Forum Settings
Forums

Anime and cartoons are NOT 2 different things.

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Sep 21, 2013 4:24 PM

Aug 2012
You can't prove the correctness of the definition of anime because people can decide on a whim which ones are right and which ones aren't based on common usage. It's like me insisting "GAY MEANS HAPPY" when I know people will laugh at me for trying to use the word as such.

What I don't understand is why this gets on your nerves.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Sep 21, 2013 4:41 PM

Apr 2013
gamer2710 said:
You can't prove the correctness of the definition of anime because people can decide on a whim which ones are right and which ones aren't based on common usage. It's like me insisting "GAY MEANS HAPPY" when I know people will laugh at me for trying to use the word as such.

What I don't understand is why this gets on your nerves.

It gets on my nerves because people are ignoring the fact that anime and cartoons are not separate and saying " anime is not cartoons" when that statement has NO scientific basis in actual fact whatsoever. It is pseudoscience.

There is an overwhelming amount of factual evidence that says otherwise
White flowers and normal dresses didnt suit you in this life and they don't now. You belong in red, the color of passion, the color of tiger lilies.
Sep 21, 2013 5:01 PM

Apr 2013
Cartoons are a type of animation. Anime is a type of animation
Cartoons and anime = animation but they have different art styles.
It all comes down to how they are presented.
an egomaniac and a fool

Sep 21, 2013 5:05 PM

Jan 2013
After seeing this discussion again and again (and again), I'm starting to wonder why people even care.
Just watch your cartoonimu and shut up.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
And the best part is that no one can prove it wrong
The best part is that you somehow actually exist.
Sep 21, 2013 5:06 PM

Apr 2013
LevailRenn said:
Cartoons are a type of animation. Anime is a type of animation
Cartoons and anime = animation but they have different art styles.
It all comes down to how they are presented.

Art styles only?
Anime is taken more serious and have more diversity , better quality of the image .
I hope you see where I'm pointing.....
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Sep 21, 2013 5:19 PM

Sep 2013
Well cartoon has the pretext of appealing to younger audiences and being silly. While there are many gruesome mature animes out there. Honestly although they are technically the same thing the styles are just too vastly different. So in my opinion they are separate. Just because they both involve animation doesn't mean they are grouped up as the same thing.
Sep 21, 2013 5:33 PM

Apr 2013
ibingealldayz said:
Well cartoon has the pretext of appealing to younger audiences and being silly. While there are many gruesome mature animes out there. Honestly although they are technically the same thing the styles are just too vastly different. So in my opinion they are separate. Just because they both involve animation doesn't mean they are grouped up as the same thing.

That does not mean anime is not cartoons. In your deluded reality, they may be separate, but here in actuality they are not. There is even another thread called " Anime/cartoons are not separate"
I suggest you read it. Highly. Anime is a type of cartooning. This is a fact and not up for debate. It's ain any animation book about anime and any book about the types of cartooning
White flowers and normal dresses didnt suit you in this life and they don't now. You belong in red, the color of passion, the color of tiger lilies.
Sep 21, 2013 5:33 PM
Sep 2013
In Japanese, anime translates to animation. So in Japan, the word "anime" includes all animation. Therefore, every single animated work is considered anime, regardless of where it's from and what style is used.

In North America, anime (which is a Japanese word) also translates to animation. However, there is a difference because there are many people who have different opinions as to what defines "anime." So it all comes down to semantics. Some people may agree with the way the Japanese consider it; all animation (such as anime) is a cartoon. Someone else, on the other hand, may use the word "anime" to distinguish where the animation was made/ worked on, whilst some other people use the word to distinguish the style used for the artwork ... and some other people may combine these two.

Overall, you have to acknowledge the cultural differences of where the word "anime" is used ... Or you might have to take into account who is saying it and how they define it. Ultimately, this argument is pointless.
LoneWolfRainSep 21, 2013 7:03 PM
Sep 21, 2013 5:40 PM

Apr 2007
I agree, in the broadest sense of the word. In fact, they call western cartoons anime in Japan so I don't really see the big deal trying to distinguish between the words.
Sep 21, 2013 5:53 PM

Aug 2013
HamtaroYesMyHam said:

There goes the ridiculous theory anime is not cartoons again.

Anime ARE cartoons. It's a scientific proven fact. And yes they ARE the same. Are you seriously fking arguing a fact??? It's been proven anime ARE cartoons.
Why is this so fuking hard for people to accept?
ANY credible animation company ( such as FUNimation) will agree.

If it has been scientifically proven then please give me a source, study, experiment...

And btw, you said before "In Japan they call all cartoons anime". Therefore you are implying its all based on the perspective of whether you would generally refer to animated tv shows as either anime or cartoons.

So how can you be right and claim its a scientifically proven fact when you are admitting yourself it is simply based on what term you use to generally refer to animated drawings?

I'll write what I said in my previous post a few pages back again.
Just because out of convenience you refer to X (animation) as Y (cartoons). It doesn't make X equal to Y.
MuuseSep 21, 2013 5:57 PM
Sep 21, 2013 6:09 PM

Jun 2011
Technically, I suppose I can agree with you, OP, as both are used to refer to animated films and series. However, the term "anime" is used outside of Japan specifically to indicate animation that is produced in Japan. It may simply mean "animation" in Japan, but it is used by us to indicate its origin, as well.

If I told you, "I've been watching an anime series that I think you'd like," you would know immediately that I am referring to an animated series produced in Japan and not, for example, an American animated series. If you would prefer to use the terms interchangeably, sure, you could do that - but it would probably result in confusion as people do think of Japanese animation as "anime," and other animation as simply "animation" or "cartoons."
Sep 21, 2013 6:13 PM

Apr 2013
HamtaroYesMyHam said:
This is a fact and not up for debate.

If it's not up for debate then you shouldn't have made this thread.
an egomaniac and a fool

Sep 21, 2013 6:57 PM

Apr 2013
LevailRenn said:
HamtaroYesMyHam said:

It's not up for debate its just otakus continue to make themselves sound uneducated by making the false claim anime isn't cartoons.

Here is a Facebook page that agrees.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Anime-is-Cartoons/395110177252788

Note: I did not give you an opinion, I gave a page someone made on Facebook that uses logic, fact and common knowledge to prove a point
Sep 21, 2013 7:05 PM

Jan 2013
HamtaroYesMyHam said:
LevailRenn said:
HamtaroYesMyHam said:

It's not up for debate its just otakus continue to make themselves sound uneducated by making the false claim anime isn't cartoons.

Note: I did not give you an opinion, I gave a page someone made on Facebook that uses logic, fact and common knowledge to prove a point
"If you have mush for brains you probably haven't noticed that this is a JOKE page designed to make fun of and shame those godawful, pathetic and weaboo infested pages that attempt to disgrace cartoons in favour of anime."

Great sources you have there. What else do you have? Maybe a youtube video?
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
Sep 21, 2013 7:07 PM

Aug 2012
HamtaroYesMyHam said:
LevailRenn said:
HamtaroYesMyHam said:

You're right, sharing such a highly regarded facebook page with all its 65 likes has won the debate for you. No need for any further discussion. Yours and 64 other's opinion is absolute.
Sep 21, 2013 7:11 PM
Sep 2013
Guys, he's trolling. It became obvious after he provided that link.
Sep 21, 2013 7:14 PM

Jan 2013
LoneWolfRain said:
Guys, he's trolling.
I think it 's called "shaming those godawful, pathetic and weaboo infested pages".
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
Sep 21, 2013 7:23 PM

Apr 2013
LoneWolfRain said:
Guys, he's trolling. It became obvious after he provided that link.[/quote}

HE???? Are you fking kidding me?????

Here is a better link.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/anime-manga-comics/flawed-arguements-for-anime-not-being-cartoons/t.11411816

And yes the show about Ciel the contracted midget and his annoying as hell sister Elizabeth IS. A cartoon. This is also a fact and not up for debate, and its about to become my new signature
Sep 21, 2013 7:23 PM

Apr 2013
AlexTheRiot said:
HamtaroYesMyHam said:
LevailRenn said:
HamtaroYesMyHam said:

You're right, sharing such a highly regarded facebook page with all its 65 likes has won the debate for you. No need for any further discussion. Yours and 64 other's opinion is absolute.
It's not a debate its a fact
Sep 21, 2013 7:38 PM

Aug 2012
HamtaroYesMyHam said:
It's not a debate its a fact
A splendid counterpoint.
Sep 21, 2013 7:38 PM

Jan 2013
fact |fakt|
noun
a thing that is indisputably the case in the opinion of HamtaroYesMyHam
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
Sep 21, 2013 7:47 PM
Jul 2018
HamtaroYesMyHam said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
A truck is not a car, and a car is not a truck. Both use essentially the same setup, both use the same technology to work mostly, both serve the same purpose (disregarding a focus on speed vs towing and things like that), and both are vehicles - but they are not the same thing.

"Japanese anime" (truck) and "cartoons" (car) are not the same. They are just both forms of 2D Animation (motor vehicle).

Anime ARE cartoons. It's a scientific proven fact. And yes they ARE the same. Are you seriously fking arguing a fact??? It's been proven anime ARE cartoons.

Thanks for sounding uneducated to the whole MyAnimeList community.

And yes, that show about Ciel the midget and Lizzy the annoying-ass IS a cartoon. Whether you like that or not. TallonKarrde23 you are so brainwashed and uneducated its not even funny. It's just pissing me off how you continue to ignore facts when everyone else on this entire thread accepts.

Maybe you should stop reading otaku propaganda and start reading fact and factual evidence like Forgetfulness's post and Rinshansan's post. They seem to not be ignorant on this subject.

Why do you care so much about this silly topic?
Sep 21, 2013 8:12 PM

Apr 2013
Battlechili1 said:
HamtaroYesMyHam said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
A truck is not a car, and a car is not a truck. Both use essentially the same setup, both use the same technology to work mostly, both serve the same purpose (disregarding a focus on speed vs towing and things like that), and both are vehicles - but they are not the same thing.

"Japanese anime" (truck) and "cartoons" (car) are not the same. They are just both forms of 2D Animation (motor vehicle).

Thanks for sounding uneducated to the whole MyAnimeList community.

And yes, that show about Ciel the midget and Lizzy the annoying-ass IS a cartoon. Whether you like that or not. TallonKarrde23 you are so brainwashed and uneducated its not even funny. It's just pissing me off how you continue to ignore facts when everyone else on this entire thread accepts.

Maybe you should stop reading otaku propaganda and start reading fact and factual evidence like Forgetfulness's post and Rinshansan's post. They seem to not be ignorant on this subject.

Why do you care so much about this silly topic?

I care because people are ignoring the facts and the fact that the show about Ciel the midget and Elizabeth Ethical Cordelia whoever and Cebby the vampire hell servant and the bigass white werewolf is a cartoon is one of the MANY they're refusing to accept. Not that this is the main concern of the thread, its just pissing me off. I know I'll make a separate thread about it.
Sep 21, 2013 8:31 PM

Aug 2012
HamtaroYesMyHam said:
I know I'll make a separate thread about it.
pls don't
Sep 21, 2013 8:50 PM

Apr 2013
AlexTheRiot said:
HamtaroYesMyHam said:
I know I'll make a separate thread about it.
pls don't
Too bad, Im starting it now
What's gonna happen if I don't? Will the world blow up?
Sep 21, 2013 10:54 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
I'm locking this before it turns into another flame war. Also, it's not a discussion, something like this is more suited for your blog:
http://myanimelist.net/myblog.php

Locked.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» What time in a day do you enjoy watching anime the most?

Rinrinka - 3 hours ago

21 by FZREMAKE »»
7 minutes ago

» Good characters trapped in bad series.

Anjuro - May 29

37 by FZREMAKE »»
10 minutes ago

» What is an "ironic weeaboo"?

IdeDial - 48 minutes ago

0 by IdeDial »»
48 minutes ago

» Which anime do you think deserves a reboot or continuation, and why?

Gashadokur0 - May 29

25 by deg »»
1 hour ago

» What does your waifu expect of you?

SgtBateMan - 12 hours ago

20 by deg »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.