Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 12, 2010 4:06 PM

Aug 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Honestly, this movie wasn't anything special. It had pretty much every single cliché used on shonen anime series-based movies. Oh, well, at least it wasn't boring.

6/10

(Also, maybe it's just me, but it seemed like the creators of this movie were Yusuke/Botan shippers or something like that. I mean, Keiko barely appears at all, and Yusuke seems much more pissed off by the villains hurting Botan than by the fact that they also attacked Keiko. Not to mention that one of the last scenes of the movie features Yusuke and Botan smiling at each other while he's holding her in his arms. Awkward...)
"I know about people who talk about suffering for the common good. It's never bloody them! When you hear a man shouting "Forward, brave comrades!" you'll see he's the one behind the bloody big rock and the one wearing the only really arrow-proof helmet!"

-- Rincewind gives a speech on politics. (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)
Sep 18, 2010 2:32 PM
Apr 2009
Honestly, when I sit down to watch a movie based on a popular long-running shonen anime, I don't expect anything remotely great in story, character development or anything. Mainly I just want to see some of my favorite characters interact on the big screen in wonderful high-budget animation. Where the animation is involved, Poltergeist Report is wonderful. Yu Yu Hakusho has never looked so good as it does here (though it starts to get sloppy near the end). I thought the whole intro scene in which the river Styx overflows and floods the Spirit World was really cool.

The character side of the equation is where this movie fails spectacularly. Like Golden Seal, the screen writers seemed to completely forget that a lot of Yu Yu Hakusho's charm is in the wisecracking and goofy diaglog between the characters. The whole thing is way too serious with little to no comedy element.

I also mourned the loss of the Funimation dubbers in this movie. Yusuke, Kuwabara and Genkai just don't seem like themselves without Justin Cook, Chris Sabat and Linda Young. I felt that the voice actors used in this movie did actually put some effort into their roles (except for Hiei, he was god awful), as opposed to the Golden Seal dub which was so wooden and halting they shouldn't have even bothered.

The english dubbing was obviously low budget. Listening to the meager voice actors delegated to filling in the background and crowd noises was just sad. (The seriousness of the lady buying avocados was so silly that it stuck out awkwardly, and the panicking masses represented by just two women's voices? They honestly couldn't find a 'screaming crowd' sound effect?) Also, a lot of sound effects were lost during the dubbing, leading to even more awkwardness it the dramatic battle scenes.

Concerning the whole Yusuke/Botan dynamic, it didn't really bug me at the time, but now that you mention it, there did seem to be a strange kind of almost-romance going on. What I thought was odd was how Keiko sort of just vanished in the script after Yusuke left her to fight.
Jan 21, 2011 7:22 PM

Nov 2009
Despite it's obvious flaws, it was a movie that provided a short relief from nothing better to do. I enjoyed it while it lasted.

The animation was nice and fluid, which definitely makes the movie enjoyable to watch. The backgrounds were well drawn, all in all definitely pleasing visually.

I'm not going to even discuss the character development. As said above, don't expect a great story line or good character development in movies based off of shounen animes.

The dub was just awful, the entire time it was like tin-foil was being shoved up my ears. I felt like the actors were just saying their lines mechanically, without trying to convey any emotion whatsoever. I really wish I could have found the subbed version online, ah well.

Does anyone else find it strange that they pronounce Kuwabara's name in the dub "Kuwahara"?

Lastly, there was an absolute favoritism shown toward the Yusuke/Botan ship in this movie, which was extremely out of place but honestly that hardly bothered me. I've never been a fan of the whole "childhood friend falls in love with childhood friend" scenario, and the fact that Keiko has absolutely no flaws makes her unlikable to me. To be honest, I think Yusuke and Botan in canon would have been much more interesting.
TamiyiJan 21, 2011 7:28 PM
May 19, 2012 12:47 AM

Jun 2010
Pretty bad, even as a shallow action movie based that relies on a pre-existing story to supply background. We get a one-shot character for the movie but she has no personality other than "likes Botan" and it doesn't even show why. Botan herself doesn't get to do anything which I find disappointing since she's so likable.

Lastly, there was an absolute favoritism shown toward the Yusuke/Botan ship in this movie, which was extremely out of place but honestly that hardly bothered me. I've never been a fan of the whole "childhood friend falls in love with childhood friend" scenario, and the fact that Keiko has absolutely no flaws makes her unlikable to me. To be honest, I think Yusuke and Botan in canon would have been much more interesting.

Childhood friends are pretty boring, but personally I liked that there's a cute girl who's constantly interacting with the male lead with amicable enthusiasm who isn't in love with him.
Apr 4, 2015 7:07 AM
Jul 2018
Haha the Yusuke x Botan ship is real in this film. Luckily I watched this subbed, so I didn't have to hear the low budget dub.

Animation was nice, and art felt a little darker. We got some non-canon characters, the friend of Kurama's felt a little cliche, but in actuality he really died, and Kurama was dealing with a fake. Another character, Hinageshi whom was just the plot device for the power sphere and didn't serve much of a purpose.

The plot was quite simple and what you'd expect from shounen movies. Since Togashi wasn't involved, it obviously felt different with character interaction, and writing style. (These factors can't be helped with a shounen movie)

I also wasn't too fond with some of the fights, especially HieivsRaigo and the final one.

I'm quite subjective towards YYH, so I tried not to give it too low of a score, 6/10.

P.S Where did Keiko go?!
Apr 29, 2015 12:05 AM

Aug 2013
Yusuke attempting to endure the Power Sphere reminded me of him trying to absorb Genkai's spirit wave orb during the Dark Tournament Arc.

I suppose something like the Netherworld is as non-canon as it gets.
Feb 5, 2019 9:38 AM

Aug 2015
For it being from the 90's holy shit it was a pretty good film. Some people probably wont enjoy it but I feel its pretty underrated for it being from 94.. I mean the visuals were absolutely great.. Pierrot really fell throughout the years huh.
Apr 5, 2020 9:01 AM

Nov 2015
damn it i'm not a hundred percent certain at what point should i start this movie, the wiki says 9 april and that would be the date for an episode also, the one before kuwabara gets kidnapped (?) which doesn't make any sense... i kinda far off from that point now (episode 90 ish), so i better do it for once and for all-

edit: the dub is awful and a lot of scenes were scrapped :(
the plot is interesting but the characters are so stupid unlike the tv series where they seem to fit more in the situation.. also i don't kurama fighting style ugh this guy likes pain too much..

edit: the ending song is so out lmao, the direction is horrible some scenes loose coherence and is better off without them.. thee ending is so anti climatic as well :s anyway i have to see it like three times because i couldn't concentrate in the little plot this has, like is soo boring and dragged out.. that mess.

the only good thing that i observed was the transition atmos into the netherworld pretty cool :)
Berry-VodkaApr 20, 2020 7:42 AM

💢

Aug 2, 2021 3:10 PM
Jul 2018
This movie had pretty much everything going for it except the story. Ir could have been way better if they reduced the movie to about 75 minutes. A lot of the fights fot dragged down and it didn't really feel like I was watching Yu Yu Hakusho. The middle part was also kind of boring to watch with some cringe moments sprinkled over. The first 35 minutes with the characters trying to obtain the elements could have been made way more interesting. While the plot was something that could go into something really interesting, the story progressed like any other beginning arcs of some shounen anime. The Animation was excellent consistently throughout the entire film. The colors felt darker with harsh black lighting which was so cool to watch. 6-7/10
May 31, 2022 11:26 AM

Jul 2017
This movie was very disappointing.

I really wish it had the excellent dub like the TV series, but that's just a small part of the negatives. The art and animation seemed kind of strange for a lot of this film with Yusuke often looking smooshed or stretched. Action scenes were choppy and often consist of one of the heroes running at another guy and delivering a jumping attack. The movie emphasizes gore but lacks interesting fights: it's edgier with no substance. Most of the minor enemies go down in a second or two. The plot, even with its standard self-contained movie format, didn't make a lot of sense. They introduce a character who is basically Botan, have some stuff happen to Botan so that the heroes need to rescue her, and the movie ends with some weird magical "hey we just got stronger because of the plot" thing going on. The Power Sphere is basically a "do whatever we want without any in-world reason why" button.

There is a slight Botan x Yusuke thing going on (why?), and the movie has to remind us of the relationship between Hiei and Yukina in a very weird bit of exposition. Dialogue seems too heroic and serious with Yusuke not being a delinquent as I expect. Also what the heck is the Netherworld? They introduce an element of the Netherworld demons having crosses on their bodies, implying some kind of thing with the Netherworld being something perhaps related to Christianity, but this is never explained at all. I don't see why the Netherworld was even created for this film as it's just weird and pointless. Lastly, the movie is also missing the great musick of the TV show, though there are a few good tunes.

I did like some of the visuals towards the end, and there was some okay rising action there. Otherwise, I was not very into this film at all.
satyrelfheimMay 31, 2022 11:30 AM
Jul 29, 2023 7:21 PM

Jul 2021
"You never tried to kill us!" Did Yusuke forget the first time they've met? 

Fights were entertaining, but the power sphere thing was corny and dumb.

The Kurama and Kuronue stuff was a bit confusing and also a bit dumb but I liked it.

it was very run of the mil overall, I did like how the villain correlates to one of the show's main themes atleast.
AzafuseKingToraJul 30, 2023 10:45 AM
May 27, 4:59 AM
Jul 2021
Boring asf movie. Horrible at almost everything. Skip if you want to.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Jun 14, 8:40 AM
Dec 2019
Its nice to see 90s Studio Pierrot working with a movie budget but that's about it. Having to watch this movie in Japanese due to a lack of the good dub was also a big minus. Just really nothing special to grab onto with this one. I think it would've been kinda sick to see some Yu Yu Hakusho in theaters back in the 90s but its a mediocre product on its own.

More topics from this board

» English dub

funtime43_tr - Aug 22, 2022

2 by Apratim »»
Apr 4, 2023 9:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.