Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »
Mar 4, 2013 2:51 PM

Aug 2012
Everyone thinks Asuna should have been able to put up a fight against game mod/devs, lolwut? Kirito only won because his soul hacking abilities.

She's still overpowered, just not as overpowered as the main dude anymore, she could probably kick Kirito's sister's butt in a few seconds
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Mar 6, 2013 11:44 PM

May 2012
I'm actually in love with Asuna. Just because she can be a bad ass doesn't mean she's a bad character for falling in love and being vulnerable. I actually found Sugu to be annoying and unappealing most of the time. And I find the fact that people are using Sugu's body type as a comparable trait to Asuna's complexity to be pretty disgusting.
Mar 7, 2013 12:01 AM

Mar 2012
ComplexCRUSH said:
I'm actually in love with Asuna. Just because she can be a bad ass doesn't mean she's a bad character for falling in love and being vulnerable. I actually found Sugu to be annoying and unappealing most of the time. And I find the fact that people are using Sugu's body type as a comparable trait to Asuna's complexity to be pretty disgusting.

You on drugs?
Mar 7, 2013 2:46 AM
Feb 2013
Y the hate, Asuna is awesome :O
Sugu is nice too, but the incest ruin the whole thing.
The moment when Asuna and Kirito gets reunited is so sweet
Mar 7, 2013 3:43 AM

Mar 2012
It's sort of a stupid question to ask since the haters of this series are fucking insane. I've seen a lot of people put this on their "worst anime ever watched" list. I can honestly say I wish SAO was the worst thing I've ever watched because I would be a very happy anime viewer. Seriously, SAO doesn't hold a candle to shows like Mars Of Destruction, Star Ocean EX, Hidan no Aria, etc. Hell, I wouldn't even consider it the worst "popular" anime I've ever watched. Try sitting through Neon Genesis Evangelion as a neutral, no bias anime viewer. That's the most pretentious, worst executed sack of crap that I'll ever expose myself too. Honestly, I hate NGE so much it makes SAO seem good. Go ahead, fire away. Mock me all you want for saying something like that. At least SAO's characters didn't make me hate them enough where I wanted to send hate mail to everyone involved in the production studio.

As for Asuna, the reason why I see people hate her was due to her role change. She went from being a strong character with a ton of individuality to a character that was completely reliant to Kirito. I'll admit, I wasn't a big fan of that myself but it didn't cause me to hate Asuna. It just caused me to hate the writers for sort of screwing it up. Truth be told, I really liked Asuna's character...I'm just not a fan of how the writers made her so reliant on Kirito.
Mar 7, 2013 3:00 PM

May 2012
Smooched said:
ComplexCRUSH said:

You on drugs?

- _ - No.
Mar 8, 2013 10:23 PM

Apr 2012
Smooched said:
ComplexCRUSH said:

You on drugs?

Just oblivious to bad characterization and writing.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Mar 9, 2013 7:20 AM

Sep 2011
I didn't love nor hate her. She doesn't really stand out, but I still liked her. Though I hate the fact that she had to become a damsel in distress.
I actually liked Suguha more (nope, not because of her boobs), I found her very realistic and just overall a more likeable. She was probably my favorite character from the show. Though none of them were good enough to make it into my top 10.

As for who should get together with Kirito, it's Asuna imo. I never really saw Suguha as a potential love interest for him to begin with. Asuna and Kirito just make a better pair. Suguha seemed more like a friend or partner to him.
Mar 9, 2013 12:51 PM

May 2012
I joined this site to share my opinions, but I guess this is more of a "share my opinion or get out" kind of place. -_-
Mar 9, 2013 1:14 PM

Aug 2012
Happens with any anime that ends up with a huge fanbase, some people who see it as "just another regular anime" get pissed at the fact that it's popular and try to critic it as much as possible - sometimes even resorting to bashing the fans. Although their attempt to lower the popularity scale little to never works.
Mar 9, 2013 3:19 PM

Jul 2012
ComplexCRUSH said:
I joined this site to share my opinions, but I guess this is more of a "share my opinion or get out" kind of place. -_-

Welcome to MAL.
Mar 9, 2013 4:08 PM

Mar 2012
ComplexCRUSH said:

Didn't mean to offend you, but your little diatribe made zero sense to me, and sounded as if you were on drugs.
Mar 9, 2013 4:25 PM

Feb 2013
i personally like girls with long hair so i would choose asuna over suguha
"Currently playing the Game of of Life"
Poppin Pills is All We Know - Antidote
Mar 9, 2013 6:55 PM

Jan 2013
I love Asuna the most. The writers tore her character apart in ALO, and that isn't her fault. I was so pissed at what she went through that I wanted Kirito to kill the guy. Asuna is just more my style in every way. She is drawn and created to my specific liking.

I don't have a problem with any characters though. Everyone has their own uniqueness.
Mar 12, 2013 3:45 AM

Nov 2011
BOTH characters are bad. Asuna was fine until they decided to turn her into an object rather than a character. Suguha is an 'Otaku's wet dream' with her brother complex. And I don't care that they aren't technically related- They were RAISED AS SIBLINGS, it's still incest.

Both characters are prime examples of otaku-pandering objectification of women in anime.

Strong woman turned into a feeble girl who needs protecting and rescuing.

Girl with brother complex.

It disgusts me that people find these traits attractive.
Mar 12, 2013 5:31 AM

Apr 2009
Amberleh said:
BOTH characters are bad. Asuna was fine until they decided to turn her into an object rather than a character. Suguha is an 'Otaku's wet dream' with her brother complex. And I don't care that they aren't technically related- They were RAISED AS SIBLINGS, it's still incest.

Both characters are prime examples of otaku-pandering objectification of women in anime.

Girl with brother complex. People who like these traits should reflect on their expectations and standards.

I can only second all of this.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Mar 12, 2013 5:04 PM

Mar 2013
Amberleh said:

Girl with brother complex.

mmm... well surely every guy is entitled to say kind of girl he likes no? :P you might find it disgusting. u may find it sexist. but then u don't have to be this kind of girl or go out with a guy that likes these kind of girls.

i personally loved asuna and loved this anime. but thats because it simply connects with the way i think. she's strong, kiriko leaves some fights to her simply because he knows how strong she is. i like cute, and asuna is very cute. the fact that she became a damsel adds levels to cuteness over 9000 but i'll admit does diminish the strong side of her. but thats just how the plot went.

kind of went of point here and i don't know why your comment "It disgusts me that people find these traits attractive." bothered me so much. but there are many reasons ranging from simply thats what a guy wants or that he just wants to be seen in the hero's light. in which case there is usually a damsel.

i liked sugu but she felt as she was. a side interest. i have no objections to incest in general (outside of siblings and parents/children/grandparents) and think this is more of a barrier put up by society from the longest time to seem wrong among other things. but as a character she didnt really fit with kiriko in the same way asuna did, nor was she as strong/independant.

rambled abit here but my longing and own shortcomings make me attactched to alternate reality's quite strongly and make me rather opinionated on these matters ^^;

Edit:
FardaleMar 12, 2013 5:08 PM
You might beat me at being clever, but you KNOW you can't end an argument with a fanboy.
Mar 12, 2013 5:39 PM

Nov 2011
See, Fardale, this is part of my problem. BECAUSE of anime like this boys/men like yourself develop these unrealistic standards for women.

Allow me to present an example.

Unfortunately I can no longer find the image as I forgot to save it, but there was an ad- I assume on Craig's List or something- Of a 22 year old guy that wanted an Asian girlfriend. The guy was chubby, which in and of itself is not a problem- Love the person for who they are, not their body. The problems were that:

1. He wanted an Asian woman in an age range of 16-23. SIXTEEN. THE MAN IS 22.
2. He stated that Japanese culture is superior because he likes anime.
3. He said that the girl could weigh no more than 115 pounds and had to be cute. Note this man was very unnattractive and obviously believed someone should be loved for their personality, yet he is demanding to only have someone who is cute and tiny.
4. He asked for her to have a traditional ladies' education.

There were other things, but those were what stood out to me. To be honest, I was incredibly offended. The guy is an obvious sexist and I have a hunch that much of that came from his love of anime, because nearly all anime is sexist in its portrayal of women- Yes, even shoujo. Josei works and works by Miyazaki are some of the few exceptions.

Asuna not only became weak, but they used attempted rape to develop the character of that one creepy dude and give Kirito an excuse to almost kill him- In other words, Asuna's suffering became an object to make Kirito look cooler and that one guy look more evil. It didn't add anything to HER character. Doesn't this bother you at all?

Anime today tends to over-use rape and attempted rape. Both of these are powerful elements that should not be used in every story and should only be used if it actually ADDS SOMETHING to the story and isn't just there as fanservice or just there for 'darkness', as would be the case in Mirai Nikki and Elfen Lied. The rape in both of those series added NOTHING to the story and instead was offensive and laughable.

For an example of rape used properly in anime/manga, read the manga "Mars". Or, for classic literature, "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings".

Look, we all have shortcomings. I have plenty. But BECAUSE we all have shortcomings you can't decide on a 'type' of girl/guy you like and only go after that, and many anime fans do this- Many are unattractive, yet due to their love of anime and the way nerdy guys are portrayed as getting hot girls and harems, they think that they too deserve this and set their standards very high, thereby becoming the kind of person they hate. They won't give a girl who might be somewhat unattractive the time of day, yet this guy might be EVEN MORE unattractive than said girl and probably with a much crummier personality than hers.
AmberlehMar 12, 2013 5:45 PM
Mar 12, 2013 5:45 PM

Aug 2012
Whoa whoa whoa whoa, hold up here..

That person you used as an example was definitly cherry picking his anime. Kirito is far from ugly or fat. That person was clearly deluded.

If anime has ever taught me anything.. (it didn't actually teach me this, it's just a joke) is that ugly people are always either the bad guys or the third wheels

(Also in some places 16 is legal as long as there is a 5 year or less difference, but yes he was clearly sexist)
Mar 12, 2013 5:46 PM

Nov 2011
Ghostony said:
Whoa whoa whoa whoa, hold up here..

That person you used as an example was definitly cherry picking his anime. Kirito is far from ugly or fat. That person was clearly deluded.

(Also in some places 16 is legal as long as there is a 5 year or less difference, but yes he was clearly sexist)

Kirito wasn't ugly or fat no, but SAO is still an example of self-insert fanboy pandering for fellows like the guy I mentioned. Kirito is much more of a Gary Stu than your typical harem lead.
Mar 12, 2013 5:47 PM

Jun 2012
Amberleh said:
See, Fardale, this is part of my problem. BECAUSE of anime like this boys/men like yourself develop these unrealistic standards for women.

Allow me to present an example.

Unfortunately I can no longer find the image as I forgot to save it, but there was an ad- I assume on Craig's List or something- Of a 22 year old guy that wanted an Asian girlfriend. The guy was chubby, which in and of itself is not a problem- Love the person for who they are, not their body. The problems were that:

1. He wanted an Asian woman in an age range of 16-23. SIXTEEN. THE MAN IS 22.
2. He stated that Japanese culture is superior because he likes anime.
3. He said that the girl could weigh no more than 115 pounds and had to be cute. Note this man was very unnattractive and obviously believed someone should be loved for their personality, yet he is demanding to only have someone who is cute and tiny.
4. He asked for her to have a traditional ladies' education.

There were other things, but those were what stood out to me. To be honest, I was incredibly offended. The guy is an obvious sexist and I have a hunch that much of that came from his love of anime, because nearly all anime is sexist in its portrayal of women- Yes, even shoujo. Josei works and works by Miyazaki are some of the few exceptions.

Asuna not only became weak, but they used attempted rape to develop the character of that one creepy dude and give Kirito an excuse to almost kill him- In other words, Asuna's suffering became an object to make Kirito look cooler and that one guy look more evil. It didn't add anything to HER character. Doesn't this bother you at all?

Anime today tends to over-use rape and attempted rape. Both of these are powerful elements that should not be used in every story and should only be used if it actually ADDS SOMETHING to the story and isn't just there as fanservice or just there for 'darkness', as would be the case in Mirai Nikki and Elfen Lied. The rape in both of those series added NOTHING to the story and instead was offensive and laughable.

For an example of rape used properly in anime/manga, read the manga "Mars". Or, for classic literature, "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings".

Look, we all have shortcomings. I have plenty. But BECAUSE we all have shortcomings you can't decide on a 'type' of girl/guy you like and only go after that, and many anime fans do this- Many are unattractive, yet due to their love of anime and the way nerdy guys are portrayed as getting hot girls and harems, they think that they too deserve this and set their standards very high, thereby becoming the kind of person they hate. They won't give a girl who might be somewhat unattractive the time of day, yet this guy might be EVEN MORE unattractive than said girl and probably with a much crummier personality than hers.

That was me you asshole.
Mar 12, 2013 5:51 PM

Nov 2011
YorozuyaGinSan said:

That was me you asshole.

If this forum had upvotes, I would upvote you. Well played sir. /salute

Also, you're 19-20.
Mar 12, 2013 5:54 PM

Mar 2013
mmm true. and i would personally like the same but then this whole reality thing comes into play and self esteem doesnt help me either :P i get what ur saying and ur right. it doesnt enter the boundries reality allows and is extremely sexist. but hardcore anime fans i would say most and ofc don't speak for all but, we're looking for that escape and our perfect world which includes our perfect girl. now speaking personally. don't care what she looks like she has the personality i want to be with. but in a perfect world why can't she be cute too? although in a perfect world i'd be cute too and this whole conversation would be irrelevant ^^

I don't disagree with his opinion but i do disagree with him for trying to apply it to the real world. it doesnt fit and thats the depressing thing.

as for the rape mechanic. it isnt pretty no, but trying to stick with the post topic here ... :P what he did to asuna was merely to make you hate him. and it worked -.- twisted bastard! HANDS OF ASUNA OR I KEEL YOU! overall yes it could do with less of it ^^; but i think its a real problem in japan and quite a large part of their culture atm. ofc they're more open about these things... and as for the age, here in the uk its 16+ flat (unless your a part of the lives ie, teacher/doctor/socialworkder/gaurdian etc etc)
You might beat me at being clever, but you KNOW you can't end an argument with a fanboy.
Mar 12, 2013 6:01 PM

Nov 2011
Fardale said:
mmm true. and i would personally like the same but then this whole reality thing comes into play and self esteem doesnt help me either :P i get what ur saying and ur right. it doesnt enter the boundries reality allows and is extremely sexist. but hardcore anime fans i would say most and ofc don't speak for all but, we're looking for that escape and our perfect world which includes our perfect girl. now speaking personally. don't care what she looks like she has the personality i want to be with. but in a perfect world why can't she be cute too? although in a perfect world i'd be cute too and this whole conversation would be irrelevant ^^

I don't disagree with his opinion but i do disagree with him for trying to apply it to the real world. it doesnt fit and thats the depressing thing.

as for the rape mechanic. it isnt pretty no, but trying to stick with the post topic here ... :P what he did to asuna was merely to make you hate him. and it worked -.- twisted bastard! HANDS OF ASUNA OR I KEEL YOU! overall yes it could do with less of it ^^; but i think its a real problem in japan and quite a large part of their culture atm. ofc they're more open about these things... and as for the age, here in the uk its 16+ flat (unless your a part of the lives ie, teacher/doctor/socialworkder/gaurdian etc etc)

Thank you for not raging, I appreciate it. The fact that you are aware that it's only fantasy and has no bearing whatsoever on reality gives me some hope, which I had recently lost after finishing SAO.

I have tried to find specific statistics on rape in Japan and how often it is prosecuted and how severly, but I have not had much luck yet. But as you say, if the treatment it gets in anime and hentai is any indication then I would assume the rates are high and much goes unreported and reporting it is probably fairly looked down upon.
Mar 12, 2013 6:06 PM

Aug 2012

You may have been using the wrong keywords.. try things similar to "gangs in japan"

Back on topic...

I never really saw Asuna as anyone special, even in the beginning when she was one of the powerful characters, she seemed to have normal traits every way I look at her.. just an average girl

But with that said, I don't dislike her either. I think people are over-reacting but whatevs

Apr 2009
HANDS OF ASUNA OR I KEEL YOU!

Which lead to another flawed and terribly written scene in the last few episodes, where Kirito choose to reduce the Pain-Absorber to zero and virtually mutilate Sugou instead of priorizing the saving of Asuna despite his admin rights. The pinnacle of objectification if you ask me.
The blatant disregard towards the feelings of his should-be most important person in life in favor of simple black-and-white pseudo-revenge logic was just horrible - it is stupid as hell to virtually provoke a person who has power in real life. But then again, Kawahara only goes for the simplest solutions because he isn't capable of good writing.

And while I don't think that rape is a big problem in Japan, the latent sexism is present and shows itself in their media output.
NidhoeggrMar 12, 2013 6:09 PM

Jan 2012
I was curious why this thread was up all the time in the ticker, especially since I think Asuna is quite popular overall....
.... uneducated feminazi shitting up the thread. Oh well, mystery solved.

I won't bother with most of what you wrote, because the few sentences I read already wasted enough of my time. Just one quick thing, Japan has one of the lowest rape rates worldwide, same for their teenage pregnancy rates.

Now, would you like to guess which country comes out on top of both of these? Hint: They're not producing a lot of cartoons, or at least, not as many as Japan.

Nidhoeggr said:
And while I don't think that rape is a big problem in Japan, the latent sexism is present and shows itself in their media output.

Unlike in several other well developed countries.
bNqMar 12, 2013 6:12 PM
Mar 12, 2013 6:11 PM

Mar 2013
no need to rage ^^ but as epic as this debate is i think we move it away from topic a tad bit. erm... quick quick lets see....

I DON'T KNOW WHY ASUNA WAS AWESOME!!!

there. fixed it :P

but all i was trying to say was, don't find it disgusting that some guys like the sterotypical damsal :P there are plenty out there. its more about ego/pride/self esteem boosting then being sexist i think. thats what life is supposed to be about right? :P choices! if he wants a young asian anime looking cute girl then go for it!... just tell him not to get his hope up... :P

pleasure chatting. lets let the thread continue with its asuna love. :P
FardaleMar 12, 2013 6:16 PM
Mar 12, 2013 6:17 PM

Apr 2009
bNq said:

Nidhoeggr said:

Getting into the details of that would defeat the purpose of the thread, but yeah: There are interesting observations to make.

And I like a damsel in distress when the trope is executed in a good way - just like every trope depends on the execution. The problem with SAO is that it gets way too much credit for such an terrible execution. it shows, just like with Guilty Crown, that the standards are really, REALLY low and that has an effect on the industry. If some of the SAO fanboys are really such great anime fans they should be more aware of the fact what this series represents.
Mar 12, 2013 6:18 PM

Mar 2013
bNq said:

Now, would you like to guess which country comes out on top of both of these? Hint: They're not producing a lot of cartoons, or at least, not as many as Japan.

dno who ur insinuating but its lesotho :P

Nidhoeggr said:
bNq said:

Nidhoeggr said:

Getting into the details of that would defeat the purpose of the thread, but yeah: There are interesting observations to make.

And I like a damsel in distress when the trope is executed in a good way - just like every trope depends on the execution. The problem with SAO is that it gets way too much credit for such an terrible execution. it shows, just like with Guilty Crown, that the standards are really, REALLY low and that has an effect on the industry. If some of the SAO fanboys are really such great anime fans they should be more aware of the fact what this series represents.

Unless they're reality escape #1 and anime lover #2 PRIORITIES MAN! PRIORITIES! why over analyse the beauty that is SAO? :(
Mar 12, 2013 6:18 PM

Nov 2011
bNq said:
I was curious why this thread was up all the time in the ticker, especially since I think Asuna is quite popular overall....
.... uneducated feminazi shitting up the thread. Oh well, mystery solved.

I won't bother with most of what you wrote, because the few sentences I read already wasted enough of my time. Just one quick thing, Japan has one of the lowest rape rates worldwide, same for their teenage pregancy rates.

Judging by your age I am pretty positive I have more education under my belt than you and *GASP* I even took some gender studies classes- Some taught by men, some by women. I'd also like to note that you pulled the 'TLDR' thing, which says something about your 'education' or dedication to it. But nice try there.

You may also want to provide links to prove what you say. I have a link, as a matter of fact, which shows Japan as being number 101 out of 131 countries in terms of sexism- 1 being the least sexist and 131 being the most sexist. Note that about two years ago, Japan was listed as 92. This means that either Japan is getting MORE sexist or other countries are progressing faster socially than Japan. US is 22, in case you were curious.

http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_GenderGap_Report_2012.pdf'

I can also provide links to other fun facts about Japan if you like- For example, there's one that states that 30% of all anime contains some amount of pedophilia (loli/shoutacon) and that child pron is readily available in most convenience stores in Japan. Or I can find several links discussing used panty vending machines. Or some discussing the legal age of consent in Japan being 13.

Believe it or not, I have done research on this. But nice try.
AmberlehMar 12, 2013 6:21 PM
Mar 12, 2013 6:24 PM

Mar 2013
Well now your going into fetishes which is to each their own so i suggest leaving the thread to what its supposed to be b4 it turns into forum wars and we get all worked up b4 a 3 hour sleep b4 work :P or the mods will rage at us :(
Mar 12, 2013 6:24 PM

Feb 2013
People don't like Asuna? when did this happen?

People love Asuna!

I am indifferent but Asuna is well written character
Strong and Smart.
Mar 12, 2013 6:26 PM

Apr 2009
Fardale said:

Unless they're reality escape #1 and anime lover #2 PRIORITIES MAN! PRIORITIES! why over analyse the beauty that is SAO? :(

If a single second of thinking is enough to come up with severe plotholes then I have problems accepting the "beauty" of this series at least on the writing side. Sadly, this isn't the case for a lot of people here so someone has to focus their attention on it. And given the fact that MAL is for rating and comparing series I don't see any reason against this practice. Actually, it should be encouraged.

PoisonedTea said:
Strong and Smart.

Too bad the "strong and smart" aspects are thrown out of the window, thereby destroying your argument of a well-written character.
Mar 12, 2013 6:27 PM

Mar 2013
PoisonedTea said:
People don't like Asuna? when did this happen?

People love Asuna!

Strong and Smart.

PoisonedTea gets it!
Mar 12, 2013 6:31 PM

Mar 2013
Nidhoeggr said:

If a single second of thinking is enough to come up with severe plotholes then I have problems accepting the "beauty" of this series at least on the writing side. Sadly, this isn't the case for a lot of people here so someone has to focus their attention on it. And given the fact that MAL is for rating and comparing series I don't see any reason against this practice. Actually, it should be encouraged.

I suppose. but most anime is full of plotholes and things that make us go "WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!" tbf i agree the ending wasnt brilliant overall or for asuna in the virtual helm. but i did love the characters, plot and the setting ever so much. just because the plot didnt work out in places doesnt mean fanboys arnt right to love it.

...i'm going to bed b4 i start anymore off topic wars ^^
Mar 12, 2013 6:34 PM

Apr 2009
Fardale said:

I suppose. but most anime is full of plotholes and things that make us go "WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!"

That's because most anime are bad.

Fardale said:
tbf i agree the ending wasnt brilliant overall or for asuna in the virtual helm. but i did love the characters, plot and the setting ever so much. just because the plot didnt work out in places doesnt mean fanboys arnt right to love it.

...i'm going to bed b4 i start anymore off topic wars ^^

Of course, but personal enjoyment is NEVER equal to the actual quality of any form of art on the technical level. I enjoy Inferno Cop, trash movies like Two-Headed Shark Attack, etc. but I'd never make state that they are masterpeieces (except IC, of course) because it is ultimately just my personal feeling towards this particular work. Yet, most anime fans do not discriminate and this is where it gets problematic.
Mar 12, 2013 6:37 PM

Jan 2012
Yes, these 4 years in difference probably gave you a big head start on the levels of education we received. You're probably even so smart, that you're simply too smart to use google and just come up with the internet adresses on your own instead, right? Because otherwise, you could've googled "rape rate worldwide" and - et voila - the first entry will already guide you to wikipedia. But I guess this is just how we youngsters like to do things.
There you will see that, in 2008 for example, the US were on the 7th rank on rape per 100k population. Japan is so much lower that I don't want to bother counting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics#UN_Rape_Statistics

About that ludicrous report you posted: The role of the woman is traditionally simply a different one in east asian countries than it is in the west. To further back this up, you can see how Indonesia ranked at 97 and S.Korea at 108 even. How you judge this is up to you, but it's clearly not the impact of anime/manga. Does this on the other hand have an impact on anime/manga? Yes of course, since the target audience are japanese people, and they're (both males and females) more comfortable with the way things are going there. But it's not just manga/anime, but every form of media. If you don't like how the country works, you're free to fuck off.

Also, let's not let aside how, even if the US scored somewhat well up there, that country is even more sexist than japan could ever dream of being. If one country stands for "sex sells" like no one else does, then it's the US.

I would very much be interested in that statistic of yours which says that 30% of anime contains "pedophilia". Especially how they define pedophilia in this case.

>and that child pron is readily available in most convenience stores in Japan.
That's so retarded that I'm honestly thinking of reporting you for trolling here now. You simply can't be serious.

>Or some discussing the legal age of consent in Japan being 13.
What's wrong with that? Also, again, you're just showing off how uneducated you are. Laws like these are mostly based on a prefectural base, so Tokyo for example has an age of conset of 18.
I think it's 16 in all of germany... we're such disgusting pedophiles, am I right sis?
bNqMar 12, 2013 6:41 PM
Mar 12, 2013 6:39 PM

Mar 2013
so why pick at it in a review? :P just say how it made u feel. hippy it up man. even if its "made me feel bad :(" and stop quoting/replying to my posts -.- its only keeps me awake and arguing for the sake of arguing. i started watching last night and finished roughly an hour b4 started posting on this thread. and now i'm a fanboy. u can beat me at being clever but u kno u can't end an arguement with a fanboy -.-
Mar 12, 2013 6:40 PM
Sep 2009
Good to know I'm not the only one who thought Asuna was a horrible character. Of course, I'm not really sure if I liked any of the characters from SAO.
Mar 12, 2013 6:48 PM

Apr 2009
Fardale said:
u can beat me at being clever but u kno u can't end an arguement with a fanboy -.-

I think this is a wonderful sentence to end our argument.
Have a good night!
Mar 12, 2013 6:53 PM

Nov 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_pornography_laws_in_Japan

Read the whole thing. Don't say 'tldr'.

I am aware of the age of consent being prefecture based, but the fact that they have not changed it to higher than 13 is an issue and the fact that you say "What's the problem with that?" Is also of concern. Children at the age of 13 are not fully developed mentally and therefore should not be allowed or put in a position where they can consent to something like sex with an adult. It is incredibly damaging to the child.

I never said anime made Japan sexist. That would be silly. Japan made anime sexist because Japan is sexist.

I'd also like to point out that during this exchange I have remained civil, while you seem to take personal offense to this whole deal and are really getting your knickers in a twist and calling me names and cursing and the like. I don't care because quite frankly it's only helping my case while hurting yours.

@Nid and Fardale- Good job you two. =) If only everyone could be this civil.

Also, in terms of rape stats- Are you aware of the fact that many people do not report rape? I have read that wiki page before, I was hoping you had a specific link tailored to Japan listing facts about how often it is reported, the social implications of reporting a rape and whether or not it is shameful to admit to being raped.
AmberlehMar 12, 2013 7:04 PM
Mar 12, 2013 7:08 PM

Jan 2012
I certainly will not read the whole article, as I'm already familiar with most of the facts and I know for a fact, tht what you said earlier is simply bullshit. I'm just puzzled yet as to whether you trolled, or are actually this stupid.
If I actually would have been wrong, you would've quoted an important part of the article which makes your point or something. You chose not to, because you realized you can't find something to support your claim.

>Children at the age of 13 are not fully developed mentally and therefore should not be allowed or put in a position where they can consent to something like sex with an adult. It is incredibly damaging to the child.
That's a discusssion for another thread. I'll just give you so much, why is it ok with 16, but not with 13? Is it ok with 15? How about 14 then? These baselines you made up were random and simply influenced by the way you were raised.

>Are you aware of the fact that many people do not report rape?
Of course, there will always be a dark number we don't know about. Again, this isn't a japan only thing though, it's just the same for the US or every other goddamn country.

>I'd also like to point out that during this exchange I have remained civil
You're such a good person! I only called you an uneducated feminazi if I'm seeing this right, nothing else. I don't see what's wrong about that, if you wish, I can elaborate. I'm cursing here and there, yes, but you only whine about this now because you realized how full of shit every single one of your posts were and that you can't actually bring anything else to the table.

I mean, just going back a site, you being offended by the type of girl some random creep is seeking for on craigslist? You couldn't be more of a feminazi.
Mar 12, 2013 7:21 PM

Nov 2011
bNq said:
I certainly will not read the whole article, as I'm already familiar with most of the facts and I know for a fact, tht what you said earlier is simply bullshit. I'm just puzzled yet as to whether you trolled, or are actually this stupid.
If I actually would have been wrong, you would've quoted an important part of the article which makes your point or something. You chose not to, because you realized you can't find something to support your claim.

>Children at the age of 13 are not fully developed mentally and therefore should not be allowed or put in a position where they can consent to something like sex with an adult. It is incredibly damaging to the child.
That's a discusssion for another thread. I'll just give you so much, why is it ok with 16, but not with 13? Is it ok with 15? How about 14 then? These baselines you made up were random and simply influenced by the way you were raised.

>Are you aware of the fact that many people do not report rape?
Of course, there will always be a dark number we don't know about. Again, this isn't a japan only thing though, it's just the same for the US or every other goddamn country.

>I'd also like to point out that during this exchange I have remained civil
You're such a good person! I only called you an uneducated feminazi if I'm seeing this right, nothing else. I don't see what's wrong about that, if you wish, I can elaborate. I'm cursing here and there, yes, but you only whine about this now because you realized how full of shit every single one of your posts were and that you can't actually bring anything else to the table.

I mean, just going back a site, you being offended by the type of girl some random creep is seeking for on craigslist? You couldn't be more of a feminazi.

So you ask for facts and then refuse to read them when I present them to you?

It sounds to me like you want to just keep playing ostrich- Which is fine, but if that is the case then you should not engage in these arguments.

I didn't specifically quote anything because I summarized it before- The facts all come together if you read the whole thing. If you don't want to read then fine, but don't star arguments you aren't willing to actually listen to. You can call me ignorant all you want, but I think we both know it is quite the opposite.

16 is not much better, but it IS a little better because your brain is more developed at 16 than it is at 13 and you have more life experience under your belt. 14 you are still undeveloped and 15-16 is still undeveloped but moreso than 13. Much of it, however, comes down to each individual. I am an avid believer that the age required for starring in porn should be raised to 22 because 18 you really are still undeveloped mentally. Even 22 is young but it's 4 years more life experience and brain development. I'm also a realist however and I know that the porn industry is too powerful to ever allow this change.

My posts are not 'full of shit' as I have provided examples to back up all of my posts. You just don't want to read them.

In any case, I'm out as this is silly and you clearly just want to argue for the sake of arguing, without actually listening or taking in the facts presented to you. Good evening.
Mar 13, 2013 2:57 AM
Oct 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
Fardale said:

PoisonedTea said:
Strong and Smart.

Too bad the "strong and smart" aspects are thrown out of the window, thereby destroying your argument of a well-written character.

What exactly are these severe plotholes you are talking about? The only thing that wasn't explicitely explained was Asuna overcoming paralysis.
By the way, plotholes don't make a movie/anime shit, several of the movies considered masterpieces or good have plotholes.
Mar 13, 2013 3:41 AM

Nov 2011
whatever123456 said:
Nidhoeggr said:
Fardale said:

PoisonedTea said:
Strong and Smart.

What exactly are these severe plotholes you are talking about? The only thing that wasn't explicitely explained was Asuna overcoming paralysis.
By the way, plotholes don't make a movie/anime shit, several of the movies considered masterpieces or good have plotholes.

SAO has more than just plotholes contributing to it's slew of problems. But allow me to point out a few plotholes/inconsistancies.

1. Kayaba. He is a MASS MURDERER. Had he not died and if Japan had the death penalty, he would be executed. Yet in the show Kirito has RESPECT for him. RESPECT FOR A MASS MURDERER because he "didn't run away". Seriously? Is the guy trying to allude that he had respect for Hitler? Because guess what- Kayaba did something incredibly similar to what Hitler did.

2. Asuna. Asuna is initially portrayed as someone strong- She tells Kirito "We can protect eachother", which is a GREAT quote. Yet by the end she says "Save me Kirito!" and "I knew you would rescue me!" She also lets him fight her battles for her, as with the Knights of the Blood Oath.

3. Kayaba again. They never explain his motivations- It's just "Lol because he felt like it". He even says himself "I don't remember why anymore." You know what that is? LAZY WRITING.

4. Both MMOs did not accurately ever explain the rules within their worlds. They explained them briefly, and even the rules laid out in those brief explanations were broken on several occassions. The author did not bother to write down his own game rules, which should be the VERY FIRST THING you do when writing a story about a game. In fact that's just common sense- Most shounen series do this, even Naruto, One Piece, and Fairy Tail lay out the rules of their worlds and try to stick to them.

5. How the hell did Kirito beat the most powerful player in the game in Alfheim? I have played MMOs. I played WoW for 7 years. Sorry, but a level 40 in terrible gear can't beat a level 85 in full epics. It is physically impossible, no matter how much skill as a player the level 40 may have.

6. Sugu, when Kirito casts his illusionary beast magic specifically states "That is only an illusion, it does not increase your power at all" yet somehow Kirito makes it real? Come ON. They didn't even try to give us a BS explanation.

7. WHAT KIND OF GOVERNMENT WOULD ALLOW A COMPANY TO STRAIGHT-UP BUILD ANOTHER GAME RIGHT ON TOP OF A GAME THAT MURDERED THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE? In fact, what kind of government would continue to allow the use of the head gear? Not one that would ever exist in reality. He could have TRIED to make it even a LITTLE more believable.

8. Tentacle monster 'players'. They were actual people playing those characters, in a game where the only avatars you can choose are elves and cat people. Ummmmmmmmmm... No. I don't care if they are GMs, it made no sense whatsoever within the context of the game. Pretty much he just wanted to write some almost-tentacle-rape, that's what it comes down to.

9. They state over, and over, and over, that there is a time limit on their wings in Alfheim. Yet time and time again, they reach the barrier where their wings should run out, and they just float there for a while with their wings still 100% functional. And not JUST our over-powered Gary Stu known as Kirito- Sugu does it as well.

10. Remember when Kirito came out of his coma, how skinny and scraggly he looked? Yet Asuna remains perfect. She didn't lose any weight despite the fact that she hasn't been eating for two years and has only had an IV. I can buy that her hair and all that is still perfect because she has a doting father and that creepoid always caring for her.

11. The creepoid being in love with Asuna. She would have been 13 or 14 or something when she last spoke to him, right? Right. Yeah, sorry. Not buying it.

12. Kirito states he loves Asuna, yet says to his sister "I don't know how I feel about you", thereby continuing to lead her on. Then they have their magical incest dancing moment in the sky- more leading her on, despite saying he is loyal to Asuna? Eerm.

There's more, many more, but I think you get my point. SAO is FULL of plot holes and inconsistencies.
AmberlehMar 13, 2013 3:48 AM
Mar 13, 2013 7:12 AM

Aug 2012
Holy...what did I just walk into...

1) Kirito respects him for something deeper than that. Think about it

3) This isn't bad writing, it's just a way for them to keep the series going, the anime is basically on hold right now, the novel/manga on the other hand is still going

4) Doesn't matter because it's not a real MMO

5) happens in maplestory and pokemon

6) kirito soul hacks, oh lets not forget that the transformation messes with his mentality

7) No one knew it was modified off of sword art, the pervert was a thief. Kirito only knew because of his child was part of the program

8) the leader is a pervert, it only makes sense that his minions were perverts too

11) you answered this on your own with your above rant post of the 13 and older is legal and moral in japan

12) It's a damn good thing Kirito isn't "perfect", because I hate hero boys (I hate hero girls too, know what I'm saying? ~.^)

All of these plot holes and inconsistencies are just your opinions and perspectives of it, as you can see I disagree with most of your cherry picked opinions
GhostonyMar 13, 2013 7:28 AM
Mar 13, 2013 8:00 AM

Jan 2012
This reply is also directed at Amberleh, since I disagree with some of the above posters statements.

1. was already accurately answered by the previous poster.

2. Yeah, fuck Asuna. Useless bitch, how can she let herself be abducted by that fag? She should've just roundhouse kicked him out of her coma, who the fuck needs men to save them!? Seriously, what should she have done?

3. Pay attention to the shows you watch at least before bitching about them. His reasonings were already layed out in SAO.

4. Oh man, another one of these brilliant points you make all the time. Yes, they should have to go through a mandatory tutorial in which everything gets explained. Would one 20 minute episode be enough in your opinion to cover basic rules of a MMO? Also I'd like to hear more about what explanations you were missing, like what, how to equip a different cloak?
On a not so sarcastic note: All the players within the games were completely familiar with the rules. I think at early SAO Kirito even mentions there being an ingame manual. It would be plain retarded to give this more screentime than it requires, they explained the basic things and that's fine. You're just looking for things to bitch about.

5. You mean that Villain at the end? I hope not, because if you do, I actually will stop responding to your posts from now on. In case you do, it was well explained how he could "kill "him.

6. not sure about what scene you're talking, so I'll shut up on this one.

7. Believe it or not, but people die in car accidents or infront of their computer even. Both of these items are still not illegal. This is outrageous, where can I complain about this?! See Ghostony's response for a less sarcastic one.

8. Why would it not make sense? GMs can change their playermodels into everything they like.

9. You do have a point with this, but that's just something which would be annoying to actually stay on top of. Imagine them stopping every 5 minutes to recharge their wings, it would be retarded. This doesn't make it less bad, but it's simply an acceptable flaw which we have to deal with in many fictional works.

10. Another actual valid point.

11. What's wrong about falling in love with a 13 year old? Have some tolerance for god's sake.

12. Just because he has strong feelings for one girl, doesn't mean he can't have them for another too. Especially if she's his sister.

So, most of these are neither plot holes nor inconsistencies, but just more of your baseless ranting (mostly).

I will reply to the other post soon as well.

Not sure if I should make a new post for this one, or keep it in a single. I'll keep it at one for now, someone notify me if that's too fucked up though.

You didn't "present" me any facts, that's exactly what I'm saying. You're giving me a wiki article on a subject which isn't supporting your claim in the slightest, and because you know that, you refuse to quote certain sentences which would make your case.
But I do probably know what you're talking about anyway, junior idols? If so, that's not CP. And if you actually meant that, I will report you for trolling.

>16 is not much better, but it IS a little better because your brain is more developed at 16 [...]
First of all, I actually had to laugh out loud at that comment about pornstars. This is my first time arguing with an actual hardcore feminazi.

About the rest, I already adressed that exame issue earlier. Why is 16 ok? Why is 18 ok? Why not let people have to wait until they get married to have sexual intercourse, like it's already the norm in some countries?
Because you're influenced by random stuff that you came across in your childhood. Other people, especially from foreign cultures, will disagree.

I'd really like to drop this topic now though, since it's not part at all of the initial discussion. You just have to understand that your moralevalues aren't universally applicable.

> My posts are not 'full of shit' as I have provided examples to back up all of my posts. You just don't want to read them.
I would like to read them, where's that statistic about 30% of anime containing some form of pedophilia for example? And when you posted that ranking about, I don't know what it was titled anymore, I carefully read it and posted quite a bit about it myself. Even tried to explain to you why japan ranked at the place it did. I'm not nearly as ignorant as you try to make me out to be.

bNqMar 13, 2013 8:20 AM
Mar 13, 2013 8:55 AM
Oct 2012
Amberleh said:
whatever123456 said:
Nidhoeggr said:
Fardale said:

PoisonedTea said:
Strong and Smart.

SAO has more than just plotholes contributing to it's slew of problems. But allow me to point out a few plotholes/inconsistancies.

1. Kayaba. He is a MASS MURDERER. Had he not died and if Japan had the death penalty, he would be executed. Yet in the show Kirito has RESPECT for him. RESPECT FOR A MASS MURDERER because he "didn't run away". Seriously? Is the guy trying to allude that he had respect for Hitler? Because guess what- Kayaba did something incredibly similar to what Hitler did.

2. Asuna. Asuna is initially portrayed as someone strong- She tells Kirito "We can protect eachother", which is a GREAT quote. Yet by the end she says "Save me Kirito!" and "I knew you would rescue me!" She also lets him fight her battles for her, as with the Knights of the Blood Oath.

3. Kayaba again. They never explain his motivations- It's just "Lol because he felt like it". He even says himself "I don't remember why anymore." You know what that is? LAZY WRITING.

4. Both MMOs did not accurately ever explain the rules within their worlds. They explained them briefly, and even the rules laid out in those brief explanations were broken on several occassions. The author did not bother to write down his own game rules, which should be the VERY FIRST THING you do when writing a story about a game. In fact that's just common sense- Most shounen series do this, even Naruto, One Piece, and Fairy Tail lay out the rules of their worlds and try to stick to them.

5. How the hell did Kirito beat the most powerful player in the game in Alfheim? I have played MMOs. I played WoW for 7 years. Sorry, but a level 40 in terrible gear can't beat a level 85 in full epics. It is physically impossible, no matter how much skill as a player the level 40 may have.

6. Sugu, when Kirito casts his illusionary beast magic specifically states "That is only an illusion, it does not increase your power at all" yet somehow Kirito makes it real? Come ON. They didn't even try to give us a BS explanation.

7. WHAT KIND OF GOVERNMENT WOULD ALLOW A COMPANY TO STRAIGHT-UP BUILD ANOTHER GAME RIGHT ON TOP OF A GAME THAT MURDERED THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE? In fact, what kind of government would continue to allow the use of the head gear? Not one that would ever exist in reality. He could have TRIED to make it even a LITTLE more believable.

8. Tentacle monster 'players'. They were actual people playing those characters, in a game where the only avatars you can choose are elves and cat people. Ummmmmmmmmm... No. I don't care if they are GMs, it made no sense whatsoever within the context of the game. Pretty much he just wanted to write some almost-tentacle-rape, that's what it comes down to.

9. They state over, and over, and over, that there is a time limit on their wings in Alfheim. Yet time and time again, they reach the barrier where their wings should run out, and they just float there for a while with their wings still 100% functional. And not JUST our over-powered Gary Stu known as Kirito- Sugu does it as well.

10. Remember when Kirito came out of his coma, how skinny and scraggly he looked? Yet Asuna remains perfect. She didn't lose any weight despite the fact that she hasn't been eating for two years and has only had an IV. I can buy that her hair and all that is still perfect because she has a doting father and that creepoid always caring for her.

11. The creepoid being in love with Asuna. She would have been 13 or 14 or something when she last spoke to him, right? Right. Yeah, sorry. Not buying it.

12. Kirito states he loves Asuna, yet says to his sister "I don't know how I feel about you", thereby continuing to lead her on. Then they have their magical incest dancing moment in the sky- more leading her on, despite saying he is loyal to Asuna? Eerm.

There's more, many more, but I think you get my point. SAO is FULL of plot holes and inconsistencies.

You don't really seem to know what plotholes are. A character behaving in a way you don't like or different from you is not a plothole.

1. Kirito didn't forgive him but still respected him for his work.

2. That's just stupid.
You didn't notice that their circumstances changed? Like while she was a high leveled and free in SAO and an imprisoned npc in ALO? There's nothing she could do in her situation and everyone would get desperate after months of imprisonment and harassment.

3. You seem to have selective memory. He actually talked about his childhood dream and his reasons for doing what he did after saying he was not sure anymore. That "I don't really know anymore" just meant that he questioned what he did after he did it.

4. Where exactly were these rules broken? This would be something you could have mentioned as a plothole, what you mentioned so far would be problems with the characterisation and not plotholes.
Why are you mentioning the author? The LN is 50% exposition on game mechanics.

5. Ridiculous. Why are you using WoW as a comparison here? Has it ever been stated that ALO has the same mechanics as WoW? (SAO was written before WoW was released by the way)
It was even mentioned that there are no levels in ALO and player skill is the most important factor. Were you asleep or didn't you watch it?

6. It didn't increase his power. He already oneshotted his opponents in ALO before. The problem was that he couldn't break their formation and block, after his spell the salamanders broke their formation so he could easily oneshot them.

7. Ridiculous again. It was mentioned that it was neither the same company nor the same device.
Why would the government stop a DIFFERENT company from releasing a game on a DIFFERENT device that also has tons of safety mechanisms?
Try watching the show before you spout nonsense.

8. There was some pseudo explanation for their appearance in the novel, but it was an excuse for the tentacle scene, yes. How is that a plothole/inconsistency? It's fanservice, you may not like it but you don't really seem to grasp what a plothole is.

9. Inside the world tree players had unlimited flight for the encounter. Wasn't explained by the anime, like so many things, but not a plothole.

10. How is Asuna's appearance relevant to the plot? Not a plothole, just something the animators either missed or they didn't want to portray Asuna ugly to the fans.

11. This is getting tiring. He was never in love with her, they just planned to make Sugou part of the family by marrying Asuna to him. Political marriage. Try watching the show.

12. Pretty sure he openly rejected her. The dance was just them making up as siblings.

So, pretty much every point was nonsense that could have been cleared up by paying attention. A few things are A-1's fault for just skipping them. None of these are plotholes.
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
May 16, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.