Forum Settings
Forums

XSEED localizing latest Harvest Moon on 3DS as Story of Seasons

New
May 28, 2014 10:14 PM

Feb 2010
Link: http://gematsu.com/2014/05/xseed-localizing-latest-harvest-moon-story-seasons

XSEED Games is localizing the latest Harvest Moon game, known as Harvest Moon: Tsunagaru Shin Tenchi in Japan, as Story of Seasons. That’s just Story of Seasons—not Harvest Moon: Story of Seasons.

Since XSEED, a subsidiary of Marvelous AQL, is taking over localization duties, it can’t use the Harvest Moon name, which is owned by Natsume, who has localized the series up until now. In Japan, the series is known as Bokujo Monogatari (Farm Story), thus the different owner of the English name.

You had a good run, Harvest Moon.
May 28, 2014 10:21 PM

Jun 2011
I saw this earlier today. I'm pretty happy that the series is now in the hands of a more competent publisher than Natsume.
May 28, 2014 10:29 PM

Apr 2011
inb4 Date, with his ranting about how this is gonna be horrible because of localising.
May 29, 2014 6:52 PM

Sep 2013
Kinda sucks they can't use the Harvest Moon name but at least we're getting the game.
May 29, 2014 10:49 PM
Nov 2008
why not just call it 'farm story'? rolls off the tongue a bit better, although both titles unfortunately have the shovelware vibe.
no-thanksMay 29, 2014 10:52 PM
May 29, 2014 10:52 PM

Jun 2011
Heredity said:
why not just call it 'farm story: story of seasons'? it's a franchise revival opportunity, xseed.

Story of Seasons is the new franchise title. Any future Harvest Moon games will be Story of Seasons: <insert subtitle here>

It's not the best title they could have come up with, but it's less boring than the literal translation 'Farm Story'.
May 29, 2014 10:54 PM
Nov 2008
Narmy said:
Heredity said:
why not just call it 'farm story: story of seasons'? it's a franchise revival opportunity, xseed.

Story of Seasons is the new franchise title. Any future Harvest Moon games will be Story of Seasons: <insert subtitle here>

It's not the best title they could have come up with, but it's less boring than the literal translation 'Farm Story'.
honestly, they're both boring to me. they both sound like shovelware as well, unfortunately.
May 29, 2014 11:00 PM

Jun 2011
Yeah, I agree. But if I had to choose between letting Natsume localize the games as Harvest Moon or XSEED localizing the games but changing the name, I'd go for the latter no matter what they changed it to. I hope they don't lose too many sales from the lack of brand recognition, though.
May 29, 2014 11:05 PM

Sep 2010
I'll miss the title of Harvest Moon. It sounds unique and a lot better than Story of Seasons but oh well.
May 29, 2014 11:06 PM
Nov 2008
oh, they'll lose sales alright. it's a farming game on 3ds, without 'harvest moon' attached i doubt many will even pay it more than 2 seconds of attention while browsing for something to buy. i guarantee it'll be a purchase only really made by harvest moon fans that are in the know.
May 29, 2014 11:41 PM

Sep 2007
Good. XSEED will do an infinitely better job. Natsume just don't seem like they gave a shit when they localized the games. My BNW game still have random ass Japanese text in some parts.
May 30, 2014 2:41 AM

Jan 2011
Planting cabbages will get fun again.
Jun 3, 2014 9:15 PM

Jun 2011
And here's where things get really confusing...
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/03/harvest-moon-the-lost-valley-announced

Now Natsume is developing their own game under the Harvest Moon name, while the true next entry in the Bokujou Monogatari series is coming out with this new name. I find it very dishonest of Natsume to make this announcement without clarifying that their new game isn't part of the same series as previous Harvest Moon games.
Jun 3, 2014 9:16 PM
Nov 2008
Narmy said:
And here's where things get really confusing...
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/03/harvest-moon-the-lost-valley-announced

Now Natsume is developing their own game under the Harvest Moon name, while the true next entry in the Bokujou Monogatari series is coming out with this new name. I find it very dishonest of Natsume to make this announcement without clarifying that their new game isn't part of the same series as previous Harvest Moon games.
oh god this is going to be terrible, natsume isn't very good at making their own games.

and as is expected, people in the comment section are misunderstanding what's happening. people only recognise the 'harvest moon' series title. i guarantee that 'story of seasons' will bomb.
Jun 3, 2014 9:37 PM

Jun 2011
This is pretty much a worst-case scenario for fans of the series. The casual fans who don't follow gaming news will get TLV and end up being disappointed, while most likely overlooking SoS. SoS sells less, so XSEED and Marvelous may perceive the series to not have as much potential in the west, which could lead to lower quality or non-existent localizations.

Hopefully the confusion clears up in the future as the more loyal fans try and clarify things (as I've seen them doing in the comments on various sites), since I doubt Natsume will say anything that could compromise their cash cow.
Jun 3, 2014 10:00 PM

Feb 2010
Genre war.
Jun 4, 2014 4:53 PM

Nov 2012
Heredity said:
why not just call it 'farm story'? rolls off the tongue a bit better, although both titles unfortunately have the shovelware vibe.

I believe that the trademark for Farm Story is already taken (by a mobile company).
Jun 5, 2014 7:09 PM

Jun 2011
Rune Factory better or Harvest Moon?
May 19, 2020 10:51 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Yo sorry for an unwarranted mention/notification for your inbox, but...
Narmy said:
This is pretty much a worst-case scenario for fans of the series. The casual fans who don't follow gaming news will get TLV and end up being disappointed, while most likely overlooking SoS. SoS sells less, so XSEED and Marvelous may perceive the series to not have as much potential in the west, which could lead to lower quality or non-existent localizations.

Hopefully the confusion clears up in the future as the more loyal fans try and clarify things (as I've seen them doing in the comments on various sites), since I doubt Natsume will say anything that could compromise their cash cow.

...damn, did this post age both well and poorly...

It has been frickin 6 years since this whole mess has started and there is still a large amount of the fanbase who are (rightfully) confused about what's happened to the Harvest Moon name. Thankfully, more and more people are realizing the circumstances of this event as time goes on, with people like Gammalad making very informative videos (such as this, click here!) on the matter. Natsume has done pretty much what you have said all these years ago: they have continued to announce games for the Harvest Moon series without saying anything about it technically being a completely different series from Bokujo Monogatari (which is now the Story of Seasons series in the West).
They seem to have gotten petty about it too—one Twitter user literally got blocked by Natsume's official Twitter account for telling other users about the actual developers of the Harvest Moon games everyone knows and loves.

Oh and about Story of Seasons—thankfully more and more of the games are coming, so it doesn't seem to have tanked in sales. In fact, it seems that XSeed Games's announcement of localizing the Mineral Town remake as "Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town" helped the fanbase realize where the Harvest Moon series they grew up with actually went.

Now, people might be looking at me with angry eyes and thinking: "why necro this thread? this was in 2014, how's this relevant at all today?"
...Well......

Harvest Moon: One World Announced
“Features a brand-new way of exploring Harvest Moon that seasoned players and new generations will both enjoy.”
--------------------

"This past year at the Natsume holiday party, company president Hiro Maekawa noted that in the coming year a very big project would be released—it’s possible that the newly announced Harvest Moon: One World may very well be that game. Revealed in a press release, here’s what Natsume has to say about the upcoming title:

'Harvest Moon: One World features a brand-new way of exploring Harvest Moon that seasoned players and new generations will both enjoy,” said Hiro Maekawa, President and CEO of Natsume. “Over the decades, Harvest Moon has evolved but has always retained the traditional, family-friendly farming fun that the franchise is known for. The new engine and new graphics will upgrade this experience for 2020. We are so excited to share more about the features of Harvest Moon: One World in the coming months.”

Can you imagine a world without tomatoes, strawberries, or even cabbage? That’s the situation players will find themselves in in the latest entry in the Harvest Moon series. Only an old book gives hints of what once was… Buoyed by a mysterious discovery, however, players will find themselves setting out on an adventure that spans not only their hometown but the whole world! What kind of people and places await? From the gorgeous beaches of Halo Halo to the snowy mountains of Salmiakki, there’s literally an entire world to explore!'"

Looks like Natsume's continuing on with this and taking advantage of the legacy this brand had made... people who learned about the publisher change 6 years ago have been informing the fanbase recently though.
I haven't played a new Harvest Moon game in probably a decade, and I admittedly wasn't too fond of Story of Seasons and its extensive tutorial... so I'm a person who's pretty neutral about both series (besides from seeing how weird Natsume's Harvest Moon games look). All I can say is that I honestly have very few expectations. As hilariously buggy as it is, I'll just stick to playing and failing and re-attempting to play Harvest Moon DS over and over, thank you very much.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this?
May 20, 2020 11:17 AM

Sep 2014
they guys make the senran kagura games, so ill puck this up at some point. good company, very good. the best company.
May 20, 2020 2:13 PM
Jul 2018
is this like animal crossing? I think I'll pick up The Tale of Two Towns for 3ds
May 20, 2020 6:27 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Korishi said:
is this like animal crossing? I think I'll pick up The Tale of Two Towns for 3ds

The Bokujo Monogatari series (formally known as Harvest Moon and nowadays known as Story of Seasons in the West) is more about farming and has more of a central story going on than in Animal Crossing. You can usually fish in these games too though.

Don't pick up the 3DS port of Tale of Two Towns. I've heard that it's notoriously worse than the original DS version and you're better off getting that version of the game anyway.

If you want my personal recommendation, the games with Mineral Town in them (Harvest Moon: Back to Nature for PS1, Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town / More Friends of Mineral Town for GBA, Harvest Moon: Boy and Girl for PSP, Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town for the Nintendo Switch) are probably a good start. (More) Friends of Mineral Town is considered one of the best titles in the Bokujo series among the fanbase.
You can also play the original title that started it all (simply known as "Harvest Moon" for the SNES) if you're interested, but it's incredibly dated and may be difficult to play compared to newer titles.
May 21, 2020 9:04 AM
Jul 2018
Fario-P said:
Korishi said:

The Bokujo Monogatari series (formally known as Harvest Moon and nowadays known as Story of Seasons in the West) is more about farming and has more of a central story going on than in Animal Crossing. You can usually fish in these games too though.

Don't pick up the 3DS port of Tale of Two Towns. I've heard that it's notoriously worse than the original DS version and you're better off getting that version of the game anyway.
I will just go with the 3ds one since I see no problems with it. I can even hug pets in that version. I honestly don't even like farms and even that popular game Stardew Valley doesn't interest me..

AnimeFreak-San said:
they guys make the senran kagura games, so ill puck this up at some point. good company, very good. the best company.
damn Senran Kagura Burst 1&2 look good I'll check those out

More topics from this board

» Favorite strategy video games

EarthHero - Yesterday

3 by Azulmagia88 »»
1 hour ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3573 by Stomiks »»
9 hours ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

547 by Badonkers »»
9 hours ago

» game for mobile

anhd389 - Dec 26, 2023

11 by Dumb »»
Yesterday, 3:55 PM

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

153 by Rndmguypassingby »»
Yesterday, 8:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.