Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 10, 2016 5:23 PM

Jun 2015
(Light) novels are more in detail and you can use your imagination and think more and imo probably enjoy it way more than a manga or an anime. But why is manga more popular??
.... you just watch the art and read the text... better watch anime then..
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Aug 10, 2016 5:23 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Probably because it's much easier to get into
Aug 10, 2016 5:38 PM

Sep 2013
What? Because then you're just reading a book...... a horribly translated, poorly implemented book.

And it's sometimes not even a matter of the translators, Japanese literature just has a certain style that doesn't translate well to English speakers in certain cases
Aug 10, 2016 7:24 PM

Jul 2014
Mirotokiwa said:
.... you just watch the art and read the text...

That's exactly why manga is more popular than light novels. :P

Mirotokiwa said:
better watch anime then..

Reading can never compare to watching. They're two completely different experiences.

"No matter how miserable your life becomes, never let your heart become miserable as well."
Aug 11, 2016 12:23 AM

Jun 2015
12thKnight said:
What? Because then you're just reading a book...... a horribly translated, poorly implemented book.

And it's sometimes not even a matter of the translators, Japanese literature just has a certain style that doesn't translate well to English speakers in certain cases

Yen-press usually has amazing translators.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Aug 11, 2016 12:36 AM

Dec 2011
If you leave out the word "light" (as you put this in brackets) then the answer is that it isn't, and isn't even remotely close outside of Japan.

If you look at light novels, and in the western market:
- Manga are much more established than light novels. This is partly just a case of manga having been around for longer, but also an assumption that every anime someone watches comes from manga or is an original. There are a lot of casual fans out there who between them make up a substantial portion of the manga market but who don't even realise that light novels exist.
- The fact that both manga and light novels are predominantly read by people who also watch anime, and often watched anime first. Manga has more similarities to anime than novels do so manga tends to appeal more to such people.
- Light novels in general require more attention and immersion than manga in general. This then means that you can read manga in more situations than light novels - if I know I'm likely to be distracted at any moment I'll bring a manga rather than a light novel.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Aug 11, 2016 11:25 PM

Jun 2015
kuuderes_shadow said:
If you leave out the word "light" (as you put this in brackets) then the answer is that it isn't, and isn't even remotely close outside of Japan.

If you look at light novels, and in the western market:
- Manga are much more established than light novels. This is partly just a case of manga having been around for longer, but also an assumption that every anime someone watches comes from manga or is an original. There are a lot of casual fans out there who between them make up a substantial portion of the manga market but who don't even realise that light novels exist.
- The fact that both manga and light novels are predominantly read by people who also watch anime, and often watched anime first. Manga has more similarities to anime than novels do so manga tends to appeal more to such people.
- Light novels in general require more attention and immersion than manga in general. This then means that you can read manga in more situations than light novels - if I know I'm likely to be distracted at any moment I'll bring a manga rather than a light novel.

I just meant books in general, but it's probably because I have a rich fantasy and I'd like to imagine how things are in my head instead of looking at pictures and reading the dialogue
Aug 12, 2016 1:27 AM

Jan 2013
Same reason as to why movies are more popular than books.
The pretty pictures make reading less hard.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 12, 2016 2:19 AM
Jul 2018
Blaffie said:
Same reason as to why movies are more popular than books.
The pretty pictures make reading less hard.

Well, yeah, this pretty straightforwardly puts things in perspective.
Although the same people who complain about reading LNs are usually willing to read manga panels or watch shows with subs…

Another thing I'd tack onto the list is accessibility. There are a lot fewer groups or individuals out there willing to translate light novels because of their volume, manga is easier to translate and scanalation groups are far easier to come by than LN translation groups or individuals. Depending on the popularity of the novel or the willingness of a translator to consistently grab all the volumes and translate them to non japanese fans, some LNs may never see English translation at all.
Oct 16, 2016 12:14 PM

Nov 2014
I guess it's because manga are easier to read compare to the LN
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Oct 16, 2016 7:57 PM

Sep 2016
Personally, I find that Light Novels don't have the kind of high quality writing of standard fantasy novels. I grew up reading fantasy novels like Eragon, Percy Jackson, The Chronicles of Pern, Pendragon, and many more. Transitioning from that to Light Novels felt like a huge drop in quality of writing.

When it comes to manga, I'm a lot more forgiving of bad writing, because there's usually decent art along with it. When it comes down to it, a well drawn battle scene is a lot more appealing than a light novel battle scene with lack-luster descriptive language. The same goes for romance- I find that manga facial expressions are very dynamic compared to romances in light novels(I'm looking at you, SAO.)
Oct 16, 2016 10:17 PM

Oct 2016
- Much harder to translate than manga, leads to iffy writing.
- Fewer available.
- Manga has the artwork that is often just like the anime, allowing more anime fans to transition over.
Oct 18, 2016 12:47 AM

Jan 2016
Manga has been around for a longer time, and is accepted by the Japanese as a proper part of Japanese culture more than LNs. In Japan LNs are considered to be an inferior version of normal novels. Some actually consider people reading LNs to be more close to being a Kimo-ota(Gross Otaku).
Oct 18, 2016 12:56 AM

Jan 2015
HaXXspetten said:
Probably because it's much easier to get into
I feel like this is the biggest thing. It is soo easy to pick up a manga and get into it. With a book, it takes quite a bit of time to get into it. Also what someone else said, they novels probably are not as well written as other well known sources of literature. If you want a good fantasy novel, instead of reading a light novel you can probably find a much better written novel by someone outside of Japan. Light novels are a much smaller market than traditional novels. The only competitor of manga is comic books.

I personally only read light novels as a continuation from the manga. For example, I am reading Spice and Wolf, Oregiaru, and The Irregular at Magic High School, because its the only way I can continue the story from the anime.

One huge thing (at least here in the west) is that manga is translated very easily and very quickly. When a new chapter of one piece comes out, I think you can find a translated version online within hours of release in Japan. For a translation of a novel, have fun waiting months. IF anyone decides to pick it up in the first place.
Oct 18, 2016 1:06 AM
Mar 2011
modden sohrt from sealized novels uck in th 90's thye hd stuff like slayers
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 18, 2016 1:26 AM

Jun 2015
Because a manga is easier to translate than a Novel. Most Free English translations are just from the fans.
Oct 19, 2016 10:56 PM

Apr 2010
The number of people reading any book is dropping... So why should it be different here? People prefer visualisation.

Oct 19, 2016 11:57 PM

Dec 2011
EfiChan said:
The number of people reading any book is dropping...

Citation needed.

The total number of books sold (in any format) is pretty flat and indeed has gone up slightly over the last few years.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Oct 20, 2016 12:24 AM

Dec 2015
People read mangas because they like the art style and visual storytelling of mangas. It's something you don't find in western comics.
If the visual aspect doesn't interest why would you read light novels in particular? Just read western novels. For the most light novel are not better than western fantasy novels and since Japanese is a totally different language from any other language in the world, it will always suffer from translation. And with western novels you have a story that has more chances to resonate with your cultural background.
So the real question is: if you don't care about the visual aspects of manga and anime, then why do you specifically read Japanese novels, although it often has poor writing and a you'll never get the real original content?

You just sound like you want tro show how you're superior because you "have imagination" and you don't need pictures. Having imagination is nice, but the whole interest of an art form is to see what the imagination of others has produced. If you just want to use your imagination, you don't even need to read books, you can just create your own stories in your head.

More topics from this board

» When and how did you get introduced to manga?

ColdBlackTeaFan - Yesterday

8 by The-Mighty-Ranzo »»
36 minutes ago

» What manga by junji ito has nudity?

KcmcPro - 5 hours ago

0 by KcmcPro »»
5 hours ago

» Completed my first LN.

Clannat - May 26

12 by Timeline_man »»
6 hours ago

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

178 by Trap_Traps_Traps »»
7 hours ago

» Recently Bought Manga, Mahnwa, Manhua, or Light Novels. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maora - Oct 24, 2008

5948 by Azuchi »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.