Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 21, 2013 12:21 AM

Jun 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The finale of the TV series was kind of abrupt (because it got cancelled, I think), but I liked it better than this. After 11 episodes of sitcom, weirdness, and goof jokes, it's hard to swallow a story more grounded in the day-to-day of the characters' actual job. I also question spending so much time on Kumagami who to the last remains barely characterized.

Overall, I'm not too happy with this second OVA and got kind of sick of it by the end. I don't mind not pushing so hard on the robot thing but dropping it pretty much completely after wrapping-up the Griffin storyline made the series feel lopsided.
Mar 21, 2013 9:31 PM

Sep 2012
I felt this ep was a little too heavy-handed, especially for an ending.
Jan 30, 2015 2:33 AM

Nov 2011
There goes my heartache. I'll miss this Patlabor. Now it's time to miss the Patlabor with Oshii as director.

And to think that there may still be a rich history in each of the characters after seeing Shinohara's father. Goddamnit.
Feb 5, 2017 10:18 AM

Jul 2013
There were couple of good episodes and the comic episodes were still fun but the characters often felt off on them which kinda soured things.

And yet again they left the main storyline without ending. Maybe at the time that storyline wasn't finished on the manga which is why they couldn't complete it but even if that was the case then should have just made an original ending instead. They had plenty of episodes to do that.
Feb 18, 2017 8:13 AM

Aug 2016
I liked this ova more than the on on television.. 8/10
sad that it's over :'(
Nanika ga Okashii
Jun 18, 2017 6:46 AM

Jun 2015
After the whole TV series-OVA and a good year and a half it might be the right time to rewatch the movies.

New Files met my expectations greatly. It gave a completion to the Griffin arc, that even if not the strongest (mainly because of Richard Wong) was asking for some sort of better closure than the nonexistent one it received during the TV series.

Actually, the main series wasn't that much cancelled as it did get prolonged twice. It was originally going to cover up until the point Kanuka left, and that was like episode 25 or so.

And then, we have the remaining 10 episodes of hilarity. I'd love Patlabor to be endless just for these. No disappointments, I really got what I was looking for and this will remain as one of my favorite entries from the franchise.
Sep 5, 2019 10:02 AM

Jun 2015
Thanks for the journey, Patlabor. Still have the movie timeline to explore, but maybe another day.
Feb 29, 2020 9:59 AM

Feb 2017
I thought they were going on a date, but nah, just taking her to see the grave of his suicidal brother.

Aug 27, 2020 1:21 PM

Jul 2008
I could watch 200 episodes of these guys but alas.

All good things right?
Feb 8, 2022 4:59 PM
Feb 2019
Oh man... I'm pretty sad its all over... I originally watched the 7 OVA original, the 3 movies, and then the tv series and this OVA... it was all such a joy. It'd be awesome if someone published the manga in english, but I doubt that will ever happen at this point.

What a journey. I freaking love Patblabor, and I seriously think every entry in the franchise is awesome

INGRAM!
Oct 2, 2022 8:18 PM

May 2014
this was a really nice episode. felt like it should have been in the middle of the tv series instead.

this ova series mostly felt like mediocre unaired episodes that didn't make it into the tv show. i barely got any of the sense of hanging out with a bunch of fun characters which is what i was watching patlabor for. i didn't have nearly as much fun with this as the tv series. oh well
Dec 22, 2023 2:52 PM

Jan 2021
So the dog in the OP really was a bait after all. I was expecting them to adopt a dog mascot this whole time but it never came to be. They did briefly get that cat though, which is in many ways better.
Apr 16, 9:18 PM

Oct 2019
Damn, kinda sad we never finished up with the Lieutenant and Richard Wong stuff. Im glad they somehow finished griphon stuff but wished they did more with it. There were some more laughs throughout these eps like the bath ep and some more little callbacks to prior eps. I had an ok time but wished it was handled better. My next endeavor is to watch the movies now.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: The New Files Episode 7 Discussion

Fronzel - Feb 15, 2013

8 by FireRifle64 »»
Apr 12, 7:52 PM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: The New Files Episode 14 Discussion

ChexGuy - Mar 21, 2013

12 by divlyfein »»
Feb 8, 6:14 PM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: The New Files Episode 12 Discussion

zetsu_shoren - Jan 26, 2015

12 by divlyfein »»
Feb 8, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: The New Files Episode 10 Discussion

zetsu_shoren - Jan 26, 2015

6 by divlyfein »»
Feb 8, 2:03 PM

Poll: » Mobile Police Patlabor: The New Files Episode 11 Discussion

Silent_Four-Eyes - Feb 14, 2017

4 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Dec 19, 2023 11:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.