AM
May 2020
kosadibe9 said:
MTL_Stardust said:
well I have now... But seriously tho what the fuck was that voice in the beginning he sounded like a fucking dying horse lmfao
May 16, 2021 2:45 AM
Dec 2020
I carnt say much cause I only watched 1 episode of the dub but I really didn't agree with the casting for the voice of ai because in the sub she sounded really cute and lovable yet in the dub she sounded like a 30 year old I don't know if that's what they were going for but personally I didn't enjoy it
May 16, 2021 3:25 AM
Apr 2020
No, it really isn't, it's not like railgun level but it certainly isn't horrible, the voice actors do a really good job (besides imo ura and acca) the problem isn't the voice actors the problem is the translations, for the most part pretty faithful but they change words here and there and it's a bit weird cause why they didn't need to be changed. The dub voices aren't bad hell the dub just isn't bad period it's just of the more "modernized" touches of it sound f|_|cking awful, and sounds like a 59-year-old man spent two minutes in the comment section of some cringy thirst trap and was like "hmm yes this is what the kids talk like".
In conclusion, dub voices and most of the time script good, certain script changes and occasionally bad line read and cringy delivery bad.

Edit: I'm convinced none of you have ever talked to or heard a young girl speak, cause if you think any of these girls voices sound too old, you probably have never met a young person
a0t3aMay 16, 2021 3:30 AM
May 16, 2021 3:30 AM
Mar 2018
sleepyashkurou said:
I carnt say much cause I only watched 1 episode of the dub but I really didn't agree with the casting for the voice of ai because in the sub she sounded really cute and lovable yet in the dub she sounded like a 30 year old I don't know if that's what they were going for but personally I didn't enjoy it

Well the english VA is 30+ while the jap VA is 16
RokujuKyu69May 16, 2021 3:37 AM
May 16, 2021 4:45 AM

Aug 2019
saw a clip of Rika saying “no cap” and was reminded why I stay away from English dub in anime
May 16, 2021 5:05 AM
Apr 2017
well.. it's not a popular show, likes Boruto or MHA so this level of dub is acceptable, i mean dub exist only for people who can't watch sub ver. for some reason so they can enjoy watching anime too.

so the quality isn't a concern as long it's still enjoyable for dub viewer in general.
May 16, 2021 5:20 AM
Jan 2021
I dont know, I only watched it when the sub was airing
May 16, 2021 7:48 AM

Jan 2020
I normally prefer English dubs, but as a resident Old Person™️ who just had to google what “no cap” means after reading this thread, I think I might have to go with the subs for this one.
May 16, 2021 8:22 AM
Feb 2020
Lmao people on these message boards are always so sad, the dub is incredible but sub elitists always love to trash it so they can feel superior, like how about you just admit you don’t shower and don’t have friends you loser ass sub watchers 😭😭😭
May 16, 2021 8:39 AM
Mar 2018
Seamdaddy said:
Lmao people on these message boards are always so sad, the dub is incredible but sub elitists always love to trash it so they can feel superior, like how about you just admit you don’t shower and don’t have friends you loser ass sub watchers 😭😭😭

Please tell me the dub is at least mediocre. The Jap voice acting for this show is legit one of the best voice acting I've ever heard. I'm not into the dub vs sub argument as I think most voices(modern anime only) are pretty comparable, but, the WEP Japanese voice acting is just great( like Wave! Listen to Me! or Zombieland Saga the dub adds).
May 16, 2021 9:26 AM
Mar 2021
Sometimes Rika says a cringey freshmen quote but other than that nah the dub is fun
May 16, 2021 9:26 AM
Dec 2019
I don't think it's bad per se, but Ai's English VA sounds older and less cute than in the original Japanese. That kinda bothers me.
May 16, 2021 9:43 AM
Apr 2019
Due to the nature of the show, its Japanese setting will only "feel" authentic if watched subbed. The translation and adaptation of the script take away most of the homey feeling WEP is characterized for.
May 16, 2021 9:52 AM

Jan 2020
I've seen that "no cap" clip and it is a bit cringe but I haven't seen anything else so I think people are kinda overhating it based on one clip

May 16, 2021 1:26 PM
Jul 2020
With any dub, watch it and determine it for yourself. Dub vs sub has been argued since the 80’s and 90’s. I prefer subs, but will usually try a dub to see if it matches my expectations. Sometimes it’s close with one or two voices being off.

I found the WEP dub to be jarring and bad. But if someone else liked it that’s fine.
May 16, 2021 2:01 PM
Feb 2020
RokujuKyu69 said:
Seamdaddy said:

Please tell me the dub is at least mediocre. The Jap voice acting for this show is legit one of the best voice acting I've ever heard. I'm not into the dub vs sub argument as I think most voices(modern anime only) are pretty comparable, but, the WEP Japanese voice acting is just great( like Wave! Listen to Me! or Zombieland Saga the dub adds).
It is good, I can respect an argument that the sub is better but people are literally just pissed off that Rika said "no cap"
May 16, 2021 2:34 PM
Feb 2020
I haven’t watched full episodes in the dub, but from what I heard their voices don’t match at all. I’m sure the quality of the voice acting probably isn’t that bad, but these are school students that sound like they’re in their late 20s.
May 16, 2021 4:14 PM
Jul 2020
Seamdaddy said:

I watch sub and dub I normally love both but the script writing for this dub as a middle schooler feels like they’ve never talked to an 8th grader before.
May 16, 2021 4:14 PM
Jul 2020
Seamdaddy said:

I watch sub and dub I normally love both but the script writing for this dub as a middle schooler feels like they’ve never talked to an 8th grader before.
May 18, 2021 5:14 PM
Apr 2021
I’ve only seen a small portion but in short, yes.
May 19, 2021 12:32 AM
Sep 2016
a0t3a said:
No, it really isn't, it's not like railgun level but it certainly isn't horrible, the voice actors do a really good job (besides imo ura and acca) the problem isn't the voice actors the problem is the translations, for the most part pretty faithful but they change words here and there and it's a bit weird cause why they didn't need to be changed. The dub voices aren't bad hell the dub just isn't bad period it's just of the more "modernized" touches of it sound f|_|cking awful, and sounds like a 59-year-old man spent two minutes in the comment section of some cringy thirst trap and was like "hmm yes this is what the kids talk like".
In conclusion, dub voices and most of the time script good, certain script changes and occasionally bad line read and cringy delivery bad.

Edit: I'm convinced none of you have ever talked to or heard a young girl speak, cause if you think any of these girls voices sound too old, you probably have never met a young person

For real dude, her voice sounds perfect for her age and is wayyy less annoying than the typical 5 year old sounding voice
May 22, 2021 3:33 AM
Nov 2020
Well, as i didn't watch the dub, i can't judge, but just imagine the catchphrases like "NOW IM REALLY MAD!" In English, it'd sound like 5 yo kid getting clapped in fortnut. Dubbed anime from my opinion is bad, but this one would be like really bad bad, dunno, if you're curious you can give it a try, but no guarantee you wouldn't want to pour holy water into your ears after you finish.
May 22, 2021 3:43 AM

Jun 2012
Funimation hasn't had a decent dub in about 2 decades. The entire cast sounds way too old.
May 22, 2021 5:54 AM
May 2021
MTL_Stardust said:
AnimeMemer_ said:

You have to consider how cheesy those lines are to begin with. It's not that the dub makes it bad, it's just that, as a weeb, hearing "dattabayo" at the end of every sentence doesn't sound as annoying as someone stage-shrieking "BELIEVE IT!" over and over again like a dork.
May 22, 2021 7:27 AM
May 2020
StephenKing586 said:
MTL_Stardust said:

You have to consider how cheesy those lines are to begin with. It's not that the dub makes it bad, it's just that, as a weeb, hearing "dattabayo" at the end of every sentence doesn't sound as annoying as someone stage-shrieking "BELIEVE IT!" over and over again like a dork.
exactly, hearing dattebayo is no where near annoying as "BELIEVE IT".it just sounds better in sub idk why maybe Im too used to hearing japanese lol
May 22, 2021 8:19 AM
May 2021
MTL_Stardust said:
StephenKing586 said:

exactly, hearing dattebayo is no where near annoying as "BELIEVE IT".it just sounds better in sub idk why maybe Im too used to hearing japanese lol

That's my take on it. If I was a fluent Japanese speaker, maybe I'd find it annoying, too.
May 25, 2021 9:43 PM

May 2016
kosadibe9 said:
MTL_Stardust said:
He sounded pretty good ngl
May 26, 2021 6:19 AM

Jan 2020
MTL_Stardust said:
StephenKing586 said:

Yeah, as they say, “ignorance is bliss.” Sometimes the language barrier is sort of a blessing in disguise, safeguarding foreign viewers from the cringe-factor, lol. I’ve always believed a lot of the hate English dubs get is due to this phenomenon—it’s not usually that the dubs are so grossly inferior, really; rather, you just don’t notice how cheesy the original Japanese script and acting were in the first place.
Jun 10, 2021 11:46 PM
Oct 2018
This is an anime where most of the cast are 14-year-old girls. In most cases, female English voices sound like 30-year-old party girls. Western women have significantly lower voices and less feminine voices than Asian or, for example, Russian women. And when they do have decent voices they just sound obnoxious. Usually, the English dub is good when it comes to male voices, but not female ones. It's even worse when it comes to younger characters.
Jun 13, 2021 9:59 PM
Oct 2019
I only watched the first two episodes in dub but I don't recall thinking it was bad. If nothing stands out then it must've been ok, at least in those 2 episodes
Jun 14, 2021 6:20 AM
Jun 2021
The dubbing is about standard for anime dubs, although Im not caught up so maybe its rougher later. I watched the first two episodes in both sub and dub and I didnt notice anything too outlandishly stupid that made me think the dub was bad. If you hate dubs youll hate the Wonder Egg Dub, if you like dubs, you’ll like the Wonder Egg dub. Its not gonna change your worldview about them.
Jun 14, 2021 4:48 PM

Oct 2013
ITT: people getting angry that English translations are being localized instead of merely translated.

A 2021 anime with characters that are literally zoomers is using slang one would hear amongst literal zoomers today. Who would've thought.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jun 15, 2021 6:50 AM

Jan 2017
Rika's voice sounds too old to me, which is a little out of place and offputting. Like Zach Efron as the kid in the Lorax old/offputting. That and I can pick up some very minor feedback when some of the characters talk, almost as if you can tell that some of the recording was done remotely.
Jun 24, 2021 7:15 PM
Mar 2018
Glordit said:
Funimation hasn't had a decent dub in about 2 decades. The entire cast sounds way too old.

In two decades? Okay, you can stop exaggerating now.
Jun 26, 2021 1:23 AM
Jul 2018
If isn't that bad imo but sub is better for this one. Then again people watching dub will be able to enjoy the gorgeous animation more.
Jun 28, 2021 8:12 AM

Mar 2012
It's alright, anime fans are just weird about dubs sometimes

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 9, 2021

160 by RobinEatsJuice »»
Yesterday, 6:51 PM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Feb 2, 2021

294 by RobinEatsJuice »»
Yesterday, 6:22 PM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Jan 26, 2021

239 by RobinEatsJuice »»
Yesterday, 6:21 PM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Jan 19, 2021

212 by RobinEatsJuice »»
Yesterday, 12:44 AM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aikotoba - Jan 12, 2021

433 by RobinEatsJuice »»
Yesterday, 12:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.