Forum Settings
Forums

What Mental Disorders Do Anime Archetypes Have?

New
Jan 18, 2018 11:07 PM
Jul 2018
Example:

Tsunderes

If tsunderes existed in real life the way they do in anime, they would be diagnosed with autism, because they show nearly every sign of it. They:

-Have difficulty expressing their feelings (one of the biggest signs).
-Overreact, particularily when they don't know how to properly express how they feel.
-Are violent (out of frustration, something many autists share).
Jan 18, 2018 11:21 PM

Oct 2013
I can't really say any Dere has a mental disorder considering characters of each archetype will have different various levels of their Dere and background explaining their Dere
Jan 18, 2018 11:25 PM
Jul 2018
Deknijff said:
I can't really say any Dere has a mental disorder considering characters of each archetype will have different various levels of their Dere and background explaining their Dere

Really? Because I find no proper background information explaining why 99.9% of all the tsunderes I've seen show more severe signs of autism, than actual autistic people, I have met in person, or have researched about.
Jan 18, 2018 11:32 PM

Oct 2013
NihilisticLoner said:
Deknijff said:
Really? Because I find no proper background information explaining why 99.9% of all the tsunders I've seen show more severe signs of autism, than actual autistic people, I have met in person, or have researched about.
All 5 tsunderes in my fav section have a background story explaining their tsun behaviour so perhaps you should look harder Loner
Jan 18, 2018 11:37 PM
Aug 2016
I don't know about autism, but most Tsunderes are retarded as shit.. Yanderes in the other hand are outright sociopaths, and there are plenty of them irl.
Jan 18, 2018 11:59 PM

Nov 2013
You should educate yourself on the topic of Autism, before making statements like this. Seriously.
TheBigGuyJan 19, 2018 12:19 AM
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 19, 2018 12:06 AM

Nov 2017
I disagree with you on autism. Tsunderes are just, if you compare them to real people, normal. If we're talking about Yandere, then they're sociopaths irl.

and there's Chuunibyou it's not a mental disorder and not a common archetype but they exist irl (I'm talking about kids without proper guidance from their parents).
Jan 19, 2018 12:29 AM
Jul 2018
ClickBaitBuster said:
I don't know about autism, but most Tsunderes are retarded as shit.. Yanderes in the other hand are outright sociopaths, and there are plenty of them irl.

Research autism. And trust me. You'll find a LOT of parallels.

1) Sociopaths and psychopaths are the same thing:
"psychopaths and sociopaths are the exact same thing. There is no difference. Whatsoever. Psychopathy is the term used in modern clinical literature, while sociopathy is a term that was coined by G. E. Partridge in 1930 to emphasize the disorder’s social transgressions and that has since fallen out of use"
https://www.themarysue.com/sherlock-holmes-sociopath/

2) A sociopath/psychopath is a mental disorder that prevents you from having any empathy, or consciousness; they can't feel for other people (https://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/psychopathy). Yanderes like Akane (Love Tyrant) do have a consciousness. If they didn't, they would automatically kill anyone who seemed to pose a thread to their romantic relationship. These yanderes often hesitate, and do cry for their romantic partner. A psychopath cannot cry for other people.

@LalatinaDarkness

Would you please explain to me how tsunderes are just like, "normal people"? Because I don't see normal people constantly overreacting, screaming, resorting to violence, or blushing as furiously around their romantic interests.

@TheBigGuy

I have. I've been working on a story with an autistic protagonist, so I've looked up multiple sources on autism.
removed-userJan 19, 2018 12:34 AM
Jan 19, 2018 12:53 AM

Nov 2017
NihilisticLoner said:

@LalatinaDarkness

Would you please explain to me how tsunderes are just like, "normal people"? Because I don't see normal people constantly overreacting, screaming, resorting to violence, or blushing as furiously around their romantic interests.

That's the different thing about an anime. The expressions, actions, tone of voice etc are always exaggerated. You can't expect a tsundere who abuses their love interests for a purpose of slapstick humour to work irl.
But I can tell you I had a middle school classmate who acted like that. Whenever her crush was around she's the most hysterical person, like punching me in the back, slapping me with her notebooks, and diff kinds of hysteric reactions like there's no tomorrow I or her friends received. That's already a violent action. She couldn't even confess to him and was always denying her feelings. And some of my classmates in high school too, but they're less violent.

I'd say she's either an attention-seeker or stupid. But probably they're not autistic since their IQ is average and above, they're sociable. I've known some of them as achievers too.

Jan 19, 2018 12:55 AM

Nov 2013
Then you apparently used the wrong sources.

Point 2 may apply to some Autists, but not all of them. There are many different manifestations of Autism. It's not a clear sign of Autism.

Point 3 is just plain wrong. Among Autists, you will not find more violent persons as in any other group of people. In fact, they tend to be less violent than a "normal" person, since violence is paralleled by strong emotions.
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 19, 2018 1:25 AM
Jul 2018
LalatinaDarkness said:
That's the different thing about an anime. The expressions, actions, tone of voice etc are always exaggerated.

That's literally why I titled the discussion, "What mental disorders to archetypes have?" As in, how can you apply mental disorders, through realistic standards?

LalatinaDarkness said:
But I can tell you I had a middle school classmate who acted like that. Whenever her crush was around she's the most hysterical person, like punching me in the back, slapping me with her notebooks, and diff kinds of hysteric reactions like there's no tomorrow I or her friends received. That's already a violent action. She couldn't even confess to him and was always denying her feelings.

If that is seriously true, then your classmate was incredibly disturbed. Because none of that behavior, is remotely normal.

LalatinaDarkness said:
But probably they're not autistic since their IQ is average and above

Autism is a complicated disorder that can't be that simplified. There is a spectrum, including on the intelligence scale.
https://spectrumnews.org/news/autism-features-may-vary-with-intelligence/

LalatinaDarkness said:
they're sociable.

Being autistic doesn't mean you're unsociable, it means you have difficulties socializing. That's like saying a person with ADD is incapable of paying attention.
Fuck, my best friend is autistic, and he's way more sociable than I ever will be, and I'm not even remotely autistic!

TheBigGuy said:
"Point 2 may apply to some Autists, but not all of them. There are many different manifestations of Autism. It's not a clear sign of Autism.

Think realistically, for a minute.
What part of screaming over minor things like being complimented, odd sentences like, "I-it's not like I like you or anything!", physcially assaulting people for those minor reasons (like being complimented), is NOT at least a sign of a mental disorder, or a history of being abused?

TheBigGuy said:
Point 3 is just plain wrong. Among Autists, you will not find more violent persons as in any other group of people. In fact, they tend to be less violent than a "normal" person, since violence is paralleled by strong emotions.

"the core features of autism are areas in which difficulties can lead to feelings of frustration, confusion, anxiety or lack of control, resulting in behavioral responses."
https://www.autismspeaks.org/sites/default/files/section_1.pdf

"One study, published 1 September in Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, found that one in four children with autism shows aggressive behavior, such as hitting others, destroying property or throwing temper tantrums. In this study, aggression was more common among children with mild autism symptoms and low intelligence quotients. Children with significant aggressive behavior also tended to have mood and anxiety symptoms, and difficulty sleeping and paying attention."
https://spectrumnews.org/opinion/guest-blog-understanding-aggression-in-autism/
Jan 19, 2018 1:32 AM

Nov 2013
"What part of screaming over minor things like being complimented, odd sentences like, "I-it's not like I like you or anything!", physcially assaulting people for those minor reasons (like being complimented), is NOT at least a sign of a mental disorder, or a history of being abused?"

Are you talking about Autists or Tsunderes now? Since Autists don't do such things.

"one in four children" "with low intelligence quotients"

Like I said, there are violent persons among Autists, as it is the case with any other group of people, but violent behaviour itself isn't a sign of Autism. Also, Autists with average or above average intelligence are not more prone to violence than any other person.
TheBigGuyJan 19, 2018 1:42 AM
Jan 19, 2018 2:43 AM
Jul 2018
@TheBigGuy

You're not backing up anything you have said with any sources. Nor have you provided any other explanation that could be applied to reality about tsunderes' behaviors.

You haven't replied to the point I made where the article mentions about behavioral responses; all you said was, "autists don't do that". Back it up?

I will not discuss with you, if you are not willing to engage with everything I say, by purposely ignoring key points I make.
Jan 19, 2018 2:46 AM

Apr 2017
NihilisticLoner said:

-Are violent (out of frustration, something many autists share).

Sorry dude but violence isn't always autism
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/abcs-child-psychiatry/201705/the-link-between-autism-and-violence-isn-t-autism

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Jan 19, 2018 3:03 AM

Nov 2013
God, you seriously are dense. I wasn't talking about tsunderes in the first place, but about your misconceptions about Autism. If tsunderes were real persons, they could have or couldn't have mental disorders. I don't know and I don't care.

When I said, "Autists don't do that", I was referring to the typical tsundere behaviour, that you mentioned. When someone says "I like you", they don't react with "It's not like I like you or anything!" or are assaulting that person. That much is common sense.

And I engaged, what you said. You're creating a correlation, where no such thing exists. If you pick a random group of people and one person of said group is violent, would you come to the conclusion, that it is a feature of all members of said group? Probably not.

I'll say it again, if an autistic person is prone to violence, there are other factors involved, that are not associated with Autism. For example low intelligence, like you said yourself.

"the core features of autism are areas in which difficulties can lead to feelings of frustration, confusion, anxiety or lack of control, resulting in behavioral responses"

The important word is can, it doesn't necessarily have to. All that I said was, that violence alone is not a sign of Autism.

Either way, I'm out of here.
TheBigGuyJan 19, 2018 3:16 AM
Jan 19, 2018 3:16 AM
Jul 2018
TheBigGuy said:
God, you seriously are dense. I wasn't talking about tsunderes in the first place, but about your misconceptions about Autism.

Everything I've said about autism on this thread is barely a fraction that covers what autism actually is.

TheBigGuy said:
If tsunderes were real persons, they could have or couldn't have mental disorders. I don't know and I don't care.

If you don't care, then why are you on this thread?

TheBigGuy said:
When I said, "Autists don't do that", I was referring to the typical tsundere behaviour, that you mentioned. When someone says "I like you", they don't re

Well, if someone behaves like that, it could be attributed to another disorder or something else. But autism could be considered a possibility, for that sort of behavior.
Jan 19, 2018 4:00 AM

Oct 2012
Damn mal armchair psychologists debate about autism, this is sure to be an enlightening discussion.
Jan 19, 2018 8:02 AM
Dec 2016
@NihilisticLoner

Psychopathy and sociopathy are not the same thing but they have very similar characteristics. They are not diagnosable disorders but they are under Antisocial Personality Disorder. They are both essentially colloquial terms and most clinical psychologists don't use them as a credible diagnosis. They are usually used in the legal system like "insanity". If anything ASPD has more in common with sociopathy, while psychopaths is slightly different.
Psychopaths tend to have average or higher intelligent and appear more like normal people. Successful psychopaths are someone who can properly adapt to society such as businessmen and doctors, but many still exhibit a lack of empathy and callous behavior. Unsuccessful psychopaths are those who don't properly adapt to society such as serial killers. Ted Bundy is a perfect example of an unsuccessful psychopath.
Sociopaths tend be trouble-makers and don't plan thoroughly compared to psychopaths.
Both terms are difficult to define. Psychopathy has been thoroughly researched, but sociopathy hasn't received the same amount of attention.
http://changingminds.org/explanations/personality/disorders/psychopathy_sociopathy.htm
http://www.newhealthguide.org/Difference-Between-Psychopath-And-Sociopath.html
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/f6ec/473e0d233e5c7a8f0d38fcc522315f5a1a0b.pdf
Psychopathy: An Introduction to Biological Findings and Their Implications (Psychology and Crime) by Adrian Raine & Andrea L. Glenn is a great book if you are interested in psychopathy. Dr. Robert Hare is the most renown researcher in the topic of psychopathy, so he's a credible source.

Jan 19, 2018 8:42 AM

Jan 2017
I saw a fantastic listing on this last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-kNQu3zPic

It covers a wide range of different disorders, and gives the Top 25 anime to watch with characters.

Jan 19, 2018 10:07 AM

Feb 2015
>example
>tsundere
>whatever it is
>hate tsundere
>can't accept that waifu lose
>create threads that justifies why tsunderes are shit
>still hates tsundere
>fuck this character should die because tsundere
> -1000/10 anime because tsundere

@tragedydesu will certainly agree with you... Wholeheartedly!

Anyway, I dunno but I think anime archetypes isn't a mental disorder unless mangaka/author implicitly implied/showed that it is related to the archetype.
Jan 19, 2018 10:12 AM

Apr 2016
More like what mental disorder do those who are creating them have.

Jesus holy, just look at the light novels.
Jan 19, 2018 10:15 AM
Jul 2018
@MelanieYin-Chan

Hmm...interesting. I read your first source, saw a little of the other two. I'm a little confused, because the original source I listed, said that psychopaths and sociopaths are the same thing, but you've provided 3, so I'll agree with you.

Yanderes definitely do show signs of psychopathic tendencies:

-Controlling
-Cunning
-Manipulative

Tthey also show signs of BOTH sociopaths and psychopaths:

-Lack of concern for others
-Little regards to rules and social values
-Lack of guilt when doing something wrong

However, the tier-breaker, is that yanderes DO form emotional attachments, at least with their love interests, even going as far as to cry for them.

So I'd say yanderes are sociopaths, with a few traits from psychopaths.

After reading the Psychopath Test, I think Hare's idea of a list is a little too simple, in determining whether somebody is a psychopath or not.

@_Ako_

If the reason why I made this thread was to shit on tsunderes, why does my OP not have paragraphs of text, to trigger people, or even a rant? Why didn't I name the thread something like, "tsunderes suck"?
I think you're just looking for tiny blind spots.
Jan 19, 2018 10:26 AM

Feb 2015
NihilisticLoner said:
@MelanieYin-Chan

Hmm...interesting. I read your first source, saw a little of the other two. I'm a little confused, because the original source I listed, said that psychopaths and sociopaths are the same thing, but you've provided 3, so I'll agree with you.

Yanderes definitely do show signs of psychopathic tendencies:

-Controlling
-Cunning
-Manipulative

Tthey also show signs of BOTH sociopaths and psychopaths:

-Lack of concern for others
-Little regards to rules and social values
-Lack of guilt when doing something wrong

However, the tier-breaker, is that yanderes DO form emotional attachments, at least with their love interests, even going as far as to cry for them.

So I'd say yanderes are sociopaths, with a few traits from psychopaths.

After reading the Psychopath Test, I think Hare's idea of a list is a little too simple, in determining whether somebody is a psychopath or not.

@_Ako_

If the reason why I made this thread was to shit on tsunderes, why does my OP not have paragraphs of text, to trigger people, or even a rant? Why didn't I name the thread something like, "tsunderes suck"?
I think you're just looking for tiny blind spots.

Anyway, I dunno but I think anime archetypes isn't a mental disorder unless mangaka/author implicitly implied/showed that it is related to the archetype.

That was just parodies of how tsundere threads are created https://myanimelist.net/forum/search?q=Tsundere&u=&uloc=2&loc=1

Not all are hate threads but comments/replies might be... I haven't looked into it so feel free to do so if you want
Jan 20, 2018 1:26 AM

Jun 2011
There have been very few characters that I, who is autistic herself, have thought are autistic.

Haruhi Suzumiya is the first "type" of autistic. As in, lacks social boundaries, doesn't talk to anyone unless for her special interest. Doesn't seem to notice when she is rude or doing something out of the norm. Would be the "proud of being autistic" type. Possibly ADHD comorbid to be honest.

Shinji Ikari. Struggles to talk. Has a special interest in music. Has no interest in doing anything else. Feels depressed often because he feels people hate him or don't understand him. He feels trapped, out of energy. Is good in school and polite but can become violent when pushed to. Frustration, anxiety, lack of control, immense loneliness because of failure to communicate effectively. This is what I feel. Retreating from others because you don't want to hurt them... or yourself. You feel confused as to why people don't like you.... but also suck at even trying to express this. His resting face where he is just thinking but looks sad... yeah but honestly, most people with a mental illness bad enough could see themselves in Shinji.

Very similar to Shinji would be Mob from Mob Psycho 100.

Someone who is violent like Asuka is more like someone with bipolar disorder or just really bad PMS. However, she is probably saphiosexual. Which a lot of autistics are also sapiosexual.

and many autistics identify with Rei or Kaworu because they feel like a test subject, that people don't understand them, that they are alien. Generally they feel low emotional register. Or wish they could express how they feel on their face... or generally just... feel numb.... generally wished they weren't treated like human garbage... but also feel disposable and replaceable by others. Feeling like they hate people and either wish they weren't people or feel they are even better than actual people.

There is also Hishiron in RE:Life. Who struggled with all interaction in general. wasnt violent... just really really struggled with basic human interaction. But she was funny and kinda went to her own beat.

Energetic-NovaJan 20, 2018 1:42 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.

More topics from this board

» "The anime is better than the manga" you ever heard that one before?

Yuusey - 4 hours ago

32 by alexw1020 »»
10 minutes ago

» Is romance/slice of life the greatest anime genre?

Semester1 - 5 hours ago

18 by Patatita »»
14 minutes ago

» Underrated movies

JoeChip - 5 hours ago

33 by kizumi91 »»
31 minutes ago

» What's an anime people consider messed up that has no effect on you

isseixkoneko - May 26

32 by isseixkoneko »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » How much do you love your favorite character?

Shizuna - Yesterday

14 by Maou_heika »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.