Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 7, 2013 1:26 AM

Mar 2009
If Iori really annoys you then I think maybe you should cut her some slack, because if she went to a psychotherapist then I'm pretty sure she would be diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). She shows textbook history for this, having suffered multiple abandonments in her earlier childhood, and now she's left with so many "false personalities" that she doesn't know who the real Iori is. The way it manifests itself was a little atypical in the main season (although she was showing some characteristic impulsive behavior), but in this arc we see the sudden personality swings in full effect.

And I don't mean this unkindly, but perhaps it's for the best that she's without a partner now - this is because being in a relationship with someone who has BPD can be very damaging, so damaging that some authorities recommend you should have psychotherapy yourself if you've ever been in one!
Jan 7, 2013 10:30 AM

Jul 2010
I understand the fact that she's emotionally unstable and because of past experiences has trouble with her "real" personality (or BPD if you want to call it) and I'll admit I do not know much about it but even though she suffers from it, I don't think she should be given a "free" pass for the way she behaves now. (I'm referring to episode 1 now).

I hardly believe that the fact that someone has BPD would mean that person isn't capable of expressing herself or voicing her opinion and instead push everyone away with a cold, indifferent or annoyed attitude. Of course this is the way she tries to protect herself but that is a different problem than the BPD if you ask me. The fact that she has problems with "false personalities" doesn't have much to do with the fact that she refuses to talk with her friends, only shunning them and killing the mood around them but at the same tinme not explaining anything and making them worried.
In my opinion the main source for her problems is the BPD but it isn't the cause of the way she reacts to especially Inaba and Taichi, that is her own choice and she's making the decision how to react fully conciously so it's not something you can blame her BPD for, it's merely the source of the problem.

And the way she reacts towards the others is the thing that irritates me about her, I don't really hate her character or anything but it does annoy me the way she treats her friends after all they've gone through. They at least deserve some kind of explanatin or a different attitude.

But then again, I don't know much about BPD and how people are affected by it so this is just my opinion about it. It's just that I think she treats her friends, on whom she relied earlier on, like crap while it would be better if she were to explain more or at least not get angry at them for trying to figure out what's wrong with her.
Jan 7, 2013 6:07 PM

Jun 2009
You are over analyzing this. Really Iori knew who she was. She had her mask and the personality she believes to be her true self. Really the problem was that she couldn't realize that both her mask and her "true self" are both aspects of her real personality. Take a look into Johari window to see what I mean.

So really this was an arc about Iori bitching that no one could see her true self when she hasn't even tried to show anyone her true self. It's a typical "No one truly understands me" self important mindset of a teenager. You are pissed that no one see's beyond your shown personality and give them the unreasonable demand of seeing something in you that you didn't even display.
All in all it's just Iori making a mountain out of molehill.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

May 8, 2013 3:50 AM

Sep 2009
I don't hate Iori.
May 8, 2013 3:54 AM
Jul 2012
I don't like her because of since of her attitude change, she becomes very annoying and hateful.
May 16, 2013 1:13 AM
May 2012
Whaaaat? Iori is the most interesting person out of the whole group. I've always wondered what she's been holding back from others.

But, on the other hand, she is overthinking about it way too much. I can relate to her as well, as I too have that problem.
May 30, 2013 9:45 AM
Jul 2010
AidanAK47 said:
You are over analyzing this. Really Iori knew who she was. She had her mask and the personality she believes to be her true self. Really the problem was that she couldn't realize that both her mask and her "true self" are both aspects of her real personality. Take a look into Johari window to see what I mean.

So really this was an arc about Iori bitching that no one could see her true self when she hasn't even tried to show anyone her true self. It's a typical "No one truly understands me" self important mindset of a teenager. You are pissed that no one see's beyond your shown personality and give them the unreasonable demand of seeing something in you that you didn't even display.
All in all it's just Iori making a mountain out of molehill.

^This. Her behavior was just a typical teenager's caprice, trying to act like nobody could understand her but she wasn't even trying to help. Oneself may have several kinds of "personalities", but it doesn't mean you're schizophrenic or anything; I would say, it's normal for many people to separate their thoughts and how they behave with these or those people. The fact Iori already questioned herself about it in the first act bothered me a bit, but Michi Random was way too much.
Jun 21, 2013 10:55 PM

Sep 2009
i don't hate her, i like her, i identified myself with her even in her worst personality, i like her and i understand her.
Aug 15, 2013 4:51 AM

Aug 2012
For those people who hate Iori after Michi Random ....you are being brainwashed by Sadanatsu Anda ......as your are forced to hate Iori so that all of you would not hate Taichi or Inaban at the end.

The character change of Iori was way too forced. I dont like it.
Sep 25, 2013 10:38 AM
May 2012
I like her :3
Jul 16, 2014 4:12 PM

Jan 2009
I personally thought it was interesting.

Sudden perhaps but it was a good subversion of her type of character.
I'm just a big visual novel fan but have also watched quite a bit of anime and played a bunch of games. Avatar is Mashiro from Making*Lovers and Kotori from Rewrite.
Nov 12, 2014 11:55 PM
Sep 2013
I don't hate her but she annoyed the fk out of me. So glad, and rather surprised, that Taichi ended up with Inaba.
Jan 2, 2015 9:19 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I hated her with passion cause of her being completely unstable for a stupid reason (overthinking, seriously?) I was fine with her at the end when she found herself, but i don't care her.
Jan 16, 2015 12:49 AM

Feb 2010
Animefanx3 said:

I hardly believe that the fact that someone has BPD would mean that person isn't capable of expressing herself or voicing her opinion and instead push everyone away with a cold, indifferent or annoyed attitude.

Quote from wiki:

the essential feature of which is a pattern of marked impulsivity and instability of affects, interpersonal relationships and self image. (...)

Other symptoms usually include intense fears of abandonment and intense anger and irritability, the reason for which others have difficulty understanding.[1][2] People with BPD often engage in idealization and devaluation of others, alternating between high positive regard and great disappointment.

You don't call it "the disorder" for nothing.

@Thoguht
In my opinion she don't have the BPD. What I have read/heard is that Borderline change your behavior more often (even daily). Lots of things may make you cry (oh flower... *cries*). All her talk with Taichi, the other guy, female classmate doesn't show too much Borderline. She was stoic.
On the other hand, if she had a disorder, it might be bipolar ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder ) more than borderline. Bipolar's manic and depressive episodes change less often (months/weeks). She was "depressed" at least few days. Borderline may occurs at daily basis and it's "normal". It is less likely to happen in the Bipolar (there is rapid and ultra rapid cycling but I think they happens less often)

ps. it's not that I think she has the bipolar disorder but it's more likely than the borderline.
Jan 16, 2015 1:25 AM

Dec 2014
Animefanx3 said:

I hardly believe that the fact that someone has BPD would mean that person isn't capable of expressing herself or voicing her opinion and instead push everyone away with a cold, indifferent or annoyed attitude. Of course this is the way she tries to protect herself but that is a different problem than the BPD if you ask me.

Oh man it's been 2 years since I've seen this. I would have been really pumped up in discussing Iori back then. All I remember about this was that I know a lot of people found her personality REALLY annoying in Michi Random but I really love how her character changed. She was a lot more interesting in the specials than she was in the tv series. I was never fond of the happy girl act. Characters are a lot more interesting when they are in this mindset.

She does not have BPD btw, she's just an angsty teenager trying to deal with her emotions as best as she can and pushing everyone away in the process. I guess it does not really justify her actions but I do think her character feels more real because of her actions. She was too cookie cutter in the tv series. She doesn't have any mental disorders, but the closest thing to it would probably be depression since hopelessness, irritability, and recklessness are all symptoms of depression. But I wouldn't look too deep into things, she's just a normal teenager trying to deal with her angst. Somehow, when these type of characters are male, people tend to be more forgiving.

Short answer: No, Iori does not annoy me.
Feb 24, 2015 4:13 PM

Aug 2014
What the writers did to Iori in the anime is just called bad writing.

They made her less likeable as the anime went on, and made Inaban more likeable as the anime went on. So that we the audience can see that Inaban is the best chick.
Jun 3, 2015 12:29 PM
Apr 2015
chifuyu said:

Oh man it's been 2 years since I've seen this. I would have been really pumped up in discussing Iori back then. All I remember about this was that I know a lot of people found her personality REALLY annoying in Michi Random but I really love how her character changed. She was a lot more interesting in the specials than she was in the tv series. I was never fond of the happy girl act. Characters are a lot more interesting when they are in this mindset.

^^This. Iori is the best character in this franchise.

chifuyu said:

She does not have BPD btw, she's just an angsty teenager trying to deal with her emotions as best as she can and pushing everyone away in the process. I guess it does not really justify her actions but I do think her character feels more real because of her actions. She was too cookie cutter in the tv series. She doesn't have any mental disorders, but the closest thing to it would probably be depression since hopelessness, irritability, and recklessness are all symptoms of depression. But I wouldn't look too deep into things, she's just a normal teenager trying to deal with her angst. Somehow, when these type of characters are male, people tend to be more forgiving.

Agreed until the last line. Who likes whiny boy like Shinji?
Dec 29, 2015 9:32 PM

Aug 2012
I hate Iori so much. She is such a whiny brat! Even after reading your post, I still hate her. That attitude change, ugh, just ruined my enjoyment for this series.
Feb 29, 2016 4:19 PM

Dec 2015
I understood what was happening but it was hard to not feel irritated by what she was doing. It was just so much of a 180 and after everything that happend you would think she would have some faith in her friends. also it was mentioned when she talked to heart seed that the only emotions or thoughts shared to her friends were her abosute worst ones. So we really only got to see the mean negative things that she thought of.

For most of the season she was my favorite girl but this slowly changed over to inaba as more character development happened. It's one extreme or the other with her. In the beginning of this series I was all about iori x taichi but about halfway through I was rooting for inaba. She is genuine, even though she came out cold in the beginning her reasons for it made sense. By the end of this we all saw exactly who inaba and iori really are as people. I don't have a dislike for her but my views are way different then from the beginning.
Mar 2, 2016 1:03 PM

Jan 2009
I'm glad I watched this show and read about this character, because I found her so annoying and wished someone would shoot her, but now I can sympathize with her.
I guess I learned how to take people's problems seriously, or at least I'm learning, that was a good experience.
Aug 4, 2017 5:03 PM

Dec 2015
There was nothing wrong with Iori as a character. What went wrong with this sequel was how the plot writers unfairly fucked her character up. What happened in this series is the opposite of how you should treat someone with a personality disorder.

The extent to which the class turned against her + Taichi's lack of empathy towards her was just disgusting. Popular girl in the class is acting unlike herself? Let's all shit on her because a bitch and her two sidekicks told us to!

I'm surprised they didn't introduce suicide themes with how far they stretched this mess.

~
Oct 25, 2019 4:47 PM
Nov 2017
K i just watched the ovas last week and all i can say is that i was expecting more.
i can handle the first 2 ovas but my expectations of iori being the new mean shitty character all people might resonate when the hyper optimism of tach n othersi is just too much for negative people went totally down after the confesion scene with taichi ,nagase and inabada.
I was decived because i thought she was gonna find her way despite her shitty, avarage attitude between her chereful,happy bright friends.
but instead it all turned in a conflict between his ideal and his real person sort of thing. wich is, ok i guess i mean , not what i expected but it would be totally fine if at leats there were a mark or a sign of improvement (or desimprovement ) in her after this whole arc. but nop, shes still the same as far as i can see in the last minutes of the episode n she even regains her popularity in the classroom afterwards.
Nov 29, 2019 10:55 AM
Dec 2018
I guess this arc covers the part where Iori is trying to find her true identity, confront it and accept it in front of others. She's been fake her whole life (fake =/= bad), just adapting herself according to the other person. But when this transmission phenomenon came, she realized she won't be able to fake it anymore, and people will hate her true self. On top of it she was confused what's her true self. Think of it same as being excellent in academics when you don't even like academics, but you keep up the act because you're able to do it. Problem comes when it gets harder and everyone still expects you to excel, but you keep getting worse. But say you started liking academics but still suck at it, you'll eventually feel you're not good at it and think to leave it. That sums up life of Iori.

Now it's revealed that she's not what everyone expected she was, everyone thought there's something (temporarily) wrong with her. They assume her past self was true and the current phase is just temporary, which might go away. But it's not. She indeed loved her friends, but since she (feels that she) sucks at it, she almost gave up hope. The not so random transmission was somewhat to blame too.

Why are people annoyed? Because that's what they didn't expect. There's nothing wrong with writing; it happens with anime-fans when an anime adaptions different from their beloved manga or characters turns out to be different from what they had imagined. Iori wasn't mean or cruel; she just picked the worst of all her personalities. Bad (but planned) timing of her emotional transmission surprised her friends, and made her think she'd be hated. She also accepted 'all-bad' side to be her true personality, only to realize in end she had bits of her personality in each of her personalities.

Dec 17, 2019 12:58 AM

Jul 2019
Yes, its normal to be annoyed honestly but I do understand WHAT she feels, but not WHY. This is mainly due to the lack of the support in the writing of the story itself imo. They could have done better in 13 episodes to at least get us better understanding why Iori has the 'identity crisis'. The backstory of her were done poorly in the series. Such a shame because the last finale episodes were really good.
Jan 7, 2020 1:02 PM
Jun 2017
It shouldn't, unless you're way underage for watching this show... C'mon... What's with all this man-childs on this site? It's frikin fiction. I get being annoyed at a badly written character but this? Iori is exactly what she was meant to be by the author and she was flawlessly displayed. You can dislike the type of person she represents but most of you here act like loonies!
May 3, 2020 6:58 AM

Apr 2019
For the record, everyone except Aoki seemed to annoy me. And if I had to pick one, it isn't Iori but rather Taichi that annoys me the most.
Well, all that aside, I agree that it was for the best that she didn't end up in a relationship with anyone, but that's not because she had BPD or anything.
And, considering it's anime, one wouldn't see if a person has BPD or any other problems if they are to love and be loved, I mean, anything "can" happen.
Rem is best girl
May 31, 2020 2:23 AM
Apr 2018
I don't like DRAMA genre in general, because the characters are meddlesome ; almost every character.
Since, we don't see FUUSENKAZURA (he is doing for his fun, he say) & HIMEKO meddle much compared to others, they are much likable than any other characters.

IORI is also a meddlesome character like others, i don't favor her either.
Doutei-kunMay 31, 2020 2:27 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kokoro Connect: Michi Random Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 30, 2012

464 by ZER0PT »»
May 22, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Kokoro Connect: Michi Random Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 30, 2012

107 by bakakisima »»
Mar 12, 1:10 PM

Poll: » Kokoro Connect: Michi Random Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 30, 2012

132 by bakakisima »»
Mar 12, 12:14 PM

Poll: » Kokoro Connect: Michi Random Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 30, 2012

118 by ShinekyOuki »»
Mar 9, 9:30 PM

» Y’all thoughts on ep 4?

WannabeWeeb_ - Aug 12, 2021

9 by Lodic »»
Aug 18, 2021 7:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.