Forum Settings
Forums

Do you hate anime character that are stupidly overpowered?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 21, 2017 11:50 PM

Jul 2014
No I don't hate them but they can lower the ceiling/enjoyment of a show because of the repetitiveness of that OP character(s) dominating every situation or fight.

Like I enjoyed Arslan but after awhile it got tiresome with both the strategist out smarting everyone and the warrior guy slaughter hundreds of enemies. It lead to me not really digging the second season that much.

If a show does have a OP character its better to either be the antagonist or maybe the boss of the good guys or whoever that rarely fight in the first place. Having a OP main character isn't really the way to go if you want to create any sort of suspense.
Jan 22, 2017 2:02 AM

May 2015
'Overpowered' is a stupid term.

Does it make sense, storywise that the character solves the problem? How is their strength expressed in their personality? Are the conflicts monotonous?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 22, 2017 2:35 AM

Feb 2016
if overpower meant for comedy purpose, then it's fine.
if overpower meant for serious thing and related to story progress, then it's bad
Jan 22, 2017 3:01 AM

Oct 2011
if it's overpowered like in overlord then i got no problem

"When the time is yours,
the future is waiting,
The person you become,
and the people you're creating.
"
Jan 22, 2017 3:09 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
No, but that really depends on how cool their power are and their personality.

If their power for example capable of destroying Earth with single flick without any visual effects and no reason then yeah I dislike them.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 22, 2017 3:11 AM

Feb 2016
If the character was poorly written yes but if they are like kirito i hope they die asap

Jan 22, 2017 3:12 AM
Jan 2016
Nope, I love overpowered MCs. Onii-sama, Kirito, Sora, Tagami Yusuke and so on. I'm honestly bored of MCs that start weak and have to get better through endless power ups and ass pulls. Especially when it's the "Dumb Hero" archetype. To me it's far more interesting when a character enters the stage with already developed abilities that we simply get to know as he uses them, instead of him struggling along the way. This way the MC doesn't seem to advance at too fast a pace, something that is way too common. It breaks the immersion for me when you have seasoned warriors, sometimes hundreds of years old bested by a runt that started training a couple months ago.
Jan 22, 2017 5:46 AM

Jun 2015
when its the ace or the overpowered bystander I love them.

i hate it when the mc asspulls some op ability hax'd plot armor or if they are just parody
Jan 22, 2017 12:15 PM

Feb 2008
Usually, yes, both in case of villains and protagonists. With villains, it's the usual trap of hyping them and the characters getting strong enough to defeat them. The question is, what then? Unless the story ends, stronger villains need to be introduced, and the characters would need to get stronger again. It's a never ending loop, hence things like Dragon Ball (referring to Z mostly) or pretty much any shounen that tried quantifying or measuring power levels in some way.

For the protagonists, the struggle to attain power and overcoming adversity makes them grow. Admittedly, some characters fail to grow with their power (because who gives a shit about character development if they are memes), but if they already attained some sort of apex of the power level ladder before the show even started, I can only see them stagnating, or not having a fleshed out character at all. Pretty much why power fantasy shows suck. The characters never appear to grow, and if we never really have the suspense that they will overcome the obstacle before them, what's the point.

It's like watching a grown up beat up someone that's as strong as an elementary school kid, where the inferior opponent only manages to gain some superficial leverage with lowly things, like blackmail or a magical way to temporarily lower/nullify the main character's powers, just so that our hero can beat him up in an impressive way.

Jan 23, 2017 12:37 AM

May 2015
People here take the physical strength of non-physical beings quite seriously.
Jan 23, 2017 12:41 AM
Jul 2018
I don't mind overpowered MCs as long as those characters are at least likable/enjoyable. If not then it would really take my enjoyment for the show away imo.
Jan 23, 2017 1:24 AM

Dec 2012
No, quite the opposite in fact, I love badass overpowered characters that are competent and can kick ass and chew bubblegum.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Jan 23, 2017 2:32 AM

Aug 2016
No, I hate stupidly weak characters more. I preffer characters that are strong, just not too, too strong, and they must be likable, that's the most important thing.
Heya, I'm Mystic, the NSFW voice actress & anime girl streamer!
https://twitter.com/MagicalMysticVA
https://discord.gg/uy6vSyH
Jan 23, 2017 3:33 AM

Oct 2015
I like overpowered characters if they make sense.

Alucard(Hellsing) and Gilgamesh(Fate) power aren't came from no where. In other word, they suppose to be this strong from what have been declared in the stories.

But in other hand, Kirito(SAO)'s power and skils are ridiculous. According that he is just a 14 years old kid and playing solo for almost whole series(which online games usually give more progress if you play as a team).

Long story short, the reasons of the overpowering have to be explained otherwise they will looked really dumb.

P.S. Gurren Lagann doesn't count.
Jan 23, 2017 4:20 AM

Sep 2016
When the characters are overpowered then it is all the more interesting to me unless they are drab or have no personality. Doesn't matter if they are asshole or good
Jan 23, 2017 4:31 AM

Nov 2009
I like powerful characters if their personality is appealing.
Kirito, Tatsuya, Alucard, Haruhi - they're all good enough.
Gilgamesh is an annoying twat who is outdated by millenia. Fortunately he gets killed quickly enough in the 5th war. How can people survive watching Fate/Zero which has him from the beginning to the end is beyond me.
"Overlord" Momonga is pathetic, but might have worked if his tragedy developed faster then I ran out of patience, and anime ran out of episodes.
Saitama is a joke, and I don't even find it funny.

YellowCorvette said:
I think the biggest problem many people have with OP characters like Kirito and Tatsuya is:

1. Their OPness is the only traits that's worth mentioning about them.
2. Their personality is just very boring, bland or too cringeworthy.
3. The OPness didn't serve any purposes other than to make the character looks awesome.
4. Their OPness doesn't makes sense even in the series's universe and logic.

While these two's personalities are flawed, I would not call them "boring" or "bland".
"cringeworthy" is only for shy people who can't be as over-the-top as a good over-the-top character.

Balong said:
I like very much Ainz Ooal Gown from Overlord.
-He's the f***ing Overlord! A valable reason to be so powerfull and he's a cunning one, and despite he's an undead, he's loyal to his minions and not a horrible bieng

On the bad side, he is too small of a person for his power, and gets swept away by the current.

Paul said:
Gilgamesh... character development? What? He's got as much development as Rin's chest. Unless this is some VN thing that I couldn't care less about.

No, there is no extra character development for Gilgamesh in visual novels. He is exactly the same as in the anime - annoying twat who should have been killed long ago.

corwin_r said:
Usually, yes, both in case of villains and protagonists. With villains, it's the usual trap of hyping them and the characters getting strong enough to defeat them. The question is, what then? Unless the story ends, stronger villains need to be introduced, and the characters would need to get stronger again. It's a never ending loop, hence things like Dragon Ball (referring to Z mostly) or pretty much any shounen that tried quantifying or measuring power levels in some way.

That's why good shows have the good sense to end before they become bad.

corwin_r said:
For the protagonists, the struggle to attain power and overcoming adversity makes them grow. Admittedly, some characters fail to grow with their power (because who gives a shit about character development if they are memes), but if they already attained some sort of apex of the power level ladder before the show even started, I can only see them stagnating, or not having a fleshed out character at all. Pretty much why power fantasy shows suck. The characters never appear to grow, and if we never really have the suspense that they will overcome the obstacle before them, what's the point.

Character growth is not really linked to becoming more powerful. And yes, too many anime characters manage to be very powerful without having a personality to match - this can be pretty annoying.
Jan 23, 2017 4:54 AM

Apr 2015
If I like the character enough to root for them then no
Jan 23, 2017 4:59 AM
Apr 2016
If played for a joke like Saitama from OPM then yeah. If its like Erza or Kirito then no

Jan 23, 2017 5:03 AM
Mar 2016
Depends. I love Saitama,but I hate...blerghh...Kirito.
Jan 23, 2017 5:18 AM
Jul 2018
Nah, I actually like them. And when two OP characters face each other, it makes for awesome fight scenes.
Jan 23, 2017 7:20 AM

Feb 2008
flannan said:

corwin_r said:

Character growth is not really linked to becoming more powerful. And yes, too many anime characters manage to be very powerful without having a personality to match - this can be pretty annoying.

I guess I worded that poorly, but yes, character growth is not inherently correlated with them attaining new powers because not every author is apt enough to manage this. The context of what I wrote is that the idea behind a struggle for power should be growing as a character as well.

Some stories tend to neglect this aspect of gaining a new power, skill etc., and that basically the character's worldview/perspective changes, and with that their overall identity as well . Kind of like attaining a new skill in real life, or polishing existing ones, the person managing to do so will change the perspective on how they and others view them. Adapting to that change of perspective is basically character development.

Jan 24, 2017 12:07 AM

Aug 2016
I actually like overpowered characters if it is for comedy ONLY...

But I ABSOLUTELY hate them if they are snobby characters like Kira or Relouch.
Jan 24, 2017 12:10 AM

Nov 2016
only if that said anime character is a dense idiot
Jan 24, 2017 7:41 AM

May 2015
xre said:
I actually like overpowered characters if it is for comedy ONLY...

But I ABSOLUTELY hate them if they are snobby characters like Kira or Relouch.

Kira and Lelouch are meant to be so powerful, since that power affects their character and leads to their downward spiral.
Jan 24, 2017 7:46 AM

Oct 2014
hell no most of those are the most entertaining part of their respective shows like alucard
but when a character is overpowered just so we can have an empowerment fantasy regarding this character where the main is a blank self insert without personality that has god like powers a la kirito or tatsuya then i am bothered
Jan 28, 2017 3:53 AM

Feb 2016
No I don't hate them.Why should I hate a character just because he is operpowered?I only would hate the character if the personality is really bad.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Jan 28, 2017 4:07 AM
May 2016
I both have fun and get bored watching it, depend who is it
Example for a fun character: Accelerator, Tokuchi Toua, Sora, and Saitama
Example for a boring character : Shiba Tatsuya and Izayoi Sakamaki
SolacistJan 28, 2017 4:12 AM
Jan 28, 2017 4:40 AM

Nov 2015
i hate characters that suddenly become powerful with just the reason that the last episode is near to come ;characters that become stronger with just screaming and over feeling like that main character from guilty crown how did he beat Jin ?!!! i still searching for it till now .....
However op characters like Madara can't be hated such :
-Meriem (Hunter x Hunter )
-White beard (One piece )
-Saitama (One punch)
-Zeref (Fairy tail)
-Kaguya (Naruto)
-Alucard (Hellsing)
-Sato-san (Ajin)

Jan 28, 2017 2:04 PM

Mar 2009
Quite on the contrary, the ones I dislike are the weaklings and the underdogs.
Weak people ought to lose against the strong, and when an anime tells me otherwise, it annoys me.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Jan 28, 2017 2:22 PM
Jan 2017
It can be nice to see a character blow through a challenge sometimes, but it's mostly boring. I'd rather see a character of average power, who tries their best and struggles, managing to achieve something huge by giving it their all. It's more entertaining, and it means something.
Jan 28, 2017 3:57 PM

Mar 2008
Indifferent. I normally avoid these kind of anime bcuz the mc usually is generic, but when it has comedy or a different vibe I easily watch it.
Jan 28, 2017 7:07 PM
Oct 2016
I do, but if i can sit back and relax knowing that he/she never will lose a battle, or nothing bad will ever happen if he/she is in the fight, then it is a serious problem for the anime.
Jan 28, 2017 7:10 PM

Feb 2015
I dunno about you OP, but I'd probably hate a character that is stupid than a character who's stupidly OP...
Jan 29, 2017 1:21 AM

Jan 2016
I wouldn't say I hate them as long as them being overpowered doesn't mean they are overpowered in everything. A character in my opinion to be good has to have at least one good flaw.
Jan 29, 2017 2:55 AM

May 2015
corwin_r said:
flannan said:

I guess I worded that poorly, but yes, character growth is not inherently correlated with them attaining new powers because not every author is apt enough to manage this. The context of what I wrote is that the idea behind a struggle for power should be growing as a character as well.

Some stories tend to neglect this aspect of gaining a new power, skill etc., and that basically the character's worldview/perspective changes, and with that their overall identity as well . Kind of like attaining a new skill in real life, or polishing existing ones, the person managing to do so will change the perspective on how they and others view them. Adapting to that change of perspective is basically character development.

The worldview/perspective is what makes a character unique, though. My Level20 Necromancer is the same as another's Level20 Nectromancer. What's interesting is their behavior, their decisions. This is where the true difference lies. A fist is always a fist.
Mar 7, 2017 11:14 PM

Nov 2014
Only if they're the MC.. On the contrary, i actually like a "stupidly overpowered" main antagonist since it makes the story become much more interesting..
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Mar 7, 2017 11:23 PM

Jun 2008
Paul said:
Gilgamesh... character development? What? He's got as much development as Rin's chest.

Why you gotta go there man?

I dislike Gilgamesh too though....I never understood why he's so popular.
Mar 7, 2017 11:25 PM

Oct 2015
If, I think it would make me hate the anime instead.
[left] (◕‿◕✿)
Mar 7, 2017 11:38 PM

Jan 2017
If the story surrounding the "op character" is good, then I don't mind. But then agian... I'm not going to bother watching an anime if I'm not into the story so...

im weeb trash

Mar 8, 2017 12:08 AM

Sep 2015
I like really OP characters that are so OP that they put every other OP characters to shame; like Onii-sama.
Mar 8, 2017 12:52 AM

May 2015
I don't care about a character's strength. It doesn't exist anyway. What I care about is what the strength means. People who are obsessed over 'overpower' need to play quality RPG's.
Mar 8, 2017 12:55 AM

Sep 2015
Yes since most of the time they're in anime with game settings, which I hate. Apparently to some people it's just fine if it isn't a 14 year boy
Mar 22, 2021 4:18 PM
Jan 2021
People trying to justify their hate for Kirito based on his age, have definitely never played network games... There are 12 years old beating 20/30 somethings... I bet they hate those kids too...
Mar 23, 2021 9:25 PM
Mar 2021
Nope, it would be the opposite for me. Especially when the main character is the villain and can’t be beat, but I don’t think you find that type of troupe in Anime as much as you do in Manga. A lot of the villainess manhwa have OP villains and have wonderful plot lines.
Mar 23, 2021 11:29 PM

Aug 2012
Depends if there´s a good explanation for sheer power. For example, it makes sense for deities to be full of power. So are characters that trained fair and square to gain their force.
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Mar 24, 2021 12:46 AM
May 2019
I don't mind overpowered characters but it depends if the character is villian or supporting character than I'm fine with them being overpowered but if it's the mc than it gets really boring after a while.
Mar 24, 2021 12:47 AM

Aug 2018
not really, depends on the anime and characters
Mar 24, 2021 1:04 AM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
Depends on the genre. I LOVE stupidly overpowered characters in comedies. They look.. well, stupid. And that's what makes it funny.

If they're in the story as a serious character.. no thanks.

CURRENT: semi-hiatus (busy)

Mar 24, 2021 1:08 AM
Jul 2018
It depends. If they are disgustingly cliched, apathetic and have some fucking harem I will hate em.

If they show emotion and are nice and funny, I will like em.
Mar 24, 2021 1:26 AM

Feb 2019
Mmm. Nah, i really like overpowered characters, except the solo leveling mc
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» What's an anime people consider messed up that has no effect on you

isseixkoneko - May 26

34 by KietaTeenRomance »»
20 seconds ago

» Is romance/slice of life the greatest anime genre?

Semester1 - 5 hours ago

19 by pk8list »»
7 minutes ago

» "The anime is better than the manga" you ever heard that one before?

Yuusey - 4 hours ago

32 by alexw1020 »»
20 minutes ago

» Underrated movies

JoeChip - 5 hours ago

33 by kizumi91 »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you love your favorite character?

Shizuna - Yesterday

14 by Maou_heika »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.