Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 24, 2012 5:24 PM

Jul 2012
I'm starting to get irritated by the amount of profanity appearing in some subbing groups releases. Binbougami Ga! (GG) most recently comes to mind.

It just isn't needed given how emotive both anime/manga art and the Japanese language is. My main complaint is it makes some otherwise fun and children-friendly shows inappropriate.
me-262Aug 24, 2012 5:28 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 9, 2012 11:14 AM

May 2012
I really don't think it would have the same emphasis if they didn't use profanity. For example, if a character shouts "Kuso!" in anger, translating it to "Crap!" really wouldn't really carry the same meaning as "Shit!"
I also think that many Anime's are not intended for children, and anyway I don't think a few profane words are very much of an issue.
Oct 25, 2012 12:17 AM

Nov 2010
Well you can always choose a different subbing group, like DrizztDoUrden said it's probably for the emphasis and for extra oomph I guess you could say. They probably don't have to say the word completely but it gets their point across more. I don't know about which anime could possibly be kids anime that use that(because Bimbougami is definitely not one).
Jan 8, 2013 3:41 PM

Jan 2013
Do you happen to like fuzzy squares on your hentai? Censorship is censorship - unless you're a minor, in which case it's called parental guidance and you shouldn't be watching it in the first place...

Even if we're not talking about such extreme cases, I think most people here prefers subs because they don't modify the anime as the dubs do.
My favorite genres: good Quality, better Quality, best Quality, Über-Quality.
Scoring criteria: Existence does not precede Essence.

Current status: OFFLINE. Even if not really.
I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Jan 10, 2013 10:18 PM

Nov 2010
Maegil said:
Do you happen to like fuzzy squares on your hentai? Censorship is censorship - unless you're a minor, in which case it's called parental guidance and you shouldn't be watching it in the first place...

Even if we're not talking about such extreme cases, I think most people here prefers subs because they don't modify the anime as the dubs do.
You obviously didn't read the first post. He's not talking about censorship, he's talking about subbers putting in excessive profanity.
Jan 15, 2013 6:23 AM

Jul 2012
Most of the anime in this sites database has the PG rating from Japan listed. Anime is generally intended for a much younger audience in Japan, since it's used as a tool for teaching societal values and language, as well as entertainment. FYI Binbougami Ga is rated PG13+.

The fact is, there's very little anime that has swearing in the original Japanese dialogue. I have no issue if it's *supposed* to be there, but in most cases what we have is just subbers providing incorrect translations and corrupting the original content. 'kuso' only = shit in literal translation to english, or rather something closer to just 'poo', which in english is also a completely different word to shit. 'kuso' can also just be a general emotive, for example an undesirable situation or event occurs (wind blows some money away - dammit!) or also a desirable one (busty woman walks past you - damn!).

Even if translators are incapable of understanding context, presumably they can still understand english sufficiently to realize that a PG13 show shouldn't have it's main character screaming 'fucker' or the like every 2 minutes.

Do a proper job, or don't do it at all. Keep that shit where it belongs - on american television.
me-262Jan 15, 2013 6:26 AM
Oct 23, 2013 9:43 AM

Jul 2012
me-262 said:
I'm starting to get irritated by the amount of profanity appearing in some subbing groups releases. Binbougami Ga! (GG) most recently comes to mind.

It just isn't needed given how emotive both anime/manga art and the Japanese language is. My main complaint is it makes some otherwise fun and children-friendly shows inappropriate.

I love it when you can clearly trace a major, life-changing event to some random or inconsequential action. Amusingly enough, without GG and their insatiable need to add profanity, I'd have never got sufficiently annoyed to go to the Hadena subs site to make a post asking them to finish the series. Without going into inordinate detail, that visit precipitated a cascade series of the most unlikely possibilities imaginable. Long story short, I met 'the' girl of my life that day, and nothing has been the same for me since. Awesome. Fuck you GG, you magnificent bastards, I'm still not watching your subs! ^w^
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» So, because we only watch subtitled, how far will you go? ( 1 2 )

Xinil - Jul 25, 2007

90 by DreamingGhost »»
May 27, 2023 1:33 PM

» soft subs or hard subs

ranax - Jan 28, 2008

30 by DreamingGhost »»
May 27, 2023 1:27 PM

» Dattebayo Staff Arrested at Otakon

Gremshula - Jul 27, 2007

23 by Mana »»
Apr 3, 2016 7:21 PM

» Let's draw a line between ''I simply don't watch dubs'' and ''Screw 'em all''

Nobleman - Oct 31, 2007

42 by IntroverTurtle »»
Oct 25, 2012 12:08 AM

» the worst dubs ( 1 2 3 )

yin- - Sep 7, 2007

104 by TwinofPower »»
Jan 2, 2012 4:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.